Start by marking “Desperate Deception (Brotherhood Protectors World / Heroes Rising Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Desperate Deception (Brotherhood Protectors World / Heroes Rising Book 1)

Desperate Deception

(Heroes Rising #1)

She’d only be safe if she got away…

Lainie Taggert needed to break away from her abusive relationship before it killed her, but Sonny Fitzgerald had all the keys to controlling her. Until she landed in the hospital with bruises and broken bones. And her friend, Drea Halstead, convinced her they had to spirit her away.

His life was in limbo…

Zane Halstead was rootless
Published October 8th 2019 by Twisted Page Press LLC (first published October 3rd 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Desperate Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Desperate Deception

Start your review of Desperate Deception (Brotherhood Protectors World / Heroes Rising Book 1)
Eva Millien
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
She needs to break away from her abusive relationship before it killed her, but Sonny Fitzgerald had all the keys to controlling Lainie Taggert until she landed in the hospital with bruises and broken bones and her friend convinces her they had to spirit her away. Zane Halstead was rootless after three tours with the SEALs, medically discharged and not sure what to do with himself. Now he’s headed to Montana with a battered woman in tow hoping to keep her alive and make changes to life at the ...more
Amelia Foster
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I know you hear this from me often, but reviewing romantic suspense and/or mystery books always leaves me floundering. I have SO MUCH I want to share, but in a fabulous story like Desperate Deception, revealing certain things can spoiler some absolutely delicious twists that you really need to experience for yourself.

Let's start with a quick intro into our female lead, Lainie. This lady is one tough cookie and basically defines the word "survivor." She's in a relationship that may kill her.
Miki
This was an interesting story. I loved Zane, a damaged hero trying to find his place and still jumping into action when someone needs him. He is not perfect and that's make him even a better character. Lainie is a courageous character, she got damaged emotionnally as well as physically but she isn't giving up on the contrary she still want to try to protect others with her silence.

The rythm was a bit fast....yes vilains have lot of money and big means to get their way but i kind of would have
Nikki Brooks
Lainie has finally taken the step to leave her abusive fiance. She has taken one beating too many and now she has managed to get to the ER without any of his cromies in the vicinity. A lucky meeting with an old friend, who had been cut out of her life by Sonny the Sleazebag, and Lainie has an ad hoc road trip to a possible new start in Montana. Oh, and an ex Neavy SEAL as a bodyguard!

When Drea asked Zane to care for her friend, he didn't expect the feel so connected to her immedately. Sure he
Anne Donaldson
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My heart is still racing from the ending! This is another welcome return to the Brotherhood Protectors world, and a great meet-up with Micki and Sheriff Alex Rossi. But this book is about courage ... And this time it's Lainie who's helped to escape vile abuse, and she's helped by her friend's brother, himself injured and hurting. Zane is the kind of character readers dream of - gentle, honorable, and tough as steel. I didn't see the twist at the end coming, I feel in need of a drink after it, ...more
Lisa Gibbs
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first novel that I have read from this author. I found her when she popped up on another author's page that I follow on Facebook. I have read Elle James' Brotherhood Protector series and I thought this story sounded intriguing.

Zane Halstead is at loose ends. He is a former SEAL who was discharged from the teams when injuries proved to be too much for him to return. He received and email from another former SEAL asking him to come to Montana to see about a job as a deputy sheriff. He
Char Davis
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When LainieTaggert heard her name being called at first she was afraid that Sonny was going to finish the job.But then she recognized the voice it was her old friend Drea Halstead. Dre a told her to wake up then she said youve got to get away from him hes going to kill you.BulImia didn;t know where she could go. Then Drea said let me make a call them can you walk enough to get out of here.?Lainie said that shes gonna do whatever she needed but that there was no where to go.Then Drea said that ...more
Debbie Caswell
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another brilliant book in the Brotherhood Protector world and also the start of a new series by this very talneted author

Lainie Taggert knows that she is an abusive relationship but she can't break away from Sonny Fitzgerald he totally controls her that is until the latest incident places her in hospital and her best friend Drea Halstead convinces her she needs to escape and she has the perfect way for her to do it. Drea's brother Zane Halstead is totally adrift after he is medically discharged
Deb Diem
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Desperate Deception is a fantastic romantic suspense by Desiree Holt. Ms. Holt has once more delivered a well-written book populated with outstanding characters that readers won't be able to put down. Lainie is beaten and abused by her fiance and lands in the hospital for the fourth time in a year. Her best friend slips her out of the hospital and sends her off to Montana with her ex-SEAL brother, Zane. Zane is recovering from his wounds from his last mission with his SEAL team and is on his way ...more
Liz
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lainie Taggert knew she had to escape her abusive boyfriend before he killed her. After ending up in the hospital after the latest beating and running into an old friend who offered her help to escape she agreed to travel cross country with her friends brother who was a retired Navy Seal.
Zane Halstead didn`t know what he was getting himself into when he agreed to help his sisters friend escape from an abusive boyfriend. But when trouble comes looking for a Seal it better come looking for a fight
Rosemary
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have fallen in love with this authors books and her characters! I didnt start with this book 1, but they are all stand alone even though some characters are intertwined in the other books. This one has Lainie running from her abusive boyfriend who also wants to kill her. Zane was a Seal,but his injuries took him out. I love how these two connect and complete each others lives. Great action, characters and storyline!!! I stayed up until after 4 am reading it because I couldnt put it down lol
Cynthia Brooks
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Zane hope's this new job in Montana will be the fresh start he needs. He's having a hard time adjusting to civilian life after his injuries got him a medical discharge from the Seals. His sister calls him and asks him to help a friend of hers get away from her abusive boyfriend. He agrees and they leave for Montana. Lainie hopes this is her chance to break away from her boyfriend. I really enjoyed this story.
Iris Hehe
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
EGreat Read

Zane met Lanie when his sister called him and told him about her friend. After visiting the E R four times in less than a year Lanie knew the next time her "financee" would make good on his threat to kill her. So she had to get away from him now. He took good care of her while they made the trip. Zane was headed to a new job in Montana.
Emily Dickson
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great addition to the Brotherhood Protectors. Lanie was a great character and had to run from an abusive relationship. Zane is a SEAL who has been medically discharged and heading for a new job. Zane and Lanie grew on each other as he drove her to Montana. Great chemistry with some steam and plenty of action. This was a wonderful story! Loved it!!
Sue
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A realistic tale of how abusive a relationship can be. Zane is trying to heal after his injuries from a mission and Lanier was in a very dangerous relationship. He picks her up and with the help of his sister conceal her departure. This book may cause triggers for some. Action, danger, new love. Hea
Barbara
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book one in the Heroes Rising series also part of the Brotherhood Protectors World a well written story. That villain was one sick man. I enjoyed reading Lainie Taggert and Zane Halstead's story, and I want to read the next book. I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review.
WB
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Desperate Deception by Desiree Holt is another truly great book. A suspense storyline with captivating characters & a beautiful heartwarming love story. This read has the perfect amount of intrigue & twists. I loved reading & can’t wait for more in this series.
Jo West
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Terrific read

Really enjoyed this story.this is only my 2nd Desiree Holt book but it definitely won't be my last! This is a story that hits your emotions with a hero who is lost asxfter been medically discharged from the seals, and a heroine who isn't sure how she got herself into such a situation, she very bright and despite everything she has been through, she still has a little bit of sass and fire.
Teresa Reitnauer
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The plot flowed smoothly and building throughout the story. The characters were well-developed. Lainie and Zane were two broken individuals who used each other to get to the next step. You could feel their chemistry. I love this book and look forward to more in the series.
Lori
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
When Drea asks Zane to rescue her friend, he steps up. He's headed out of town anyway. Lainie is in so much pain and so scared, she goes without question. Has fate worked to put them together, because she doesn't just seem to need him, they seem to need each other. This was a good read.
Laura L Ziskovsky
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not great

I just didn't get into it. It was anticlimactic and I couldn't connect with the characters. I've read others by Desiree that were better.
Lorelei Confer
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing

So intriguing, I had to keep reading until the last page. Sex scenes were excellent and more than inspiring. Would definitely recommend!
Teresa  Hild
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! Lainie and Zane, both flawed and damaged, finding strength and love with each other. Zane, a medically discharged SEAL, had no idea what he was going to do with his life, gets a call from his sister to help a severely abused woman to disappear. I loved reading how they’re relationship went from strangers to something more with a little action thrown in.
WB
Dec 11, 2019
Jodie Brown
Oct 28, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Blind Trust (Brotherhood Protectors World)
  • The Mechanic (Brotherhood Protectors World)
  • Shelter for Viviana (Police and Fire: Operation Alpha)
  • Danger In Montana (Brotherhood Protectors World)
  • Rescuing Gracelynn (Special Forces: Operation Alpha / Bravo RISC Team #1)
  • Protecting Cara (Special Forces: Operation Alpha)
  • Securing Ara (Special Forces: Operation Alpha / Team Cerberus Book 6)
  • Kyle (Special Forces: Operation Alpha / Gold Team Book 3)
  • Guarding Cindy (Special Forces: Operation Alpha)
  • Rescuing Samantha (Special Forces: Operation Alpha)
  • Charlotte (Special Forces: Operation Alpha / Finding His Destiny Book 1)
  • A Killer Talent (Brotherhood Protectors World)
  • Justice for Oswin (Police and Fire: Operation Alpha / Seeking Justice Book 3)
  • Shadow Redemption (Fortress Security #11)
  • Sultry Seattle Nights (Brotherhood Protectors World)
  • SEAL's Hellion (Special Forces Operation Alpha / Black Eagle Book 3)
  • Unlocking Hope (Special Forces: Operation Alpha / Flipping Love Story Book 2)
  • Saving Christmas (Special Forces: Operation Alpha / Green Beret Book 4)
A multi-published, award winning, Amazon and USA Today best-selling author, Desiree Holt has produced more than 200 titles and won many awards. She has received an EPIC E-Book Award, the Holt Medallion and many others including Author After Dark’s Author of the Year. She has been featured on CBS Sunday Morning and in The Village Voice, The Daily Beast, USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, The ...more