Start by marking “The Mercy of Snakes (Nameless #5)” as Want to Read:
The Mercy of Snakes (Nameless #5)

The Mercy of Snakes

(Nameless #5)

A series of suspicious deaths in a retirement home draws Nameless into the confidence of a terrified former resident—and into the dark heart of a shocking conspiracy. In part five of the Nameless series, it’s time to hunt.

Oakshore Park is Michigan’s most exclusive assisted-living community. Presided over by two killer angels of mercy, it’s also the go-to facility in

Published November 12th 2019 by Amazon Original Stories

To ask other readers questions about The Mercy of Snakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mercy of Snakes

Start your review of The Mercy of Snakes (Nameless #5)
Obsidian
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Spoilers for events from Nameless #1, "In the Heart of the Fire".

Had to go to the gym to workout, which was a welcome break from this series. Honestly this is just boring. At this point what is the purpose of Nameless. The guy barely does anything. He does kill someone in this story, but other than that, why would someone need to have amnesia to do this. His "powers" are not in play in this one either. We hear more about the purple blue eyed woman and I now hate the colors purple and blue.

"The
Shorty
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Edoardo Ballerini is the narrator.
Mary
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: koontz, short-story
Number 5 in the nameless series. I like this one very much. The stories of Ace, the organization and Nameless are again serving up justice by destroying some very evil people. The actual who and circumstances of the crimes and psychopathic tilt are not at the forefront for me anymore. Evil is evil and does not grow or change. It can be gotten rid of by the Good or so I hope. In this one, I noticed more how Nameless seems. He seems to have no emotion doing or watching the deaths of the culprits. ...more
Romeo
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mark Noble
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Mercy of Snakes is the 5th story in Dean Koontz’s Nameless series. By now, the format of the story is familiar. The Ace of Diamonds has identified another evil person who manages to avoid the grip of justice. Nameless is dispatched to ensure that the truth is outed and that the evil is punished or eliminated. The villains in this story euthanize unsuspecting elderly residents in a very upscale assisted living residence that caters to wealthy patrons in Charlevoix, Michigan. Dr. Murdock ...more
Dee Cherry
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Series continues to hold my interest as Nameless is sent to rid the world of more villains. The various settings and characters prove and are good examples that evilness occurs in all situations
wally
Shelves: koontz
finished yesterday the 21st of november 2019 good read five stars amazing kindle owned highlighted a couple places definition of types of people in the world not so much in this one like i'd highlighted in the other four and i've opened the last #6 but have not begun to read.

i've wondered about some of the current stories published where often the protagonist executes a kind of frontier justice, takes the law into his own hands...usually "his" can't think of any female protagonists though i
Allyson Bradley
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Unfulfilled

I enjoyed the first two stories in this series and they gripped me and pulled me in. The next two, and now this one have left me unfulfilled. The more I think about this the more I come to the conclusion it isn't so much the story as it is the lack of depth. I don't have time to grow to love the characters or gate the characters. I'm looking for more. I want to connect either in love for them or gate of them. I want more to happen to them than just here are bad people and now they are
Lybo Buchanan
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the fifth Book in the Nameless series. These are novellas, revolving around a man who has no memory beyond 2 years ago, does not know his own name, and is clairvoyant. He dishes out justice to those considered above the law, or the law simply cannot reach. He is not a vigilante, since he works under the direction of a group he only knows as the Ace of Diamonds. They are precise in their knowledge of who they're dealing with & what needs to be done & how to do it. Nameless is ...more
Carolyn Injoy
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary Kindle copy of The Mercy of Snakes (Nameless Book 5) by Dean Koontz in an Amazon promotion in exchange for a fair review.

I gave this book five stars because I found it fascinating. It is an ongoing story about "Nameless". I look forward to reading the last book that in this series, Memories of Tomorrow (Nameless Book 6).

Nameless makes a self discovery: "By now, he should not be the least surprised by the capacity of evil people to deceive their credulous frinds and
Tere Fredericks
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There Are Snakes Here. Watch For Them

This one is almost personal to me. I worked at a law firm which defended an angel of mercy. Just finished the case and had it boxed up before I was hired. Pity.

Two very different people join together in their positions at an elder condo area (not assisted living, which is available should the need occur) to help the rich get even richer. It's actually admirably diabolical.

Nameless has plans for these two. On a personal note, I admit to admiring Mr. Koontz's
Pamela Scott
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it

I enjoyed this penultimate Nameless outing, though a fraction less than the other ones. Nameless and his fellow vigilante’s remain little more than question marks. There are more hints that Nameless may be getting his memory back. I wonder if the final story will develop this or will this be left unexplored? With every story, I find myself wondering, are the people Nameless and his cohorts kill truly people who deserved to die or have they been used in
Jordan Anderson
5 stories in and I gotta say, Koontz has grown on me again.

Mercy of Snakes is a great addition to this series. It’s taut and sexy and intriguing. Obviously it’s a little over the top with the 2 antagonists, but Koontz is able to make their crimes and behaviors believable. Their comeuppance is well deserved.

I’m still not 100% back on board the Koontz train, but the Nameless series is dragging me closer and closer to the station.

Just one more left. Let’s see if that’s the final push to get me
Kathy Allard
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Starting to scratch my head over the repetitions throughout this series -- does anyone really think a reader will pick up book 5 or 6 first? Whose decision was it to include this duplicate material? Also if there's going to be a Nameless novel, I'm ready. He accomplishes each mission so easily, without any challenges, that I want more of the cat and mouse game with intelligent adversaries that I thought this series was going to feature.

Still, this was an enjoyable quick read/listen.
Lindsey
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Barbara J. Gore
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good Book

Another short story in the Namless series. I like the hero character. He acts to correct injustice where the innocent have been victimized. The format of the story remains the same. I am anxious to see if more will be revealed about Namless's background. He sees flashes of a ghostly family and is afraid of what they might mean to him. Hope it is disclosed in the next book
Matthew Alan
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun read

A little more backstory and narrative, I guess, than the other ones, this story was all about the journey, not the destination, since by now the reader is probably well aware of what that destination is. The only real question is how, as well as all the various questions the story spanning meta-story presents, as that part appears to be increasing in length and detail and continues to be interesting to make guesses about.
Jean M. Guck
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How did he do that?

Started this book in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep. Don't do that! This book was set in my home town and I could relate to all of the areas mentioned. I kept wondering, "how could he set the novel in each readers hometowns?" Thrilling and captivating throughout the story. How DID you do that, Mr. Koontz?
Lorie
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What else

can one say about this series of books, that hasn't already been said ... they are without question, the most thought provoking novels written. So much is written between the story line, which reflects the thoughts and dreams of a life well questioned and brilliantly answered.
pamela titterington
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
CAuses

This is the first time of reading,an American book ,but I found the idea intreging, so because I am English and living in England, it did feel slightly foreign to me,but the sentiments the same,, it makes you want Such to exist, I really loved all the books,and look forward with pleasure, to reading more of the written word of Mr Deane Koontz, thank you
Thomas L.
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book has no real substance to it. The there is nothing in the story to make a reader want to continue with any other books in the series.characters are not developed well and the entertainment factor is barely existent.

Two stores is probably too generous. Are usually reserve stars for reviews that have meaning. This book is shallow and poorly developed.
Joann Herley
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Deaths in a retirement home would normally go unquestioned, but one resident finds it suspicious. The Ace of Diamonds sends Nameless to see that Justice rises above Evil. A captivating tale allowing evil to weave a web that turns upon on itself. I enjoyed this read, and I can't wait to go back and start with the first book in the series.
Gerry  Fearon
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Intriguing plot and main character, who is rather cold hearted and engenders little empathy other than being an assassin of the guilty.
The writing style is good, pacey and clever with some memorable prose. I liked it and look forward to the emergence of some more positive traits in the main player, who remains somewhat nameless
Lorraine
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW!!! ANOTHER AWESOME READ!!

YEP, ANOTHER NON-STOP READ!!
Nameless is on another mission, given to him by Ace. This mission leads to a Retirement Community, of mostly Wealthy people. The Community, which was built and is now run by a Doctor.
YEP....Off to read Book 6.....
Montzalee Wittmann
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Mercy of Snakes
Nameless, Book 5
By: Dean Koontz
Narrated by: Edoardo Ballerini
Money is more important than life in the nursing home. Nameless comes to settle the score.
Great story! Good narration too!
Karina
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Intense

Book 5 is getting closer to knowing who Nameless really is what he has lost in life. I love that he and Ace help people who have suffered terrible injustices. Wouldn’t it be great if a Nameless really existed?
Joel
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
The penultimate episode in the series feels like it is setting up the finale for something good. Nameless believes the techniques used to give him amnesia may be failing, and he isn't sure he wants to remember what made him make the decision to join Ace of Diamonds' crew.

Dick Dubay
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Exceptional

This series could be read as a stand-alone book, but you would be missing so many good stories. This is another story in which the criminals get what they deserve in interesting ways. I would recommend this series to anyone who enjoys a good story.
robinet1
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beauty is as beauty does

Beauty is as beauty does, in other words, you can be beautiful on the outside, and ugly as sin on the inside and all you are or ever will be is ugly ugly ugly. Such were the doctor and his lover in this story.
Sheryl
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is number 4 in the Nameless series. I didn't much care for this one. It was predictable with no surprises and no interesting characters. The narrator is the same in all of these books and he is very good.
« previous 1 3 next »
Dean Koontz, the author of many #1 New York Times bestsellers, has been acknowledged as "America's most popular suspense novelist" by Rolling Stone. He lives in Southern California with his wife, Gerda, and their golden retriever, Elsa.

• Once Night Falls
  • Play Dirty
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • The Elephant Tree
  • The Zombie Room
  • In the Unlikely Event
  • Dirty Letters
  • Magic Hour
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
  • I Am Pilgrim
  • Watchmen
  • Alexander X (Battle For Forever Book 1)
  • Black Rock Bay
  • Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • All That Escapes (Lone Survivor #3)
  • Even (Ham #2)
  • Ghoster
  • Goodbye My Precious Child (DI Sally Parker #6)

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the