Start by marking “VanOps: The Lost Power” as Want to Read:
VanOps: The Lost Power

VanOps: The Lost Power

(VanOps #1)

DA VINCI CODE meets TOMB RAIDER in this award-winning thriller that #1 NYT bestselling author James Rollins called, "A book that defines ‘page-turner.’"

Spain 1057: During a thunderous battle, the first King of Aragon wrestles Alexander the Great's priceless Egyptian weapon from the Moors, but finds it holds a terrifying and mysterious power.

Nearly a thousand years
Published November 9th 2019 by Black Opal Books

To ask other readers questions about VanOps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about VanOps

Start your review of VanOps: The Lost Power
SheySaints
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Summary
The story begins with a fascinating history during the early part of the High Middle ages; It was the year 1057 in the country of Spain when Ramiro, the King of Aragon battles Alexander the Great to get a priceless Egyptian weapon from the Moors. Uncovering the mysterious power it holds becomes his objective, promising himself to guard it from those who intend to use it for evil. After almost a thousand years, three individuals of different expertise team up to find this power. Maddy
Joyce
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

Maddy Marshall and Will Argones, twin brother ans sister, arrive at their father's old vineyard in the Napa Valley of California. Just as they arrive, a shot rings out that kills their father and Will's wife Maria. A young boy named AJ that was traveling with Maddie sees a black BMW hurry away from the scene.

After exhaustive interviews with somewhat incompetent appearing detectives, Will, Maddie and AJ leave. They see the BMW on the side of the road and a car chase ensues. The BMW
Jessica Bone
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Will and Maddy meet their dad at the family vineyard at the urgent message from their dad. Maddy has been too distracted by the breakup from her longtime boyfriend and her heart is not in the visit. She drives up to see her brother playing catch with Squirrel in the driveway with no idea what is going on. Shots ring out they enter the library to find their father and Will's wife dead. The last words from their father are to go to the Sacramento attorney. With those passing words, they are thrown ...more
Katherine Moore
Sometimes I'll go out on a limb and read a book that wasn't necessarily on my radar, by an author who's new to me, and even within a genre (or crosses several genres) that I don't read often. I like reading outside of my comfort zone because this is often where I'll find the shiniest gems of books that may otherwise pass me by. 'The Lost Power' is one of those books; touted as 'Da Vinci Code meets Tomb Raider' (both of which I know of, but haven't read or seen, and probably just as well), I knew ...more
Tamsyn Anderson-Miller
This book was great!! I absolutely loved reading this novel! I am amazed at the amount of detail and description Avanti provided and how she fluidly introduced the characters and background throughout the novel. I love it. Now I can’t wait for the second one!!! I definitely recommend for anyone looking for adventure, suspense, mystery, and a fun read!
Erin Remen
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding! Exciting and emotional! A masterpiece of storytelling that is surprising for a first novel, we'll written and intriguing. I found myself captivated and invested from the first few chapters. A devastating loss that ripples through the twins sends them on a quest for an unbelievable object that may just have unimaginable powers. Passed down from one generation to the next, from the first King of Spain until now. Every new generation is given the clues, but only the worthy will ...more
Paul
Aug 03, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I can see why this engaging book won an award. It has a lot going for it -- travel, good dialog, mystery, adventure -- all told by a very talented author. Highly recommended.

I really appreciate the advanced copy for review!!
Eric Cousineau
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully crafted action-packed story with twists and turns that keep you on the edge of your seat right to the last page. The amount of historical information given in the book shows that the author has done her research. The wonderfully developed characters continually provide surprises as the story unfolds as each one deals with their strengths and weaknesses. This is a genuine page turner with lots of adventure, action and plot twists. I look forward to reading more by this author.

Thank
Diane Riley
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of VanOps: The Lost Power by Avanti Centrae for reviewing purposes.

This is a great read. Three people—fraternal twins Maddy and Will and their friend Bear—race around the world trying to figure out a family mystery related to Maddy and Will’s family story. As relatives of the Spanish royal family, they are charged to find an ancient weapon than an ancestor grabbed from the Moors in the eleventh century—a weapon the Russians desperately want. This journey takes them to
Heather Bennett
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
VanOps has so much packed in it, it has a little bit of everything for everyone. Interesting characters and storyline. I would read more by this author.
Luna Kingson
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can’t say much about without spoiling. So if you do like books with a lot of unexpected things going on you should read it.
Dawn Garcia
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced adventure! My favorite things were the travel and descriptions of the architecture, monastery, castles, pyramids, etc. I would still like to see a map of the travels maybe in the front cover or even a few of them throughout the book as the trio moves. I also would like to see more emotion from the twins after their loss, but I'm a sap. I most enjoyed the end and the epilogue. Wow! And I do really think it would be a fun adventure, bond-like movie.
Michele
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Number of stars 5 out of 5

I wish I can give this book more then 5 stars if I have to it will be 10 stars. That is how great this book is.

I absolutely love this book. It's fast paced full of action, mystery and you can't stop reading this book. You want to keep reading again and again. I'm going to reread this book that is how much I love it.

You guys have to pick up this amazing wonderful beautiful book.
Jean Kolinofsky
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the joys of reading is finding an author that you have never read before and adding them to your must-read list. Avanti Centrae is the latest author whose book The Lost Power, the first in the Van Ops series, captured me on the first page and did not let go until the very end.

Opening in 1057, Ramiro, the king of Aragon, faces a terrifying weapon that devastates his troops. With the help of his son, the weapon is captured, hidden and protected by his ancestors. Fast forward to the present
Sheli M
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm looking forward to the next VanOps mission already!!

This was such a riveting, enjoyable read, and there was so much I liked about it including: the historical ties and weaving of different points in time through the family generational connections; geographical references and travel to foreign lands; suspense of the quest and finding the clues; the subtle romance building throughout the book; and especially the culmination of this thriller ending.

I became fully engaged in the book as if I
Ban
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
The great thing about this book is that it lets you imagine everything as if it’s happening right in front of you, or like you’re watching a movie. I like how each character holds a unique personality. Keeps you on the edge of your seat, and when it says that the genre is a thriller, it IS truly a thriller, filled with mystery and suspense.
The only thing about it is that I’m not a fan of long books due to the fact that I always can’t wait to know what’s next, especially since this one is a
Jan
Can't possibly go wrong with this one: murder, conspiracy, international pursuit, and all interspersed with historical data! It's a real thrill ride complete with martial arts, medieval weaponry, car chases, and even helicopter pursuit! The publisher's blurb is pretty good for an intro, and no spoilers here. Kept me reading straight through to the end and waiting for the next one!
I requested and received a free ebook copy from Books Go Social via NetGalley. Thank you!
Betty Ocken
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great read. I love the interaction between Maddy and Will as they race around the world with their friend Bear, trying to stay alive while they search for a powerful force that could change the fate of the world. I'm looking forward to the next book.
Amanda  Gee
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say, I loved every minute of this thriller.
A cross between Indiana Jones and the Da Vinci Code, fantastic characterisation and a story line that had me gripped from the start. I can't wait for the next one in the series.
Alan Baker
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Very exciting. Keeps your interest to the end. Could not put it down. Author has a great imagination and brought in high tech in a very interesting way. Looking forward to the next book.
Judy
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put this book down, finished in four evenings!!!! There was not a doll moment. Can't wait for the next one to come out!
Jackie
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Centrae leads the reader on a merry tale of secret societies, royal politics, powerful artifacts, and the bonds between family in The Lost Power. Maddy, Will, and Bear caught me up in their lives pretty quickly. From the hills of Napa Valley to the back streets in Jerusalem, Centrae weaves a tale that keeps you engaged from beginning to end. I can't wait for the next installment to see if the Russians find the original deposit, and what Maddy's and Will's uncle does in his efforts to thwart ...more
ronald c. greenberg
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really fascinating read

I loved it. The story is fast paced with great characters running at light speed all over the world. Of course it’s unlikely they could travel with nothing including phones stretches reality but it’s still a good story well told. Hope there is another coming
Kathy Anderson
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. When I couldn’t read, I was thinking about when I would have time to read. Always a good sign.
Margaret
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It is a genuine page turner with lost of adventure, action and plot twists. I look forward to reading more by this author.
Geo
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book via Booktasters in exchange for a review. It was a great read and had my interest from beginning to end. It has a little bit of everything for everyone. I am looking forward to more from this author and highly recommend it.
Michelle Ocken
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm still trying to catch my breath. What a fun ride! I normally read at night to help me sleep, but this book did just the opposite. To call this book a page-turner would be an understatement. Once I started, I couldn't put it down! This is great adventure with plenty of action and some wild twists.
Maddy, her twin brother, Will, and high school friend Bear, find themselves the unexpected center of a race to find a Lost Power that could change the world's balance of power and put thousands, if
Mary-reeta Mcgrade
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lost power is a good read. The story jumped from place to place ....but had me reading late into the night wanting to find out what is going to happen next. I will definitely read the next book.
Glenda
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, thriller
Absolutely LOVED the story!!

Loved the mix of fantasy and reality. It grabbed me from the start with Ramiro I, and on to Napa with Maddy and Will, and then Bear and the crazy assassin(s).

The descriptions made me feel like I was there with everyone. Through all the adventures, I had a hard time putting it down to do other things that I needed to do (like work).
Michelle Meyer
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book grabbed my interest from the very first chapter! Once I started reading it, I found I wanted to grab more and more time out of my day to keep reading. The Lost Power has a great list of characters that you get to know well, set in a thrilling book with a great mix of fiction and true history. I have read this book three times now, finding more details that I love about it each time. I can't wait to read the next book!

• The Manila Deception (James Acton Thrillers #26)
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • The Lake of Learning (Cassiopeia Vitt Adventure, #3)
  • Criss Cross (Alex Cross, #27)
  • Bad Memory (Jessica Shaw, #2)
  • Assassin's Revenge (David Slaton #6)
  • The Lost Colony (The Long Winter Trilogy, #3)
  • Echoes of Atlantis: Crones, Templars and the Lost Continent (Templars in America Book 6)
  • The Napoleon Affair (Sean Wyatt #18)
  • House of War (Ben Hope #20)
  • Verona
  • The Mayan Temple (Order of the Black Sun #30)
  • The Shape of Night
  • The Russian (Rob Tacoma #1)
  • It's a Christmas Thing
  • Nine Elms (Kate Marshall, #1)
  • Smoke Screen
  • The Devil's Advocate (Devil's Playground, #2)
AVANTI CENTRAE blends intrigue, history, science, and mystery into non-stop action thrillers. The Lost Power took home a Genre Grand Prize at the Chanticleer International Book Awards and an Honorable Mention at the Hollywood Book Festival. She resides in Northern California.