Start by marking “Call Me God: The Untold Story of the DC Sniper Investigation” as Want to Read:
Call Me God: The Untold Story of the DC Sniper Investigation

Call Me God: The Untold Story of the DC Sniper Investigation

Wednesday, October 2, 2002.
Aspen Hill, Maryland. Northgate Plaza.
5:20 PM.

Inside Michael’s craft supply store, cashier Ann Chapman rings up another customer. Then it happens. A loud crack; a gust of wind; the light in register five goes dark.

Over the next 23 days, the entire DC area will be thrust into a reign of terror unprecedented in A
Audible Audio, 8 pages
Published October 24th 2019 by Audible Original

To ask other readers questions about Call Me God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Call Me God

Start your review of Call Me God: The Untold Story of the DC Sniper Investigation
Natasha Niezgoda
LISTEN TO THIS NOW!

October 2002. Maryland, Virginia, and Washington DC.

Today, we’re talking about the DC Sniper. Thank you to Audible (Audible Ambassador) for this insane retelling. 😨

description

In the wake of the 9/11 attacks, more fear plagued the East Coast. A series of coordinated shootings took place over a 3 week period of time.

These shootings claimed 10 lives and wounded 3 more. The victims were arbitrary. The intent was totime.
These
Toya
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG! Y'all need to listen to this book ASAP!

I am not generally a true crime fan, but I was utterly captivated by this story. I remember hearing about the DC sniper case in the news when I was in high school, but I was ignorant to the sheer amount of tragedy and chaos that these two individuals unleashed on the DC area.

This story provides so much detail surrounding the investigation, tracking down the gunmen, as well as a look into their psyche. I was floored by the sheer amount of information
Jen
Shelves: audiobooks
Audible did a great job on this "book." It's not really a book in the classic sense. It's really a podcast that they kept for their own platform. But it is excellent - with many interviews with investigators, family members of victims, and other key people involved in the DC Sniper events. There was a lot of new information that I had never heard before and I especially enjoyed hearing my co-workers (I work in federal law enforcement in the DC region) explain their part in the investigation. ...more
Jenna Bookish
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My thanks to Audible for sending me an advance copy of this audio book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own and are not influenced by the publisher.

Audible always knows how to use the audio format to its full potential, and that’s really exemplified in this audio book, bringing the first hand accounts of people directly impacted by the DC sniper and those who helped investigate the case directly to the listener. I’ve said before on this blog that I have a hard time with som
Jessica
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
On October 2, 2002 shots rang out outside a Michael’s craft store in Aspen Hill, Maryland. These events would spark a twenty-three day reign of terror throughout Maryland and Virginia as residents feared for a killer known as the D.C. Sniper. Random attacks throughout the region at everyday places like hardware stores and gas pumps put citizens in fear for their lives. This is the story of the turbulent investigation that brought down John Allen Muhammad and Lee Boyd Malvo.

CALL ME GO
Renee (itsbooktalk)
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Calling all true crime fans, if this audiobook isn’t on your must listen tbr, it needs to be! There’s something very exciting happening in the audiobook world and @audible seems to be at the forefront with what I feel is some of the best produced true crime audiobooks out there. Call Me God: The Untold Story of the DC Sniper Investigation is by Jim and Tim Clemente (former FBI agents) and chronicles the DC sniper case from beginning to end. I will admit I didn’t remember much about this case whi ...more
Melanie Lewis
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible-books
I remember the DC Sniper killings but I don't think I had comprehended quite how long the city was held hostage. Hearing first hand accounts from survivors, the loved ones of victims, police and FBI officers was extremely powerful and frequently heart breaking. To discover how the pair had ended up together, what drove them to commit such heinous crimes and other such facts was incredibly frustrating as maybe there were missed opportunities to stop them along the road they finally took. Both Jim ...more
Kimberly Russell
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, audio
I've always liked true crime. Even back when it was a bit taboo to talk about and not nearly as mainstream. I remember coming home from school and watching the news every night with my dad when this was happening. It was so terrifying to me and not something I could even wrap my mind around. As an adult I had a co worker who lived in the area and hearing her firsthand account of what it was like was intense.

This audio book is told from many perspectives: the investigators, prosecutors, and even
Diane Bean
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, really well done. Took me back to the fall of 2002 and all of the horror and uncertainty, and provided inside information on the investigation and many additional facts that I either didn't know or had forgotten. I realize this is from the viewpoint of certain investigators and therefore others may have different thoughts, but a good number of people were interviewed in this audio production. In fact, there were so many that I almost deducted a star because I had difficulty in remembering a ...more
Nicole
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an incredibly comprehensive audiobook. The most impactful part of this book for me was hearing the story straight from the victims’ families and friends. It added another layer, a much more personal one where I felt a small amount of the pain they must be constantly enduring for the rest of their lives. Hearing from many of them after Muhammad’s execution was also interesting. I felt this book was easy to follow, especially if you’re someone who is just getting into true crime. I highly rec ...more
Samuel
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this, I recall the events as they unfolded in the news, I was curious to know what had gone on that the news wasn't able to cover and it was quite a bit. I also remember a few details differently for instance I remember it being Al Qaeda inspired not merely an angry disposed man.

I did not care for the over the top music, it had a TV serial killer documentary quality to it that rubbed me the wrong way, but that aside I enjoyed learning the full story of the DC sniper.
Gabe
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic. I was vaguely aware of the DC sniper. I knew it was an African American man (turns out it was two), and he (they) was randomly killing people in DC. I had no idea how terrifying the ordeal was for the DC/Pennsylvania/Maryland/Virginia area. They basically shut the city down for 3 weeks. The audio was engaging and intriguing- with background of all the victims and the environment the shooters created. I would highly recommend.
Päivi Metsäniemi
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a real life story of a 2002 sniper incident and investigation, and as such it was extremely interesting, and the production is excellent. But it leaves too many questions unanswered. What is the society in which this can happen? No-one mentioned the gun laws at all, it is just taken for granted that these kinds of things happen. I loved the interviews, but could have survived without an eyewitness report of the execution (pun intended) of the death penalty...
Michael Harry
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Okay I guess. The story was fascinating and I remember being gripped when it was happening. It was good to hear from investigators and families of the victims. I would have liked the opinions of Sherrif Moose though because he was thoroughly criticised here.

The audbile book was converted from a tv format and perhaps should have been edited to erase some of that repetitive "coming up next" kind of structure.

It was a decent audio book
Sean O'Hara
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is really a podcast that Audible has packaged together as an audiobook, which is why there's no print edition available anywhere. But as a podcast, it's fantastic. I'd take a half-point off because it focuses entirely on the FBI side of the investigation while mostly ignoring the MD state police side, but given how incompetent Chief Moose was, it's not a great loss.
Julianne
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was so good! I couldn’t get enough! I lived in the DMV during the spree but I was only in 4th grade so my memories consist of being hurried into school by teachers and seemingly endless indoor recess. This story had details I never knew and was so interesting.

I loved hearing from the investigators and the families of the victims. Such a crazy story! I only wish they had be caught sooner!
Alexandra Garilli
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This was insane! In 2002 I was 5. And I lived in Maryland, and I was not that far away from all this. My grandmother had told me stories of at a time, she had to duck behind her car getting gas bc/ there was someone shoot people. When this book came out, I didn’t know what is was about. But I like documentaries, so I got it.
It’s good. I recommend it.
Olivia
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved how this audiobook used real recordings of victims and investigators instead of just a narrator reading quotations. It made it feel like I was listening to a documentary rather than just a normal audiobook. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in psychology, history, or true crime.
Emily Olsen
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This audiobook sounds more like a podcast series, which was really interesting in its own right. I thought that style worked very well with the story and managing all the voices involved. This is a really fascinating look into the investigative work that went into capturing the DC snipers.
Tim Williams
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I remember the DC Sniper in the news but this audible original dove deep into every detail and it was heartbreakingly fascinating. It was told from first hand accounts from the people that worked the case and the victims’ surviving family members (in addition to the narrator). For fans of Dateline and podcasts like Serial.
Brad
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
Amazing. Absolutely amazing. Having lived near this area back in 2002, I remember these events vividly.

This is a great personal look at the people behind the scenes of this crime spree.

Highest recommendation
Tim Gillen
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found this to be captivating. Presented well, this narrative presents multiple sides of the DC sniper event, examining the events precluding these horrific episodes, the crimes themselves, and the aftermath following.
danielle
This was really good. It reminded me of the type of Investigative Reporter shows on TV that I used to watch a lot. It definitely has that type of feel to it since they incorporated recordings from the past having to do with the investigation.
Jackie Tebbe
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nicely done story telling from Audible.
Hillary
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
*4.5 stars*
Heather-Lin
Nov 04, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: obscure
I may or may not be able to request this through the library system, as there's only one edition and it's an audible exclusive.
Rachelle Puzzitiello
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Listens like a podcast with audio clips and interviews. Great listen for fans of true crime docs.
Donovan Maguigan
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing audiobook and oral history of this terrible tragedy. Very captivating to listen to.
Camilla
Completely engrossing
Ruth Fabiano
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really good, although some of the timeline is hard to reconcile and some of the info is a bit superfluous. Also I think this was definitely terror.

• Midnight Son
  • My Lost Family
  • Body Of Proof
  • You Can Thank Me Later: A Novella
  • Evil Has A Name: The Untold Story of the Golden State Killer Investigation
  • Twisted: The Story of Larry Nassar and the Women Who Took Him Down
  • The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of September 11, 2001
  • Chase Darkness with Me: How One True-Crime Writer Started Solving Murders
  • The Sisters (Cormac Reilly, #.5)
  • I Survived the Japanese Tsunami, 2011 (I Survived, #8)
  • Ceremonial Violence: Understanding Columbine and Other School Rampage Shootings
  • Wild Game: My Mother, Her Lover, and Me
  • Consciousness, Aging and the New Millennium and An Evening with Ram Dass
  • Jukebox Joyride
  • Still Here: Embracing Aging, Changing and Dying
  • Camp Red Moon
  • Holy Warrior (Longsword, #3)