Start by marking “The Praying Mantis Bride (Nameless #3)” as Want to Read:
The Praying Mantis Bride (Nameless #3)

The Praying Mantis Bride

(Nameless #3)

A deadly black widow has eliminated three husbands and counting. But Nameless knows her one weakness. To bring truth and its consequences to her crimes, the vigilante must spin a web of his own in part three of the Nameless series.

Lucia—current last name, Rickenbah—has made a fortune by marrying rich men who tend to drop dead. But the superstitious blonde believes in more

Published November 12th 2019 by Amazon Original Stories

To ask other readers questions about The Praying Mantis Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Praying Mantis Bride

Start your review of The Praying Mantis Bride (Nameless #3)
Obsidian
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well this one was a surprise. We have Nameless taking out a black widow. And honestly this one was more delightful than the other two. Probably because of that ending and also the superstitious stuff that Lucia (the black widow) and her mother believed in like carrying an acorn to stop aging, stepping on ants causes rain, etc. Once again though I have to say that Nameless doesn't feel needed here.

"The Praying Mantis Bride" has Nameless on a special mission. A man that was part of the Ace of
Sheila Beaumont
This is the third book in Dean Koontz's "Nameless" series, and my favorite so far.
Mary
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
This was not my favorite of the Nameless stories. The story itself was good - Preying Mantis (Black Widow). The man with no name tracks the multiple timed "widow" down or rather the Ace of Diamonds group does. The stage is set for payback, reminding me of scary poltergeist movies and books. This writing is perfect. The rating dropped for me because Koontz went into full-on horror mode. i just don't handle that well. Suffice it to say those that should be gone are gone by the end, sanity and all. ...more
Claire Yamagata
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
The woman in this story gives the "black widow" a run for her money.
Chris DiLeo
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
As with the three previous installments of Nameless's exploits, this one gives our hero every resource he needs and finds the baddie (a gorgeous woman, in this instance, who seduces rich men and murders them) defeated quite easily, though they have some cat-with-a-mouse fun with her first.

Again, the writing is smooth and functional, the story quick, but it's not terribly satisfying.

Of the three I've read so far, this one had the most interesting approach narratively speaking, but Koontz
Dante
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
"All he wanted to do is films"
Romeo
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mark Noble
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Praying Mantis Bride, the third story in Dean Koontz’s Nameless series is my favorite so far. We learn more about the Ace of Diamonds organization and understand that their resources appear to be unlimited, although we do not know where they come from. Nameless is supported by a small team as they plan the actions against their next target. He also has a full time helper, Devlin, an obvious pseudonym. We learn a few bits more about Nameless. He enjoys giving extravagant tips although he is ...more
wally
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: koontz
finished this one yesterday in the tree stand good read five stars amazing kindle owned and following the theme as it develops a couple highlights:

Not every case requires him to kill, but when he does, he kills known murderers whom the law will not touch or the courts acquit for one reason or another.

They want not merely to destroy the woman psychologically and prevent her from murdering again, but also to terrify and torment her so that she feels keenly the sword of justice.

One big problem.
Chelley Marie
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m really enjoying these short stories. It’s free on kindle so if your a DK fan you should read it:)
Shorty
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This one was a little more fun.
Edoardo Ballerini is the narrator with this audiobook, as with all the audiobooks in the Nameless series.
4 stars, and recommended.
Dee Cherry
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
In part 3, Nameless really had a plan for this dangerous female killer. It's interesting to read how he meticulously takes down the villains. Good read
Denice Langley
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
Dean Koontz has given us a "character", Nameless, who travels the world, administering a righteous form of justice to those whose crimes would go unpunished. Koontz' writing gives Nameless a humanity while also making him an oddly creepy character, typical Koontz. A short read, about 60 minutes for me, but very well developed and defined in this short story.
Coty
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, short-stories
Pamela Scott
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it

And things just get more and more intriguing with the Nameless series. This is my favourite tale so far. This time around, you find out that Nameless does not work alone. He is one of who knows how many operatives all with fake identities whose pasts have been erased. Who’s pulling the strings? Why? This had a bit more action that the rest of the series and was quite dark and gory at times, especially towards the end. I loved the way Nameless and his
Nicole Shelby
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-dark
I will read anything by Dean Koontz - and have probably read everything that he has already released. A series of shorts about an amnesiac truth-seeking scale-balancing vigilante-type? Yes, please.
Deyth Banger
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: not-interest
"December 2, 2019 –
100.0% "“It was self-defense.”
“Where did you get the knife? You didn’t have it on the plane.""
December 2, 2019 –
100.0% ""“You think you’re so beautiful,” Valjean says, “but all I see is a maggot disguised in a human skin. Your father was a maggot, and you’re a maggot, and you’ll get on your knees!"

"The greedy pig needed to apologize for treatin’ me like shit all these years. All she needed to do was apologize.”
“But now you’ve killed her,” Devlin says."
December 2, 2019 –
Lybo Buchanan
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the third Book in the Nameless series. These are novellas, revolving around a man who has no memory beyond 2 years ago, does not know his own name, and is clairvoyant. He dishes out justice to those considered above the law, or the law simply cannot reach. He is not a vigilante, since he works under the direction of a group he only knows as the Ace of Diamonds. They are precise in their knowledge of who they're dealing with & what needs to be done & how to do it. Nameless is ...more
April Myers
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is part of a series offered through Amazon Prime. It was an interesting story, just took a couple hours to read, and The concept of a character named “Nameless” was intriguing. I wish I had gotten to know him a little better. I guess you have to keep reading the series for that. A lot of hints but the author just doesn’t close the loop. Really got to know the Cruella character and her mom pretty well. Never really connected the title to the character. I guess you’re supposed to know about ...more
Carolyn Injoy
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary Kindle copy of The Praying Mantis Bride (Nameless Book 3) by Dean Koontz in an Amazon promotion in exchange for a fair review.

Valjean Jones described: "Gathered in the armchair in the cat-littered living room of her corroded and immobile mobile home, she is wasted into a bony form that suggests some species of spider that, instead of building webs, spins misery that sustains her in place of food."

I gave this book five stars because I found it fascinating. It is an
Jordan Anderson
The Praying Mantis Bride is, up to this point in the Nameless collection, the most Dean Koontz feeling story of the bunch.

By this I mean that it carries all the typical tenants of his work. Bad guy (woman in this case), likable protagonist, a plot that may or may not revolve around poltergeists...this is all stuff we’ve seen before from Koontz.

Then again, what we haven’t seen from Koontz in a while (8 novels at least), is a story (well, series) that’s been as consistently enjoyable as Nameless.
Bookphile
I didn't like this one *quite* as much as the previous two, I think mostly because of the supernatural elements. Yes, there are also supernatural elements to the previous stories, but the particular type of supernatural element used here just didn't work as well for me.

(view spoiler)
Phil Dourado
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thought this was much better ...

... than the first two in the Nameless series. Better-written, not just a better story, but the latter, too. Even a bit of humour at the end of this, which is sorely lacking in the first two. An enjoyable quick read. Still one or two trademark Koontz frown-making (on the part of the reader as you try and figure out what on earth he thinks he’s saying) colourful descriptions like the one about the moon progressing along its groove of an orbit to eventually fall
Lennie Grace
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh god! I've loved all the "Nameless" stories I've read/listened to so far, but if I was forced to pick out a favorite, this would probably be it. :D

A mix of thriller, ghost story, and a "Deadly Women" episode, this short story has a bit of everything I like! :D This was awesome and just a bit scary.

Okay, a lot scary. And I loved it.

It was great. Highly recommended! I really liked the scenes with the mother character. She is awesomely crazy, and the book is worth a read just for her! :D On to
Kristina
Dec 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Quick and Entertaining Read.

“They are not, not, not in the business of assuring justice where it has been denied. Justice has been twisted by culture and politics until its meaning is everywhere contested. Each of their missions is instead meant to bring truth and its consequences into the life of someone who has woven a persona of lies, thereby putting an end to his or her crimes.”
Really enjoying these short stories of Nameless. Each book it’s own case that gives the pertinent detail and wraps
Tere Fredericks
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Story Getting Intense

Lucia has just cremated her third husband, shot dead in a Paris restaurant, presumably a victim of a terrorist.

We join Nameless as he is interviewing Lucia's mother, who claims not to know where Lucia is. Lucia left home, looking back only with 20 cartons of Christmas cigarettes.

Perhaps mom can help in Nameless another way?

More and more people seem to be a part of the life Nameless has made for himself. He is not surprised by nor does he question their presence. Very
Christine Lundy
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wicked Wicked Widow

The villainess was fearless, focused and fierce in her determination 'to have and to hold' her husbands possessions. In a way you feel sympathy for her once your introduced to her mother and how hateful she is. However, as we make our own decisions you see she has steered her own course and has set her own fate.

Nameless and the team bring justice as only they can.

I gave it four stars as it's a quick, intense read with a satisfying ending.
Lorraine
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG!!! WHAT A WILD READ!!!

This book, is probably the most intense book, YET!!
This has to be the most complex, crazy mission that Nameless has been on!!
A woman who has been murdering Husbands for their millions of dollars. Murders, she has been committing since her first kill, in High School. The ending, is the wildest thing I think I have ever read!!
PS: You might want to keep a light on...as you read this...LOL
But anyway....lol...I'm off to read the next book!!
Johnny
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it, ebook
Better than the second story, not as good as the first, the redeeming factor is a supernatural element included for a deus ex machina effect. This time around, Nameless doesn't get just one partner but an entire team to prepare for this story's villain's termination. I liked it better when he was acting alone, simply getting his intel from Ace to go where he is needed.
Margaret
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: completed
Loving this!

Once again, Nameless has a goal to aim for.
Lucia, bride in the books title, is in for some surprises doled out by the main man himself!
I am loving this series, loving the way Nameless and the Ace team plan their schemes and the not knowing what that is until the end! Brilliant!!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Dean Koontz, the author of many #1 New York Times bestsellers, has been acknowledged as "America's most popular suspense novelist" by Rolling Stone. He lives in Southern California with his wife, Gerda, and their golden retriever, Elsa.

• Once Night Falls
  • Play Dirty
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • The Zombie Room
  • The Elephant Tree
  • In the Unlikely Event
  • Dirty Letters
  • Magic Hour
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
  • I Am Pilgrim
  • Watchmen
  • Black Rock Bay
  • Geostorm The Shift: A Post-Apocalyptic EMP Survival Thriller (The Geostorm Series Book 1)
  • The Unannounced Christmas Visitor
  • Ark
  • Summer Frost
  • A Place Called Fear (Maggie Novak Thriller #2)
  • Bred in the Bone (Widow's Island #4)

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the