Jump to ratings and reviews

Wellington Patriot #1

Voyage of the Heart

Baldwin Wellington, son of Lord Alden Wellington, grew up in Wellingshire, England in Highwoods Castle.  He was a mischievous young boy, and after being accused of a crime he didn't commit, he is ostracized from his family.  He is punished, barely escapes with his life, and is sent to the British Colonies in North America.

Meanwhile, Bronwyn Kerrigan is a Scots-Irish lass whose father dies and she has to make an important decision about her future.  She can either accept a marriage proposal or take an indentureship for Lord Fairfax in the colony of Virginia.

Baldwin and Bronwyn meet each other on the ship crossing the Atlantic where they will endure many hardships, to include storms, disease, and pirates.

230 pages, Kindle Edition

First published February 14, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Cheryl R. Lane

14 books71 followers
Cheryl R. Lane is the author of the historical romance Wellington Cross series, the paranormal romance Angel Series, and the new historical romance Wellington Patriot series. She has been self-publishing her books since December 2012. Her book, Sunrise Kisses, was a finalist in the 2018 Golden Quill Award Contest sponsored by Golden Box Books Publishing. She grew up in East Tennessee and moved to Virginia Beach, Virginia, after she married her high-school sweetheart. They have a son and a Havanese dog. She enjoys gardening, walking, traveling, reading, and spending time with family and friends.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
23 (67%)
4 stars
8 (23%)
3 stars
2 stars
1 star
Displaying 1 - 22 of 22 reviews
Profile Image for Lauren.
1,076 reviews68 followers
August 6, 2022
Read: 9/19/20

Very interesting read! These two indentured servants, from very different classes, have a crazy adventure on sea. One being private. I love hoe H can charming even the rest of people.

I can't wait for the sequel!
2,075 reviews39 followers
February 14, 2020
Baldwin Wellington was born to a prosperous English family from Wellingshire England, but his life wasn't a happy one. His parents blamed him for their tragedy. He misbehaved to gain their attention. I hated to see him race to his destruction. Now he's on a ship to the Colonies as punishment for his crimes. He doesn't realize that redemption awaits him. Bronwyn Kerrigan is a talented Irish healer. After her father's death, her mother is forced to send her to Virginia as an indentured servant. I admired Bronwyn's courage. She's embarking on a perilous journey, but it's her only option. When Baldwin and Bronwyn meet, their connection is immediate. I knew they were fated to be together. I was happy. They were perfect together. I could tell that her gentle spirit would help Baldwin become a better person. Unfortunately Rowena Thorowgood, a victim of Baldwin's thieving, is on the voyage. It was hard to like this stubborn, selfish woman. She's spoiled and willful. I liked how these three find their lives intertwined. How will it end? I had to know. I couldn't stop reading Voyage of the Heart. Cheryl R. Lane has written a exciting and romantic story. The characters are vibrant and alive. I cared for them and wanted them to find happiness. This book is well written and left me with a happy feeling. I can't wait for the next story in The Wellington Patriot series.
Profile Image for Tina Meyers.
225 reviews7 followers
January 18, 2020
I received an ARC for an honest review. This is book one of a series. It clearly has more of a story to tell. And what a story it is! Historical romance is a fairly new genre to me and I'm loving it. This book has an appealing cover that drew me to it over others I currently have to read. But the lives and loves of Bronwyn, Baldwin, Rowena and the other characters in the book made this one I didn't want to put down until I finished. The characters come from all walks of life, rich to poor, educated and servant and the Twain did meet and did mix quite well in the writer's vision. The journey to the colonies from Europe was filled with illnesses, pirates, and love stories that were sometimes sad and other times totally unexpected. Once they land in the colonies I can see these lives changing once again in unexpected ways, but that is for the author to tell me in the rest of the series and I CAN NOT wait to read it!
February 16, 2020
I loved the two main characters in this book. Baldwin Wellington, son of a wealthy English lord and Bronwyn a Scottish/Irish lass of meager means. They meet under difficult circumstances and go through many trials and tribulations, to finally be together and share their love for each other. If you love romance and drama, then you will love this book.
February 9, 2020
Just like the author's other books you immediately get caught up in the story and it's characters. Love the way you can feel like you're right there with them. I can not wait for the next book to come out.
Profile Image for Christy Rankin.
1 review1 follower
Read
February 9, 2020
If you like adventure and romance you will love this book. The story and characters were brought to life. I could see the story unfolding in my mind as i read and could not put it down.
Profile Image for Diane Zielinski.
3 reviews1 follower
January 29, 2020
What an amazing piece of work!! I was hooked from the beginning to the end. The excitement never stops. While reading Voyage I took a little voyage myself. The ups & the downs throughout was fantastic. Some characters you fall in love with from the beginning one in particular well lets say in the end I changed my mind of her. Do yourself a favor and get on board the ship and take a Voyage of the Heart for a ride. You will not be disappointed. Adventure galore, and beware of nasty pirates along the way! Great read and I can hardly wait to see what adventures are ahead for this "crew".
Profile Image for Susan The Book Dragon Campton.
213 reviews11 followers
March 24, 2020
Welcome to Tea Time, my Fellow Book Dragons. I have a most delightful Gem for you today. It is a pearl. See how it shimmers and glows it lovely ivory pink in the candlelight? It came from quite far off to get here. One pearl of a perfect strand that once belonged to a maiden fair, but sad and desperate and coveted by a rogue, fallen and also desperate. This is Gem Maker Cheryl R. Lane’s “Voyage of the Heart”.
This is the tale of two people, Baldwin, fallen son of Lord Wellington, now rogue and thief, always charming, accused of murder he did not commit and Bronwyn Kerrigan, daughter to a deceased father, promised to a man she does not love, with only two choices, submit to marriage or indenture herself.
If you love romance, adventure and pirates on the high seas, you will love this book. I have always loved the fact that books take us to places we have never gone all whilst sitting in our Cave, comfortable and relaxed, living adventures we’d never otherwise have had. This one takes us from the shores of England to the shores of Colonial America. We meet a handsome ship’s captain, a band of bloody pirates, determined lovers, demanding betrothals, and more along the way in this one.
If you are looking for a tale to take you far away from the everyday world of late, this is the one for you. Available now. Enjoy! Until tomorrow, I remain, your humble Book Dragon,
Drakon T. Longwitten
17 reviews
January 27, 2020
Wow!
It's been quite a while since I read a book that really held my attention.
It has romance, intrigue and pirates! I can't wait for book 2 so I can see what mischief Bronwyn and Baldwin get themselves into next. If you enjoy historical romance I strongly urge you to give this book a try, I don't think you will be disappointed.
January 28, 2020
This is a 5 stars for me loved the plot and the romance I couldn't put the book down!!! Can't wait for the 2nd one!!!!
January 25, 2020
Voyage of the Heart comes to life in unexpected ways, intertwining the characters lives unexpectedly while they deal with heartache, pain, love, pirates, illness and more on the way to the colonies. The cover draws you to the story. The story line makes it a book that you can’t put down. It draws you in and you begin find yourself in the story actually seeing it come to life. Love the ending it leaves you with a smile on your face and looking forward to the next book in the series. Can't wait!
Profile Image for Susan.
2 reviews1 follower
January 19, 2020
The Voyage of the Heart was a great beginning to the Wellington Patriot series and enjoyable as a sort of "pre-qual" to the Wellington Cross series. Watching the characters develop along with their relationships was easy get lost in. This book takes the reader back to the UK before America's independence and follows the characters across the ocean to the colonies. This is a part of history that was exciting, dangerous, and filled with possibility.

Voyage of the Heart is a great historical fiction book that many could enjoy. If you're not a history fan, it also takes you on an adventure with love, loss, and pirates! I definitely suggest this to anyone with an adventurous mind and I personally look forward to seeing where the author takes these characters in the future.
Read
January 22, 2020
Just finished reading Voyage of the Heart...enjoyed the book....would highly recommend....well written.Waiting with anticipation for Book 2.
January 14, 2020
I loved this story . It was exciting , and suspenseful as well . When I got to the last line I felt that I couldn’t wait to read the next book . I thought “ no it can’t end there “ .
Patiently waiting on reading the Rest of the Story .
Profile Image for Trish Cutter.
1 review2 followers
January 22, 2020
I absolutely loved this book. I don't get to read often and when I do, its usually a "beachy" book. I am glad I chose to read this one. The suspense and love story really got me. This book was certainly a page turner and I am looking forward to reading more.
January 18, 2020
Great read from the first page. Loved all of the adventures Baldwin and Bronwyn encountered together. The suspense of waiting to see what happened next kept me from putting the book down. The ending left me wanting the next book.
January 18, 2020
Loved this book! Story that keeps you turning pages. Can't wait for the next one! All of Cheryl's books are great!!
969 reviews1 follower
May 15, 2020
Good book

This, overall, is a good book. Some of it, like the part about pirates, reminds me of children's stories. It not bad though, I think you will like it.
1,436 reviews18 followers
September 21, 2022
I was so taken by this story of survival and love. Bronwyn decided she would not marry and leaves Ireland to go to the colonies. Baldwin is also on the same ship, but as a prisoner. Bronwyn is assigned to heal him, with her herbs and such. What starts out as a caring act, would eventually be more. They must endure much in their long journey to Virginia.
55 reviews1 follower
July 10, 2021
A surprising read!

I am not much for this type of genre, but was so pleasantly surprised . This book was so interesting and the character and their descriptions so believable . So looking forward to book #2. Thank you for enriching my interest. Great read!!
Profile Image for Dianne Bailey.
59 reviews1 follower
October 15, 2022
I really enjoyed the way this book kept adventure and intrigue mixed in with the love story.
Profile Image for Robin.
457 reviews13 followers
October 30, 2022
Bronwyn does not wish to marry the man chosen for her so decides to go the colonies. 7 yrs as a housekeeper for Lord Fairfax. On the ship she helps care for sick and hurt as she is trained by her father before he passed in plants,herbs and oils . She helps Baldwin and they become good friends, ultimately falling in love. Will they see each other again after the voyage?
Great historical and love story, can't wait for book 2.
Displaying 1 - 22 of 22 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.