Start by marking “How I Became a Quant: Insights from 25 of Wall Street's Elite” as Want to Read:
How I Became a Quant: Insights from 25 of Wall Street's Elite

How I Became a Quant: Insights from 25 of Wall Street's Elite

Praise for How I Became a Quant

-Led by two top-notch quants, Richard R. Lindsey and Barry Schachter, How I Became a Quant details the quirky world of quantitative analysis through stories told by some of today's most successful quants. For anyone who might have thought otherwise, there are engaging personalities behind all that number crunching!-
--Ira Kawaller, Kawaller
Published July 1st 2007 by John Wiley & Sons

To ask other readers questions about How I Became a Quant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How I Became a Quant

Start your review of How I Became a Quant: Insights from 25 of Wall Street's Elite
Clare
Jan 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: finance, bio, non-fiction
Uneven and slightly disappointing collection of essays from practitioners in the field of quantitative finance, but there are some gems.
SWAROOP CHOUGULE
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As the title suggests, this book throws light on the process of how to become a quant. Quant is a person who specializes in application of mathematical techniques to financial domain, making models to predict returns or manage risks etc. The stories shared are highly inspiring and guides one to becoming a quant. Though personally I think, times have changed a lot from when PhDs in math or physics was requisite in the beginning period of quantitative finance. Today, a lot of master courses help g ...more
Yushi Wei
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everyone knows that, due to the fatter than lognormal tails in most asset returns, far- from-the-money options should generally be priced significantly above the Black-Scholes formula price.

An interesting assortment of short essays written by the practitioners of financial engineering. Not a lot of depth, nice and easy leisure read though!
Harry Lijia Qin
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jakub Rehor
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This collection of essays by quants lets you inside their heads and into the somewhat secretive world of quantitative investing. As in any collection, the quality is uneven, but the best chapters are golden (I highly recommend the essays by Andrew Weisman, David Leinweber, and Neil Chriss—neither of them is a prolific writer which makes this book a rare source of insight into their minds). The level of discussion rises above the usual uninformed drivel emanating from organs such as Wall Street J ...more
Harshal
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
As the title would suggests, the book is a sneak peek into the life of 25 Professionals succeeded in the world of Finance who were good at Mathematics and Data analysis and to an extent technology.

The book consists of 25 stories, one devoted to a quant. I found all the stories really informative and inspiring. Although some stories could have been better written. One doesn't need much mathematical background to follow the chapters.

Financial Engineering is now an established career but some of t
Marcus
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a very insightful book for anyone wanting to know about the field of quantitative finance. In reading it, I found that there is a marked distinction between quantitative analysts (quants) who come from physics and mathematics and those who come from the more traditional frields of finance, economics, and business. I find the physicists and mathematicians have far more lucid stories of how they became quants as well as the field itself. Perhaps it's due to the culture within science but t ...more
Damianbusch1 Busch
Aug 21, 2009 is currently reading it
This book is awesome for 1) people who are already quant-types and want an easy read, or 2) high schoolers or college kids who have no idea what they want to do but are good with math and computers. Everyone else will probably not enjoy this. Also, the editor was asleep at the wheel on this one, as there are tons of typos.
Evans
Feb 12, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• Ten Lessons for a Post-Pandemic World
  • Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea
  • A Professor's Guide to Writing Essays: The No-Nonsense Plan for Better Writing
  • The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference