Start by marking “Purple Hearted Man” as Want to Read:

Purple Hearted Man

Purple has a difficult job: He was placed here to take down the One-Eyed God. It’s his mission and he won’t fail. It’s a lonely road for someone like him—a healer—but he has help. The hippies are his friends: Chloe the yogi, Wheat the candlestick maker, and Berrydream, who is in retail. And he has his tribe: Charlotte, Stranger and Jackson. Eventually, the tigers that roam ...more
Kindle Edition, 1, 182 pages
Expected publication: January 2nd 2020 by Undertow Press

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Jan 07, 2020
    Enter to win one of four signed first edition hard cover copies of Purple Hearted Man by Jack McDaniel.

About the book

Purple ha

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 4 copies available, 475 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Nov 05 - Nov 25, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Purple Hearted Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Purple Hearted Man

Start your review of Purple Hearted Man
    Jeffrey Keeten
    ”I was born into a mad world--not because of the alien invasion and government conspiracy, not because of the tigers that roamed the city, nor my confrontations with the false god in his temple; those things came later. I was born of the desert, birthed into swirling dust and sand that stung my newborn face. Shockwaves overwhelmed my system and loosened the bindings between molecules, nearly rendering me to dust before I had taken my first breath.”

A man named John went to war in the desert. An
    Danean
    Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Purple Hearted Man is a well written book that is a true page turner. This book most certainly will catch a reader's attention and remind us that homelessness is a current and important issue that needs to be noticed and not overlooked.

I hope next time we encounter a homeless person we remember Purple Hearted Man and say hi or good afternoon and not just look around them as if they are not there.
    Paula
    Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I quickly recognized it would be a very hard task to find a novel comparable to Jack McDaniel’s new—and awesome—Purple Hearted Man. Only the classic 1970s protest film Oh Lucky Man! and the much-admired 1960s novels I Never Promised You a Rose Garden and One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest come approach McDaniel’s blending of deeply felt social protest, a protagonist whose viewpoint, though occasionally surreal, speaks to and for the reader, and gripping narrative momentum.

Both Purple He
    Shawn Campbell
    Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    A meticulous analogy of the human condition.

Like all of us, Purple is born in—and of—pain, defined by the confusion and severity of the world he finds himself in.

Even in the first chapter, sanity is questionable. Is Purple a healer or a killer?

That ambiguity builds an uncomfortable tension through out the story. One page, the author paints an image of a man's peacefully mundane morning routine. The next, we're inside a mad man's repetitive thoughts and ominous mantras.

As someone recently fam
    Justin Sewall
    Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Purple Hearted Man by author Jack McDaniel is unlike any book I have ever read. Now this either makes it one of the most unique books ever written, or simply demonstrates my own narrow literary tastes. It’s probably a bit of both (full disclosure: I am currently narrating the audiobook.) Purple is a Healer, newly born into a mad world. His mission is to save those under the sway of the One-Eyed God. Tigers roam the city while he and his tribe do odd jobs to support themselves. Then there are the ...more
    Sayo
    Oct 29, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: 2019
    An interesting story of a soldier returning home with untreated PTSD.
    Having suffered what seems to be a mental breakdown, he wages a war against the "One-Eyed God", calls himself a healer and carries all his possessions on his back.

'Purple' navigates life seemingly invisible in this crazily symbolic book. While short this is not a fast read. As we only see Purples side of the story, I found myself constantly trying to decipher what I was reading.

I would have loved
    John Dembiczak
    Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Purple has a calling and won’t allow anything to stop him. Fantastic challenges and adventures await him along the way. Don’t miss this intriguing read!
    Hebridean Reader
    Purple is a Armed services vet suffering from PTSD and a psychotic break, but the system has failed him and so he is left to fend for himself.
    But this is not reality according toPurple. From his point of view - from which this story is told - he was birthed by the Universe onto a battle field with the purpose of fighting the "one-eyed god" (money and capitalism) and showing people that the way forward is community and connection.
    So begins a philosophical novel that looks at what is i
    Jack McDaniel
    Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
    Stephani Hren