Start by marking “Some Like It Charming (It's Only Temporary #1)” as Want to Read:
Some Like It Charming (It's Only Temporary #1)

Some Like It Charming

(A Temporary Engagement #1)

Mackenzie Wyatt believes in two things: herself and her plan. And her plan is to keep her head down and to work hard until she can retire. Never mind that she doesn't know what she'll do once she retires– at least she won't be working for the man anymore. Because even though he's a gorgeous man, he's still her boss and he likes to push her buttons.

Ethan Howell O'Connor's c
Published May 1st 2013

To ask other readers questions about Some Like It Charming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some Like It Charming

Kanoko
A hit that I’d put off reading for a long time—what a surprise (not).

The characters aren’t as convincing as I’d have liked, but I enjoyed Mackenzie and Ethan’s witty banter. That softball game photo in the paper and Ethan’s tongue-in-cheek comment about his failure to hide “it” had me laughing to tomorrow. The back-and-forth becomes redundant in a while, but it’s still a fun, light read.

What really does it for me is the way Mackenzie’s conflict is resolved. Many stories usually gloss over its ki
Anna
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
There are three kinds of books. There's the kind I can put down at night. There's the kind I *can't* put down...but where I'm aware of the fact I'm reading up late and feel guilty for every moment that passes, knowing I'll be cranky tomorrow. And then there are the rare books where I don't even notice it's late until I put down the book and check the time. This book falls into the last category.

It's nothing really special --- nothing deep or different about it. But it really works. Plus, there's
Diane Young
I'm going to preface this review by saying the only reason I initially read this book was because it was free on iTunes. I knew it wasn't going to be a literary masterpiece. I mean, look at that cover. But for being a free romance novel, I will say that it was a fun, quick read and I actually enjoyed the banter between the main characters. The insults thrown back and forth and the softball game at the beginning were definitely the highlights of the book.

(view spoiler)
Fanniny Moreno Zavaleta
What can I say? It was free on iTunes so I downloaded it as I do bunches of free books. I started reading it beacuese I had no internet at the moment and I was surprised I was liking it so much. I actually liked the Mackenzie, which is to say lot for I normally hate the women in the books. Anyway, I just love angst between the main characters and this book was providing it but then it kind of fell. There were lots of details starting with the title, cover and description, but it was entertaining ...more
Alla
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one more than I thought I would.
It was (almost) angst and drama free, very cute and funny at times.
A quick and nice read.
Hana Bilqisthi
I really love the banter between Mackenzie and Ethan.
Hate to lover and pretend lover at its finest 😍😍😍😂
Astra Astrid
This was an incredibly entertaining rom com. Ethan, our hero is too... everything. He's too good looking, too rich, and too charming. Everyone loves him and everyone wants a piece of him. Fortunately, the one thing he's not too, is egotistical. He doesn't want EVERYONE to love him, he just wants the right someone to love him. And that someone is Mackenzie. She's immune to his charm, likes earning her money, and...ok, she finds him attractive, but.

So, if you're in the mood for a well written, if
Tanja Glavnik
2.5 stars. This one annoyed me.

The general premise was really good - I mean, a rich guy needs a fake fiancée so that he can live his life and not have women throw themselves at him. Okay, all fine and dandy there, I can dig it. I will even, on occasion, if executed well, enjoy it.

I'm on the fence about enjoying this one.

Yes, separately, Mackenzie and Ethan were actually really good characters - but when they came together, I didn't know who to smack more. Obviously, it's apparent from the start
Carla Cabrera
This had lots of potential. I really liked the story but could not connect. The writing left me sometimes confused. it started out good. I was really liking it up through the softball game but then it lost the heat. I could not feel any chemistry between Ethan and Mackenzie. I think there was too much left to the imagination. It seemed like the author could not decide whether to keep the book clean or not so it did not succeed at creating any passion (clean or otherwise).

It started of good but q
Joan
A quick fun read. I really enjoyed the verbal sparring between the two characters, and although the ending was obvious, right from the start, this was light, frothy and readable, as well as relaxing.
Natasha
This first pages of this book drew me right in! I immediately began thinking 5-star romantic comedy, another office romance right up there with “The Hating Game.” The hero and heroine had great banter that was witty and sarcastic. The imbalance of power didn't make me uncomfortable like some office romance stories do. They aren’t equals in the company (He’s the boss or CEO), but she’s high enough that she didn’t feel threatened by him and didn’t take any sh@t from him.

Then, they went to a park
Melody Cox
***4.5 Stars***

I have to admit that I love the Temporary Engagement/Temporary Fiancee/Temporary Arrangement type books and I find them endearing. This is a very sweet story and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

This story is about a very wealthy business owner, Ethan, who is finding himself in the press much too often these days as ex-girlfriends come out of the woodwork to sell their stories about their relationships with him without any truth involved. He's being accused of many awful things he has nev
Coco.V
Oct 03, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (10/3/2019)! 🎁
Diane Call
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, sex, swearing, comedy
Rating: R for sex and language
Sex: 1 scene, many implied scenes
Language: 3 F words, 35 Lord's name in vain
Violence: none
HEA or Cliffhanger: HEA
Do I need to read books before this one: yes
Would I read more of the series: yes

Delightfully funny! They are so snarky with each other. She hides chocolate for him. And who knew Spanx had so many uses?

----SPOILERS----
Mackenzie Wyatt works in the LA office, Ethan O'Connor runs O'Connor Capital from the NY office. Everyone else thinks he's charming. He c
K.T. Munson
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Characters

The characters in this book just sizzle! Mackenzie is a complex but fascinating character. I love how independent she is! Ethan is such a charmer. 90% of the time he is as smooth as it gets. Their witty banter is amusing. This book was well named. Not to mention I loved Ethan's grandmother and mother. Also Mackenzie's friend Cassie is fantastic!

Plot

It is a romance. As the collection title says, this is a temporary engagement that sticks. Nothing earth shattering but there is an added
Aliana Milano
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Megan Bryce's characters are smart, witty, fun and playful just like this book. I'm not sure if I loved Ethan or Mackenzie more in this case. They both put up a tough fight.

"He slid his other fingers lightly up and down.
"She murmured, "I'm pretty sure this counts as sexual harrasment."
"Absolutely. Be sure and tell the judge that you like to be on top.""

Ethan was sexy and hot even though he wasn't the 110% alpha male I usually read and love. He was just as good as them though, if not better.
Georgie-who-is-Sarah-Drew
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lyuda
Just now and again a book gets everything right. This one has cracking dialogue - funny, sassy, unpredictable, deeply satisfying. It's got likeable individuals as H & h, and a plot situation that, OK, is far-fetched (but you don't read this kind of fiction for nitty realism, anyway, do you?) but achieves the required result - i.e. H & h "have" to spend time together. Good, relevant back story, and a Best Friend who will, I hope, get her own HEA in another book. Great stuff. Off to find m ...more
Jen_C
The sample had great banter so I got the book with high expectations. It did not live up. Eventually the banter became redundant, mean and overdone. I got sick of the hiding chocolate every where and the your mother hates me too (seriously??? who wants candy they find after it has been hidden in a wall or bathroom for who knows how long?). Good advice to not beat a dead horse.

If you like the standard womanizer with a heart of gold who meets his (snarky) match and is smitten forever this may wor
Regina
Nov 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the first half of the book better than the second, though I can't really put my finger on why that is. The banter between the two main characters was entertaining (more so in the beginning), the whole "hiding chocolate" shtick got a bit old.
Fun and fluffy read, I could have done without the Dad-drama.
Erika
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Loved the main female character until she got engaged to Ethan. She was strong, smart, funny and passionate about her career. Then, they get together and she starts to lose her identity - to fade into his life. Ethan is ok with this change. Some like It Charming is an example of an unhealthy relationship.
Carol
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-romance
Ok, so this is not a literary masterpiece. Nor is it particularly original with the whole pretending to be someone's girlfriend/fiance plot. However, none of that matters! It doesn't matter because the book is well-written, entertaining, and a pleasure to read. It was a light romance and a very enjoyable read. It's well worth checking out.
Pam
May 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-reads
I liked the story. It was cute made me laugh in spots. I thought the grandmother was a great character. The Heroine was just a little bit too much of a hard ass. I would have like a little more self reflection on her part. I never saw the hero as sooo charming. In fact after awhile all the innuendos were too much. They made him icky not charming. I did like the ending.
April
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i really liked the female protagonist on this one... girl power ftw!!!
Belinda Manzano
Cute story but repetitive love hate relationship. Not enough story about how the love developed.
Virginia
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, romance, read-2016
I'm not a fan of contemporary romances in general. This one is also not very good and has sexual harassment all over it.
Jeannie
Mackenzie Wyatt is good at her job, she's very good and that means she's on her boss Ethan Howell O'Connor's radar, not only is she good at her job but she is one of the only women who doesn't get all worked up by Ethan's presence.

Ethan receives some bad press from ex's and decides his only way to over come it is to get engaged and who better than the woman who doesn't like him and won't take his crap!?

They enter into a fake engagement and along the way they fall for each other.

I didn't hate t
Peri
Nov 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice surprise!
This author surely knows how to write dialogue. The banter between the h and the H is entertaining and fast-paced.
What I didn't like that much was the mother and grand-mother who played imo too big of a part in this book. They kinda annoyed me?
The fake-engagement-trope is nothing knew but what makes this story different is the focus on the characters and their relationship. This isn't so much about the reaction of their environment (apart from the mother and grand-mother
Luciana Sforza
Km Mccallum
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charming nevertheless

He was charming and she wasn't going there because she had been hurt before. Although she could. He was drawn to her because she didn't care about money or talking straightforward to him. He was falling on love and wanted her so he made an arrangement with her and she was determined not to fall in love and he mother was going to make sure because she wasn't suitable for her son. But does love prevail??? Find out!!
Jess -BeautifullyBookish-
I adored this book. It's a super fast and addicting read. The characters were so likeable and their chemistry felt real. I loved the dynamic of their relationship and it's progression. There wasn't anything in particular wrong with it but it was just missing that WOW which prevented me from giving it 5 stars. It's definitely a great book though and I thoroughly recommend!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Breaking All the Rules
  • Jake (California Dreamy, #1)
  • Love's Miracles
  • Anything You Ask
  • Liar Liar (Southern Seductions, #1)
  • The Mad Baron
  • Security
  • Damage Done
  • The Billionaire's Bauble
  • Just For You
  • Bed, Breakfast, and You (Brookfield Series, #0.5)
  • Carved In Stone (Art of Love, #1)
  • Longbourn's Songbird
  • Can't Stop Loving You (Forever Friends #1)
  • Love on the Buchanan Ranch
  • Once Around (Jersey Strong #2)
  • Stone Destiny (Stone Passions, #3)
  • Emily: Sex & Sensibility (The Wilde Sisters, #1)
Megan Bryce sits in front of a computer all day making up stories for a living. Which means she is not nearly as interesting (as well as tall, svelte, and/or dressed) as her characters. She gets bored quickly and just can't be bothered with anyone in her head who doesn't make her laugh--which translates into fun books, outrageous situations, and witty characters.

She writes both contemporary and hi

A Temporary Engagement (4 books)
  • Some Like It Ruthless  (A Temporary Engagement #2)
  • Some Like It Perfect  (A Temporary Engagement, #3)
  • Some Like It Hopeless (A Temporary Engagement #4)
“her. She looked between it and him, and said, “What’s this?” “Your temporary” 0 likes