Start by marking “Knife & Death (James Hardy #1)” as Want to Read:
Knife & Death (James Hardy #1)

Knife & Death

(James Hardy #1)

Detective James Hardy's life goes into a tail-spin when he learns a body discovered floating in the River Thames is that of a friend. Hardy is now in a race against time.

The victim's flat-mate is a potential witness to the crime. On-the-run for her life, Hardy must track her down before the killer does.

With his family under threat and his personal life under scrutiny,
Published September 2019

To ask other readers questions about Knife & Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knife & Death

Start your review of Knife & Death (James Hardy #1)
Pauline Margaret Dean
Knife and Death

New author for me but what a storyline was hooked from the first page.Normally takes a while for me to take to new characters no problem with DCI Hardy and supporting cast absolutely brilliant going to order the next one NOW.
Rita
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this non-stop thriller. It was full of twists and turns throughout the book. It is full of surprises that are shocking. I really loved the main characters and how they related to each other. I want to read more from this series which continues on. The author describes the scenes in such a way that you can feel the emotions that the character's are going through. I was glad to be able to read this book!
karin whitehead
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book through another authors promotion in exchange for an honest review. DID Harry is assigned a murder case that troubles him deeply as he knows the woman. The author Jay Gill writes with a style that drags you inside the pages of his story. The characters are well developed, very well done. It's a story I won't soon forget. Plenty of jarring twists,be ready for the ride!
Annette Sullivan
Very well done

I did enjoy this book very much, I found the authour knows how to build anxiety and fear swiftly. Yet can also deftly detail the downfall of the criminal in a way that had me cheering the good guy on. Well written, intense and yet so very readable you won’t want to put it down till finished.
Karin
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mentor is an experienced and trusted adviser. James needs to watch his back. I enjoyed the story even though it was a little rough and recommend the book..
Lesley
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not my usual genre but I enjoyed it, it's intriguing, once I got used the writing style, I like that you get every pov. Looking forward to A Walk In The Park
John Roach,
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. Enjoyed every minute of this book.
Ann Walker
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
New author for me!

I have just finished this book and thank the author for this gift. I Can see that I shall be reading the next in this series good read.
Graham Hall
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
New read.

Needed something different to read. Saw this book suggested and decided to give it a go. I was pleasantly surprised with the storyline and believable characters. I read this book in two days! I am now about to start the next in the series. I strongly recommend this author.
janice robertson
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Knife and Death. A Hardy crime thriller

Four stars for this second edition in these crime that I have found the story line quite easy to read so looking forward to next one hoping I can give it five
HW
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this fast paced crime thriller. Fantastic story loved the characters, well thought out and well executed (no pun intended). Two interwoven stories, also a small amount of humour, which I liked. Can't wait for next book, will be looking for more books by this author.
Lora
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Smart Police Procedural

DCI Hardy is a smart detective and a compassionate man. It’s nice to read a book that rounds out the protagonist character so well. I really liked him and his little family. I like that he struggles with work/life balance. Because he is always dealing with tough cases and serial killers, sometimes more than one at a time, that is tough to do.

The crimes and criminals were well plotted and the author did a good job of giving us some of the prospective from the criminals.
Ted Tayler
"A mixed bag"

Gruesome murders, the sexual exploitation of trafficked East European females, drugs, torture and all manner of evil. The ingredients were there for a fast-paced, realistic modern thriller. Why did I keep thinking it had been written with one tongue firmly planted in the cheek? The writing style was so flippant and juvenile at times that it left me totally unconvinced. Not for me.
Jane Blanchard
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jay Gill’s suspenseful detective novel Knife & Death will keep you turning the pages to find out who the killer is and if Detective Chief Inspector James Hardy can find the murderer in time to save his family.

This was my first Jay Gill book, but it will not be my last. He has the ability to grab the reader’s attention and not let it waiver. If you like a gripping, intense, detective-solving mystery, don’t miss this one.
SUE
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really really enjoyed this new detective and author .
am looking forward to getting to know him and his team in the next episode .. there was 1 unanswered mystery in knife and death that left me hanging x I cant put it up here as it would be a spoiler all on all a great start apart from that 1 blip
Mrs H Redmile
Apr 18, 2018
Lynne Hutchinson
Apr 25, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Secret Fear: A Gripping Detective Crime Mystery (The DI Hogarth Secret Fear Series Book 1)
  • Death Report (The Sergeant Brad Braun Series, #1)
  • The Last Line Box Set (The Last Line Conspiracy, #1-2)
  • Wrong Place, Wrong Time (DS James Ripley, #1)
  • Shifting Skin (DI Jon Spicer, #2)
  • Bad To The Bones (Evan Buckley #1)
  • Harder They Fall: Harder They Fall Private Investigator Crime Thriller Series
  • One Last Prayer for the Rays (DCI Michael Yorke, #1)
  • Dig Two Graves (Detective Solomon Gray #1)
  • The Innocent and the Dead: gripping Scottish crime fiction (The DI Jack Knox mysteries Book 1)
  • Murder at Flood Tide: detectives hunt a killer on Edinburgh's streets (The DI Jack Knox mysteries Book 2)
  • The Darkest Lies (DI Hogarth Darkest Series, #1)
  • Moorings (DI Tanner #3)
  • Expiry Date: a gripping crime thriller (DI Alec McKay Book 4)
  • The Missing Nurse (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries #1)
  • The Diamond Murder (Eric Ward #4)
  • St. Benet's (DI Tanner #2)
  • Walking Into Murder (Professor Laura Morland Mystery, #1)
Jay Gill was born in Poole, Dorset, United Kingdom. At aged 18, Jay moved to London where he worked in the printing industry, specialising in pharmaceutical leaflets and packaging. After years of commuting and working in this fast-paced environment, Jay moved back to Dorset with his family to enjoy the slower pace of life on the south coast. It was at this point that he carved out time to develop ...more

James Hardy (4 books)
  • Angels (James Hardy #2)
  • Hard Truth (James Hardy #3)
  • Inferno (James Hardy #4)