Start by marking “Scavenger Hunt” as Want to Read:
Scavenger Hunt

Scavenger Hunt

“I already know all your names. As for me... you can call me Mr. Do-Good.”

Five strangers have woken up in a white room. A room with no doors, no windows.

A room with no hope.

Because these strangers have been kidnapped, drugged... and brought here as the newest contestants in the world’s most high-stakes scavenger hunt. Run by a madman named Mr. Do-Good, the gam
Published October 31st 2019 by Written Insomnia Press

To ask other readers questions about Scavenger Hunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scavenger Hunt

Start your review of Scavenger Hunt
Sherry Fundin
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
As soon as I saw the cover, I knew I had to read Scavenger Hunt by Michaelbrent Collings. Why I haven’t read any of his work before, I can’t say, but I am glad HE found ME and offered me an ARC.

At first, I was confused and thinking, uh oh, is this one of those books I am going to struggle through. Well, I didn’t have long to wait to find out that I was too quick to judge.

THEN: The bottom dropped out of five lives as they are thrust into a deadly game of Scavenger Hunt and
Kimberly
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
SCAVENGER HUNT is the latest horror novel from author Michaelbrent Collings. I found this to be a great, complex story with many separate threads that eventually collide.

". . . A great many things should be. Few . . . ever are . . ."

After a brief prologue, we are brought into a room with five distinct characters. Each of these is an enigma to the reader; the only thing visibly in common is the "SAW-like" setting they find themselves in. Instead of Jigsaw, we have "Mr. Do-Good"--a smiley face masked/>
Laura Thomas
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, thriller
I’m assuming you read the synopsis. Found it familiar. Was maybe thinking, been there, read that. A mysterious figure somehow kidnaps a groups of strangers. They wake up in a room with no idea where they are or what happened. Then the man behind the smiley mask tells them they must play a game. They play, or die. They follow the rules, or die. And they have to stay together. Let the scavenger hunt begin.

One of the things that made this plot stand out was the character’s stories. Why
Minx
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Scavenger Hunt is the latest horror offering from Author Michaelbrent Collings and if any of you are fans of stories that keep you guessing, then this little gem will absolutely appeal to you. This is a fast-paced story that amps up the action and tension with each chapter! The opening begins with five strangers who wake up in a room with no knowledge of how they came to be there. It quickly becomes clear that escape is not a likely outcome for them and mistrust between the characters is rampant ...more
 Martin
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one. Not a horror novel per se but it has a lot a chilling moments to render it as such. When five people find themselves trapped in a bunker-like dwelling it's up to them to work as a team if they want to survive the sordid scavenger hunt planned for them. Like in all of Collings novels the story as the characters is well-developed. Though the first few pages seem a bit unclear you do get to grasp the situation as you move along. However, it hardly matters since everything ...more
Deb
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very enjoyable thriller with a nod toward Saw. Great character development. This was not a "horror" story in that it didn't have a paranormal storyline. It was definitely a suspense/thriller book . It kept me guessing until the end, when the "reveal" came! I was surprised at the twist! I would highly recommend this book!

Thanks to the author for a digital ARC!
Colin Garrow
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Five people wake up in a strange white room. Each has an electronic collar attached to his or her neck and a wristband that issues instructions from the mysterious Mr. Do-Good. The ‘contestants’ are told they are to play a game, but the stakes in this adventure are high – make a mistake and your head might explode.

This is the second book I’ve read by Michaelbrent Collings. While it appears completely different in style and tone to the first one (Predators), the writing tells a story that is jus
Charlotte
Wow.

Michaelbrent Collings has yet to disappoint me. From the first book of his I took a chance with to this one, I have been entertained, amused, saddend, terrified, horrified and, I'll say it again, entertained.

As far as the book, "Scavenger Hunt", I was hooked in immediately, drawn in by the carefully woven tales of a chaos full of heartbreak, pain, confusion and terror. All at once. Death brough rise to a group of five people brought to some strange place of hospital beds and man
Conni Guffey
I thought I had it all figured out...
And I did have the Who, but I didn’t have the Why.
For me, the story started out a little slow...but once it picked up momentum, it was like a runaway train.

Five people. From completely different walks of life. Unknown to each other. Waking up in a white room with necklaces of high explosives around their necks. (Sounds like my current employment...but I digress.)
Complete the Scavenger Hunt, walk away. Fail to follow through...wel
Sam Reeves
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not that any of Michaelbrent Collings’ novels are timid, but this journey reads as the rawest and grittiest I have seen from him. I think this might mark a change for MbC, a new level of maturity in his work.

Scavenger Hunt tells us of five diverse and unique characters forced into a deadly game similar to Saw or perhaps a nightmarish version of The Amazing Race. Abducted—an event they only vaguely remember—the group wakes in a metal room with no indication of where or when it is. A myster
Flanagan
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The cover gives all the warning a person needs: this is a twisted tale of folks forced to work together doing some very nasty things–and some very good things—both against their strongest desires

“Who”, you might wonder, “would do a good thing against their strongest desire?” Huh! Michaelbrent Collings knows just such a person (I dearly hope that doesn't sound like a kinda, "The noble Brutus hath told you'" stab-in-the-back opening )—and he can explain why the good deed is so objectionable, whi
Billie
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"I already know all your names. As for me... you can call me Mr. Do-Good."
***
Five strangers have woken up in a white room.
Apparently chosen at random, they have been kidnapped, drugged... and chosen to play the world’s most high-stakes scavenger hunt.
Run by Mr. Do-Good, a madman who ides his identity behind a bloodstained smily-face mask, the contestants are given a series of deadly tasks to complete.
All they have to do to survive is...
... complete every task.
MaryJude Schmitz
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All I can say about this book is, wow! I downloaded this book to my kindle yesterday and finished it today (I wanted to stay up all night to finish yesterday but I did need to sleep). This riveting book grabbed me immediately and I needed to to know how the story ended. It begins with five strangers who wake up in a white room with collars around their necks and smartwatches on their wrists. And then the scavenger hunt begins. I loved the characters and the mystery of what was happening as the s ...more
Eric
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
If Saw and 24 had a baby...
Scavenger hunt is a fun ride. Twists, turns, psychopaths and gangsters. And the scariest thing about this book? It deals with some true-life horror.
I am a longtime fan of Michaelbrent Collings' work. One of the things I love most about his writing is how he's able to make you invest in and empathize with his characters, often even the really bad guys! Scavenger Hunt is no different. You are dropped into the action with a handful of characters who seem prett
Mort
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story was heavily influenced by the movie SAW - it is a good thing, in case you are wondering - but the scope is much bigger.

Five strangers wake up in a room and...well, the rest is in the blurb.
Bottom line: Survive the night.

Overall it was good, but there was a thing or two that bothered me a bit.

The author lost me in the beginning. Yes, he brings everything together at the end, but in the first, what - 15 pages??- I had no idea where he was going.
Lisa
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a great book! Imagine waking up in a white room with people you don’t know. Then imagine you have to play a game, a scavenger hunt to be exact. You have an exploding collar around your neck, a “watch” communicating instructions and clues given one at a time. And oh if you separate or fail to get to the next point, BOOM. Oh and by the way. No cars, police or telling anyone.

Scavenger hunt was a bloody, wild ride with a big twist at the end and I highly recommend it.

Shelley Butchart
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Darkbound was my favourite Michaelbrent Collings book, until this one. It is so well written, planned, researched and the scare factor is exceptionally high. I enjoyed it so much, I did not want it to end. But it did and WOW what an ending.

The depth of character development in this is extraordinary. You feel their pains, delve deeper into their minds and try to predict where their paths will take them. Of course, you are wrong.

Scavenger Hunt is gruesome, clever and fright
Julie Castle-Smith
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is phenomenal! The pace is perfect, the characters unique, fleshed-out, and interesting, and the story terrific! Original and kept me well entertained and guessing, right up till the end. This has to be one of my all-time favorites from Michaelbrent Collings and definitely one of his best!
Trevor
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an entertaining thriller with a moral (in a twisted way). It is a revenge tale with surprising turns. It starts out deliberately confusing, but as it progresses the pieces gradually fit into place. And there is enough there that when it's over it calls you back to look at the story again with more understanding eyes.
Kim Ramirez
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Scavenger Hunt by Michaelbrent Collings is RIVITING! If you enjoy being terrified, creeped-out, and pushed to the very edge of your seat, MbC has you covered. Scavenger Hunt is cunning, shrewd and just plain ol’ scary! An absolute page turner. If you think you know what’s-up…yikes, wrong! 5 wonderfully disturbing stars!!!
Anne
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve read several books by this author and felt that this one was one of the best so far. At first I thought it might be a bit too close to some horror movies, but the way it all tied together in the end was really on. I guessed a lot of it before I got there but there were still surprises and it all wrapped up in a way I found truly great!
karin whitehead
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this book through another author's promotion in exchange of an honest review. I love thrillers! I enjoy a good story line. I enjoy finding the clues to discover the ending. I adore likeable/ hated, and crazy characters! This book fit the bill! Mesmerizing me from the beginning, and to the end. A talented author that kept me from a night of sleep. A great Halloween story!
Michelle
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Page Turner! A must read. This story will keep you on the edge of your seat! As always, another excellent book by Michaelbrent Collings! If you haven't read any of his books yet, I highly recommend that you do!
Heather Escobedo
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A group of strangers wake up together wearing shock collars in an unfamiliar room. It just gets weirder from there. Scavenger Hunt is a thrilling, terrifying story. This book had me up late. I couldn’t quit reading it! There are horrifying twists and turns. I would love to see it made into a movie!
DeAnna
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.
And HONESTLY I loved it. 4.5/5 stars
MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD
I'm totally down for the "random strangers that turn out to not be strangers" trope. I believe that when it is done well it is fantastic, and this was very well done. I love seeing the threads that tie people together, especially when there is a puppet-master holding those threads.
Overall I really enjoyed the book. The one thing I didn't care for was the occasion
Bonnie Coponen
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a great story! MBC takes your hand and walks you through each character’s background so you are completely engaged whether they are the “good guys” or “bad guys”. I couldn’t wait to find out what happens at the end and didn’t see it coming. One of my favorite authors.
Nicole Canale
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by MBC.
What do you do when you wake up in a room with a group of strangers and don't know how you got there?
Interesting characters, excellent story. Definitely worth the read.
Tracy Jeffreys
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mystery? Thriller? Suspense? All three. Well written! The FBI jargon threw me off a little bit. Possible movie? I definately think so!
Victoria
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

I really hope a sequel happens with this one. The reasons for the scavenger hunt, the way they were all tied in, was done beautifully.
connie longo
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book.

This book was so good! I read it in one sitting. I definitely will be reading the rest of Mr. Collings' books.

• Slash
  • The Hungry Ones (The Messy Man #2)
  • The Nightmare Room (The Messy Man, #1)
  • Deserve To Die
  • Into the Abyss: A Violet Darger Novella
  • Teeth in the Mist
  • Those Who Came Before
  • Hearthstone Cottage
  • Ritual
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • Fighting Irish (The Summerhaven Trio, #1)
  • The Handyman
  • Siege and Sacrifice (Numina #3)
  • The Casino Switcheroo (The Travelers Book 7)
  • The Last Days (Peeps, #2)
  • Extras (Uglies, #4)
  • Peeps (Peeps, #1)
  • Mass Hysteria
Michaelbrent Collings is an internationally-bestselling novelist, multiple Bram Stoker Award nominee, produced screenwriter, and one of the top indie horror writers in the United States.

He hopes someday to develop superpowers, or, if that is out of the question, then at least to get a cool robot arm.

Michaelbrent has a wife and several kids, all of whom are much better looki