Start by marking “Fatal Traditions: A Short Story from the Deadwood Humorous Mystery Series (Deadwood Shorts Book 5)” as Want to Read:

There’s a real trick to catching a soul-stealing Hungarian devil made of shadow and smoke. Unfortunately, Violet Parker doesn’t know what that trick is and her aunt’s life depends on her figuring it out. But killing is an old family tradition for her ... or rather a fatal tradition.
Published October 1st 2019 by Ann Charles

To ask other readers questions about Fatal Traditions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fatal Traditions

Start your review of Fatal Traditions: A Short Story from the Deadwood Humorous Mystery Series (Deadwood Shorts Book 5)
Cheryl
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
During this story Violet is going to get a history lesson from her Aunt Zoe, Doc, Cornelius, Reid and even her son, Layne. She is trying find out how to kill a liderc for Masterson and save her Aunt Zoe from Masterson.
We have a New Year,’s pajamas party board game with stories thrown in. At this point she is learning and trying to figure out how to stop something but learns she needs help from an unusual source.
I love the book and the humor which runs throughout the entire story! I highly
Peggy
Fatal Traditions

I'm not a regular paranormal reader,but one of my cousins steered me towards Ann Charles.
I have been reading her Deadwood and Jackpot Junction series.

This is a short story and a fun read.

Her main character from the Deadwood series,Violet Parker and some of her sidekicks are sitting around on New Year's Eve,discussing Violet's family history.

I highly recommend not only this latest in the Deadwood series but all of the books in the series.
Cynthia Matthews-robertson
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Deadwood short

I chose a 5 star rating because when I finished it gave me a bit of chills. Violet finally learns some family history. All I can say is WOW, and excited for the next deadwood book.
Susan
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Need more!!

Another page turning installment with Violet and the gang. What is more fun than playing board games with Violet & Doc? Learning more about her family traditions! Add Cornelius, Aunt Zoe, Reid and you’ll be laughing out loud. I definitely need more. Right now!!
Jo Ann Reinhold
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A spooktacular visit into the family history of a reluctant " Scharfricter"
It's New Year's Eve andViolet Parker is throwing a party, well sort of. As she tries to figure out how she is going to catch a soul-stealing Hungarian devil in order to save her aunt, she spends the evening with friends and loved ones as they revisit some family history, with a few rounds of Tequila to help it all go down. You won't want to miss this humorous and spooky look into Violet's family's past as she plots how to
Susan (The Book Bag)
I absolutely love this series! The characters that Ann Charles has created and woven into this hilarious mystery series are unique, memorable, quirky, and lovable. I am truly amazed at the story-lines this author comes up with as she pits her characters against the evils of another world—and sometimes against each other. I love all of the characters in this series and enjoy dropping back into Deadwood to visit them again. Life is never dull in Violet's world, that's for sure.

I particularly love
Sharon
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome

Family night at violets
They were playing a cool game. I bet the author would make a fortune if she created this game for real. Wow

It is a short story with a full body. I loved it and looking forward to more.
Darrell
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful

This was a wonderful 10 chapter short story with some insight on her back ground with her family background!
Love Violet and her whole crew of characters!!
Shy
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fatal Traditions

This was a great short(ish) story with some of my favorite characters (a few are out visiting some of our old friends). We get to learn about past gladiators with the hope it will help our favorite heroine in the future. I recommend it like I do all other Ann Charles stories
Linda
Another very important link into Violet’s paranormal responsibilities. Everyone is there for a reason. She will be tasked with killing a supernatural being but she will fail if she tries to do it alone. She will need the assistance of another Executioner. While all of this is talked about around a spooky game called ‘Boo-Ville’ the story of the Black Hills of Deadwood are compared with the Black Forest of Germany. Is there a connection. Is that why all of these supernatural creatures are coming ...more
Jan Locke
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
New year, new resolution

A not so pretty story that perfectly sets the stage for the next adventure. This is the only paranormal series I'm addicted to but these characters and the setting of the Black Hills drew me and the plot gets crazier with each book. The relationships also are important and trust, loyalty and family love keep growing among these close friends and family. Start with book one to be able to fit in with this bunch!
Dolly
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How many ways can I say EXCELLENT, Enthralling, Addictive? I can't get enough of Ann Charles writing. This book is no exception and fills in quite a few blanks. I'd give it 10 stars, maybe even 20 If I could.
Nannette
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hurry up Ms. Charles...I need more

As always I love Ann Charles books. This one is very good and left me with needing more. All I can do is impatiently wait for her to write more.
Vicki Brown Smith
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
To short

Dang it now I have to wait for Violets next book. What torture !!!
I'm excited
I'm cracking the whip Ann
Yvonne Farmer
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun story perfect blend of humor and spooky so happy to finally know what was in the book. Violet family and friends always give me a laugh and then we get the hot romance with Doc it makes for a good read. I have to admit I loved the jokes and puns during the game I cannot wait for the next book and have to admit I sure missed Harvey.
Connie
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ann Charles never ceases to amaze me! I love her books. It was so fun to spend New Year’s Eve with Violet, Doc, Aunt Zoe, Layne, Reid & Cornelius. (I did miss Old Man Harvey, Natalie & Coop though - but they are having fun in Arizona!) Lots of intrigue & activity going on & Layne proves to be quite smart & knowledgeable in his Mom’s lifestyle! Fully recommend this book & all the other Ann Charles books!
Sheila Fry
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If it was possible to give 6 stars I would---I loved it! So many of the pieces of Violet's history filled in over a board game with friends and family on New Years Eve! I always love the shorts, but this one is especially beneficial since it gives us much needed insight into the family book that Violet has been trying to avoid but now knows she needs to learn about her history in order to do what she needs to keep her family safe. I love how her son Layne is such a big part of the story telling ...more
Christie Johnson
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just a fun night of family and playing games.......or is it?? Violet may not be reading what she's supposed to, but Aunt Zoe gets the information to her and everyone else at the table.
Ann writes and makes me feel like I am sitting right a that table with Violet and the gang. The only thing I am missing are Aunt Zoe's lemon bars and whisky slush!
Gail Mathers
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fatal Traditions

WOW. Absolutely fantastic short story. It is the best. Truly fun, interesting,full of humor,scary stuff. Just the right balance of humor, fright,fun and romance. A really great addition to the other books also helps link Quint's happenings up to Violet's. Making the things going on in the two different stories connect. I really love the story and am eagerly awaiting the next full book. I too wonder h o w Violet is going to catch the critter and will be waiting to see. Seriously a
Sue
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quick shot

Just a quick wrap up to the Deadwood story line so all the details are in place for the next adventure!
Lj Ducharme
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lot of story(ies) packed into 11 short chapters. Always glued me in.
beth
New Year?

Violet is celebrating New Year's eve with her family and friends. During a game based on gruesome history, Violet realizes she is going to be adding to this history. Can Violet handle this next assignment?
Kelly Young
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ann Charles has taken the short story format and used it to connect elements of many of her full length books in a fun yet informative packavge. As always, this is well written, humourous, and gives us new insight into favourite characters. It leaves us not only wanting more, but expecting it as well. I can hardly wait for the next instalment. Also, I want that board game.
#AnnWCharles
#FatalTraditionsDeadwoodShorts #NewbookbyAnnCharles #DeadwoodMysterySeriesExtraLongShort
Laura Wollam
A New Year’s Eve Party to remember

This newest installment in the Deadwood Mystery Series Shorts is a must read for all Violet Parker fans. Do you want to learn about Violet’s ancestors and their battles with those other world beings? Do you want to know how and how not to defeat these creatures? Then pick up this book and dive into a wild New Year’s Eve party with Violet and some of her gang for a wild night of games and learning to ring in the new year.
Kristopher Lee Adams
Growing

I liked this short very much because in it we get to see Violet becoming more in-tune with the reality of who she is and that, while she hates the idea of letting those she loves to close to her battles, the only way to keep them safe is not fighting to keep them at a distance from the fight, but rather, bring them into the fight.
Heather Chargualaf
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All Violet wants to do is enjoy New Years Eve drinking some tequila, kissing Doc at midnight and having some laughs with friends. Noooo of course she must hear about all the past executioners and how their lives turned out for the bad.
This nice short goes into some background on what the experience and lives of family past was like and how it might keep Violet alive a bit longer than past executioners.
Lisa Norvell
Awesome

This is the perfect short story to hold you over until the next book. Violet learns more about her heritage and herself.
Dawn
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this series.
This book takes place in a night and next morning. It helps us learn things that we’ve wanted to know about what’s in the family book, the history.
Now, if you haven’t read any other books in the series you’ll get to listen to friends banter, tell stories and play an interesting game that’s not sold in stores (I checked).
While you won’t know the history you’ll know the comrade between them.
I’m excited for the next book since this sets the stage for our Heroine, Violet, to go
Raelene Cowley
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Totally paranormal!

"In your line of work, Violet Lynn, you can't be choosy where you find your happiness. Take your joy where you can, because the road you walk is often dark and full of deadly beings wanting to tear you to pieces."
Debbie
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another exciting addition to Ann Charles' Deadwood library!
It's New Year's Eve and Violet, her aunt Zoe, her son, Layne, Reid, Doc and Cornelius (who is my personal favourite character out of all of this author's books and never fails to make me laugh!) are gathered in Aunt Zoe's kitchen for a scary board game, and an even scarier conversation regarding all the Executioners in Violet's family, along with the usual hilarity this gang brings.
I'm so excited to see where the story will go in the

• Swamp Santa (Miss Fortune Mystery #16)
  • Witchin' Around The Clock (Wicked Witches Of The Midwest, #15)
  • The Hitwoman and the Fallen Angel (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman #20)
  • A FISTFUL OF DEMONS (HANNAH HICKOK WITCHY MYSTERY #2)
  • WICKED DECISIONS (AN IVY MORGAN MYSTERY #15)
  • Ghostly Fears (A Harper Harlow Mystery Book 13)
  • Only The Lost (Death Gate Grim Reapers Thriller, #3)
  • Oracles & Obituaries (An Avery Shaw Mystery Book 15)
  • No Crones About It (A Spell's Angels Cozy Mystery #2)
  • Cajun Fried Felony (Miss Fortune Mystery #15)
  • Three Alarm Fury (Federal Bureau of Magic Cozy Mystery #6)
  • Make Believe Murder (Merry Wrath #12)
  • A Cry in the Dark (Carly Moore #1)
  • One Woman's Junk (Psychic Consignment Mystery Book 1)
  • Millie on a Mission (A Charlie Rhodes Mystery #5.5)
  • Crazy, Stupid, Dead (Working Stiffs Mystery #7)
  • Witch Is How To Fool Cats (A Witch P.I. Mystery Book 34)
  • Suspect in High Heels (High Heels Mysteries Book 10)
Ann Charles—Author
Nearly Departed in Deadwood, the 2010 Daphne du Maurier Award Winner and a 2011 RWA Golden Heart Award Winner.
*USA Today Best Selling Author,