Start by marking “In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)” as Want to Read:
In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)

In the Heart of the Fire

(Nameless #1)

A bloodthirsty sheriff is terrorizing a small Texas town where justice has been buried with his victims. Until Nameless arrives—a vigilante whose past is a mystery and whose future is written in blood.

Anyone who crosses Sheriff Russell Soakes is dead, missing, or warned. One of them is a single mother trying to protect her children but bracing herself for the worst.

Published November 12th 2019 by Amazon Original Stories

To ask other readers questions about In the Heart of the Fire, please sign up.
Sharon Rosenberg I'm under the impression that it won't be available in hardcover. This is part of a series of short stories, and they're all on Kindle. :)

Start your review of In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)
Obsidian
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Not a bad first book in the series. Just a bit too new Koontz for me. I was hoping for some horror, but this one will do. There's a damn dog, but at least it's not a golden retriever. And for once the dog didn't have super powers. I think that the flow after a bit was a bit off. And I think that Nameless felt like a hybrid of Odd Thomas and a few Koontz heroes mixed in. At least this guy doesn't seem to be a former military man with the ability to just shoot people in like five seconds. I will ...more
Constantine

Rating: 3.5/5.0

Genre:
Mystery Thriller + Short Story

A good start for a series. We follow a nameless character, I think he calls himself nameless too! He is a vigilante though he rejects to be called that. Ace of Diamonds (Another unknown character) gives him this mission to take down a corrupt cop.

The story is linear but has lots of mystery to it. Of course, we don't get answers to who Nameless is and why is he doing what he is doing. It makes things more intriguing to start the next book in the
Sheila Beaumont
Excellent short thriller with hints of the supernatural, the first in Dean Koontz's new "Nameless" series. Loved the dog! I'm looking forward to reading the other five books in this series.
Michael Hicks
My review of IN THE HEART OF THE FIRE can be found at High Fever Books.

I used to be a voracious reader of Dean Koontz back in the 90s and early part of the 2000s, but fell off the bandwagon around the time By the Light of the Moon and a string of other clunkers came out and he traded the intriguing and unfinished Christopher Snow series for the much too-earnest and goofball comedy of Odd Thomas. Koontz was growing increasingly saccharine and annoying at the turn of the century, putting a
Nilton Teixeira
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Well... this short story of only 62 pages was not very well developed and It’s a bit confusing. Too many names involved in a very short time. And the story wasn’t that engaging. I thought I was reading 162 pages.
There are some good moments. Actually, the best parts are when the main character has visions of occurrences in the future or from the past.
This is the first of a series of short stories, especially for Amazon. As I’m a Amazon Prime subscriber, I have access to this series (and several
Jim C
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is a short story and is part of a series of short stories. In this one, we follow the main character, Nameless, as he helps a woman protect her children from a sheriff of a local county who likes little children. Nameless has the power to see the future and he is associated with an organization that gives him resources to help his mission.

I liked this first story of this series but I wasn't blown away. I think I will enjoy the subsequent books because this short story was part set up
Armand Rosamilia
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gritty and slightly different from what I'm used to from Koontz, which is a good thing. I love how lately his work keeps me guessing, and he's not afraid to go really dark, which I enjoyed. On to the next one!
David Dalton
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am liking Nameless. What a novel idea for a character. The Equalizer with an edge so to speak.

The key question is who is this Ace of Diamonds and what is his tie to Nameless?

Six short stories. I am intrigued. Count me in. Plus, it is written by Dean Koontz. On to the next Nameless Photographing the Dead (Nameless #2) by Dean Koontz
Asheley
Perfect length to listen to while I made dinner tonight! I started when I began prep work on my meat and vegetables and I finished just as my oven timer went off

Nameless is a vigilante that cannot remember his own past. He has visions of strangers’ past and future. In this installment, he helps a widowed woman and her two small children by taking care of the sheriff that has forced them live in fear. The sheriff is an awful monster of a person and Nameless really makes him pay.

Because of the
Dante
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
“You must be tired".
Dee Cherry
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
1st read by this author. Good beginning to series as Nameless done a great job ridding the town of #1 villain, a dangerous savage. I believe I'm going to enjoy this series
Heather
Oct 02, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: amazon-originals

I'm looking forward to this collection.
Shorty
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a Very cool new series. I found it very captivating and wished the story would continue for much longer than it was. I’m definitely going to continue with the rest of the novels in the Nameless series.

Edoardo Ballerini is the narrator. He is perfect for these audiobooks.

4 stars, and recommended.
Tracy
Interesting little short story and if you are a fan of Odd Thomas, I think you would really like this. Honestly, I am such a fan of Dean Koontz that I didn't even need to read what these were about before starting them. I can't wait to see where book 2 goes.
Daley
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Short read. Interesting story that reads like a TNT show, but written beautifully. Some bits were almost poetic. I usually enjoy some comedy thrown in when the content is so heavy.
Pretty good.
Bernard Jan
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nameless is a clairvoyant vigilant who delivers justice to the victims of the small Texas town terrorized by Sheriff Russell Soakes in a short story In the Heart of the Fire from Dean Koontz’s promising new series.
Nikki
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If this doesn't prove my love for Dean Koontz, then I don't know what does. I like physical books, not audiobooks or e-readers. But if the only way these are available is audiobook or e-reader, well guess who signed up for a free trial? That's right. This girl.

I'm really in love with this Nameless concept, and I can't believe how deep and rich of a concept was packed into what was ultimately a short story. I can't wait to dive into the next one and I actually didn't mind the audiobook version
Mark Noble
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dean Koontz has a new partnership with Amazon.com. He has released six stories today, the Nameless series, available only from Amazon in e-book format. The stories are priced at $1.99 each unless you are a Prime subscriber in which case they are free. They are longer than most short stories but shorter than a novella. Quite similar to the story he released through Amazon last year, Ricochet Joe. These stories will be followed by five full length novels, available only through Amazon, beginning ...more
Stephen Snead
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good fast read

I read it in one sitting. Well, I did take a dinner break. The 4 star rating is warranted because this is vintage Koontz. The hero is a mystery who is guided by a mysterious operative working f o r a mysterious organization. The man with no name and a probably tragic past that he can't remember. This is the first of a series of short books featuring the "Nameless" hero. Of course it has a dog in it. A mother and children in peril. I won't spoil it. But, the villains are guilty of
K
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pending
An interesting short story from Dean Koontz, centering on a clairvoyant avenger who suffers from a serious case of amnesia, remembering only recent past events, but not his own identity. Appropriately called “Nameless,” this killer whose fingerprints have been chemically erased, accepts missions assigned by a mysterious source, carries them out, and moves onto the next.

Righting wrongs and operating outside the law, Nameless can often see snippets of the future, or what possible future might
Daniel Gonçalves
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
An innovator is often an adapter - a man who fits to its times - an entity with the purpose to reinvent and recreate. Great artistry is not just producing excellent and remarkable pieces. It's also recreating vigourously, reaching for the present with an indicator of a realisitic future. With this series, released in an inovative way that shook the paradigm of the industry, Dean Koontz proves that he is exactly that: an inovator.

The first episode of the 6 part series is not great: the story is
Romeo
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Felicia Booher
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Koontz - yes please!

Nameless is everything you expect a beloved Koontz character to be. If you love Koontz, then by all means you'll love this book. If you haven't had the pleasure of reading one of amazing works, let this be an excellent introduction into his world. He can scare you, make you laugh, make you love the characters, or hate them! He will leave you with thought provoking story lines that you won't soon forget. The first of the six book series did not disappoint. I'm leaving this at
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great short read!

I rarely read electronic books because I like having the physical book in my hands and then I keep every book I read, but I like to keep a book on my Kindle or Nook app just in case I get stuck somewhere without a book. I came across this series by the wonderful Dean Koontz and I must say, he does not disappoint. This is only the first one but I’ll definitely continue this series.
Joann Herley
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In the Heart of the Fire is full of suspense. Each character you meet makes you wonder what role they will play. Nameless through the Ace of Diamonds is ready to put evil in its place. The Sheriff and his accomplices are the evil he seeks. I enjoyed this thriller and look forward to more of this Nameless Series.
Bramwell
An interesting novella introducing an operative anti-hero who doesn't even know his own name...

It's short and I hate giving away the plot in a review, so I can say that I recommend it. It's well worth the time.

The first part of a series of Amazon Original Stories released this month. They are free to read (and listen to on Audible) if you are a member of Amazon Prime.

Kind of like a short, not as disturbing Andrew Vachss story. I will definitely be listening to the rest of the series.
Johnny
Shelves: own-it, ebook
This reads as the prologue of a larger book. Reminiscent of supernatural themed books as well as high concept thrillers. Nameless is a combination of Odd Thomas and Jane Hawk. This first episode has me intrigued immensely. It's a classic tale of the fight against Evil, fought by a man specially equipped to handle the situation.

Although it might be a marketing ploy: get more people interested in purchasing ebooks by releasing an exclusive series by a well established author. Koontz has done it
Leslie
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this author. This was a most satisfying book. Fantastic twists and turns. ...more
Lynn
Nov 22, 2019 added it
I'm very intrigued at where this story and character are headed. I love how all of Koontz' recent stories have the good guy protagonist who is a little bit bad guy, with a mysterious past. Always a lot of heart wrapped up between the lines. Looking forward to the next one in the series!
April
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've always enjoyed Dean Koontz books. This novella was just as good as expected. I can't wait to read the rest in the series.
Dean Koontz, the author of many #1 New York Times bestsellers, has been acknowledged as "America's most popular suspense novelist" by Rolling Stone. He lives in Southern California with his wife, Gerda, and their golden retriever, Elsa.

• Once Night Falls
  • Play Dirty
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • The Zombie Room
  • The Elephant Tree
  • In the Unlikely Event
  • Dirty Letters
  • Magic Hour
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
  • I Am Pilgrim
  • Watchmen
  • Black Rock Bay
  • Summer Frost
  • Ark
  • The Last Conversation
  • Emergency Skin
  • You Have Arrived at Your Destination
  • If You Tell: A True Story of Murder, Family Secrets, and the Unbreakable Bond of Sisterhood

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the