Start by marking “Blood Tally (Valkyrie Collections, #2)” as Want to Read:
Blood Tally (Valkyrie Collections, #2)

Blood Tally

(Valkyrie Collections #2)

Alek Fitz is the lead reaper for Valkyrie Collections, an agency that gathers debts for the paranormal elements of the world. Bound into modern-day slavery by a contract he cannot break, sold by parents he never knew, Alek works alongside demons, spirits, witches, and even Death himself to collect on deals made with humanity.

When Alek is forced to take a job from a local
ebook
Expected publication: February 11th 2020 by Brian McClellan

To ask other readers questions about Blood Tally, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Tally

Start your review of Blood Tally (Valkyrie Collections, #2)
Jon Adams
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I liked the first book. I loved this one.
Khai Jian (KJ)
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a digital ARC copy of Blood Tally (Book 2 of the Valkyrie Collections) from Brian McClellan before the release date of the book (which I think is on 11.02.2020) in exchange for an honest review.

I'm so happy that Brian decided to continue with this series! Its so good to follow once again the adventures of Alek Fitz, the reaper (a collection agent who works for the paranormal elements of the world) and his best friend Maggie, a djinn (who is trapped in a ring by a powerful sorcerer,
Becky
I enjoyed this second book a bit more than the first, mostly because the world opens up with the addition of a few more (absolutely wonderful, omg) characters and increasing the stakes by adding vampires to the mix. I look forward to seeing where the series goes in Book 3. A few things still give me pause, but not so bad as to detract from a fun, fast-paced read.

Smoke
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book has made me question every 5 star rating I've given in the past. Sometimes you read so many decent books that a pretty good book seems like a 5 star book. Then you read something like Blood Tally and you realize what a 5 star book should actually be. This book, and this series is honestly one of the best things you can read. It is not only a great urban fantasy, but just a damn good book in every way possible.

Normally I am not a fan of shorter books, (6 hours in audio) but the
Anurag Sahay
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Before I begin talking about the contents of the book: I liked the first novella in this series enough to back this one on Kickstarter, so my name should be in the back of some editions of this book. That's kind of nifty, isn't it?

I really liked this book. McClellan had set up a very Dresden-lite atmosphere, with a private investigator type individual living in the Midwest of the US, consorting with spirits of the mind which are more powerful than one would think, and under some form of
Peter
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brian McClellan's urban fantasy follow-up is super solid.

It's got a good main story line that stays a step ahead of you as you read, good action/fight scenes, and interesting new characters. Olivia and Eddie are nice additions to round out the little group, and I hope we see a bit more of both.

I'm really enjoying the world and stories Brian has created here. I'm not super well-read for other urban fantasy series (I've read some Dresden, and one or two Iron Druid books), but I think the
Paul
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have to tell you that I am more guilty than most when it comes to continuing on to sequels… I’m a dog distracted by a shinny new first-of-series squirrel. But when I read Uncanny Collateral I knew that I wanted to follow this character. He’s got a voice that’s a bit curmudgeonly, a bit sarcastic, a bit badass, and under it all, he’s a little bit of a softie. And Maggie’s skills of perception give him that edge in the midst of all the nefarious hellions Alek meets up with. They can be crass and ...more
Connor Ludovissy
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another very strong showing from Brian McClellan.

I just finished "Blood Tally" in a single sitting. That is both a testament to McClellan's excellent pacing and to how short of a novel this is. It's all killer, no filler, etc, but I do wish I had more of it.

The plot is tight and fun, incorporating traditional fantasy tropes and mashing them up with modern conventions (the plot involves a supernatural MLM scheme that sounds awfully familiar). It's also surprisingly funny, and made me laugh out
Derek Jordan
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A nice continuation of this series. I feel that the ante was upped and a new character or two brought themselves into my heart. Still very reminiscent of Dresden files, and it can be hard not to expect Harry to pop up around the corner ready to help Alek out. I still say this has its own flair, but my enjoyment of Jim Butcher's series is certainly helping my enjoyment of this one along. This is such a different feel from Brian's Powder Mage series, which make sense as the magic is different and ...more
Andre
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Since I highly enjoyed McClellan's "Gunpowder Mage"-series, I backed his urban fantasy-stories of the Valkyrie Collections and I really enjoyed them so far.
It's not the reinvention of the wheel, mind you, but it is above-solid storytelling with an interesting setting and I really like the characters. This second installment explains the world and the characters a little better, gives additional tidbits and thus makes it more realistic and enjoyable.
The only complaint I really have is that it's
Kayla (krakentoagoodbook)
I read an early version of Blood Tally courtesy of the author - thank you! All opinions are my own.

Blood Tally continues many of the storylines introduced in Uncanny Collateral. In Blood Tally, a vampire thrall steals the blood tally (basically a book of contracts of a master vampire about the thralls) and Alek is hired to find him. We have more development of the world and more fun creatures, including a sphinx!

I thought that Blood Tally was even better than Uncanny Collateral, so I'm super
Sontaranpr
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Our favourite supernatural Other related debt collector is back and the universe he resides in gets little more crazy. We have witches, vampires (bastards one and all), and Eddie whom you'll have to read the book to get to know as some spoilers are too much. A whole lot of fun with plenty of laughs along the way.
Alan Warenski
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Continues to be a fun series. Enjoying the characters, the action, the random references (the witch was listening to Sabaton, so I automatically like her). It's a cool world he's set up here, and I'm excited for what's next!
Eric Fritz
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun urban fantasy read. It's like a less sexist Dresden Files with a smarter protagonist.
Dominic Munro
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent follow up from the first in the series, a good pace and really interesting characters - similar to the Dresden Files but each are brilliant in their own way. Can’t wait for the next one!
Jack
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG! If you liked Uncanny Collateral then be sure to follow it up with Blood Tally! If this is the way this series is going to continue then we are in for a treat!
Pier-Luc
Dec 10, 2019
Aaron Jones
Nov 27, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dispel Illusion (Impossible Times, #3)
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • Made Things
  • Age of Death (The Legends of the First Empire, #5)
  • White Sand, Volume 3 (White Sand, #3)
  • Limited Wish (Impossible Times, #2)
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer, #5)
  • Vigilance
  • The Light of All That Falls (The Licanius Trilogy, #3)
  • Crownbreaker (Spellslinger, #6)
  • Pile of Bones (The Legends of the First Empire #0.5)
  • Sass & Sorcery (Rat Queens, #1)
  • First Dangle and Other Stories
  • The True Bastards (The Lot Lands, #2)
  • The Game
  • The Starless Sea
  • The Lights Go Out in Lychford (Lychford, #4)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
Brian McClellan is an American epic fantasy author from Cleveland, Ohio. He is known for his acclaimed Powder Mage Universe and essays on the life and business of being a writer.

Brian now lives on the side of a mountain in Utah with his wife, Michele, where he writes books and nurses a crippling video game addiction.

Brian's novels include the Powder Mage Trilogy (Promise of Blood, The Crimson

Valkyrie Collections (2 books)
  • Uncanny Collateral (Valkyrie Collections, #1)