Start by marking “Sleepyhead (Tom Thorne, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sleepyhead (Tom Thorne, #1)

Sleepyhead

(Tom Thorne #1)

Detective Inspector Tom Thorne now knows that three murdered young women were a killer's mistakes -- and that Alison was his triumph. And unless Thorne can enter the mind of a brilliant madman -- a frighteningly elusive fiend who enjoys toying with the police as much as he savors his sick obsession -- Alison Willetts will not be the last victim consigned forever to a hideo ...more
Published May 1st 2003 by Avon Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Sleepyhead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleepyhead

Tea Jovanović
Sjajan autor... ovo mu je prva knjiga u serijalu... Nažalost, nije dobro prošao kod naše publike, što zbog loših korica, što zbog nikakvog marketinga izdavača, a kasnije nisam uspela da mu nađem drugi dom... Ali ne gubim nadu... Britanci su snimili nedavno i seriju Thorne po prve dve knjige serijala...
Lisa
Nov 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I am afraid to say I DNF this read the character of Tom Thorne for me was too arrogant & pretentious, although the plot had me in it just was dragging a bit, although I was interested if Miss Willits ever came out of the coma that part was interesting but I just thought Tom himself concentrated on other things rather than the actual murders it just didn't go anywhere but you win some you lose some.
Mark
Dec 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Mark by: Tracy and Chloe
This is the second book that has come into my temporary possession from the 2012 World Book Night (WBN). This one came to me through the good offices of my friend Tracy who picked it up on holiday abroad so it had, since April 23rd 2012, already travelled across an ocean or two. Having read it, my duty is to now make sure its journey continues. WBN is a great way of encouraging people to read and experiment with genre they might otherwise not taste. It’s like Goodreads imposed on the whole world ...more
Lou
Sep 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was my first read of Mark Billingham's novels and his character Detective Inspector Tom Thorne. Nearly ten years on now when this debut was launched and I am guilty of not reading many British authors when it comes to crime and thrillers, I have loved John Connolly and his character Charlie Parker and read quite a few in the series and read maybe one Ian Rankin. I am impressed, the was pace was good and he got me on the perpetrator of the murders I did not see it.This was my first read of M ...more
Victoria
Unfortunately this book failed to excite me at all. It wasn’t wonderful, it wasn’t terrible - it was just... average. The plot was straightforward and without any complexities, despite some strange elements to the murders themselves. I had hoped that the title character of this series would stand out in some way, but I did not find him to be particularly sympathetic at all. His obsessive nature was off-putting, and it was difficult to muster up any positive emotion for him whatsoever. The cartoo ...more
Susan
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book featuring D I Tom Thorne. When Alison Willetts is found in a deliberately induced coma, it seems that her survival is not the mistake. The mistake was the three young women previously found dead and Alison's case the first the killer got right. Thorne must investigate and soon finds himself involved with Alison's doctor, Anne Coburn, despite the fact that one of her closest and oldest friends is his prime suspct.

There was much I liked about this book. Thorne is a typical o
Amy Eye
Mar 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What woman doesn’t want to be known for just her mind? Most women would bend over backwards to find a man who could appreciate what she was thinking, not what she was wearing or how full her bra was. Being waited on hand and foot doesn’t seem like such a bad idea either does it? People to feed you when you are hungry, bathe you and adjust your bed when the pillows need fluffing? Sounds like the life, doesn’t it? You can have all of this and more.

All you need is a night out, in England, with a cr
Anna
Dec 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012, 3-stars
The premise to this is very good. As with most mystery-thrillers, a serial killer is on the loose, but in this case, he doesn’t actually mean to kill. He wants to induce his victims into a locked-in syndrome coma, but when the procedure goes wrong they end up dead, much to his annoyance. Oops, poor psycho. The ‘right’ victim survives in hospital, attached to a ventilator and feeding tube, only able to communicate through blinking, but with a fully conscious mind.

The book didn’t live up to its po
Siobhan
Whilst I am a lover of this genre I can honestly say that for some reason I have never been attracted to the Thorne series for reasons I’ve never been entirely sure of. In fact, had it not been for the fact that a family member gave me the book to read I probably never would have picked up the book. I know that there is a rather large Thorne fan base out there, but for me, after reading it, I can honestly say that I am not part of that group.

When offered the book by aforementioned family member
Jaksen
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Complex thriller/mystery with shifting POV.

Detective Tom Thorne is a complex, multi-layered individual. He's messed up; he's normal. He makes mistakes; he gets it right. He's tortured by an old case in which his intuition was on target, but ... that really isn't a spoiler, just background info.

Tom Thorne is investigating a strange series of murders, in which 'murder' doesn't seem to be what the perpetrator's really going for. What he - Mr or Mrs Bad Guy - wants to do is render his/her victims
Robert Beveridge
Jan 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished, cle-pub-lib
Mark Billingham, Sleepyhead (Avon, 2001)

What is it about British mystery authors cranking out excellent first novels? Nicci French, Mo Hayder, and Minette Walters have all waltzed down the pike in the last decade and taken the world by storm. Now you can add Mark Billingham to the list.

Billingham's first novel, Sleepyhead, is about a truly twisted individual, even more twisted than Hayder's birdman-this one's dead bodies are failed experiments. What he's really after, he gets in Alison Willetts,
Dipanjan
May 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
"Sleepyhead" was first experience with the work of Mr. Billingham. This book introduced me to Tom Thorne, a DI in London. It's a serial killer novel. The twist promised was what had made me buy this book. Rather than actually trying to kill his victims, the perpetrator is trying to paralyse them by pinching a spot in their neck for nearly two minutes in an attempt to cause a stroke in the victim's brain stem. If done perfectly, the victim cannot do anything more than blink even though their brai ...more
Jemidar

This is not your usual crime thriller as the killer is not actually trying to kill his victims and the women who die are his 'mistakes.' It's an interesting premise because by having a victim who survives with 'Locked In Syndrome' it allows the reader to experience the helplessness victims of crime feel when somebody else makes decisions about the worth and value of their lives. Alison's story is told with humour, courage and compassion which IMO lifted this story above the ordinary tale of cop
Linda Shubeck
Feb 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
A terrible book. The characters are not believable. Worse yet, we are provided with the thoughts of the victim (who cannot speak or move). These portions of the book are so awful that it left me wondering if the author knew any women at all. I know, extremely negative but the book was truly awful. I would give it a negative rating in "black holes" (as opposed to stars) if that were only an option.
Vicii
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say firstly that I got this copy free from Amazon (as part of a promotion and this was my choice from 5 options). I'm so pleased that I choose this book as it's just my kind of read when it comes to detective novels.

It had me guessing right to the end as to who the "killer" was and I did the usual of changing my mind a couple of times, but essentially I was convinced that same as Thorne... good job I'm not a detective in real life!

I'll definitely put Mark Billingham on my "follow autho
Gary
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
The first in the series featuring Detective Inspector Tom Thorne.
A promising start to this series and I was entertained enough to want to read more.
The plot was interesting and slightly unusual, the characters were well developed and hopefully this will only improve as I read more of the series.
Derick
Jan 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-on
"The covers of this book are too far apart."
- Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914)
Christine
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this years ago and it was one of those books that stays with you. Mark Billingham is a fantastic author and has created a brilliant detective in Tom Thorne.
Lisa
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
Excellent book. Read it awhile ago. So, now I'm listening to the Audible. Narrated by Robert Glenister and Holly Harbour.

Excellent narration.
Best Crime Books & More
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Mmmm, I feel very torn with this review and I will tell you why. Having never read any of the Thorne series of books by Mark Billingham, I decided to make a marathon catch up session and start with his debut novel Sleepyhead (released in 2001). The synopsis sounded pretty amazing and I started the book with anticipation. The reason I say I am torn is because I have really conflicting emotions. The story, writing and plot was flipping amazing and it took me no time to devour the book. On the othe ...more
Helen
I'd been meaning to get around to reading Mark Billingham for a while, the couple of books I have had been waiting patiently on the heap as I've worked my way through my respective piles of bought and borrowed books .. I so wish I'd moved Sleepyhead nearer to the top of the pile, this is the best British crime-thriller I've read since the Stuart Macbride series!

Superb pacing, totally engrossing plot and didn't let on who the bad guy was until the penultimate chapters. I also thought the insights
Margaret
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-challenge, crime
In this, the first, Tom Thorne novel, Mark Billingham is gently sorting out his characters and where they will go.

Someone is drugging and inducing strokes in women, not to kill them. The killer considers the dead ones failures, but to leave them in a coma.

An interesting concept and the book plays out really well. I am glad, though, that Mark dropped the idea of Thorne mentally talking to the victims. That was weird and didn't gel with the character.

A good read, but by no means the best Tom Thorn
MadProfessah
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
Sleepyhead is the first book in the DI Tom Thorne series by Mark Billingham. It is yet another British detective murder-mystery series, this time set in London, and has multiple similarities to many other British police procedurals by the likes of Ian Rankin (John Rebus), Stuart MacBride (Logan McRae), Robert Bryndza (Erica Foster), Adrian McKinty (Sean Duffy), Val McDermid (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan), Peter Robinson (Alan Banks) and Susie Steiner (Manon Bradshaw).

Of course the first thing th
Noella  Van Looy
Ik vond dit wel een goed boek.

Verschillende meisjes worden vermoord, door hun halsslagader dicht te knijpen, maar dan is er één meisje dat het overleeft, al leeft ze zowat als een plant. Volledig bewust, maar ze kan niet bewegen, na een tijdje kan ze een beetje met haar ogen knipperen.
Dan blijkt dat het niet zo is dat dit meisje gered is, maar dat het juist de bedoeling van de dader was dat ze op deze manier zou verder leven. En dat de andere meisjes dood zijn, komt enkel omdat hij zijn techniek
Marina
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
3,5/5 enjoyed this and looking forward to reading the others is this range.
 Olivermagnus
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
We are introduced to Detective Inspector Tom Thorne in the first book of the series, 2001's Sleepyhead. Thorne is all about his job, an obsession that's left him with a reputation in the Metropolitan Police for being an awkward bastard and someone who it's best not to associate with too much if you have any care for your job. His latest case is a serial killer whose MO is to target women in their homes, drug them and then give them strokes by kinking an artery in their necks. Except the fourth v ...more
Mark
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, gifts
An original story line involving characters that I really liked that had dimensions to them rather than the card board personality cliche's that some books have. Yet there was something irritating about this book that I can't quite put my finger on. I tend to read quite fast yet despite really enjoying this book it seemed to take me an age to read. For reasons I can't explain this book couldn't seem to hold my concentration for more than about 10 pages at a time, Especially for the first half of ...more
Jim
Apr 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
A serial-killer mystery with a twist. A young woman is in a coma, a victim of a botched murder attempt committed by a murderer who has already killed several other women. However, DI Tom Thorne realizes that the young woman's survival in a coma isn't a mistake, rather her fate is what the killer intended. The women who died were failed experiments.

This is a creepy, suspenseful mystery, with strongly-written characters. Mark Billingham did a good job of keeping me guessing to the end.

As a genera
Ainsley
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
With the exception of Kate Atkinson's Jackson Brodie novels, I'm not much of a reader of this particular genre. I picked up Sleepyhead because I caught part of the TV series on HBO. I wanted to like this book, and at parts I did find myself caught up in the story and really enjoying it, but then Billingham would lose me again. I simply neither believed in nor cared for his lead character, Tom Thorne, and I found the relationship that Thorne develops in this story completely unconvincing. The mos ...more
Martin Sharp
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was given The Burning Girl a while ago and really enjoyed. I thought it made sense to go back to the beginning with Thorne, Holland, Hendricks et al and I'm delighted I did!

The story revolves around a series of seemingly unconnected deaths, all put down as stroke victims. Nothing to get excited about until a smart doctor realises that a survivor was deliberately attacked and put in to a coma-like status that leaves her mind perfectly functioning, but her body effectively dead. Locked-in.

Thorne
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN mislabeled as Kindle edition but Nook 2 15 May 12, 2016 10:38AM
  • Broken Skin (Logan McRae, #3)
  • Senator
  • Scavenger Hunt (A Finny Aletter Mystery, Book 1)
  • Black Dog (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #1)
  • The Last 10 Seconds (Tina Boyd #5)
  • Fever of the Bone (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #6)
  • Play Dead (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne #4)
  • The Crime of Julian Wells
  • The Death Collectors (Carson Ryder, #2)
  • Darkness Before Dawn
  • Head To Head (Claire Morgan #1)
  • Not Dead Enough (Roy Grace, #3)
Also writes as Will Peterson with Peter Cocks.

Mark Billingham was born and brought up in Birmingham. Having worked for some years as an actor and more recently as a TV writer and stand-up comedian his first crime novel was published in 2001. Mark lives in North London with his wife and two children.

Tom Thorne (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Scaredy Cat (Tom Thorne, #2)
  • Lazybones (Tom Thorne, #3)
  • The Burning Girl (Tom Thorne, #4)
  • Lifeless (Tom Thorne, #5)
  • Buried (Tom Thorne, #6)
  • Death Message (Tom Thorne, #7)
  • Bloodline (Tom Thorne, #8)
  • From the Dead (Tom Thorne, #9)
  • Good As Dead (Tom Thorne, #10)
  • The Dying Hours (Tom Thorne, #11)
“want to look over her shoulder to check. He’d wait until they left Marylebone.” 0 likes