Start by marking “Awakening” as Want to Read:
Awakening

Awakening

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  4,625 Ratings  ·  489 Reviews
An idyllic village is thrown into Âturmoil in the startling, heart-racing new thriller from the author of Sacrifice.

How did it all begin? I suppose it would be the day I rescued a new-born baby from a poisonous snake, heard the news of my mother’s death and encountered my first ghost . . .

Veterinary surgeon Clara Benning is young and intelligent, but practically a reclu
Published September 14th 2009 by Bantam Press (first published February 21st 2007)

Chelsea Humphrey
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first standalone novel by Sharon Bolton and also my PIFM READ for our group "A Good Thriller" for the month of January.

I'm finding this one difficult to review. On one hand, it wasn't as quick moving as her Lacey Flint series (as you can tell by the fact it took me 10 days to finish it); on the other, the story was intriguing and compelling enough to have me keep pushing forward due to the encouragement of friends who have read this before me. It definitely picked up in the second ha
Gary
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another excellent novel by SJ Bolton. Some other reviews of this book find this novel a little slow paced but I really enjoyed it. I do enjoy fast paced novels but when a book is written so well I am also happy to take my time and enjoy it with no longing for it to finish.

In this novel a vet named Clara Benning who was disfigured as a child and has become a bit of a reclusive due to her disfigurement. The small town where she lives starts experiencing strange happenings with snakes invading the
Mary
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
Dear Reader,

I'll be the first to admit that no,I didn't do my homework on this one! If I had known beforehand that snakes played a huge part in this story,(yes,you read that correctly!), then I'm not sure I'd have read it.

'Why did I buy it?',I hear you ask! Simply because it was written by the wordsmith that is SJ Bolton!

Do I regret my impulsive purchase? Not in the least,as believe if or not I found this story very interesting and deeply compelling.

Clara Benning,a wildlife vet,lives in a sma
Lisa
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
A very enjoyable murder mystery - 4.5 stars.

Clara is a wildlife vet who has hidden herself away in a rural village in England and avoids people as much as possible. This is because she is scarred on one side of her face and is sick of people staring, judging and being horrible to her.

Strange things start happening in her village and people are dying which forces Clara to confront her fears and her foes.

This book is not without it flaws (a bit rambling in places and somewhat far-fetched) but I re
Hannah
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anna
Rating: 4.5 stars

As my brother said when he was little: me no ikey nakes. They give me major heebie jeebies. They make me shudder. I can't even look at them on TV, and only a madman would even suggest I go into a reptile house.

So knowing this book has snakes as a main character, whatever made me read it? The answer is simple: SJ Bolton. I’ve read two of her tension-filled books this year (Sacrifice and Blood Harvest) and she’s become one of my fave authors. Snakes or not, I wasn’t going to miss
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Another great book by S.J. Bolton, this one is really a 3.5 star rating for me but I don't have that option and it's closer to a 4 star than a 3 star book. As always I can connect well with the characters in the book, especially Clara who is central to the book. I find that it's easy to read her books and the pace of the book cracks along. The research done into snakes for this book is impressive and I am now fairly well versed in many things snake related, I might even be able to know what type ...more
Janebbooks
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In a way, S. J. Bolton's second published novel AWAKENING is a coming-of-age story. The protag and narrator of the tale is a reclusive wildlife veterinarian, Clara Benning, unmarried daughter of an archdeacon. She practices in a remote British village and prefers her mute swans and baby owl chicks to people. But several invasions of snakes into the village and the death of three old people, once parishioners of a church burned to the ground fifty years prior, change her life.

Additionally, the no
Shaun
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Solid 4...maybe even a 4.5.

Sharon Bolton is a very talented writer who can pen a tale of mystery and suspense with the best of them. Not only are her prose a pleasure to read, but her characters are generally interesting and multidimensional. This particular story line is well-developed and believable. In this tale of snakes (both reptile and human), her attention to detail is quite impressive. She obviously spent a lot of time researching snakes, and it paid off.

This was a little slow at first,
Lee
Oct 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the second of this author’s books I’ve read and her writing has made me a fan. I found her first book Sacrifice equally compelling and readable.

This well paced thriller, set in small English village introduces us to a young, reclusive, veterinary surgeon who has been deeply scarred by an event from her childhood. A number of strange occurrences involving snakes draw Clara into investigating the mysteries with interesting results.

I was impressed with the amount of interesting facts about
Josie
Apr 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sean Peters
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Hi,

After reading four SJ Bolton books in a row, although this is the most successful of her books, I found it the weakest.

You expect the standard to be high, and this was only her second book, Sacrifice meaning her first.

But I think she had got stronger with her last three books.

I found this one a little heavier and slower, and a little over the top.

But it did still build to a fast paced last few chapters.

Now reading Sacrifice.

Her new novel is also just out.

regards

Sean
Hans
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The personal struggle of Clara is very recognizable. Clara is doing great solving this "snaky" mystery.
ashley c
Dec 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Bolton writes in this novel a gothic-esque story about a protagonist, a reptile expert whose face was scarred since birth, getting involved in investigating snakes killing people in her small village.

(It's midnight, I'm tired, and I'm going to be very short and hopefully succinct in my review.)

I've grew a bit out of gothic horror and I'm not a fan of stories centered around religious nutcases, dank, dark cellars, and brothers with mental impairments used as killing tools, so by what should have
Siobhan
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m a massive Sharon Bolton fan and for the longest of times I’ve been missing this book from my collection. Having now picked it up, I can say that all her books are truly brilliant. If you have never picked up a Sharon Bolton book I highly recommend doing so: they really are great. Whilst Awakening may not be my favourite of her books, it is another gripping tale.

A tale which is no good for those individuals who have a fear of snakes, may I quickly point out.

Awakening starts off slower than ot
Eve
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a disturbing story involving dangerous and poisonous snakes but soon its clear that there's more at stake... Quite original storyline, just as having the heroine who's scarred and reclusive.
Kathy
Snakes alive! I couldn't resist that opening, as snakes abound in this thrilling tale of Bolton's. There is so much beyond the great mystery to absorb in this novel. I learned much about snakes, other wildlife, and the extreme Pentecostal church branches. I was especially taken with the character development of Clara, her metamorphic transformation. A defining quality of Bolton's writing is the strong female lead, something that she does exceedingly well. Now that I've read all three of S.J. Bol ...more
Ashley
Snakes, strong sense of place, and American Pentecostal faith: this is a creepy, clever, and chilling book. I found myself loving Clara and her vulnerability mixed with profound competence and strength. It's a great read and one that fans of suspense will adore. If you're afraid of snakes, this is either a great or a terrible book for you!
Heidi

4.5

No wonder The Times dubbed S.J. Bolton the “high priestess of rural gothic crime” after this novel was published – “Awakening” is an atmospheric, eerie, original and well-plotted mystery which kept me enthralled until the very last page. What better way to start the new year with such an excellent read!

Clara Benning, a young veterinarian disfigured in a horrific childhood accident, is living as a virtual recluse in a small village in Dorset, preferring the company of animals to that of her
İlkim
Bu yorumu Kitap Esintisi sayfasında bulabilirsiniz.

Uzun zamandır çevrilmesini beklediğim bir yazardı S.J. Bolton. Eğer önceki kitabı Kurban'ı okuduysanız bu hevesimin nedenini anlayacaksınız. İlk kitabını bitirdiğimde polisiye yazarlarıma yeni birini ekledim diyerek kitabı bırakmıştım, çünkü şu "kalemi kuvvetli" diyebileceğimiz tabir bu yazar için bir hayli geçerli.

Bu kitabında da hayal kırıklığına uğramadım. Kitap yılanlarla geçiyor, kitaptaki karakterler ve yılanlarla ilişkileri kitabın temas
Sercan Vatansever
Öncelikle bir kaç cümleyle konuya değineyim;

Küçük bir kasabada yaşayan Clara Benning, son derece içine kapanık, yüzünde ciddi sorunları olan işkolik bir veteriner. Sıradan bir gününde komşusu, Clara'dan bebeğinin yatağında bulunan yılan için yardım istiyor. Clara bu durumu garipsese de, pek önemsemiyor. Akşamın geç saatlerinde başka bir komşusunun evini basan zehirsiz yılanların arasında, dünyanın en zehirli yılanlarından biri olan taipan yılanını bulunca, bir şeyler döndüğünü anlıyor. Bundan
Jon
Nov 25, 2009 rated it liked it
A very exciting page-turner with some well-handled side-lights and carefully researched lore, primarily about snakes, but also about snake-handling Protestant sects. The protagonist is Clara Benning, a young, country veterinarian in the southwest of England, who (we gradually learn) has spent her life avoiding humans because of her terribly disfigured face. We only gradually learn about the cause and extent of her scarring, and the author paces the revelations very artfully. Clara unwillingly be ...more
Brenda
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading Bolton's Flint series, it is hard not to compare this earlier work. While it was well written and I enjoyed it, the suspense didn't really kick in until more than half way into the book. I think the beginning groundwork might have been a bit too long.
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As I very much dislike snakes this probably wasn't the best book to read but it made the story even more scary. Kept thinking I knew who the bad guy was but kept getting it wrong. Good story though hope I don't get nightmares about snakes lol.
Niki
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sharon Bolton has become my favorite author. Her books are perfectly attuned to my writing palette - clear, concise, and a little quirky. I consume her books like candy - without any of the post-candy-binge guilt.

Clara is a deeply flawed protagonist, a little reminiscent of Lacey Flint, though maybe not so unreliable a narrator. She has a nasty scar along one side of her face and a crippling insecurity to go with it. Clara works as a wildlife vet, and when snakes start appearing in odd places (
Liz
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m a big fan of Sharon Bolton’s mysteries and I love the way she writes her female leads. The Lacey Flint series was my intro to Bolton but I’m finding I really enjoy her stand-alones as well.

This is one of her earlier books (maybe her her 2nd?) and I had the Twist figured out earlier than usual, but it is still a super tense and CREEPY ride. This book is a definite page-turner; I was roped into the story almost immediately and found it hard to put down. Warning: if you have a fear of snakes t
Jenn
Sue
Sep 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mystery readers, British mystery readers
This is my second of Bolton's books and now I have to find her first.

The setting is a small English village and the current problem is an apparent influx of snakes, both harmless and not. The protagonist is a local vet with personal issues that affect much of the story. The plot is complex, interesting, with well drawn characters and wonderfully atmospheric. I don't want to give away plot lines, but there are deaths, murder, old and new mysteries, and more snakes.

Highly recommended.
W.H. Brown
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yet another great thriller from Sharon Bolton: layered, detailed and chilling with another damaged but sympathetic protagonist that you can root for.

Sharon Bolton does these dense, twisting, dark thrillers as good as anyone else on the planet right now and just when you think you've got the plot figured out, she adds another twist and all you can do is close the covers and sit back in admiration of her multitudinous skills as a storyteller. I loved it.
Serena.. Sery-ously?
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Ho conosciuto Sharon Bolton cinque anni fa perché la copertina del libro, "Sacrificio", era fighissima; mi sono innamorata del libro e per lungo tempo ho provato un po' di nostalgia all'idea che questo fosse stato un one-shot dell'autrice e invece no: qui da noi i (pochi) libri tradotti sono passati in sordina per far posto agli autoruncoli da due soldi "un sacco fyghi" di oggi -_-
Case editrici, librerie.. vi odio!
Vabbé, non vi dico la felicità nel vedermi la Bolton al mercatino dell'usato!
La Bo
  • The Reckoning (Maeve Kerrigan, #2)
  • Little Black Lies
  • The Janus Stone (Ruth Galloway, #2)
  • Finders Keepers (Exmoor Trilogy, #3)
  • The Four Last Things (Roth, #1)
  • Love Story, With Murders (Fiona Griffiths, #2)
  • Blind Fury (Anna Travis, #6)
  • House of the Lost
  • Midwinter of the Spirit (Merrily Watkins, #2)
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
  • The Coroner (Jenny Cooper, #1)
Sharon's newest book The Craftsman is now available for pre-order and is out on the 3rd May 2018 in the UK! PLUS Alive, a short story/prequel is available for FREE! (see Sharon's website http://www.deadgoodbooks.co.uk/dead-g...)
Pre-order here now https://www.amazon.co.uk/Craftsman-Sh...

Sharon J Bolton was born and brought up in Lancashire, the eldest of three daughters. As a child, she dreamed of
More about Sharon J. Bolton

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Every Single Secret
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Cold Day For Murder (Kate Shugak #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • The Memory Closet
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Prince Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles #11)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99