Start by marking “The Company of Birds” as Want to Read:
The Company of Birds

The Company of Birds

Sometimes a hero must burn all she holds dear.

Unrest brews in the city-state of Uitenbach, but its magi continue their work, even though the world outside the hallowed grounds of their academy seems to be tearing itself to pieces.

Newly divorced and still smarting from her philandering ex-husband’s rejection, Maga Liese ten Haven doesn’t want to draw
Paperback, First, 368 pages
Published October 2019 by Immanion Press

To ask other readers questions about The Company of Birds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Company of Birds

Suzanne Rooyen
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow, it's been a while since I've read an epic fantasy novel and this was a great book to break back into the genre.

I absolutely loved that this book draws inspiration from South Africa and South African culture. Readers familiar with the country will enjoy nods to the nature, cuisine, and languages.

The author has created a novel rich with world-building. For me, the intricate world-building was one of the best features of the book but also one of its drawbacks. Because r
Barry Gill
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Simple. (I received an advance copy in return for an honest review).

I am a typical high/epic fantasy fan with the like of David Eddings, JRR Tolkein, Raymond E Feist, Anthony Ryan, Peter V Brett etc being my stable fare - you get the picture.

The Company of Birds is not my standard fare, or is it?

This is a well-crafted tale set in a very real world that is rife with racism, elitism and sexism.

The protagonist is a flawed, timid and awkward he
Nerine Dorman
Oct 01, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Can't rate my own book, but hells, you can.
Mihir
Jack Reinsel
Oct 11, 2019
Patti
Oct 21, 2019
Nerine Dorman is a South African author and editor of SF and fantasy currently residing in Cape Town. Her YA fantasy novel Dragon Forged was a finalist in the 2017 Sanlam Youth Literature Prize, with her SF novel Sing Down the Stars a finalist for the 2019 prize in the English category. Her short story, “On the Other Side of the Sea”, was shortlisted for a 2018 Nommo award. The Firebird, a fantasy ...more