Start by marking “Life is Hard: Machismo, Danger, and the Intimacy of Power in Nicaragua” as Want to Read:
Life is Hard: Machismo, Danger, and the Intimacy of Power in Nicaragua

Life is Hard: Machismo, Danger, and the Intimacy of Power in Nicaragua

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  109 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
"Rambo took the barrios by storm: Spanish videotapes of the movie were widely available, and nearly all the boys and young men had seen it, usually on the VCRs of their family's more affluent friends. . . . As one young Sandinista commented, 'Rambo is like the Nicaraguan soldier. He's a superman. And if the United States invades, we'll cut the marines down like Rambo did.' ...more
Published August 30th 1994 by University of California Press (first published January 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Life is Hard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life is Hard

Mike
Apr 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-for-school
This book is 70% great.

I don't really like that Lancaster repeatedly emphasized his Marxist identity. I have no problem with Marx, but this is a book about Nicaragua, not Roger Lancaster in Nicaragua. Also, the section on homosexual relations runs around in circles and could have been shortened.

Part II: Some Lives was fantastic as was "The Negro in the Family." Both of them exposed pieces of culture by using native's words. Love it.
Rita
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I learned much from this book by Roger Lancaster: about life in a part of Managua during the contra war, about how our shameless country manipulated their economy to bring the (communist) Sandinistas to their knees, and a difference in machistas (like the one I unknowingly married) in El Norte and the ones in Latin America. Now I know why men like women to allow them anal sex. But you'll have to read this book as I did to find out. Thoroughly researched and informed.
Liz
Mar 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of the most compulsively readable ethnographies I've picked up in ages. Lancaster provides an amazing personalized, nuanced account of post-Sandinista Nicaragua, using personal anecdotes, journal excerpts, interviews, and more than a few drinking stories and gossip sessions. Although it's an anthropology monograph published by an academic press, this is one of those rare scholarly books with broad appeal. Also, for all of the anthropologists out there it, it is one of the best examples I've ...more
Javier Martinez
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like the cultural aspect of it. Life in Nicaragua and the different customs and traditions. Other parts were a lot of difficult lexicon and anthropology terms that rendered the chapter incomprehensible.
Cate
Jun 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people interested in Nicaragua, anthropologists
Shelves: history, college
An anthropological look at one family in a Managuan neighborhood. It is very interesting and well written. I cannot speak to the author's anthropological skill, but it was a very interesting read.
Jacob
Aug 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
this is anthropology done right. done beautifully.
Scott Steneker