Start by marking “Saving Missy: The most heartwarming debut of 2020” as Want to Read:
Saving Missy: The most heartwarming debut of 2020

Saving Missy: The most heartwarming debut of 2020

For readers of Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine and A Man Called Ove, a life-affirming, deeply moving "coming-of-old" story, a celebration of how ordinary days are made extraordinary through friendship, family, and the power of forgiving yourself--at any age.

Boy meets girl. Girl meets boy. Woman meets dog...

The world has changed around Missy Carmichael. At seventy-nine,
Published February 6th 2020 by HarperCollins

Win a Copy of This Book

The Love Story of Missy Carmichael
    Release date: Apr 07, 2020
    Enter for a chance to win 1 of 50 advanced reader copies of THE LOVE STORY OF MISSY CARMICHAEL by Beth Morrey!

The world has changed around

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 50 copies available, 2043 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 11 - Feb 25, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Saving Missy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saving Missy

Start your review of Saving Missy: The most heartwarming debut of 2020
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Boo hoo, waahhh… Boo hoo, argghhkk! Somebody sledgehammered my heart, broke into tiny particles and buried into ground! I’m in deep pain and whining, crying like a baby! And I’m in the mall now! Everybody’s looking for me. I know you will ask me why the hell I read the final chapters of the book in the public place if it is so devastatingly sad story.

Well, I was waiting my friends to have a lunch break. They occupied in work places so I carried this book not to get bored and do something useful
    Collin
    Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Missy opens her morning paper and immediately flips to the obituaries. David Bowie has died.

“At my age, reading obituaries is a generational hazard, contemporaries dropping off, one by one; each announcement an empty chamber in my own little revolver. For a while I tried to turn a blind eye, as if ignoring death could somehow fob it off. But people kept dying and other people kept writing about it, and some perverse imp obliged me to keep up to date.”

Missy had finally made her mind up to go to
    Phrynne
    Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 5000-2019
    It took me a while to get into this book and I certainly had little sympathy in the beginning for Missy. All that changed however as the book progressed.

The story begins when we first meet Missy. She is 79 years old, her husband is gone, her son and family live in Australia and she has fallen out with her daughter. She is sad and lonely and not really coping. As events take over and her situation changes chapters from the past are introduced and we find out exactly how much she has to deal with.
    Mandy White
    Saving Missy is a book that is going to talked about a lot in 2020. It is a fantastic debut novel and I look forward to seeing what Beth Morrey has for us next. This book was a slow bulrn for me, it took a while for me to become fully invested in the story and characters but once I was there it was hard to put down. It did make a change from the thrillers that I usually read and I really enjoyed it - even if it did make me cry!!

Missy Carmichael is 79, lives in London and is lonely. Her children
    Kylie H
    Having started this book with no expectations I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Millicent "Missy' Carmichael is about to turn 80, and feeling very isolated and depressed. Through a series of events Missy soon discovers that in order to make friends she just needs to be herself and let people in.
    The characters in this book are absolutely delightful. They each bring something to Missy to help her forgive herself and to mend the relationships with her two children that
    Veronica ⭐️
    Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2019, harper
    *https://theburgeoningbookshelf.blogsp...
    Missy Carmichael is an elderly widow feeling the desolate loneliness of a large empty house now that her husband is no longer with her and her two children have moved on with their lives. Son Alistair is living in Australia and keeps in touch via email but Missy is finding it hard to have anything interesting to email about. Whilst her daughter, Melanie, lives closer their relationship is strained after an argument and they very rarely have contact.

There
    Marianne
    Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    “Surveying the boxes, chests and trunks - the leftovers of lost lives: Fa-Fa, Jette, my mother and father, Leo, even Alistair and Mel, since they’d begun new lives elsewhere – I fancied I could hear the echo of them all in their things.”

Saving Missy is the first novel by British author, Bath Morrey. Now that dear her son Alistair and her sweet little grandson Arthur have returned to Australia after their Christmas visit, Missy can admit to herself that she is desperately lonely. Their big house
    Jeanette Lewis
    Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Thank you to Harper Collins Publishers and Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this electronic ARC.

This is a delightful book, the demographics will mostly appeal to older readers, parents who have survived teenagers and young adults holding breath for the moment when they leave home! Ahh! the tranquility.

However, the thought of the empty nest is not a joyous one for the main character, Missy (Millicent) who is similar to those women who have given up all ideas of a career after
    Louise Wilson
    Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Missy Carmichael is 78 and lives alone in the house she used to share with her husband, Leo and their children. Her son, Alistair and her grandson live in Australia. She rarely sees her estranged daughter, Melanie. Missy is depressed and lonely ut she is also a very proud woman. One January morning, Missy collapses in the park. She is cared for by Sylvie. Sylvie invites Missy along with another lady, Angela out for a coffee. But Missy didn't want to go. But then Missy has a chance encounter with ...more
    Susan Johnson
    Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    My new quest is to read more about older people embracing life and this certainly fills the bill. If you don't feel better after reading about this plucky 79 year old woman then you have a heart of stone. Missy Carmichael has made plenty of mistakes in her life but she picks herself up and opens up to the possibility of new life.

She is dealing with the loss of her beloved husband to whose life and career she devoted herself to. Her beloved son and grandson have relocated to Australia and she is
    Jo - •.★Reading Is My Bliss★.•
    Missy is 79 years old and lives alone in the family home she lived in with her husband. He is now gone and so have her adult kids that they raised there. It no longer looks or feels like a home. It is now just a house. She is lonely. She is very alone. She is existing.

‘Such crushing silence. It seemed like my whole life had been a cacophony, a constant buzzing and background chatter, and then Leo went and there was suddenly total and absolute stillness. Stillness, and silence and space. What I’
    Gloria Arthur
    Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    A touching read about a relatively common issue in our society these days, being elderly and lonely. This story gives hope because you can never tell what’s around the corner!

Missy (Millicent) thought she was destined to live a lonely existence for the rest of her twilight years. Her darling husband Leo sadly isn’t with her anymore. Missy lives in their large and mostly empty house including an attic filled with fascinating things of the past and valuable pieces. It’s a home too big and lonely
    Ivana - Diary of Difference
    I have received an ARC copy of Saving Missy by the team at LoveReading UK.
    Publishing date: Spring 2020.
    Amalie_reads
    Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Saving Missy is a delightful, unique and heartbreaking story all in one that took me by surprise. It started a little slow for me but once I got into it I couldn’t put it down.

Missy is in her late 70’s, she lives at home by herself and is living a very lonely life and only leaves the house when absolutely necessary. She has basically given up all hope on life until one day she goes for a walk in the park and meets Sylvie and Angela and from there her life begins to take on new meaning and
    booksofallkinds
    Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    *I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book from the Publisher.

I wasn't prepared for the emotions that this book brought to life in me but I am so glad that I got to experience this special story, and it truly is an experience.

Meet Missy. She is seventy-nine years old and living in the large home which she used to share with her beloved husband, Leo, and her two children who are all grown up and gone now. Missy is used to being alone but it doesn't mean that she enjoys it. When she starts to
    Heidi
    Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    SAVING MISSY is the third book I read this year that features an older heroine (Missy is rapidly approaching 80), and I am so glad to see older people making a come-back in fiction! There is something irresistible about books that reflect back on life’s journey, and knowing that wonderful new things can still happen in the winter of your life.

If I had to sum up this book in just a few words, I would say it is about friendships, and the power of people to save each other. Missy is a woman in her
    Louize
    Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: arc, 2020
    This is going to be a pickle.
    I don't know how to review or rate this one.

*Update: Read the full review on The Page Walker.
    Eloise
    Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Heartbreakingly and heartwarmingly wonderful this is a truly resonant story about love, friendship, memory, sacrifice and the aching sadness of loneliness. I devoured this book, savouring every morsel of the beautiful prose and emotionally resonant story. As the story of Missy Carmichael unfolds, alternating smoothly between past and present, an ever more complex and emotionally nuanced portrait of the titular Missy is revealed. She is a spiky, closed-off heroine, at times, like Eleanor ...more
    Mairead Hearne (swirlandthread.com)
    Meet Missy.
    A bit prickly.
    Very stubborn.
    Terribly lonely
    And it’s all her fault….
    But does Missy deserve a second chance?

Saving Missy is the debut novel from Beth Morrey. It will be published with Harper Collins on February 6th and is described as ‘2020’s most astonishing debut’ After the first few chapters I fell in love with Missy and I know you will too….

Millicent (Missy) Carmichael is seventy-nine years of age. She lives in a big house that she is struggling to maintain. This is her home, the
    Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
    Saving Missy is a poignant and heartwarming debut novel from Beth Morrey about ageing, loss, friendship, and forgiveness.

Seventy-nine year old Millicent ‘Missy’ Carmichael lives in a large, spartan home in central London. Her husband, Leo, is gone, her son, Alistair, his wife and her beloved grandson, Arthur, have emigrated to Australia, and she hasn’t spoken to her daughter, Melanie, in almost a year. Having devoted her life to her family, she now finds herself alone, and lonely, dwelling on
    Alexandra WhimsyPages
    Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: arcs-2020
    Milicent Charmichael is seventy-nine years old. She lives alone in her big house that once was filled with running children and her dear husband Leo. But they are long gone to the life of their own, and Missy is left in the stillness of old walls and creaky floors.

Saving Missy: 2020’s most astonishing debut«Saving Missy» is essentially a character study, a tale of life, love, mistakes, and forgiveness.

I’m so glad that I requested this book on NetGalley and it was approved! Otherwise, I would
    Jennifer (JC-S)
    Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    ‘If you really want something, you hang on.’

Millicent (Missy) Carmichael is nearing 79 years of age, lonely, and alone. Her son Alistair and grandson Arthur have just returned home to Australia, she doesn’t have much contact with her daughter Melanie. Missy had devoted her life to her husband Leo and her children. Now she has time on her hands, and nothing much to do. Alone in her home with memories, Missy decides to venture out to the park. A chance meeting (or two) changes Missy’s life.

Missy
    Lizp
    Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Saving Missy has shades of Joanna Trollope when it comes to describing and understanding relationships. That is high praise indeed. The characters are very well drawn. Missy is the author of her own misfortune; she is her own worst enemy.

Missy, at 79, is lonely, and having lost her husband Leo meets new friends. She has a son and grandson in Australia, whom she communicates with by email. Her daughter has become alienated from her. That’s what happens sometimes when mothers are horrible to
    Kiwiflora
    Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This could easily be seen as a female version of A Man Called Ove - an older woman, living alone, far away from her children/grandchildren, mourning the life she shared with her beloved husband. It has the charm, the quirkiness, the kindness of neighbours and random people in the community that helped Ove rediscover a reason for living.

Millicent Carmichael, Missy, is the central figure in this story. It is just after Christmas, her son and grandson have just left for the long flight back to
    Jen
    Feb 17, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    A touching and heartwarming story of lonely, elderly Missy. Reading how desperate she was for human connection broke me! I loved the supporting characters who saw her loneliness and took her under their wing. The story unfolds with dual timelines and I enjoyed how this was written. Thank you to the publisher for the advance reader in exchange for my honest review.
    Latkins
    Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This is a moving debut novel about the life of Londoner Millicent (aka Missy) Carmichael, who is in her late 70s. Beginning in 2016, it takes us over more than year as Missy navigates her way through loneliness by making new friends and, crucially, acquiring a borrowed dog, Bobby. As she does so, she looks back at her life, from the death of her father during the war, to her time at Newnham College, Cambridge, to her marriage to Leo and her devotion to bringing up her two children, Melanie and ...more
    Katie
    Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Firstly I want to say thank you to Harper Collins for sending me a copy of this book for review. As soon as I found out that it had been compared to Eleanor Oliphant - one of my favourite books ever - I knew that I had to give this a go.

This is a really lovely book full of heartache, sadness but also a lot of happiness. It explores the theme of loneliness in such an effective way which is a relatively common but unspoken issue in society today especially involving elderly people. Saving Missy
    janine
    Dec 28, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    I honestly think after reading the reviews that I'm the only one that just didnt like this book.

The characters are stereotypical and the ending is just horrible.

I'm sorry but just not for me.

Thanks to netgalley and the publishers for the ARC.
    Thelma
    Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I just finished The Love Story of Missy Carmichael, my emotions still are all over the place, I'm having a hard time translating my thought about this book but it was an amazing ride!!

It started as slow burn, with all the details about Missy's life and past, making us believe the story will head in a certain way, but life and circumstances change the course of the story, bringing so many new scenarios and characters that will change everything in a blink of an eye.

The Love Story of Missy
    Bridget
    Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I started Saving Missy with no absolutely no expectations and I am delighted to be able to report that I enjoyed it so much! Millicent (Missy) Carmichael is about to turn eighty, and is feeling very isolated and depressed. She is grieving for her departed husband and misses the various members of her family with whom she has little contact for a myriad of reasons. In this fabulously written début, Missy is about to discover that in order to make friends, she just needs to be herself and allow ...more
    « previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Jane In Love
    • The Girl in the Painting
    • You Don't Know Me
    • The Strangers We Know
    Beth Morrey was inspired to write her debut novel, Saving Missy, while pushing a pram around her local park during maternity leave. Getting to know the community of dog owners, joggers, neighbours and families, she began to sow the seeds of a novel about a woman saved by the people around her, strangers who became friends. Previously Creative Director at RDF Television, Beth now writes full time. ...more