Start by marking “His Bride for the Taking” as Want to Read:

His Bride for the Taking

*This novella was originally published in Rogues Rush In: a Regency Duet (2018), by Tessa Dare and Christi Caldwell

It’s the first rule of friendship among gentlemen: Don’t even think about touching your best friend’s sister.

Published October 1st 2019 by Tessa Dare (first published May 22nd 2018)

To ask other readers questions about His Bride for the Taking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His Bride for the Taking

Start your review of His Bride for the Taking
Tessa Dare
Oct 03, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Hi, Goodreads!

This novella was originally published inRogues Rush In in 2018.
I’ve made it available on its own for anyone who might have missed it!

Two fun facts:

1. Sebastian and Mary are a “best friend’s little sister” pairing except that they’re a “best friend’s slightly-older sister” pairing. She’s got one or two years on him, and he LOVES it.

2. My favorite scene to write involves the true test of any relationship - putting together unassembled furniture. If IKEA has ever brought you to the
Elodie
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Regency Romcom novella
Tessa Dare
Release date 10/01/2019
Publisher: auto published

Blurb :

Sebastian, Lord Byrne, has never been one for rules. He’s thought about touching Mary Clayton—a lot—and struggled to resist temptation. But when Mary’s bridegroom leaves her waiting the altar, only Sebastian can save her from ruin. By
Sharon
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I originally read this in the duo-anthology it was first published in, Rogues Rush In, in 2018. With the rerelease coming as a standalone novella, I did a re-read and yep, it's still just as funny and wonderful. A fast read that contains all of Tessa Dare's trademark humor and great attraction and sexy times between friends to lovers who have always had a thing for each other. I loved it!

I received an e-ARC of the standalone from the publisher. I own the original duo-anthology by Tessa Dare and
Timitra
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rated 4.5 stars

His Bride For The Taking was sweet and sexy. I loved the banter between the main characters and the fact that the hero was grumpy and the heroine was sassy and gave as good as she got. I highly recommend to those in the mood for a quick, sweet and light read.

Copy provided by author
Brandy
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this!!! Normally I have a hard time reading novellas but this one sucked me right in. My only complaint is I wanted more!!
Kat
I'm very much not here for last minute drama centring around a character lying and being manipulative only for their behaviour to be effortlessly forgiven ...more
Shelee at Book Reader Chronicles
His Bride for the Taking was a sweetly romantic love story between a woman and her brother's best friend after she's left at the altar. This bite-sized tale had just the right amount of character development, relationship growth, and humor among the expected sensuality that I have come to crave from this author. If you're looking for a fun and sweet novella, look no further than this one.

**Received a copy via the author; this had no bearing on my opinions**
Heather Halloran
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book as part of the rogues rush in...so happy to have it as a stand alone novella. A lovely story with lots of romance and wit ...more
Catherine Stein
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I adore this little novella. It's sweet, heartfelt, sexy, and has Tessa's signature humor throughout. A great one-sitting read.
Em__Jay
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
HIS BRIDE FOR THE TAKING by Tessa Dare is a fast-paced and fun-filled novella featuring a determined heroine and a slightly damaged hero in need of some serious TLC.

Sebastian Ives steps in to marry Mary Clayton when she finds herself jilted at the altar. He’s loved her for a long time and while he thinks himself unworthy of her, Sebastian decides marriage to him is better than Mary enduring potential ruination. So, it’s a quick trip to Canterbury to procure a special license and get married
Ami
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
My last several novellas/short stories in the past week have been so-so if not down right MEH. So when I picked this one up (hoping that it would be good) and it charmed me from the get go, I was pleased. Yes, Tessa Dare has delivered another delightful story.

First of all, best friend's sister trope, but OLDER sister!! Yes, Mary is two years older than Sebastian. It made my heart expanded with warmth. It's great to read about older women and younger men (albeit only 2-years apart) and I think
Sora
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school-year-2019
This sweet, romantic book is a quick read and only a few pages. The story is part of a larger book, but Kindle was having a sale on just this excerpt. It is a story about love lost (brother’s best friend refuses to give in to true feelings and goes to war) and then later found (brother dies so his best friend decides to marry the sister because he wants to take care of her as that is the noble thing to do - and he secretly has always loved her all these years). It has a realistic-like quality ...more
tysephine
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, fiction
I thought this was new to me, but a couple pages in it seemed awfully familiar. Checked goodreads and yep, I read it in an anthology. I reread it anyway because I'm a sucker for that "I've been secretly in love with you my entire life" storyline.
Absolutelyred
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is a hot mess from beginning to end. Ridiculous premise, unreal behaviours, unpleasant main characters.Not exactly the usual from Tessa Dare.
Tess
Dec 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-f-romances
Roberta
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very entertaining and amusing romance. I can’t say too much without spoilers, but it was excellent fun and I recommend it.

I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Christina
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
My new Kindle came with a $5 credit, and I decided to use it on this and another of Tessa Dare’s romance novellas. I generally only read eBooks when the print isn’t available when I want to read something, and I couldn’t see myself buying a print addition of such a short romance.

It’s a challenge to write a complete romance in short format, and Dare manages better than most thanks to her skill at writing light and engaging historical with likable characters. There were elements that worked here
Mella
It was easy enough to read but was pretty weak. Which to be fair, is about what you'd expect from a novella.Then about 70% through it totally flipped and just became flat out weird. The plot completely fell apart. (view spoiler) The main characters are mere caricatures of actual people. They had no depth. I did like the ...more
Judy
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tessa Dare has developed a reputation for presenting her romantic leads with interesting and amusing challenges. In this novella the challenge is one familiar to most of her readers in their real lives, and one that is almost guaranteed to strike fear into the hearts of the bravest - the assembly of Swedish flat packed furniture!
How can such a devilish device be available to a Regency couple? This story is well worth reading to find out. Ms Dare packs a lot of back story for her couple into a
Anna Muir
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Y'all, I love Tessa Dare's books like my cat loves kibble. And yet, I somehow missed this gem. Seriously, this novella somehow flew past my radar. But it popped up on Facebook and I got to enjoy it now.

And, oh, I did enjoy it. Get you some chocolate and tea and curl up with a blanket, because this is a cozy book. Sure, it takes place in June in a seaside cottage (with some nice descriptions of the sea), but it's a cozy book all the same. Mary and Sebastian will make you feel all warm and fuzzy
Amy
3.75 Stars. Alot of fun in just a short while - Tessa Dare delivers, even in novella format. Sebastian saves Mary from scandal when she's jilted at the altar... the only issue being that he's loved her for years and doesn't want to push her too quickly to consumate their vows. Mary's got other plans, though. And clear thoughts on furniture assembly. A happy bit of fluff enjoyed on the ride home..
Connor
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Look, there are many things I can say about this--childhood friends to lovers, etc--but frankly, this novella was exactly what I've been looking for in everything I've tried reading this past month, so that alone would give it 5/5 in my book. Light-hearted and delightful, gruff hero with a heart of gold, brainy and determined heroine, a cottage by the seaside, half-masked jokes about IKEA?

Sign me up.
BJ
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loved-it
Sweet, fast paced novella with older h, who has loved the H for 11 years! And that's one of the reasons it's 4 stars, I didn't quite believe he loved her, especially as she had to trick him to marry her. I'm not fond of 'trickery', but I did like the book. The characters are so well developed in such a short time, and it was great fun. I really liked the 'nod' to Ikea, very good.
Lise Nanette
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Delightful!!

I just love the way Tessa Dare writes! Her characters are always so much fun, dialogue is witty and misunderstandings are talked out rather than allowed to ferment into really painful feelings. This little novella is no exception, and if the author is Tessa Dare, then I'm rradong!
Ria
Dec 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, historical
A short and sweet novella from one of my favourite historical authors. The shortness of it all kind of ripped away any major tension or drama, but I must admit I didn't see the revelation at the end coming. And I do adore an epilogue.
Marianne
His Bride for the Taking was in the two to three star range until the "reveal" in the last chapter pushed it into the three star range. It was a logical but also very nicely done twist. I also liked the dinner and the Ikea scene too.
Riley Reads Romance
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-e-book
3.5 rounded up to 4. Tessa Dare writes a novella better than anyone. This wasn't my favorite novella of hers, but still better than 99% of the novellas out there in my opinion
Cute, quick, and delivering that incredible TD humor
MELISSA
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quick and charming

Sebastian and Mary have been friends since childhood. Sebastian saves her from ruination by marrying her. Now what? Discover another darling HEA from Tessa Dare.
Heather
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This charming novella is pure Tessa Dare fun. The story is very low drama, high comedy, feel good entertainment.
There is one scene in particular that will resonate with anyone who has tried to do a home improvement project with their significant other without resorting to bloodshed!
Laurie Sand
Dec 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Short and sweet

Nothing too deep or angsty going on here, a sort of amuse-bouche of romance. I will say that Sebastian forgave Mary remarkably quickly.

• His Duchess For A Day (The Heart of a Scandal #4)
  • At His Countess' Pleasure
  • One Bed for Christmas (Baldwin Village, #0.5)
  • The Beast of Beswick (Everleigh Sisters, #1)
  • My Fake Rake (Union of the Rakes, #1)
  • Color Me Bad
  • Love and Other Perils: A Regency Novella Duet
  • A Beastly Kind of Earl (Longhope Abbey, #2)
  • A Match Made for Thanksgiving (Holidays with the Wongs, #1)
  • The One for You (The Ones Who Got Away, #4)
  • The Business of Blood (The Business of Blood, #1)
  • A Second Chance Road Trip for Christmas (Holidays with the Wongs, #2)
  • True Colors (Elder Races, #3.5)
  • Darkness at Dawn
  • A Treacherous Performance (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #5)
  • Tikka Chance on Me
  • A Wicked Kind of Husband (Longhope Abbey, #1)
  • Xeni (Loose Ends #2)
Sign up for Tessa's newsletter and be the first to hear about new books and hot deals! http://tessadare.com/newsletter-signup/

Tessa Dare is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of fourteen historical romance novels and five novellas. Her books have won numerous accolades, including Romance Writers of America’s prestigious RITA award (twice!) and the RT Book Reviews Seal of