Start by marking “Make Do and Mend a Broken Heart” as Want to Read:
Make Do and Mend a Broken Heart

Make Do and Mend a Broken Heart

When you know how, you can make anything from scratch, including a new life after love...
When Leanne and Richard bought a dilapidated old seaside cottage to renovate together as their forever home, their future was full of hope and promise.

Published January 9th 2020 by Quercus

To ask other readers questions about Make Do and Mend a Broken Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Make Do and Mend a Broken Heart

Start your review of Make Do and Mend a Broken Heart
Andi
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
A heart tugging story.
The characters Leanne and Harry sound lovely. The story was clean so would appeal to everyone.
A very easy book to snuggle down with after reading a few crime thrillers.
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
An absolutely lovely and heartwarming read, I adored the theme of recycling/make do and mend and it’s got a lovely very slow burn romance obviously due to nature of the story, some very emotional parts too (or at least I thought because they brought a tear to my eye) but overall just a lovely and homely read. A perfect break away from real life. It’s a hug in a book.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Fabulous Book Fiend
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh I absolutely loved this book from start to finish. It had heart, it had community, it had all the feels and I just loved spending time with Leanne over the course of this novel.

Leanne is just a great character to travel this book with. She is hurting and she is healing but she is also determined to be an independent woman. I just loved the strength that she had been if she couldn't always see it herself. I also really loved the way she valued her friends old and new and was willing to try
Lainy
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Time taken to read - in and out over 2 days

Pages - 298

Publisher - Quercus

Source - ARC

Blurb from Goodreads

But heartbreak was just around the corner: fast forward a few months and Richard is gone. With his death, Leanne finds herself stony broke, faced with an
Cen-sational Reads
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Make Do & Mend a Broken Heart by Katey Lovell. Published by @quercusbooks
Leanne is a young widow- he husband Richard was unexpectedly killed -Prior to death they had just bought a beautiful property by the coast ‘Sea Glass Cottage’
Leanne leave everything and everyone that she knows in London and heads to Rockgate Bay to try and start a new life . Project ‘Sea Glass Cottage’ is far more daunting than Leanne realises. However the money that she was expecting following Richards death is not
Chantelle Hazelden
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and Quercus Books for an ARC of this novel.

Make Do and Mend a Broken Heart is one of those books that I feel is perfect for the winter season.

It gives you those warm and fuzzy feelings and leaves you with a sense of comfort.

Leanne is moving into her dream home and that unfortunately is where the positivity ends because it turns out that it's not quite the fairytale ending that she was after ...

This is because her then husband recently passed away and now she's left with a
Alison
Leanne and Richard planned to leave London and buy a cottage in Kent, it was rundown and in need of serious repairs but they could afford to buy it outright and restore it themselves. Then Richard died suddenly and Leanne is left with a dilapidated cottage, no DIY skills and very little money.

Drawn into the small world of a seaside village in winter Leanne begins to make new friends and learns new skills, could romance also be on the horizon?

This was a sweet, predictable romance featuring a
Kelly
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is asuperb story that will leave you feeling warm and fuzzy after reading.

A story brimming with love, set locally to me which was an added charm as it made it really easy to visualise the beaches and the weather when walking along the seawall. I loved the mentality of the locals, they were superb characters who formed special bonds with Leanne all in their own way and reminded me of village life when I was younger.

Leanne is a character that displays all of the emotions during this story as
Gem ~ Bee
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely perfect contemporary fiction book that, though features romance, is more about grief, resilience and making a brave, fresh start.
This story encourages an uplifting faith that things are going to be ok even when they look dire.

I loved Leanne, she isn't one for wallowing in self pity or playing the victim, she's determined, feisty and not afraid of hard work, despite losing almost everything her foundation was built upon. She's lucky that the community in Rockgate Bay are both
Sally Tyrer
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a gorgeous uplifting book!
Leanne and her husband have just completed on her dream home in rockgate bay and are looking forward to moving in and doing up the run down sea glass cottage! Fate has other ideas though and after her husband tragically dies Leanne decides to continue their dream and moves herself down to the cottage, grief, hard work, financial problems and setbacks all seem to hinder her progress until the community embrace her as one of their own and provide support, help,
Denise Mcghie
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a nice book it's got the balance of happy and sad just right. Leanne and Richard buy a little run down cottage in a little town beside the sea, their forever home. When Richard dies unexpectedly Leanne moves in alone.

It's a heartwarming story about how Leanne struggles with life on her own and how the close knit community of a little town take her under their wing.

The characters are a varied bunch and all of them work well together. The blossoming romance between Leanne and Harry
Katy Wheatley
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been reading Katey Lovell since her first Meet Cute stories and it is absolutely brilliant to see an author flourishing and her writing going from strength to strength. I loved this book. Leanne is a great central character, sympathetic and well rounded, you will her on in her journey to make Sea Glass cottage her own. The supporting cast of characters are well drawn and interesting in their own right and you get a really warm glow reading the book. It is about love, but it is about so much ...more
Maggie
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a really enjoyable read, it was one of those stories you didn't want to put down. I became very invested in the characters and their lives. It is a well written and sweet romance.

I loved Leanne and I so wanted her to succeed with her new home and new town. The other characters in the book are great and I really liked them. The town she moves to is very kind and supportive, she certainly is lucky to have landed there.

This is a curl up in a cosy chair and get stuck in sort of read. I
N
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a touching, and at times heartbreaking story. I really liked Leanne and the little community she came to call home. She was very resilient and her willingness to take on a daunting project under such difficult circumstances made it very easy to feel for her. The supporting characters of Mary, Harry, Daz, Tracey and Row who helped her on her journey were all lovely. A well written read.
Jesika
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-s
I think I officially want to go on holiday to Rockgate Bay! The community built up over the course of this novel is lovely, and I want to be a part of it!

This book is lovely, and as someone who has just bought a house and made it a home with the same kind of Make Do and Mend/Upcycling/Bargain Hunting attitude, I felt rather akin to Leanne as I read this book whilst avoiding the jobs I have left on my own to do list.

Ultimately, this is not a book that will shock you, and for that I was actually
Elizabeth
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Richard and Leanne have been together for 16 years and married for 7 of them. During the prologue they're viewing a cottage by the sea for a potential purchase, the house needs a lot of work, the previous owners made half an attempt to create an open plan living space resulting in a large hole in a wall and but they both agree that this is the perfect new project and place to start their family.

Cut to chapter one it's three months later and Richard has tragically been killed. Leanne is
Claire Watson
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Make Do and Mend a Broken Heart is the first book I’ve read by Katey Lovell. It follows the story of Leanne. She bought an old seaside cottage with her husband Richard. The plan was to leave London’s rat race and settle by the coast. However following Richard‘S death, she has to move to the house alone. Faced with a ramshackle cottage and dwindling funds, she has to rely on the residents of the oval community for help.

This book is beautifully written, the story flows well and there are come
M D
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, it’s well written and heart warming.

At first I thought it was a little bit cliched, but it surprised me. The outcomes were predictable, but pleasing.

A good romantic story that will tug at your heartstrings and leave you with a smile.
Ellie (bookmadbarlow)
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
At the beginning I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy this book, I had a hefty hangover from the book before and I questioned whether I could do the book justice by reading it now. I am happy to report that I ended up really glad I continued.
I loved Leanne's journey and the sense of community at Rockwell Bay, if I was in her position I would have floundered too, so she felt real to me and not overdone and whiny, which I find annoying in a main character.
The secondary cast of characters were not
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ARC received in exchange for an honest review.

Oh this was lovely. I won’t confirm or deny whether I read the final chapters of this book curled in a ball with tears on my cheeks.

Both this book and my previous read saw women finding themselves and love again after loss. It was a total coincidence but meant I couldn’t help making comparisons. Two very different women and two very different new love circumstances.

My heart absolutely went out to Leanne. I love reading about strong, brave women.
A Book Lover's Emporium Book Blog
I thoroughly enjoyed this story, I really wanted to pick up my kindle as often as possible to keep reading. It is well written and has a really good flow to the storyline. It is a sweet romance that kept my interest throughout.

The characters are well rounded and very likeable. I felt I was getting to know them all along with Leanne as she set up home in this new town. Leanne's struggles and triumphs certainly grabbed at my heart and I wanted to give her a hug. She is so determined and I really
Jenni
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think this has to be my favourite Katey Lovell book yet. It's so warm, the bookish equivalent of a hug. This is a book about grief, about community and about the healing power of making and mending. Definitely recommended.
Amanda
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have read and loved a couple of Katey's previous books but I haven't read them all yet. I read the synopsis for 'Make Do & Mend A Broken Heart' and I just knew that it was going to be another amazing read from Katey. So I grabbed my Kindle, grabbed a box of tissues (I had a sneaky suspicion that it was going to be an emotive read), a cup of tea and a huge bar of chocolate and settled down. I must be psychic, (or psychopathic) because this book really was an amazing and emotive read, which ...more
Agi
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-releases, 2019

Leanne and her husband are about to move in their dream house - but then something really horrible happens and Leanne is suddenly on her own, facing challenges she has no idea she's strong enough to tackle by herself. The house needs a lot of tender loving care, not to mention tons of work and repairs, and the money is short - what is she supposed to do now? Abandon her dream of her having a house? Give up?

It was really a story about renovations and how they work, so if you're planning a house
wearethecuriousbookclub
This heartwarming novel is like a mug of hot Yorkshire tea, with a fancy biscuit. Comforting and sweet! It follows a predictable narrative, that feels uplifting, and will leave you with a smile on your face. I loved Leanne's resourcefulness when faced with financial pressure, and the tips and tricks she used to upcycle her home were brilliant and quite motivational! She is a tough resilient narrator, and it is really easy to root for her! She may have even inspired me to attempt a couple of DIY ...more
L
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
A heartwarming story about community, DIY and lots of food.
I would have loved some flashbacks into Leanne and Richard’s life so he was more of a rounded character and so we could see Leanne as she was with Richard. I felt that I missed out on some of the most important parts of Leanne’s life.
Lots of craft and DIY in this novel which is great if you’re the crafty type. You’ll know your way around a sander and how to bolt a backdoor!
Overall though a great story that will have you reading until the
Becky Kearns
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
My rating is 3.5 but I didn’t quite feel like I could round up to 4. I did enjoy this book and thought the setting was lovely. The story starts off sad and I think the journey Leanne went on was heartwarming. The only reason it’s not a 4 os that I found a few parts unrealistic and although I enjoyed the story and thought it was a very quick and easy read, it hasn’t left a huge impression on me.
3 stars isn’t a negative review for me. I enjoyed the book, it just wasn’t necessarily a favourite :-)
Annarella
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A heartwarming, poignant and well written story that moved me and made me smile.
i loved the style of writing, the fleshed out cast of characters, and the setting.
It's the first book I read by this author and won't surely be the last as I really appreciated this story.
It was an engrossing and entertaining read, highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Katey Lovell
Jan 12, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: written-by-me
Hi, it's Katey here. Thank you so much for showing an interest in Make Do and Mend a Broken Heart. I really loved writing it and hope you'll find it uplifting - books about communities pulling together are my favourites to read which is why they're such a joy to write!

I am so grateful for all your reviews, they really do make a difference to authors. If you are able, please also copy your review onto Amazon to help other readers considering Make Do And Mend A Broken Heart.

• Three Hours