Start by marking “Fury” as Want to Read:
Fury

Fury

3.29  ·  Rating details ·  7,657 Ratings  ·  477 Reviews
A NEW YORK TIMES NOTABLE BOOK

“Salman Rushdie’s great grasp of the human tragicomedy–its dimensions, its absurdities and horrors–has made him one of the most intelligent fiction writers in the English language.”
–Gail Caldwell, The Boston Globe

“Fury is a profoundly, ecstatically affirmative work of fiction. It reaffirms Rushdie’s standing . . . at the very front rank of cont
Published September 5th 2002 by Vintage (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Fury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fury

Kyriakos Sorokkou
Λόγω του ότι έχω αυτό το χούι να αγοράζω βιβλία και ως αντικείμενα, ως συλλέκτης, συνήθως την πατάω και απογοητεύομαι.

Αυτό το βιβλίο το αγόρασα από ένα thrift shop κυρίως λόγω του ότι ήταν υπογεγραμμένο από τον Σαλμάν Ρούσντι τον ίδιο. Δηλαδή αυτό το βιβλίο το άγγιξε ο ίδιος ο Ρούσντι, περιέχει το DNA του.

Χωρίς να ήταν υπογεγραμμένο θα το προσπερνούσα απλά. Αλλά την πάτησα.

Χωρισμένο σε τρία μέρη αυτό το βιβλίο ξεκίνησε όμορφα (και τηλεφωνικό κατάλογο να έπαιρνα μετά απ' εκείνο το ανυπόφορο βιβλί
Steven  Godin
Apr 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
I am a nice guy, and not usually overly critical, but here goes.....this was shit, I never thought much of Rushdie anyway, and now can say with hand on heart I don't like his writing either, gave up.
Ahmed
Mar 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
القراءة لسلمان رشدي تضعك في إشكالية مستمرة منذ القدم , وهي حدود الإبداع و حرية التعبير , هل أخطاء مبدع (أيًا كان حجمها أو زمنها ) تجبرك على مقاطعة هذا المبدع وأعماله , أم أنك لابد أن تنتصر للحرية حتى مع من تختلف معهم !

أنا قرأت (أطفال منتصف الليل) وكانت أفضل عمل قرأته في 2014 على الإطلاق , ولم أتردد في اقتناء أعمال أخرى للكاتب ,لأني أحببت أسلوبه , أما تهمته الكبرى (آيات شيطانية ) فلم يسعفني حظي بعذ في اقتناءها والاطلاع عليها , فهو برئ إلى أن يثبت العكس .

المهم : نحن أمام عمل يناقش الأزمة الإنساني
Fabian
Feb 17, 2012 rated it liked it
My first brush with Salman Rushdie proved to be, frankly, uneventful (perhaps like my experience with Coetzee’s “Disgrace”, sorta). He writes of this “fury, born of long injustice, beside which his own unpredictable temper was a thing of pathetic insignificance, the indulgence, perhaps, of a privileged individual with too much self-interest.” This is what happens when a man accumulates too much wealth having ideas which blow up to become global phenomenons—hopefully not an autobiographical theme ...more
Dustin
Jan 03, 2008 added it
Recommends it for: not even my own worst enemy
Shelves: crappy-books
An irredeemable piece of garbage. Sloppy and uninteresting, filled with trite observations and vapid, transparent characters bumbling around in a lame social satire that amounts to nothing deeper or insightful than whatever you and your friends might say about celebrity culture while watching "Entertainment Tonight". For instance: "Celebrity's are stupid. There are more important things in the world." Hey, you're Salman Rushdie!

Even Rushdie's lauded language can't get him out of the stink-pit h
Luís C.
Solenka is a man ill at ease, bitter, full of anger he masters increasingly difficult. What has he done with his life? What is the secret of his fury?
I think I had too quickly read the synopsis of this book.
Indeed this book annoyed me a lot, I could not read more than 20 pages in a row without sleep ... and I expected a detective book (yes I actually read the synopsis diagonally! ) ...
So in short, I did not like this book, I did not like the writing style, the extension to phrases that a paragra
Esra
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Rushdie wants us to see the "fury" inside the main character Solanka, but what we see is basically, a 55-year-old man abandoning his wife and kid without saying a word because 'he was afraid he would hurt them', moving to NYC, having an affair with a quite young and attractive neighbour, and then dumping her as well for an incredibly beautiful (also young) woman.
Lit Bug
Apr 01, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I’d known before I picked this up that ‘Fury’ was one of his critically most damned works – despite that warning, I gaily went ahead. Because I’m simply in love with the genius of that man. Of the 4 works I’ve read of his, my reactions have ranged from ever-growing adoration (The Moor’s Last Sigh, which I’ve read 9 times in 4 years and will read yet again) to reluctant reading (The Satanic Verses, which has some nuggets of pure brilliance and heady defiance in an otherwise dump of garbage). But ...more
Deea
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
While reading the first chapters of this book, I felt like highlighting every line. The sentences were so nicely constructed and the turn of phrases made each line delightful. I thought the whole book would be like this, but it wasn't.
This is not my first Rushdie and ever since I read "Shalimar the Clown" (my first book by Rushdie) which was amazing, I hoped that I would find at least one of his books as good as this one. So far, I haven't. Not even "Midnight Children" was at the height of my ex
Lynne
Mar 23, 2009 rated it did not like it
If you are a fan of the band Neutral Milk Hotel and/or Rock Plaza Central, you’re familiar with the way some of the songs descend into a glorious cacophonous mess at the end (similar to The Beatles song “A Day in the Life”). What seems to be a chaotic aural blend of instrumentation somehow works; it’s pleasing to the ear. When I started Salman Rushdie’s Fury, I had the same hope for it, that somehow the jumbled chaos of characters, settings, and events would evolve into a story not simply unders ...more
Erik
Apr 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Giving this book three stars is not really fair. It is a very good, but it also could be much better. The problem here is not necessarily what the book does, it conveys itself very well, the problem is that the beginning of the book sets you up for a spectacular and philosophically challenging plot that Rushdie just can't pull off.

Sure the outward storyline flows smoothly and unpredicatably, bouncing the reader through neat unexpected events and witty commentary, but for all its quick cadence an
Hadrian
Aug 05, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: south-asia, fiction, india
Fury? A better title might be Impotence, Poor Decision Making or Whiny Discontent, and the old author has a beautiful women chasing him. Uggggggh. Only a few stylistic twists save this one from one star.
Chaitra
The 3 stars are a very generous assessment of Fury. I was expecting to not like it, as I had read reviews, and Rushdie himself mention it as one of his worst reviewed books. And I didn't. This is continuous word vomit from page 1 to page 272.

There are threads of plot amidst all the verbal diarrhea posing as FURY. But, they don't come together, and to be honest, I have no idea what they needed to be there for. Let's see. The main character is a philosopher called Malik Solanka, who doesn't do we
Nick Black
Jul 06, 2008 marked it as own-might-read  ·  review of another edition
Everything I've heard about this one is terrible. That being said, I got it for $3.95 in first-edition hardback at a Flying J's of all places. I guess those truckers like to get their late Rushdie on while they're gassing up?
Kobita
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You'd want to qoute every single line in this novel.
Nicko D
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Гениална, мащабна, проникновена, невероятна, остроумна, интелигентна, пророческа, брилянта, философска, правдива и истинска!

"Ярост" от Салман Рушди е абсолютен литературен каймак, сред най-хубавите и смислени неща, които съм чел. Не мога да повярвам, че книгата е писана през 2001-а година. Не мога да повярвам, че книгата е писана през 2001-а година. Просто не мога да повярвам! Извадил съм си над 30 отправки, тея дни ще си напиша ревюто.

Абсолютно необясним за мен е ниският рейтинг на книгата тук
Inder
I read this a while back, and I did not love it the way I have loved Rushdie's other work. Perhaps it's brilliant, but I just don't get it.

First, there was the autobiography of a dirty middle-aged man aspect. It turns out much of the book was semi-factual, and Rushdie really did leave his loyal wife who stuck by him through his exile and hiding for a hot young thing (with a scar on her arm - sheesh, we're pushing "semi-autobiographical" here). Well, good for you, but don't act like you're someho
Patrick
Dec 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first Salman Rushdie book and I loved it. He has become one of my favorite authors.

This book is about a cambridge-educated professor who has a messed up childhood and becomes a creator of alternate worlds in his bid to live a better life. His creation becomes wildly popular and lucrative. But in its popularity, he loses control of his creation which combined with his earlier childhood experiences creates a seething fury within him. This latent fury betrays his external successes and echoes t
Vignesh Athreya
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I dont understand why it has garnered so many negative reviews. Once you plow past the initial few pages of languid storytelling and excessive emphasis on unimportant details, its a truly enthralling read. The narrative vacillates from borderline facetious to a melancholic antipode. Its a given that Rushdie novels are not natural page-turners and require patience and coaxing. But it has paid off for me every single time so far. Even the few instances of irrelevant verbosity is alleviated by the ...more
David
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I'd honestly rate different parts of this book differently, if that would make any sense. It takes a while to explain enough to get things going, and wanders off in the weeds toward the end a bit (in my view). There's some good stuff in here, but the book as a whole didn't function as a complete machine for me. There was a lot I liked, but I've liked other things Rushdie has done more.
Mark
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
For me, Rushdie is an author that requires my full attention. His writing is complex but beautiful. This book is no different. I would recommend it to anyone who has not previously read a Rushdie as it introduces you to the author without being as intimidating as one of his other, larger, novels. Definately a good read.
Justin
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kailash
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
The overwhelming feeling after reading this book is of an immense waste - of the reader's time, of the writer's undoubted talent and of the multitude of pages on which its printed, which could have been put to much better use. Right from the start, it seems like a pointless book. This feeling remains & intensifies throughout the book and at the end, is confirmed beyond doubt.

The story is about a man in the grip of fury (the reason for which we aren't given until almost the end, and that reas
Venkat Narayanan
This is quite a book. A book of delusions and allusions. It looses its way and gains it and then looses it again. The prose in the earlier parts is angry and suddenly it mellows and mellows and mellows. The novel is like a blistering innings gone vapid by defense, but its not a complete failure but a failure indeed. The brilliance is there somewhere hiding. Maybe the whole damn book is a prelude of something grand, but the grandiose is just a vacant bubble somewhere floating in the cosmos. In my ...more
Charles Matthews
Dec 18, 2009 rated it it was ok

Salman Rushdie's latest novel is like a mine in which there are a few wonderful gems, but you have to dig through a lot of other stuff to get to them. This is, for example, yet another novel about an alienated middle-aged male intellectual and his sexual obsessions. That's a vein that surely has been played out by now -- wasn't that Philip Roth we met on the way into this mine?

Rushdie's 55-year-old protagonist, Malik Solanka, is summering in a funk in New York City. His wife and 3-year-old son
Robert
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was ok

Even though Rushdie is a great writer, his output is inconsistent. Sometimes I will devour his novels and other times he'll bore me. Unfortunately Fury is not one of his better book.

The novel deals with puppeteer Malik Solanka, a man who has left London to the US due to the problems occurring in this personal life. He then embarks on a series of affairs and attempts to break into Hollywood. All which increase his fury for modern society, until eventually he realises about love and embracing life
Pechi
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Would Rushdie's pyrotechnic prose ever disappoint? The tale was fantastical as ever but it feels as if the scale of events that usually transpire in a Rushdie novel was turned down a bit. Fury being one of my most favorite emotions, it was amazing to listen to Solenca explode in rage for the most part of the book. Rushdie's views on the American culture were gratifying to read as it aligns oh-so-well with my own opinions.
Michael Obiora
Oct 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
Wow. And not in a good way. This is the first work by Salman Rushdie I have read and as I made my way through the book I found myself wondering why Rushdie’s writing has been so highly praised. Then I checked myself and tried to make sure that this wasn’t simply a case of me expecting too much. I don’t think it was. My problem was that it seemed as if some of the stories in the book were half finished. It also seemed as if the writer was trying to be clever. At times I found myself struggling to ...more
Lenore Beadsman64
Dec 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: postmoderni
con le Erinni alle calcagna

Malik Solanka è un cinquantenne in crisi, scappa da Londra fino a New York lasciando indietro una moglie allibita e un figlio che lo aspetta tornare da un momento all'altro, inciampa in Neela Mahendra, una donna passionale che finirà per dare la vita per i suoi ideali, e per lei molla anche l'acerba amante che si era intrufolata in casa sua...finchè le Furie non si coalizzano e irrompono nella sua vita...

scritto immediatamente prima dell'undici settembre questo libro r
Algernon
Feb 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Not his finest. Rushdie's distinctive storytelling voice, which I enjoy so much in novels like SATANIC VERSES and MIDNIGHT'S CHILDREN, is eclipsed by a self-conscious anxiety to prove familiarity with American culture. Malik Solanka's, and probably author Rushdie's, view of New York City is limited to the privileged neighborhood he frequents - and the understanding of American culture feels compressed, a digest of America via CNN and the Entertainment Channel. Intellectually, we are being fed fa ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Fury: kindle, epub, incomplete record ... 8 59 Nov 08, 2012 10:04AM
  • Adjunct: An Undigest
  • The Light of Day
  • The Heart of Redness
  • That They May Face The Rising Sun
  • The Lambs of London
  • Nineteen Seventy Seven (Red Riding, #2)
  • Nowhere Man
Sir Ahmed Salman Rushdie is a novelist and essayist. Much of his early fiction is set at least partly on the Indian subcontinent. His style is often classified as magical realism, while a dominant theme of his work is the story of the many connections, disruptions and migrations between the Eastern and Western world.

His fourth novel, The Satanic Verses, led to protests from Muslims in several coun
More about Salman Rushdie

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • You Can't Keep a Good Woman Down: Stories
  • The Last Storyteller: A Novel Of Ireland
  • The Sleepwalker's Guide to Dancing
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Dog's Purpose (A Dog's Purpose, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Temple of My Familiar (The Color Purple Collection)
  • Vengeance Road
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
“What kind of Christmas present would Jesus ask Santa for?” 79 likes
“A change in direction was required. The story you finished was perhaps never the one you began. Yes! He would take charge of his life anew, binding his breaking selves together. Those changes in himself that he sought, he himself would initiate and make them. No more of this miasmic, absent drift. How had he ever persuaded himself that his money-mad burg would rescue him all by itself, this Gotham in which Jokers and Penguins were running riot with no Batman (or even Robin) to frustrate their schemes, this Metropolis built of Kryptonite in
which no Superman dared set foot, where wealth was mistaken for riches and the joy of possession for happiness, where people lived such polished lives that the great rough truths of raw existence had been rubbed and buffed away, and in which human souls had wandered so separately for so long that they barely remembered how to touch; this city whose fabled electricity powered the electric fences that were being erected between men and men, and men and women, too? Rome did not fall because her armies weakened but because Romans forgot what
being Roman meant. Might this new Rome actually be more provincial than its provinces; might these new Romans have forgotten what and how to value, or had they never known? Were all empires so undeserving, or was this one particularly crass? Was nobody in all this bustling endeavor and material plenitude engaged, any longer, on the deep quarry-work of the mind and heart? O Dream-America, was civilization's
quest to end in obesity and trivia, at Roy Rogers and Planet Hollywood, in USA Today and on E!; or in million-dollar-game-show greed or fly-on-the-wall voyeurism; or in the eternal confessional booth of Ricki and Oprah and Jerry, whose guests murdered each other after the show; or in a spurt of gross-out dumb-and-dumber comedies
designed for young people who sat in darkness howling their ignorance at the silver screen; or even at the unattainable tables of Jean-Georges Vongerichten and Alain Ducasse? What of the search for the hidden keys that unlock the doors of exaltation? Who demolished the City on the Hill and put in its place a row of electric chairs,
those dealers in death's democracy, where everyone, the innocent, the mentally deficient, the guilty, could come to die side by side? Who paved Paradise and put up a parking lot? Who settled for George W. Gush's boredom and Al Bore's gush? Who let Charlton Heston out of his cage and then asked why children were getting shot? What, America, of the Grail? O ye Yankee Galahads, ye Hoosier Lancelots, O Parsifals of the stockyards, what of the Table Round? He felt a flood bursting in him and did not hold back. Yes, it had seduced him, America; yes, its brilliance aroused him, and its vast potency too, and he was compromised by this seduction. What he opposed in it he must also attack in himself. It made him want what it promised and eternally withheld. Everyone was an American now, or at least Americanized: Indians, Uzbeks, Japanese, Lilliputians, all. America was the world's playing field, its rule book, umpire, and ball. Even anti-Americanism was Americanism in disguise, conceding, as it did, that America was the only game in town and the matter of America the only business at hand; and so, like everyone, Malik Solanka now walked its high corridors cap in hand, a supplicant at its feast; but that did not mean he could not look it in the eye. Arthur had fallen, Excalibur was lost and dark Mordred was king. Beside him on the throne of Camelot sat the queen, his sister, the witch Morgan le Fay.”
25 likes