Start by marking “Väikesed trollid ja suur veeuputus” as Want to Read:
Väikesed trollid ja suur veeuputus

Väikesed trollid ja suur veeuputus

(Mumintrollen #1)

"Kõige esimene muumiraamat! Ja nüüd esmakordselt eesti keeles! Lugu sellest, kuidas muumipere leiab Muumioru ja kuidas kõik muumide seiklused alguse saavad.

On augustikuu lõpp. Muumipapa on läinud oma perele talveks ulualust otsima ning selle käigus kuhugi ära kadunud. Muumimamma ja Muumitroll asuvad papa jälgi ajama. Samal ajal leiab aset suur veeuputus.

Tove Jansson ei
Hardcover, Estonian, 64 pages
Published September 27th 2019 by Hea Lugu (first published 1945)

Start your review of Väikesed trollid ja suur veeuputus
karen
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i got this wonderful book from connor for my birrrtthhddaaayyy!!!

and it is yet another book that is beautiful enough that even had its contents been crappy, i would still love just to hold it and heft it and appreciate the texture and weight of it. it is from a small publisher whose motto is "publish few but wonderful books."

see for yourself:

this is the first ever moomin book, published in 1945. it was out of print for forever, then reprinted in 1991, and then
Hannah Greendale
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade, fantasy

A playful introduction to the world of moomins, replete with charming illustrations.

MischaS_
Jan 09, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: czech, childhood
I know that I'm going to sound strange, but as a kid, I was terrified of moomins! And my mum always kept reading it to me. And it terrified me! ...more
Emily
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: second-childhood
On no account should anyone trying Tove Jansson for the first time start with this book, the original Moomin story, published in 1945 and recently translated into English for the very first time. Because of course there's a reason why it was untranslated all these years (and, additionally, out of print in the original Swedish); it's just not that good. The art work is charming, but the story, which is quite short, is just kind of random, helterskelter, and unsatisfying. That being said, it's a ...more
Manybooks
When I was a child and read Tove Jansson's evocative and adventurous tale of how a comet threatens the Moomins and their valley (Comet in Moominland, although I actually read it in German), I was rather annoyed and frustrated with and by the fact that while there were all these textual allusions and hints at the beginning of Comet in Moominland of there having previously been a massive flooding, the novel where this so-called Great Flood occurs had never been translated from its original Swedish ...more
Veronique
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stars-4-0, 2018
I had heard of Tove Jansson and her Moomins, but that was pretty much the extent of my knowledge. It was therefore a lovely surprise to discover this fairy tale, featuring Moomintroll and Moominmamma in their search for a place to live and their long lost Moominpappa.

The writing is simple but not devoid of lyricism. Being a translation, I can but wonder at how the original text feels, and if this is even more pronounced. The story follows a ‘typical’ search with mini adventures punctuating the
Rebecca McNutt
To be honest, I've never really thought much of reading or watching anything from the Moomin series until I bought this book. It's not that I didn't think I would like it, but in spite of the huge fan culture surrounding it, it was a series which just kept slipping my mind. I also had no idea that it was as old as it was. I had always assumed it was a product of the 1980's, but it turns out its roots go much earlier. The Moomins and the Great Flood was, from my understanding, from the 1940's.

Robert
Dec 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I loves me some Moomins!
This is the original story, coming in 1945 before the comic strip or the first of the famous novels, Comet in Moominland. It has none of the satire of either of the former but it does have the same bizarre, delightful, magical world of strange creatures and peculiar adventures, featuring everybody's favourite troll family. Speaking of delightful, Jansson's illustrations are as wonderful and playful as you would expect. This edition is an inexpensive fairly large format
Hilary
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Moomin fans
We loved reading this first moomin book again. Lovely to see the first tentative drawings of the moomins. We were really shocked how this book must have hugely influenced Roald Dahl, this story pre dates charlie and the chocolate factory but has too many similarities to be a coincidence.
Bam cooks the books ;-)
#2016-aty-reading-challenge-week-30: A fairytale from a culture other than your own.

The first of the Moomin fairytales by the Scandinavian author, Tove Jansson, is quite charming. Moomintroll and his mama set off on an odyssey to find a nice sunny place where they can build a house. Along the way, they make new friends, face dangers and reunite with Moominpappa. A timeless children's classic.
Michael
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember Moomintroll from TV adaptations and Jackanory readings from when I was a child, but I've never read any of Jansson's Moomin stories until now. I liked it!

The story has its interesting points, but what makes this book for me are Jansson's illustrations - very strange, phantasmagorical and other-worldly.

The slim story is a series of episodes in the journey made by Moomintroll and Moominmamma, searching for the missing Moominpappa who, for no good reason that I can discern, has left his
Smitha Murthy
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, children
Awww, I hadn't even known of the existence of Moomins until yesterday. These are short, delightful reads - I wish mine was an illustrated one, though!
Kirsty
As with all of Tove Jansson's work, The Moomins and the Great Flood is an absolute delight. I chose to reread it during the summer, and gloried once more in its beautiful illustrations, and its inventive story. The artwork here is both whimsical and dark, and sets the tone wonderfully. Immersive and glorious.
evelina
As someone who grew up in Sweden, the Moomins have always been a part of my childhood. I watched the TV series with my parents because they were a bit too scary sometimes. I went to the library to borrow the computer games and sat in our closet, building ice castles with Moomin. I ate my cereal with a moomin-spoon, actually I still do. Even my wallet has Moomins on it. But I realised that I never read the books, therefore I decided that I should read them.

This is the first in the series and
Girl with her Head in a Book
For my full review: http://girlwithherheadinabook.co.uk/2...

2017 has been the year of my Moomins Renaissance , inspired in no small part by my visit to the exhibition in the Southbank Centre which really helped to put the background mythology of the series into context. Like all of the best literature written for children, it can be just as easily enjoyed by adults. As long as you can actually get hold of it of course - despite being the first story written,The Moomins and the Great Floodwas not
Antonomasia
Read now because of the blog event Women in Translation Month.

I don't really know Moomin characters like many of you do: I didn't see a Moomin book until the age of 7 or 8 (and remember realising these were the Moomin things some of the other kids had been talking about) By then, they looked a bit 'babyish'. I read the then-available books very quickly and often once only.

So reading this - recently translated to English for the first time - I had little to no idea of how different the
Katja
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite being a massive Moonin fan when I was a kid, for some reason I never ended up reading the books. I'm trying to fix that now. And what's a better start than the first Moomin book ever?

The Moomins and the Great Flood is a short story of Moomintroll and Moominmamma searching for Moominpappa, who's gone off adventuring with Hattifatteners. Along their journey, Moomintroll and Moominmamma meet curious creatures and persons, and find themselves in scary as well as in peculiar places. Tove's
Clemence
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I happily started the Moomins serie! It is adorable and so so nice to just get to know their story and adventures!
I'm looking forward to reading the following books for I know they're going to be happy reads
A.E. Shaw
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013

I know I tried to read the Moomin stories when I was little, but something about them felt very bleak, and very scary, and I just couldn't. And then the TV series really gave me the fear. It wasn't until I went and spent a considerable amount of time in Finland and Sweden that I thought I ought to give them another go, for they are so very beloved, even by my nearest and dearest, and still I'd refused to read them. So, after watching the lovely, lovely BBC4 documentary about Tove Jansson the
Stephen Curran
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aside from hazy memories of the animations being on television when I was a child, I am a new arrival in Moominland. I read elsewhere that even though The Moomins and the Great Flood is the first book in the series, it is not recommended as an introduction: the main characters arriving fully formed later on. This was the first story to be written but the last to be translated into English. Nevertheless, I was won over.

Given that it was written in 1945, it is perhaps unsurprising that it is a
Mathew
Tove Jansson's first novel for children, published in '45 carries with it the sense of tension and foreboding that she herself felt at the dawn of war. Moominmamma and Moomintroll enter the dark wood in the hope of finding a new home and some sunlight. Their journey takes them to some magical places where they meet some wonderfully original and vivid creatures until they hear word that Moomintroll's father, who had gone missing, may be close by. This story powerfully evokes a sense of danger and ...more
Nicole
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Miyazaki fans
Delightful, charmingly illustrated little story. The first time I was introduced to Moomins was by a uni friend only about 5 years ago. I watched one episode and thought it was bizarre, a little scary and intriguing. After that brief introduction, I thought I'd look into this Moomins fairytale and I can't help but feel a little sad that Moomins were not part of my childhood. Like a Scandinavian Miyazaki, Tove Jansson's Moomin characters and world feel both real and fanciful. Though simple in ...more
Krista Baetiong Tungol
This tells the great adventure of two Moomins, Moominmamma and her child Moomintroll, as they search for Moominpappa and a warm place to build their home. They meet new friends, small creature and Tulippa, who decide to come with them on their journey and help carry out daring exploits at the heart of a great flood.

This is a very creative and enjoyable children’s story, even stirring a few memories of my own whimsical juvenile adventures. Too bad I haven’t heard of the Moomins when I was a kid.
Sem
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exquisite in every way - the feel of it in my hands, the illustrations (pen and ink as well as beautiful sepia washes), the slender and rather endearing noses of these early versions of Moominmamma and Moomintroll, the quest for Moominpappa, the endpapers, the design. Also a steal at half the cover price.
Zoe
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love Moomin since I was a child and decided to re-read the books. This brought back so many memories and I thoroughly enjoyed this quick read!
Wreade1872
Delightfully odd children's story. Just dark enough to be engaging. I don't normally like things this random but it rides that fine line between absurd and compelling.
Fi's Journey
The Moomins and the Great Flood is a sweet and beautiful story.

I like the set of characters and creatures in it.

This story is about Moomintroll and his mother and how they journey across land and sea to find essentially Moominpapa (their father). But along their way they meet other creatures - some becoming friends while others are just helping them out (which is a nice thing to do!). I loved seeing their journey and all the things they got to see.

I'm definitely continuing on with the series
Veera
Such a cute and heartwarming book. I adore the fact that it had illustrations thorough the story, it made the reading experience much more enjoyable. I wanted to read the book in it's original language, Swedish, since I know the basics of the language. Luckily I got thorough the book without problems and enjoyed it!
Kate
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short children’s book. The Moomins are made up creatures and this is the story of Mama and Troll’s attempts to find Moominpapa and the adventures that they get up to along the way.
Winter
Nov 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read
3,5 Stars
Around the Year i...: The Moomins and the Great Flood, by Tove Jansson 1 14 Oct 02, 2016 02:31PM

• Tiitiäisen satupuu
  • الفأرة البيضاء
  • الراعي الشجاع
  • Tove Jansson: sanat, kuvat, elämä
  • Koiramäen talossa (Koiramäki, #1)
  • Nalle Puh
  • Ronia, the Robber's Daughter
  • Tove Jansson: Tee työtä ja rakasta
  • Опасное лето (Муми-тролли. Любимые истории Туве Янссон в новом переводе)
  • Englantilainen romanssi
  • Kalle Blomquist (#1-3)
  • Sydän
  • Kauheimmat joululaulut: ja muita runoja talven juhliin
  • Kenraaliharjoitus
  • Sininen muistikirja
  • Auringon asema
  • Lõpmatus. Esimene kevad
  • Rakas, tiesitkö että olen psykopaatti
Tove Jansson was born and died in Helsinki, Finland. As a Finnish citizen whose mother tongue was Swedish, she was part of the Swedish-speaking Finns minority. Thus, all her books were originally written in Swedish.

Although known first and foremost as an author, Tove Jansson considered her careers as author and painter to be of equal importance.

Tove Jansson wrote and illustrated her first Moomin

Mumintrollen (9 books)
  • Comet in Moominland (The Moomins, #2)
  • Finn Family Moomintroll (The Moomins, #3)
  • Moominpappa's Memoirs (The Moomins, #4)
  • Moominsummer Madness (The Moomins, #5)
  • Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)
  • Tales from Moominvalley (The Moomins, #7)
  • Moominpappa at Sea (The Moomins, #8)
  • Moominvalley in November (The Moomins, #9)