Start by marking “Past Aghast (Jack Bass Black Cloud Chronicles Book 2)” as Want to Read:
Past Aghast (Jack Bass Black Cloud Chronicles Book 2)

Past Aghast

(Jack Bass Black Cloud Chronicles #2)

Is He The Killer They Say He Is?
Even Jack isn’t certain.
Jack is left emotionally traumatized from his deployment in Iraq with severe PTSD and the Army forces him to retire. Jack’s PTSD flashbacks sometimes leave him unaware of his actions while under the influence of his unwelcome mental demon.

>>>Retirement isn’t Always What You Plan
A
Published (first published September 11th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Past Aghast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Past Aghast

Start your review of Past Aghast (Jack Bass Black Cloud Chronicles Book 2)
Arianne The Bookworm on the Loose
This is perhaps one of the best medical thriller I have ever read. The author clearly has profound medical background as he coherently described the unexpected, the successful and the tragic events that take place in a hospital. The last medically inclined novel that I have read really impressed me, and it was more than a year ago when I last read it. I thought Past Aghast might pale in comparison. But I was so wrong! I have never read a book that had me groping for my blanket while reading at t ...more
Dini
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mind blowing!

I got this book as a free copy and the cover was not so eye catching hence I was not expecting much from this story. But, now I deeply regret for having any doubt on this story, for it turned out to be one of the best crime fiction I ever read!

However, the prologue again was not that provocative to me. It appeared just normal and a common war mishap. Soon after I was in the midway of the first chapter, my eyes were kind of glued to the book. Though it’s quite
Cindy
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Physician-U.S. veteran is "hero." Interesting but some gore which puts damper on enjoyment. TTS-enabled eBook.
Tony Parsons
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
3/4/1991, Western Iraq Desert. Major Ahmad (Iraq, Western Brigade of Republican Guard Fighters) ordered his combatants to fire.
Lieutenant Colonel Jack Bass (US Army Medical Corps Dr., MD, x 2) was paying his last respects to Major Lori Darden (US Army Medical Corps Dr., MD, x 2).

7/11/1992, Southern Medical Center (SMC) Trauma Center. Sarah (lab tech), observed Debra (lab tech colleague) lying on the floor.
Sarah was jammed with a syringe in to her jugular vein full of who knows what also.
Tere Fredericks
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly An Original

I HATE this book already. As I wrote in my review for book 1, I actually read about half of book 4 before going back to the beginning. So I knew what was going to happen. But in the first paragraphs of this book? This is awful.

Actually, I really don't hate this book. Despite all the times I was holding my breath - the sign of an excellent thriller - I truly loved the book.

Full of intrigue, full of new relationships with a new hospital staff, good, great,
Diane Bailey
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Page Turner

As a retired nurse who also served in the military I particularly enjoy medical thrillers. The horrors and brutality encountered in both military and trauma settings tax the medical staff as well as the patients. This was accurately portrayed in addition to the at times ludicrous political responses.
Diane E
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thrilling story about greed

After disastrous events in Iraq, Jack Bass has taken the role of anesthesiology chief at a major university medical center . It's not surprising that PTSD is a part of his life . However , some folks try to take advantage of that supposedly confidential information .
Nancy Silk
Sep 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"Ohhh!"

I thought this might be an interesting story of Jack Bass, MD, who is traumatized from his deployment in Iraq. I fell asleep while listening to this story on my Kindle. I was about 33 percent into the book and woke from a dream of blood and guts being torn from bodies. I decided this book was not for me and quit reading. I can still see the scenes....
Mary L Leehy
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book

I thoroughly enjoyed the book, great story with likable characters. However, the book needs some serious proofreading. Lots of typos, extra words or missing words made it distracting.
Margaret Ward
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants the excitement of cloak and dagger situations. I enjoyed it very much. I have read lots of books but this one keeps you on your toes till the very end.
Stephanie
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing Series

I really like this series. I’m hooked and I can’t stop reading it. Definitely highly recommended. Intense series for sure.
Cheryl Walton
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jack Bass is a retired colonel and MD and trouble follows him everywhere! The man has nine lives-and he is quickly using them up. It’s a great thriller that was hard to put down.
Pat Christie
Ebook

He’s a dr that was in Iraq and has PTSD. He gets into a situation where he has to fight for his life again.
Matthew
Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

After surviving 20 years with the United States Army medical Corps, patching up every kind of battlefield injury imaginable. Colonel Jack Bass returns from his final tour of duty in Iraq with an honorable discharge for military pension and a classified military record. Col. Bass has survived some of the most horrific battlefield conditions. A soldier is ever likely to encounter Iraqi insurgents overran his forward operations surgical base killing all of the patients in the operating room and hol
Cathy Ryan
Author: Edwin Dasso MD
Published: November 2012 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
Category: Crime/Thriller

Pubshelf Publishing provided me with a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

The main protagonist, Dr Jack Bass, has PTSD after a horrendous tour of duty in Iraq. Believing he has secured a much less demanding job as the new Chairman of Anaesthesia at Southern Medical Center, he is inadvertently drawn into a series of gr
J
Aug 26, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I selected this book for its rhyming title.

But I couldn't get past the opening incident. It's rare for me to post a review if I've only partially read a book, but I feel justified here because I have a strong opinion from my short encounter.

Really, a guy smart enough to make it to medical school decides that, after he's survived a massacre in the hospital blood lab by hiding, the wise thing to do is to remove evidence from the crime scene, not talk to the authorities, and
Charles Ray
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After an emotionally wrenching experience in Iraq, army doctor Jack Bass is retired from the military, and takes a job as head of the department of anesthesiology of a southern university hospital. When two clinical specialists are brutally murdered, the chief of university police focuses on him as the main suspect. At the same time, a medical student who witnessed the murders is also targeted.
Past Aghast by Edwin Dasso is a gut-churning medical thriller that explores the effect of PTSD wh
Geena Green
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Past Aghast” authored by Ed Dasso, is a novel that presents the virtues of bravery, love and loyalty; it also presents these vices: avarice, deception, evil and tragedy. The novel is full of action from beginning to end. It is a medical novel that is a thriller as much as it is full of suspense.

In “Past Aghast”, Dr Jack Bass is the leading character; he is a war veteran who saw action in Iraq. That tour of duty resulted in him suffering from acute post traumatic stress disorder (PTS
Aleah
Oct 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit disappointing, to tell the truth

I was looking forward to read this because I'm a huge fan of medical thrillers, like the Rizzoli and Isles novels by Tess Gerritsen. Unfortunately, this book didn't fully meet my expectations; the characters seemed unbelievable and the pace was really slow.

However, the book is good enough for its ebook price ($0.99). If you can make yourself believe the characters, ignore the author's style of unnecessarily italicizing words and sente
Kevin
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't familiar with the author but took a lark on it on a coworker's recommendation. I wasn't blown away by it as I think it started to drag a bit towards the end, but the first three quarters was really exceptional and fast paced. That said though, I did find it an entertaining read from an unknown (to me author). I'm more familiar with TV blendings of the medical and the whodunit worlds, but this book has an exceptional mix which should appeal to fans of either core genre.

The at
Sneha
Oct 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Average!

Though Past Aghast belongs to the “mystery thriller” genre, it fails to hold full attention till the very end. I thought it dragged on for a little longer than was necessary.

Nevertheless, it cannot be completely shrugged off as a boring or “run of the mill” novel. The research behind this book is quite creditable; the author has been able to describe many incidents that seem true to life and factually accurate. The narrative is slow and sprinkled with too many clichés, but t
Mario
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: must-reads
Past Aghast is a deeply engaging novel exploring the Effects of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder with almost real-life details of the medical field. It is really intriguing novel where readers explore the life of a Jack Bass and the struggles that he faced during the war in Iraq. It is gruesomely detailed, well written and captivating, especially due to the fact that the vulnerabilities of the characters were portrayed to the reader, thereby, allowing the reader to sympathize with them. Very well ...more
Valerie De armas
Dr. Jack Bass, a war veteran who suffers from PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) comes under suspicion when murders start occurring at the hospital where he works. The characters feel real in this gritty medical suspense thriller where only some of the characters are what they appear to be. You will find a few clichés here and there in the book, but you will also find a very good story with twists and turns that will keep you reading well into the night. A well researched thriller that entert ...more
Debolina Choudhury
An engrossing medical thriller

A beautifully written medical thriller. I am a lover of these sorts of thrillers . The price of the kindle book is too good to be true. As I am a book lover, this book was a gift to me from my friend and I am grateful that he chose this book. I would recommend people to read this engrossing thriller at least once in their life.
Frank Clearfield
A page turner that sets war experiences on trial. Author is knowledgeable about the world of medicine and understands the world of war as well. An edge of the seater that I couldn't put down.
Naqahdahnellie
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. It's a super fun, medical murder mystery that keeps you guessing. The characters are lovable, and you can't wait to see what is going to happen to them next.
Leo Cameron
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the cover art - very different. The content didn't disappoint either. Good high action medical suspense/thriller.
Melissa Stone
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Past Aghast… what a book! Very enthralling. Could read this book over and over again. It is a must have and I will buy this for my friends. side note: I bought this book on my kindle.
Darlene Leonard
Aug 27, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Review

What a crock of horse manure. One star is generous. Its for the guts to put it it in print. My suggestion would be to stick with the doctoring.
Nastasia Nesbeth
I think this book highlights what the real medical world would look like. Great story line, with amazing characters. I have no complaint about this book. It's a great read.

• Slip Out the Back Jack (Jack Ryder #2)
  • The House that Jack Built (Jack Ryder #3)
  • Ten Little Girls (Rebekka Franck, #9)
  • Little Voices
  • Atlanta Deathwatch (Hardman Book 1)
  • The Case of Dr Dude (Michaela McPherson Mysteries, #1)
  • The Alexandra Destephano Series: Medical Thriller Novels: Boxed Set: Books 1 - 5
  • Cold Pursuit (Cold Justice, #2)
  • The Porter Series: Books 1-3
  • Death Report (The Sergeant Braun Series, #1)
  • The Saint Of Baghdad (CJ Brink #1)
  • Backwater Bay (Kurt Hunter Mysteries, #1)
  • Hook, Line and Stinker (Lily Thistle #1)
  • Wrath (Lieutenant Harrington #1)
  • Hit the Road Jack (Jack Ryder #1)
  • Payback
  • Five Knives
  • The Girls Across The Bay (Knox and Sheppard, #1)

Jack Bass Black Cloud Chronicles (7 books)
  • In the Line of Ire (Jack Bass Black Cloud Chronicles #1)
  • Death Management (Jack Bass Black Cloud Chronicles #3)
  • Don't Worry, You'll be Safe (Jack Bass Black Cloud Chronicles #4)
  • Do I Know You? (Jack Bass Black Cloud Chronicles #5)
  • Empty Promises (Jack Bass Black Cloud Chronicles #6)
  • Death Hub (Jack Bass Black Cloud Chronicles #7)