Start by marking “The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp” as Want to Read:
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

(BFI Film Classics)

Winston Churchill hated The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, and tried to have it banned when it was released in 1943. But Martin Scorsese, a champion of directors Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, considers it a masterpiece. It's a film about desires repressed in favour of worthless and unsatisfying ideals. And it's a film about how England dreamt of itself as a ...more
Expected publication: May 28th 2020 by British Film Institute (first published February 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

Start your review of The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
Antonomasia
Amazon reviews say that this - one of a '33 1/3'-like series about films - is too autobiographical. But I like A.L. Kennedy as well as The Life & Death of Colonel Blimp, so that was going to be absolutely fine. (I appear to bother with 'BFI Film Classics' only when I like the author and have seen the film; the only other one I've read was in the late 90s, Camille Paglia's The Birds, whilst I was a big fan of hers.)

Most Powell & Pressburger fans I've met have one of three favourites: A
Kelly
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I am certain that Powell and Pressburger and THE LIFE AND DEATH OF COLONEL BLIMP are firmly a part of the Home I carry with me -- of that need for more and better which I think is part of being alive. Although they can bring me close to despair when I think of all they represent and how much of it is now lost, they also provide encouragement, constructive anger and hope, as good art should."
The Antiquary
Dec 03, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Minimal discussion of the film other than what you see when you watch it. Minimal insight. What you get is a mini autobiography of A.L. Kennedy and what the film made her think about. There are good BFI Film Classics out there, this isn't one of them.
Nat
While this is a nice personal reflection on the film, it doesn't discuss what I find most geopolitically interesting about the movie: it's willingness to take a moderately long view (the length of a human life) of war, which is enough to make even the biggest conflicts (WWI, WWII) look small.
Robert Walrod
Too much AL Kennedy, not enough Col. Blimp.
Mona
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too autobiographical for my liking but the stills from the film were great.
Kevin Duncan
Bijou
Jul 22, 2013
Shane Dougall
Apr 25, 2014
Alison Louise Kennedy is a Scottish writer of novels, short stories and non-fiction. She is known for a characteristically dark tone, a blending of realism and fantasy, and for her serious approach to her work. She occasionally contributes columns and reviews to UK and European newspapers including the fictional diary of her pet parrot named Charlie.

BFI Film Classics (1 - 10 of 180 books)
  • Stagecoach
  • Double Indemnity
  • The Big Heat
  • The Seventh Seal (Det Sjunde Inseglet)
  • Greed