Start by marking “Fatigue” as Want to Read:
Fatigue

Fatigue

An inspiring true story about the twists of fate that challenge a couple’s expectations of love, marriage, and reliance.

Jennifer Acker and her husband had been married for eleven years when she was blindsided by a mysterious and undiagnosed incapacitation. Accustomed to their independent routines, they will have to reform both their lives to accommodate the enervating

Kindle Edition
Published October 8th 2019 by Amazon Original Stories

To ask other readers questions about Fatigue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fatigue

Start your review of Fatigue
Tzipora
Perfect for sick folks of all kinds, regardless of specific diagnosis. Jennifer Ackerman writes so beautifully of the experiences of being sick, which especially having been stuck in the hospital having to endlessly try to find out my feelings and experiences to words, is an incredible and rare gift. I found myself highlighting so much in this book and I think other folks, newly diagnosed or battling chronic illness for years will especially gain a lot from this. Hard for me to say how much and ...more
Rodica
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got this little gem through prime reading. I knew nothing about the author before downloading it and only briefly glanced at the synopsis. I thought I could it give it a try, since it’s short and it’s free. I am glad I did. It was such a beautiful, satisfying, albeit very short, read!

The author is telling the story of her illness and how it transformed her life and marriage. What makes it so compelling is her self-awareness and her extremely pleasant and intelligent manner of writing. No self
Keri Franklin
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Chronic Fatigue

This is a short read that probably affects the the number of stars I gave. I have a family member with very similar issues. So, I will share it with her. When a person has a chronic illness of any kind, you need help. She and her husband both had an illness and they were able to connect and support each other. That’s a gem. I enjoyed the short read.
Michelle
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very quick mini auto bio about the author’s sudden and inexplicable chronic illness and her search for a diagnosis. Because I suffer from chronic pain, I certainly understood everything she was going through. I would have appreciated a longer story with more details, but still very good.
Marie S
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good book, fascinating

The author drew me in to her own story. She never packaged this as a poor me, poor us type of situation. She just laid it out. We learned how difficult it is to deal with doctors who haven’t a clue how to help a condition. We learned we have to be our own advocate when it comes to our health.
Ultimately, this story is really a love story, one from which we could all learn. Certainly not “smarmy” in any way, just grown up, matter of fact, adulting maturely. Figuring it out
Jill
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Though this is a compelling story, this too short novella did not capture the emotions and/or magnitude of the severe medical trauma this couple experienced. Definitely needed more...
Christina
Nov 26, 2019 rated it liked it
A heartwarming short read

Having simply read the title, and not the sypnosis, of the relatively short book before diving in, I found myself relatively surprised with the emotions it invoked. The author writes in such a telling, earnest, and genuine way that the reader cannot help but follow her along this long and tedious journey of discovery, healing, and reconciliation and feel emotions that mirror hers. I found myself likewise frustrated when her life began to spiral into a bleak abyss of
Janice Rose
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Informative and beautifully inspiring!

This story is a very accurate and heartfelt accounting of an extremely difficult disorder/syndrome/condition that affects millions. Myself included.. I found myself smiling, tearing up, and cheering every solution and new information in their lives. I found this story inspiring.
Thank you Jennifer!
Erika Keller Rogoff
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thoughtful and insightful

This was a wonderful surprise for me because I anticipated superficiality and platitudes and I got thoughtful, profound and wise, loving and compassionate, in the venue of extraordinarily honest revelations of self and this very important relationship. Bravo.
Laura A. Weis
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Heartbreaker of pain & healing

Mysterious illness and then her husband falls ill at the same time. Very scary. But outlining how to overcome physical limitations by learning a new method of communication, perception & appreciation with the one person you’ve vowed to love through sickness and health.
Diane
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Powerful story of deepening love in context of chronic illness

This is a moving true story about 2 people, coincidentally developing debilitating chronic conditions and learning to care for each other, becoming closer and closer as they do so. Gives me hope.
Emily
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A positive look at two people who’s love gets stronger through their trials. What a breath of fresh air.
Raymond Cardinali
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Uplifting even in chaos!

Great writer! Felt like l was living in her house. What amazing grace and love! Reminds me of Jesus Thank you Jennifer
Regine Koroma
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very enlightening! My first Kindle read!
Cyndi Schnabel
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thought-provoking

So detailed--so exact--you can almost feel every ache, every pain they do. Plus, the bonus, is how their relationship evolves throughout. Great read
Suraj Alva
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Hmm

Concise--too much so I believe. But it gives people with disabilities (like me) hope that I can still do what I set out to, maybe even finding love on the way.
Linda
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Touching short story

Illness struck both husband & wife. They learned to rely on each other despite their disabilities. Learned to love each other again.
Tyron Frech
Jan 14, 2020
Anamaria
Oct 12, 2019
Rodolfo Beggs
rated it did not like it
Jan 13, 2020

• It's Not About You: A Brief Guide to a Meaningful Life
  • Parsnips in Love
  • Beside Herself
  • The Weddings
  • A Wedding Thing (The One, #3)
  • The Last Conversation (Forward collection)
  • Clara (The Fairer Sex collection Book 5)
  • Meredith (The Fairer Sex collection Book 2)
  • Alicia (The Fairer Sex collection Book 3)
  • The Third Man (This Can't Be Happening collection)
  • Keridee (The Fairer Sex collection 8)
  • Eleanor (The Fairer Sex collection 7)
  • Heidi (The Fairer Sex collection Book 4)
  • Lauren (The Fairer Sex collection 6)
Jennifer Acker is founder and editor in chief of The Common. Her short stories, essays, translations, and reviews have appeared in the Washington Post, Literary Hub, n+1, Guernica, The Yale Review, and Ploughshares, among other places. Acker has an MFA from the Bennington Writing Seminars and teaches writing and editing at Amherst College, where she directs the Literary Publishing Internship and ...more
“To feel alive rather than caught in a downward spiral. But, for the most part, all I could manage were audiobooks,” 0 likes