Start by marking “Spellbound (Crossbreed, #8; Mageriverse #22)” as Want to Read:
Spellbound (Crossbreed, #8; Mageriverse #22)

Spellbound

(Crossbreed #8)

Listening Length: 4 hours and 59 minutes

Niko is caught in a powerful spell that was cast from the very book he sought to protect. Trapped between life and death, his chances of returning look grim.

Gem is determined to set things right. Armed only with her innate knowledge of language, she begins her daunting quest to break the diabolical spell… no matter the cost. When an
Audiobook
Published November 5th 2019 by Tantor Audio

To ask other readers questions about Spellbound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spellbound

Start your review of Spellbound (Crossbreed, #8; Mageriverse #22)
☕️Kimberly
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Because of the story ARC, friendships, and relationships it is best to listen to the Crossbreed novels in the order of its release. Of course you can read them, but with Nicole Poole narrating why would you?

In Moonstruck, Gem cast a spell meant to save Nikko, but in doing so left him trapped in his own body. In Spellbound she tirelessly translates ancient texts to find a cure while Victor and the team decide if they need to say goodbye to their old friend.

This was interesting, and the story gave
Mikky (Nocturnal Predators Reviews)
Originally posted at:

I adore this series and its characters but I didn't like that this was a novella-length novel. Personally, I would have preferred one bigger book with no cliffhanger than a full novel ending in a cliffhanger and a novella to tie things off.

I loved the glimpse we got into Gem's head in this story! She's such a fun character in all the other books, so it was great to see her in the spotlight. I'm still holding out hope that the characters in Keystone will eventually pair
Lisa
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have two words

Jaysus wept.

That was bloody awesome
Stephanie Panach
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“We all are both heroes and villains in our own story.”

The last book left us on such a cliffhanger. It was major. And as much as I ADORE Christian and Raven. It was wonderful to read about Gem and Niko - and even get some quality time in with Claude in this story. Dannika Dark is so incredibly talented about writing the voices of her characters. When you read Gem - you aren't reading a generic individual, you are reading Gem and her thoughts are all incredibly, authentically Gem. At one point
Trisha
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is a short story OR a Novella at best and should have been #7.5.

Nikko is one of my favorite characters in this series so this was disappointing. The story line with the other characters felt like filler so it didn't work. The story with one baddie being able to hold off and foil 6 of Keystones best didn't make sense.
Krystal Hudson
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cant wait to see how Gem and Niko will bring Cryus down! And also how switch and Christian are gonna be!
Viviana Izzo
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-audiobooks
Dannika does it again! She brings the readers along the journey of the characters and leaves them wanting more!

SPELLBOUND begins where we left off in the previous book MOONSTRUCK. Nikko is a sort of sleep like state and Gem continues to search for a way to awaken him.

As we’ve come to expect from Dannika’s books, the banter between characters is fantastic and the moments of humor that is weaved throughout the story not only makes the reader smile but makes you fall in love even more with the
Katherine Wybranska
Love, love, love Gem and Niko!

So beautiful the two of them..I was in tears at the end..I'm really hoping we get more standalone novels about these two beautiful souls.
Debbie Turk
Recommends it for: Anyone
A Beautiful & Completely Different But Gripping Read!!
Spellbound (Crossbreed Series Book #8: Mageriverse Book #22)

This is, overall, a beautiful & emotive read from, mostly, Gem's POV! It restarts from just after the end of 'Moonstruck'. Nico is asleep/in a coma still & she's awaiting Vicktor's return, along with the rest of the team. Her guilt at his condition is bone deep & we feel it all with her. She is determined to try every avenue available to her to save him, but will she
Lorna
Everything I want in a book by Dannika Dark. She never fails to make me love her work all over again with each book. This is a must read for anybody reading this series. So many answers and back stories we have been waiting for are here. It's always fun to have a story from another character separate from the main characters. In this case, we get two, a story and back story about two beloved characters from this series, Gema and Niko. Both are immortal and Mages, although Gema is young for a ...more
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Source: Publisher

Spellboundis a novella in the Crossbreed series and it takes place after the evens in Moonstruck. Gem tries to find a cure for the spell cast on Niko.

The plot focuses mostly on Gem and Niko. Her saving him and them getting closer by telling her backstories to each other. I always thought there would be a romance between these two characters but after learning their stories I think they are destined to be something greater.

There is a huge age difference between Gem, she's 50
Marisa Brown
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I Loved It

I loved getting to know Gem and Niko better. Their characters have such depth. I can not wait to see what lies in store for Keystone next!
Suzanne
My favorite

Tgis on is so far my new favorite! Love love love evwry word. Do your self a favor and read this book !
LexiLikesLiterature
By Dannika Dark
Narrator Nicole Poole

Spellbound picks up the next day after the events of book 8. This one focuses on Gem and the aftermath of her acts in previous books.

Eventually you get some scenes with the whole crew. So if you were missing the Irish Vampire, then dont worry.

I didn't find Gem as appealing as I thought I would. She definitely isnt as entertaining as Raven. Though I guess it's a good idea to slow the pace every few books so things can level out.

To me Gem came across as
Rambling Rose
Keystone goodness on a smaller scale

In all honesty I didn’t love the idea about stepping away from Raven and Christian on this book, but I was very pleasantly surprised!

The Keystone story arc progresses in this book by bringing us deeper into the lives of Niko and Gem while giving us a peek into the team dynamics from Gem’s perspective. We have been gradually introduced to Niko’s past in previous books and he has remained one of my favorite characters so I was anxious to see what happened to
Shandie Bell
I love this series

Just when you think this series can't get any better a new book comes . I love these characters and I loved it in this book you get a better in-depth look and a couple more of them.
Bec
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love love love Gem & Niko’s story.
This author is amazing. Puts you right into the characters lives with little effort.
Recommend to all.
Maggie Cullen
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!! Didn’t put it down just read the whole thing!! I wish there was more to ready! Love all Dannika’s work she is truly gifted!!!
Ashley Graybeal
I just finished listening to my audible edition of this. BY THE WAY- if you haven’t listened to one of Dannika Dark’s books yet.... DO IT. The narrator she uses is absolutely amazing.

Dannika didn’t fail to deliver her usual doses of quick wit, humor, and action. I found myself cheering for keystone as they try to help save one of their own from a curse. I’m hoping there is more to come between two of my favorite mages in the Mageriverse. Totally worth the read, as is every Dannika Dark tale.
Ez
Spellbound is mostly told from Gem's point of view so there's a slightly different feel to it compared to the previous seven books in the Crossbreed series. I wasn't sure how I was going find it because even though I'm a massive fan of this author and the Crossbreed novels are one of my all-time favourite urban fantasies, to me the series is Raven with a nice helping of Christian on the side. While we only get to see most of the team from the sidelines, it still packed a nice punch and gave a ...more
kc (4saintjude)
Nov 22, 2019 rated it liked it
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from Publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

3.5 hearts

By accident I discovered the Crossbreed series by Dannika Dark. I can only consider it a happy accident and have no qualms about recommending it to anyone looking for a well-designed urban fantasy world with compelling characters and interesting story arcs. Spellbound is the eighth installment, and picks up right at
Anniken Haga
So I started listening to this series a while ago, but after book 4 I gave up. I had trouble with the MC, the writing style, and the general story. It felt really repetative. But with all these problems, I was still interested when I saw that there would be a book with Gem as the MC. She was one of the main reasons I continued reading the series, to be honest.

So, as soon as this book was out, I started listening.
It was... I'm not really sure. It was good until the book-event, after that it
TJ
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually enjoyed this installment. It is NOTHING at all like the rest of the books in this series, though. It is much more reflective and quiet. Most of the storyline involves Gem and Nico opening up and allowing the other (as well as the reader) to learn about their history, their lives and what makes them tick.

In fact there is only one very small action scene in the entire book and even then the majority of it was just talked about after the fact. Although I wouldn’t enjoy this type of
Rebecca Goss
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The world building in this series is well done. The character of Gem has seemed light, cheerful and sprite like. Niko has always seemed insightful and we knew his past was filled with angst. Readers will learn that there is much more to both. Watching their friendship grow was beautiful and left me sighing. With each book, we have found more of the pasts of these characters that has led to their present. It was joyful to listen to the banter with Raven and Christian and know the love behind it. ...more
Angel
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved getting this story through Gem's perspective. It was such a change of pace from the other books in the series, but in a great way. We are still given glimpses of what the rest of Keystone is doing, but this is definitely Gem and Niko's story! There was less of the action we've become used to with Keystone missions, but this story still felt crucially important. I really just loved the almost gentleness a lot of this book had... and the butterflies!
Janine
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was different than the other books in the series and I loved it. Relationships arent always about the physical and this relationship between Nico and Gem is just great. Im excited to read how their bond strengthens. I was kind of bummed with how short it is though. I would have liked to see their relationship stretch out a bit farther. Perhaps him helping her with her fear of swimming and her showing him more things. Im excited to see where this goes.
Jennifer Burton
Life and lessons

I wasn't sure about this one when I first started. I think Danika has a unique ability to create characters that come to life. Which for me always makes the story more enjoyable. So while I felt like this one didn't really progress the storyline, I absolutely loved getting deeper into Gem and Niko's life. Sprinkled with some heartfelt lessons and this one was a winner for me!
Lonely girl Is Lonely again
Joliene
Eternal Friends

Such a satisfying conclusion to Niko and Gem's harrowing experience. Love that Gem came out of her shell with Niko. Maybe Gem will revisit the relic to learn to control her mage power. She has so much more to offer Keystone and now that she has a true friend, maybe she will have confidence in herself. Wish we would have gotten a little more story with the gang and Kallisto, but as long as they got their man, all is good. Another great read by Dannika Dark.
Sarah Flannery
Another 5* Read

Wow! I have a newfound appreciation for Gem & Niko now that I know more of their backstory. Dannika Dark brings these characters to life with the best personalities and conversations. I can't say enough how much I love her writing and the world she has built with these amazing relatable characters. Dannika Dark will forever be one of my favorite authors and an automatic one-click.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Emperor's Throne (Desert Cursed #6)
  • Warrior Fae Princess (Warrior Fae, #2)
  • How to Kiss an Undead Bride: The Epilogues (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #7)
  • Shattered Bonds (Jane Yellowrock, #13)
  • Fireborne (Raven Cursed # 1)
  • Warrior Fae Trapped (Warrior Fae, #1)
  • Night's Reckoning (Elemental Legacy, #3)
  • Rise of the Fae (Dragon's Gift: The Dark Fae Book 5)
  • Releasing The Gods (The Titan's Saga #1)
  • Spirit of the Fae (Dragon's Gift: The Dark Fae #4)
  • Wicked Wings (Lizzie Grace, #5)
  • Sharpest Sting (Elemental Assassin, #18)
  • Gut Deep (Torn Worlds Book 1)
  • Sea Breeze (The Phantom Queen Diaries, #8)
  • Supernatural Academy: Year Two (Supernatural Academy, #2)
  • Tessa (The Mate #2)
  • Dark Queen’s Army (The Children Of The Gods Paranormal Romance Series Book 34)
  • Hunter (Immortals of New Orleans #10)
Dannika Dark is a USA TODAY Bestselling author and Audie Awards Finalist of urban fantasy and paranormal romance novels.

THE MAGERI SERIES is an exciting urban fantasy romance about a young woman's claim to immortality. Passionate, humorous, dark, and full of unpredictable twists, the Mageri series will take you on an unforgettable journey of love, friendship, and the hidden power within us all.

Crossbreed (8 books)
  • Keystone (Crossbreed #1; Mageriverse #15)
  • Ravenheart (Crossbreed #2; Mageriverse #16)
  • Deathtrap (Crossbreed #3; Mageriverse #17)
  • Gaslight (Crossbreed, #4; Mageriverse #18)
  • Blackout (Crossbreed, #5; Mageriverse #19)
  • Nevermore (Crossbreed, #6; Mageriverse #20)
  • Moonstruck (Crossbreed, #7; Mageriverse #21)