Start by marking “Pretty Things” as Want to Read:

Pretty Things

Two wildly different women--one a grifter, the other an heiress--are brought together by the scam of a lifetime in a page-turner from the New York Times bestselling author of Watch Me Disappear.

Nina once bought into the idea that her fancy liberal arts degree would lead to a fulfilling career. When that dream crashed, she turned to stealing from rich kids in L.
Hardcover
Expected publication: April 21st 2020

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Apr 21, 2020
    Enter for a chance to win one of 100 advance copies of PRETTY THINGS by Janelle Brown, on sale April 21!

Nina thought her fancy liberal art

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 3109 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Nov 01 - Nov 15, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Pretty Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pretty Things

Start your review of Pretty Things
    Jordan
    Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    A great female 2-hander that feels like GRIFTERS meets INGRID GOES WEST. It’s wicked and sharp in a way that reminded me of Riley Sager's THE LAST TIME I LIED with two flawed complex female characters one-upping each other with deceit. I though it was sharp and complicated and deliciously fun. A great story of family and inheritance.
    Melike
    Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    What a fun book and engaging book!!! We have Nina and her boyfriend Lachlan who are grifters, Vanessa the heiress who is an Instagram influencer, and sweet Benny who is Vanessa’s brother all embroiled together in this thriller. I loved every minute of Pretty Things, it was an entertaining page-turner with many twists and turns. Even though I didn't like all the characters, they were real and interesting. The descriptions of Lake Tahoe and Stonehaven were written so well, I felt like I was the on ...more
    Kirsty Hughes
    Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: arc, netgalley
    Special thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free e-ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

3.5/5 stars.

This book is filled with con artists who play other people in order to get what they want. As you can expect, it is fun and entertaining.

There are numerous twists and turns that I almost saw coming each time, but just enough was/wasn't shown to where I didn't think too much into it until the events actually happened, and that pleased me.

I enjoyed the two main cha
    Debbie
    Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Pretty Things by Janelle Brown is one to add to your 2020 TBR list! I was so excited to have a chance to read and review her upcoming novel because I loved Watch Me Disappear whenever I read it a while back. Pretty Things features Nina Ross, a grifter who was raised by her Con Artist mother, Vanessa Liebling, an heiress turned Instagram influencer and Lachlan who is Nina’s partner in crime/boyfriend.

To earn money to pay for her mother’s cancer treatments, Nina and Lachlan move to Lak
    Debbie
    Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Pretty Things by Janelle Brown is one to add to your 2020 TBR list! I was so excited to have a chance to read and review her upcoming novel because I loved Watch Me Disappear whenever I read it a while back. Pretty Things features Nina Ross, a grifter who was raised by her con artist mother, Vanessa Liebling, an heiress turned Instagram influencer and Lachlan who is Nina’s partner in crime/boyfriend.

Lili
    Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This book was given to me by Netgalley in exchange of an honest opinion.

Oh goodness! Pretty Things was so hard to put down. It grabbed my interest from the very beginning. It helped that I have been to Lake Tahoe and knew what the author was explaining.

The book follows two women, Anna and Vanessa. Anna is a con artist and Vanessa is a heiress of old money. Through some life circumstances they find their lives intertwined. Two lives that seem completely different, but come together by the unfai
    Kaisha
    Oct 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    A fun suspenseful novel where nothing terribly gruesome, or horrible happens. A few nice twists and decent pacing. My only real (minor) irritation was the fact that the plot would thicken and then the author would switch character POVs and make you reread a scene from a different POV which drained all the tension from the novel. On the whole, it is a pretty standard middle of the road suspense novel.
    Jen
    Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I liked this book- it was a quick read that I finished in a day. It centers around Nina, a minor con artist, and Vanessa, an unhappy and untethered heiress. The book alternates between their POVs but gives you enough time with each character to empathize with her, though neither character is initially likeable. Vanessa's house, Stonehaven, is a key part of the book and is described in a way where it almost felt like another character in itself, which was very interesting to me.

The story elicite
    Emma Bernard
    Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Nina and Lachlan are a con artist couple, stealing from rich millennials who barely notice missing furniture or antiques. When the cops come knocking for Nina, the two take off for a new victim- Vanessa Liebling, an heiress living in her family's Lake Tahoe mansion. They pose as a humble, well rounded couple, Ashley and Micheal, who simply want to rent the caretaker's cottage for an extended stay. Vanessa, who is no longer to glamorous Insta-famous blogger she once was, craves the human interact ...more
    Jen Chair
    Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
    Interesting premise, average execution. This story follows Nina and Vanessa, one grifter one mark, as Nina tries to pull the “scam of a lifetime” (quote from synopsis - not what I would call it). I really enjoyed the plot but the writing dragged at points. I found myself urging the story along and eventually skimming paragraphs. Nina’s art history degree is referred to time and time again. The reference to the antiquities is meant to show expertise and I guess richness but really it was boring a ...more
    Laurie Harris
    Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This book grabbed my attention from the start. Right away I found myself rooting for Nina, who, along with her boyfriend Lachlan, steals from the rich. Although she was committing crimes, I felt for her, with her, being raised by a single mother who was a con artist. It seemed like nothing ever worked out for her, and she was simply trying to help her sick mother out by stealing enough to cover the medical bills.
    When Nina and Lachlan arrange to stay at a mansion in Lake Placid from Nina's
    Lili
    Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This book was given to me by Netgalley in exchange of an honest opinion.

Lilly Schmaltz
    Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Thanks to NetGalley and Random House Publishing Group for sending me a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

Nina grew up to become her mother. A con artist. Vanessa, an heiress and Instagram influencer, also has slowly morphed into her mother... a troubled woman that is isolated in a mansion. Nina's and Vanessa's paths cross and they are led on a wild journey of deceit and and destruction.

This was definitely a twisting thriller. The entire time I was trying t
    Natalie
    Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Do you want to read an engaging and twisty tale? Willing to postpone bedtime until you finish it? This is the book for you.

What starts as a story of robbery becomes a story of deceit. Lachlan and Nina begin pulling cons but soon move into a giant grift, using Vanessa, disoriented heiress as their mark.
    Loyalties change, alliances shift and soon lies begin to ooze through the book Everyone conning each other, even some who are not suspected.

If I continue enthusing, I am afraid I will give away
    Sherry Chiger
    Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
    This novel has everything you want in an escape read: unexpected (but plausible) plot twists, complex characters, evocative writing, a zippy pace, a satisfying ending. It also avoided one of my pet peeves: The two narrating characters have distinct voices; you would be able to tell which one was narrating even without the chapter headings. I don't want to say too much else for fear of spoilers, but I especially loved how well-limned the relationships between the characters were, and the characte ...more
    Karen Warner
    Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I really enjoyed this book- could not wait to get back to reading it at the end of the day.

Nina was raised by a con women but they move to Lake Tahoe and she is excepted at a private school and does well and expects that her life will be different from her mothers. Her mom gets sick with cancer and she needs to come up with a great deal of money to help pay for her treatment. Nina goes back to what she knows and starts what turns out to be an elaborate con and then the page turning b
    Cindy Bokma
    Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    WOW how to classify this one? Literary suspense at its best. An excellent plot with flawed characters who each have reasons for readers to love/hate them.

This was a long read- but very enjoyable with the pages turning quickly as the tension rose.

I rarely give out five stars but this novel earned every one. Put this on your TBR list immediately!
    Hillary
    Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Very enjoyable, dare I say satisfying? Yes. Bonus points because I barely wanted to murder most of the characters.
    Cory Thomas
    Nov 12, 2019
    Caroline Craig
    rated it it was ok
    Nov 13, 2019

• Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
    • The Secrets He Kept: A suspenseful, gripping psychological thriller with a nail-biting ending
    • The Other Mrs.
    • The Light After the War
    • The Other Wife
    • The Rival
    • Separation Anxiety
    • Buy Yourself the F*cking Lilies: And Other Rituals to Fix Your Life, from Someone Who's Been There
    • The Glittering Hour
    • After the Flood
    • The Whispers of War
    Welcome to my home on Goodreads.

A little about me: I'm the author of the novels PRETTY THINGS, WATCH ME DISAPPEAR, ALL WE EVER WANTED WAS EVERYTHING, THIS IS WHERE WE LIVE. My books have been New York Times bestsellers and published in a dozen countries around the world. My books tend to be page-turners with dysfunctional family relationships at their hearts; while my first two books w