Start by marking “When Life Gives You Lemons” as Want to Read:
When Life Gives You Lemons

When Life Gives You Lemons

The hilarious, heartwarming Sunday Times bestseller is back! Available to pre-order now

Sometimes life can be bittersweet . . .

Between tending to the whims of her seven-year-old and the demands of her boss, Viv barely gets a moment to herself. It’s not quite the life she wanted, but she hasn’t run screaming for the hills yet.

But then Viv’s husband Andy makes his mid-life
Expected publication: March 5th 2020 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about When Life Gives You Lemons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Life Gives You Lemons

Start your review of When Life Gives You Lemons
Jannelies
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I do not often read a Fiona Gibson book, but when I do I always want to read more of her. The best part of this one is the characterization. Viv looks like someone I could be friends with, while her husband is not so much creepy as plain stupid. Stupid to leave Viv and throw away the best thing in life he had. I also liked Rose, Viv's boss, because she is hard working and deep down a very nice woman - although she is good in hiding it. And Izzy! An adorable seven-year old if there ever was one. ...more
Antonella
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, women-fiction
When life gives you lemons, make sure to have friends who will bring you gin or vodka...whatever works!

This was my first read by this author. Even though I have heard about her woman fiction books before.
When Life Gives You Lemons is a story about 52-year-old Viv and her life before and after divorce. We learn what she goes through and with what she struggles daily, what happened that led to the break-up, how she is handling it and her children. The book is told through her perspective but we
Laura ☾
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
*Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review *

Viv is menopausal, with a son in his 20s, and a daughter who is 7. When she finds out husband is cheating on her, her life is turned upside down.

To be honest this wasn’t really that gripping to me. Most of the action seemed quite trivial, and especially the parts about her work life seemed rather dull. Maybe I’m just not the right target group for this, but I didn’t really enjoy it at all.
Storme
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
I’m over the life starts for older women when they have a philandering husband. So over that trope. Hate it. So much. I’m not a fan. Viv is like oh my god my life is over. She’s got two kids. Of course trying to work it out with the husband fails. Like why would anyone go back to a cheater? Pass. Also, the second half of the book where she has this new life was so weird and impossible to believe. Didn’t love this book at all.
Vikkie
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is absolutely hilarious and extremely uplifting.I haven't been able to put this one down and adore the plot, the characters and the author.This is such a cute little book and I have found myself laughing out loud on a number of occasions. This is a great read which you don't have to put any concentration into. As a reader, you can just sit and enjoy the story unfolding.This is not my first read by this author, I definitely couldn't wait to get stuck into it though. The writer makes it easy ...more
Chasidy Kaye Jones
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Thanks to Netgalley and Avon Book, UK for the ARC in exchange of an honest review.
Cute little book. I got a few chuckles out of it from time to time. I liked that Viv found herself again when her husband left her. Sometimes something we think we can not get over ends up being the best thing that could possibly happen.
A good book about starting over.
Pauline
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When Life Gives You Lemons, is set out in four parts, Before, After, Moving On and The Show.

Meet Viv, Viv's 52, married to Andy, they have two children, Spencer whose now grown and fled the family home and finally Izzy who's seven, their daughter.

Viv is going through the menopause with a very unsympathetic husband, although Andy works in a hospital. And it appears Andy is having a midlife crisis, a little attention from a colleague, taken too far.

Viv, finds messages on Andy's phone from
Chantiece Bates
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was given this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
When I started reading this book I was full of hope, I enjoy Fiona Gibson's other books and own many of them. However, this book for me - while good - just did not sit right. Usually I can get through it in a sitting or two because I'm so engrossed but this one just fell a little bit short for me. I didn't really like the main character and found her a bit irritating and found some parts of the story didn't really flow, for
Samantha Griffiths
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Viv is 52 when she finds out her husband of 25 years is having an affair. She loves her children (a grown-up son and 7-year old daughter) but her life hasn't turned out exactly how she imagined; suddenly single and working a mundane job, while dealing with symptoms of the menopause. But now seems like the perfect time to put herself first and do something about it. Especially when the opportunity arises to help organise a 70s fashion show at a local museum, with the help of her friend Penny's ...more
Kristel
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
*Arc given by Netgalley*

Cute. Maybe a bit slow the first half, but it was pretty sweet after that. I liked Viv, and her friends, her daughter and her cooking show, the evil kid neighbour. A nice story about getting yourself up again, stronger.

I don't usually read books with mc a lot older than me. It's about not relating a lot to them, maybe it's just because I really hadn't given these books a chance. I know I'm not going through menopause and I don't have kids, but it was nice seeing this
Susanne Baker
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Absolutely brilliant! Uplifting and inspiring, following the amazing Viv dealing with the many Lemons life has suddenly thrown at her, it was so entertaining and enthralling to follow her attempts at a new life follow her marriage breakdown.
Some fantastic characters, I loved the bond between Penny and Viv, so refreshing to have an older view, especially one as outspoken and funny as Penny!
A thoughtful story, some difficult and emotional moments, dealt with in such a considerate and honest way.
Roberta
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book didn’t match up well to my tastes. From the cover and description, I was expecting a lighter story. The elements I expected were there, but there wasn’t the humour and character progress I was looking for.

The first 55% seemed to be all the bad stuff, which for me is a little too long. The recovery then took the rest of the book, and there was no romance at all. I was disappointed.

However, the book is well written, and not riddled with mistakes. Some interesting things happen, it just
Maria Flaherty
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Krystal
Viv is a 52 year old menopausal mother of two (the author made fair weather about the menopause). She has a 20 year old son and a 7 year old daughter. When her successful husband has an affair and her unfulfilling job takes a turn for the worse she is thrust into the world to find herself, all the while trying to maintain stability for her daughter.

It was a bit of a slow burn for me. The reinvention took too long to start as did the romance. It was also deeper and longer than I expected from the
Sally Tyrer
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have always loved fiona gibson’s books so was really looking forward to this read!
Viv is a middle aged menopausal wife of Andy and mother of two children Spencer and Izzy stuck in a mundane job when her world implodes!
Andy has been having an affair as viv discovers one day whilst using his phone, what follows is a voyage of discovery for viv as she gradually comes to terms with her marriage break up but more importantly reconnects with who she used to be becoming a woman on a mission with a
Kim Melbourne
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Viv is wife to Andy, a doctor, and mum to 7 year old Izzy and Spencer who has moved out.
As well as the challenges of tackling the menopause, Viv is suddenly confronted with the fact that her husband is having an affair. Her job is mundane and the neighbours son a nightmare!!
However life takes a turn when her friend Penny's son returns from abroad, as well as the opportunity to undertake a project to not only help the local museum but also an attempt to celebrate penny's career.
A real feel good
Sara Oxton
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When Life Gives You Lemons by Fiona Gibson a five-star read that will make you snort your Lemondrop, as you will be laughing so hard. You will laugh so hard you will either cry, or if you are on the older side you may leak in other ways!! It shows us how good Fiona Gibson is at writing characters you will adore and want to help pick the pieces up, this is one of those stories you will identify with someone in some small way. This isn’t my favourite Fiona Gibson story, but it is a very good one. ...more
Tymonee
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it
This book actually surprised me. With the main character, Viv, in her 50s and going through menopause, I was unsure how I was going to relate to her. But as it turns out, it was relatively easy to relate to most of her circumstances. She’s a mother of two who just discovered that her husband has been cheating on her for a few months, and has a subpar job. I enjoyed seeing Viv’s character grow to be stronger and more confident woman. This book was a light read.
Bethan
Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I wanted to really enjoy this book and for the main part I did, I couldn’t help but get frustrated with the main character, Viv. I felt that she let herself be treated in an unfortunate way and at times, I found her a bit irritating. This meant that I sometimes found it hard to identify with her as a character. The story, however, was well written and engaging.
Thank you to Avon Books UK through NetGalley for the ARC of this book.
Julia
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Viv's 52, in the midst of menopause, mother of two (20ish and 7 y/.o), working as a PA in a pellet factory, when she finds out that her husband has an affair. They try to save their marriage but eventually he leaves her. Now Viv has to pick up the shards of her life. She does so quite well, but the story presentation is dull and convoluted. I skim-read the second half of the ARC.

Also, why does every story of self-discovery of middle-aged women have to start with a cheating husband?
Readinginscrubs
Dec 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you NetGalley and HarperCollins for the eARC.

This was my first Fiona Gibson book and I am in love with the way she writes. Her characters and stories are so relatable that it made this read quick and enjoyable. Viv, the main character, is sassy and funny as she navigates what her next stages in life will be. It was sad, funny, and awe-inspiring.
This is a story of a failed marriage, self discovery, self confidence, forgiveness, friendships and a second chance at love.
Anitajt
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
The book started of well, then dwindled off but came back to life again. Viv reminded me of what a friend went through, the trials, tribulations and the effects of a husband leaving you. Well written and humorous in places and at times quite relatable.

Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher and the author for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review
TracieB♠️
Oh my I didn't want this to finish! I've read a few intense books this January so it really was nice to sink in to a light funny lovely read!
Easy writing style and brilliant characters, Especially Penny, even Ludo bless him.
Cannot wait to go and buy more of Fiona Gibson's books, I'm a new fan!
Jackie
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved the character Viv. Really felt for her and was glad the book ended the way it did. Hate it when cheating men win, so was pleased she makes him suffer.
Anubha Ghoshal
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it
The book deals with Viv's perspective, how she is married to a doctor who cheats on her, she is going through menopause and having a difficult time, self conscious and irritable, she has kids and doesn't want them to suffer. The good thing is she has friends who can relate, help her and let her achieve her dream.

__________________________________________

Review to come
Angela
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
First off I would just like to say Thank You for allowing me to read the ARC of this amazing book !! This is my first time reading anything by Fiona Gibson and it was a true pleasure!
I loved this book for so many reasons ...
The funny sassy whit of the main character Viv, man I do want her as one of my BFF's . I LOVE this woman!
Viv just happens to be hitting her menopause stage in life and is a mother of a 7 yr old little girl and 22 yr old son who gets blindsided by her husband that he is
Angie F
Jan 09, 2020
Carol Beasley
Jan 11, 2020
Andrea Pole
Nov 19, 2019
Tea Leaves and Reads
Dec 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
I've never read a book by Fiona Gibson - and after struggling through this one I'm not sure that I will try another. There was nothing out of the ordinary within this book - nothing different - no big revelations - it was all somewhat predictable. A book about a woman whose husband has left her and she thinks that life is over...is quite an overdone concept. So when reading about it I want there to be something else that sets it apart from those that have gone down that road before. Sadly, it ...more
Jessica

• No, We Can't Be Friends
  • Jane Gilley Untitled Book 2
  • The Stranger's Wife
  • The Dilemma
  • My One Month Marriage: The brand new uplifting page-turner from #1 bestseller Shari Low
  • Annie Beaton's Year of Positive Thinking
  • Snowdrops on Rosemary Lane
  • A Dozen Second Chances
  • Making Wishes at Bay View (Welcome To Whitsborough Bay #1)
  • The Neighbours
  • After He's Gone (DC Beth Chamberlain #1)
  • Strangers
  • The Secrets He Kept
  • Snug: A Collection of Comics about Dating Your Best Friend
  • A Cosy Christmas in Cornwall
  • Single
  • The Day that Changed Everything
  • Holly Banks Full of Angst
Fiona is an author and journalist who has written for many UK publications including The Observer, The Guardian, Marie Claire, Red, New Woman, Top Sante and Elle. She writes a monthly column for Sainsbury’s magazine and is a Contributing Editor at Red magazine.

Fiona lives in Scotland with her husband, their twin sons and daughter. She likes to draw, run 10k races, play her saxophone and lie in