Start by marking “Dark Matters (Class 5, #4)” as Want to Read:
Dark Matters (Class 5, #4)

Dark Matters

(Class 5 #4)

DARK MATTERS . . . taking matters into her own hands

A time bomb, waiting to go off . . .

Lucy Harris is on the run, not sure where she can turn to for help, or if help is even available. But even as her abductors chase her down, she realizes they don't just want to recapture her, they want to erase her.

When your very existence puts a planet at t/>A
Published October 15th 2019 by Eclipse

To ask other readers questions about Dark Matters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Matters

Start your review of Dark Matters (Class 5, #4)
Mei
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf
I loved the previous 4 books and I liked this one too just not as much! LOL

Who's my favorit character here? But Bane, of course! Because I just LOVE the Class 5 ships! ;-)

Lucy and Drey are OK, I just couldn't see their love here. To me it seems like more a scratch-an-itch type of relationship than love! Lucy is fascinated by Drey because he resembles an elf, while Drey is attracted to Lucy because she's human and can sing. And that's the foundation of their "love"... Meh.
Mara
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, futuristic
After 4 books of the same dish I got seriously bored. All the women, the ships and the men sound the same, the romance aren't real, and the stories go nowhere.

I get that elfs sound sexy, insects don't. But a copy of the same couple for 4 books is a little too much. This series has always been shallow, but I think this book was even worse. As if the change of scenery was supposed to be enough.
Bland, bland, bland.

Marta Cox
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well it looks like the Tecram are really in a pickle now as the United Council have realised just how insidious their actions have been. Stealing alien technology and even humans is something that cannot go unpunished. Lucy has been a prisoner of the Tecrans for months, treated with contempt by many and suspicion by others yet as those in power seek to eliminate the threat her existence poses she takes the chance to escape.
Dray hadn't really trusted the Tecram yet finds himself part of the dipl
Douglas Meeks
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
OK, let me make sure everyone knows I love this series and have given 5 Stars to the previous 3 books but while this one was a 5 Star action story, I have to admit the horrible "insta-love" was just a bit overdone here so overall I gave it 4 Stars.

So with that out of the way we had a hint at the end of the last book that there was one more Earth woman to find and so this is her story and a great story it is, political intrigue, action, sorta romance (just to make the main 2 character
Stephanie (Bookfever)
First of all I want to say how glad I am that the author wrote this book because it had actually already ended in 2016 with the third book. So I feel really blessed that we have gotten a fourth book in the series. Out of her science fiction series, this series is still my favorite so yay I was so happy to have been able to read it. Now on to the review!

Right from the start this book completely hooked me. It was hard to put my Kindle away and to stop reading, it was that good. Startin
Elizabeth
Such a great story, feel like bursting into song.

Hoped for a story with Bane and a human and here it is. Opened the first page and I was back in the land of Grih, Tecran, Fitali, Bukaria, Gramman, abducted humans and class 5 ships. Action, suspense, drama then the last page came, which was way too soon and the story was over. Sad. But a fantastic conclusion to the whole series.

The world building continued to be consistent throughout the book and series. Lucy the heroine and Dray the hero we
Christine
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, romance
I was thrilled when I saw this was released --total surprise! I had felt that the series was not quite "done".

But this one is not in the same class as the first 3.

There were missing scenes that would have made the book better.
(view spoiler)

Parts were really good, parts were
Maria
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Commander Dray Helvan is on the envoy to Tecra to enforce the demobilization of their military following the breach of United Council law. Bane, a AI battleship, is also coming and he has a reliable rumor that Lucy Harris, another Earth woman, and final proof that the Tecrans have repeatedly lied and broken the law is alive. Lucy was spirited out of the research facility where she was kept... but now she's on the run in a foreign planet without anyone to trust.

Why I started this book
BAK
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I discovered this series last week when book 4 was released, I asked some group reader buddies about it and someone said it was good….wrong. Why do I keep taking other random reader group members advice? Let me clarify.
So there are 4 books in this series. And yes, I read all four which is why this review includes brief information about each. Why? Because I wish before I got into a series and became invested someone else would have taken the time to warn other readers.
Spoilers head! Let’s set
Andrea
2.75

Well... the book isn't bad per say... its just that I feel like I've re-read the same story- now for the 4th time. I thought the 3rd book was the last one, and I felt like this new book didn't really add anything new for me. I like the original premise, and gave the first book 4 stars, but like I said it just the same premise with an inter-changable Earth woman, a different Grih military guy, a different thinking system, and an inept bad alien nemesis.

2.75

description

I did like the Lucy really didn't take any shit though.

"Lucy had made a decision not to apologize for anything that had been done to her, and so she met the ambassador's gaze without wavering."

but really it was the same step-by-step story with similar elements:

*Earth woman falls for hot elf looking Grih guy in a matter of days
*obsessed with grinabo
*gets unique weapon from Thinking System
*Thinking system is obsessed with Earth woman
*Earth woman gets captured and re-captured by inept bad guys at least twice
*Everyone sings
*Earth woman can magically speak an alien language fluently after only a few months
*Repeated mentioning of the name Rose McKenzie

description

Like I said I like it...but...I guess I wanted something more than just a rehashing of the same story with differently named leads
Mari (Smut Duchess)
5 ⭐

I love everything about the Class 5 series. The heroes and heroines are strong and smart. Nobody does impulsive or dumb stuff. The plots are well thought out and believable.

Dark Matters didn't disappoint. The lying, thieving Tecran abducted 4 earth women in their Class 5 ships. Although three women were found, Lucy Harris was imprisoned on Tecra and no one knew she was there. Before Paxe triggered his self destruct in Dark Minds he sent a message to his fellow AIs that the Tecran
T00zday
To be honest I am disappointed.
I llooooved the first and third of this series.

This book felt a little like series-stretching. Author realized how popular this series was and decided to create
another - but her heart wasn’t in it.

Also - did anyone else think Lucy was an American?
The first three books were all British ladies.
* Rose was on ‘holiday’
* The other women were kidnapped from the same area
* They all sang Frère Jacques

Lucy d
J.Lee
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ever since I first read Dark Horse, this series drew me in, swept me up and carried me away to another time and place. It was hard coming back to myself, and I was so disappointed to be told there would be no more Class 5 books. Then I learned that Michelle Diener caved under pressure (I think Bane insisted) and this book is the result. I was so excited to learn this book was coming, and didn't know how I was going to wait before I could read it. Like the other 3 books, this one deals with the C ...more
Sylencius
Shelves: aliens
I'm so glad Michelle Diener decided to give her readers a last book to conclude this awesome series.

This story was perfect . Action, angst, some drama, a bit of romance... the usual when it comes to the Class 5 series.

I enjoyed the leads, but I must see I really loved Bane ! We didn't get to know him a lot in the past, and I was glad that now all the thinking systems each have a human woman whom they can trust.

The ending however was abrupt... The author end the book befo
Misti
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sfr-pnr, ebook
I was so excited when I heard there would be another Class 5 book. This is a good addition to the series, however, my favorite parts have always been the music and there was a lot less in this book. In fact, I don’t remember a single song being named. Nina Simone was mentioned once and then I think it was all generic bits of singing or humming. Anyway, I wish there had been more. Fans of the series will still want to read it, but don’t start here if you haven’t read any of the others.
Patty
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Debrac2014
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good story (view spoiler)
Joanne Watkins USA
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Bit silly

This was written after the series had clearly meant to end so it lacked the narrative of the others. Lucy bumbles from being captured to free and back again and that’s the story. It was ludicrous to believe she wasn’t killed by the soldiers.
Shasha
Satisfying scifi

The action doesn't stop in this sci-fi romance.
The heroine, though not a soldier, is resourceful and strong in escaping her captors. She doesn't always succeed but then she gets help from a handsome alien led and an AI with a battleship.
The politics and people are complex with differing opinions that makes for much suspense as the characters don't know who the antagonists are special and are on the run.
I will read this again!

Read in KU
Summer
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aliens, space, kidnapped, ai
I was so excited to hear a fourth book was coming out and it didn't disappoint! It was so fun to revisit old friends and go on a new adventure with the class 5s.
Ann Brookens
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book 4 of the Class 5 series is very welcome, very enjoyable, and very satisfying! It really tied up all the loose ends for me, leaving the series feeling completed. I absolutely loved Dark Matters. Thank you, Michelle, for giving in to your readers!
Kara-karina
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5
" Never mind. He would experience karma. She would make sure of it.
She would be karma's handmaiden."

I loved this book, folks!

I actually enjoyed this whole series immensely, and can't recommend it enough for the fans of all things space opera and technology. It's easy, it's a fast read and as usual with Michelle's books, it portrays a strong, admirable, resourceful and determined heroine kicking butt with gusto.

The good thing is that this series isn't b
Diane
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some new plot elements enliven the latest Class 5 SF adventure

There's thankfully much less page-time spent on the Grih's awe of all human singing, and thinking battleship Bane is free (with his own rescue+vengeance agenda) from the beginning, so this time the plot has scarcely any feel of being a retread, other than the obvious combination of kidnapped-human-female/Grih-military-officer.

The protagonists were both likable but, FYI, romance was only a minor element, if that's what you're mainly
Riley
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-romance
In Dark Matters, Michelle Diener takes the adventure planetside to Tecra, home of the species that has been out there making trouble. The Tecrans, subverting the law in their part of the galaxy, are the instigators in this series. The rest of the UC (mostly) are the law and some of the good guys.

In previous books in the Class 5 series, the UC has attempted, with a fair amount of success, to quash the Tecran attempts. They have found and freed 3 humans, and 4 Class 5s, while a 5th Class 5 blew
Barbershopgirl
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love anything by Michelle Diener and was excited to receive an ARC copy of Dark Matters. It did NOT disappoint. This is the 4th in the Dark Horse series that ends with Bane, a Class 5 Battleship with a soul. Background: The Tecran have been sanctioned because they stole sentient beings from earth, those beings being Rose, Fiona and Imogen, all stories previously told in this series and if you haven't read them you are missing out. Rose helped free Bane from his captors after she had freed EASI ...more
Tina Williams
Action-packed and suspenseful!
Dark Matters contains plenty of action, suspense and also a sweet romance between the heroine Lucy and Commander Dray Helvan, who is tasked with retrieving Lucy from the planet Tecra before her enemies can destroy her.
The book is the latest in Michelle Diener’s excellent Class 5 series and this instalment once again delves into intergalactic politics, the use and abuse of advanced AI battleships and the fate of the human women who are unwillingly thrust
Lynn
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
4.5 Stars
One of at least four earth women who were abducted by the Tecran at varying times, Lucy Harris has made her escape from the facility on Tecra where she was being held. Now she is on the run from the military who are covertly trying to undermine peace for their planet. They know if Lucy is revealed to the ruling party known as the United Council, things will go much worse for the bristly inhabitants of Tecra. The feather faced Tecrans with chicken beak-like mouths have been the vil
Make
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dark Matter is book 4 in the Class 5 series by Michelle Diener. This is a thoroughly enjoyable sci fi romance series, and I‘m so glad to “meet” another of the Class 5 artificial intelligence (AI) ships here, Bane. I adore that the intergalactic battleships have their own quirky personalities, making them characters in their own right.

This series follows a group of Earth women who were abducted from their planet by the Tecram, a thoroughly scummy planet of aliens who appear to have no honor. The
Teresa
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this series. :) I was lucky enough to receive an ARC from the author in return I agreed to give my honest review of her book. Well, going into it I knew I'd love it because the Class 5 series is one of my all time favorites and this book did not let me down! Really wonderful characters and a lot of excitement and chasing and danger, more in this book than in the previous ones. We see much more interaction with the Tecran in this book than in any other in the Class 5 series and let me tell ...more
Diana in SC
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A worthy addition to my favorite space opera series!

This book is so freaking good! It is a smart, action-packed thriller on a far-off planet with a touch of romance. This series really should be read in order because of wonderful story arcs and because this novel contains spoilers for previous books. In addition, we first met Bane in Book 1 (“Dark Horse”), and I am so glad that he is in this new novel. You definitely need to read about Bane first in “Dark Horse”.

The thi
« previous 1 3 next »

• Bane (The Ladyships, #2)
  • Contaminated (Cosmic Fairy Tales)
  • The Wind's Call (The Broken Lands, #4)
  • The Melier: Prodigal Son (Women of Dor Nye, #6)
  • Bria (League of Aligned Worlds Book 1)
  • Centurion (Galactic Gladiators: House of Rone, #3)
  • Kiss Of Eon (Eon Warriors, #4)
  • Falling for Sky (Cyborg Seduction #11)
  • Our Pet (Ours Book 1)
  • Our Flower: Ours Book 2
  • Hot and Haunted (Wakeman Grimore, #1)
  • The Ugly Dukeling (Cosmic Fairy Tales)
  • Pets in Space 4 (Pets in Space Anthologies #4)
  • The Orchid Throne (Forgotten Empires, #1)
  • The Return (Shifter Planet #2)
  • ZHADRA (Obosian Warriors #1)
  • Winter's Web (Winter Black #7)
  • Hidden Cove (Solace Island, #3)
Michelle Diener is a bestselling, award-winning author of historical fiction, science fiction and fantasy. Having worked in publishing and IT, she's now very happy crafting new worlds and interesting characters and wondering which part of the world she can travel to next.

Michelle was born in London, grew up in South Africa and currently lives in Australia with her husband and two children.

Class 5 (4 books)
  • Dark Horse (Class 5, #1)
  • Dark Deeds (Class 5, #2)
  • Dark Minds (Class 5, #3)