Start by marking “The Ugly Dukeling (Cosmic Fairy Tales)” as Want to Read:
The Ugly Dukeling (Cosmic Fairy Tales)

The Ugly Dukeling (Cosmic Fairy Tales)

No one ruffled Cisnetta Fowler’s feathers like Major Atrates Geswin, the infamous Ugly Dukeling. Her first glimpse of the handsome alien hybrid had her dismissing his crass moniker, until his abrasive attitude proved the gossip to be true. He was an arse, but an arse that she both needed and wanted. Thankfully, Cisnetta was one tough bird who never turned-tail and ran. ...more
Published October 22nd 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Ugly Dukeling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ugly Dukeling

Start your review of The Ugly Dukeling (Cosmic Fairy Tales)
Tiffany Roberts
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lovely, fun, sweet read with a historical flair that had me smiling almost the entire time! Cisnetta was a wonderful woman, so understanding and patient, and perfect for Atrates. As for Atrates, our hero, I adored the foul tempered, possessive, insecure man. And his relationship with with Cobbs, Cisnetta's pet swan, was just hilarious. Wonderful writing, and amazing world-building, especially for a shorter read. And the heat between the hero and heroine was through the roof! Loved it!
Charlotte
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*WARNING* contains sexual content
I think the the fairytale of the "Ugly Duckling" and this one are really nothing alike, although, I believes the moral is the same, but you should read it and judge for yourself. This is definitely different with the frenesia concept (not telling what that is). Genetically modified beings traded for technology. All things sci-fi, not to wordy and of course an HEA for the perfect SFR.
Sofia
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Don't get me wrong, it's a cute story, but the plot was so choppy. The introduction we are given to the world this story is set in wasn't clear to me and seemed all over the place. There was no clear cut sentence telling me the backstory of this world and that ruined some of the story. I also didn't understand some of the plot line involving certain characters within the story.

All in all, two stars.
Jannie Cv
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fairytale fantasy!
This story just doesn’t want to be stuck in a single category. It’s fairytale, with sci-fi setting, in a country firmly ensconced in days of yore. I adore our broody hero and his helpful, rescuing lady-love. The quirky, humorous phrasing tickles my fancy. The word-play is fun!
There are many allusions to the Ugly Duckling fairytale, but this is a unique story that delivers the same moral message. Colorful, witty, and thoroughly enjoyable!
Serena Buffaloe
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not Ugly , just different !!

This is the 3rd book in this Cosmic Fairytales series that I have read. They have all been exceptional , and this book is no exception !!
In this story , we have an " ugly " hybrid Atrates, who is the 1st born s
Son of the Duke. This Duke only really wanted the technology that was promised by integrating Atrates into his family . So , just as soon as he received this tech , he divorced the Duchess, and his New duchesses son became the heir !! Poor Atrates , and
Lisa Anderson
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a great story and mash-up! I was provided an ARC for an honest review.

When I learned of the Cosmic Fairy Tales, and Fairy tale/Alien mash-up idea, I was really intrigued to see how the author would pull off this well known story with the Alien twist, and she does not disappoint. By taking these familiar tropes and crafting something completely new, and something so good is truly the mark of an amazing storyteller. I will admit that I could not put this book down until I reached
Nancy
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh, how I loved this book! Major Atrates Geswin, who's second-in-line to be duke, is quite a grumpy curmudgeon. Atrates is an alien hybrid, a halfling, who is scorned by his regal father. He's called home, as the old man is on his deathbed. Atrates would rather be as far from the estate as possible when he, literally, runs into the beautiful and vexing Cisnetta. Cisnetta Fowler is in the employ of Trone, Atrates' brother. She is the protector of abused women and the owner of one very unruly blac ...more
Ronika
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
So this book was such a great retelling of a great fairy tale! I loved the imperfection (mostly their own perception) of both the hero and the heroine! They are perfectly imperfect in every way! Atrates (What a name right?!?!) has been dismissed his whole life as imperfect and as a result has become bitter and angry. Cisnetta Fowler is a caretaker/savvy business woman who has also been treated horribly for things that have nothing to do with her ability to help Atrates's brother and run a women' ...more
Marina Simcoe
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I simply adore the way the author skillfully blended the charm of a historical romance into this clearly Science-Fiction story. It was something I've never seen done before, and wouldn't have expected to work, but the result is amazing!
The characters felt alive. Atrates—strong and even brutish, yes so very vulnerable, my heart broke for him. And Gisnetta—practical, level-headed, and with a difficult past herself.
The sex scenes were superbly crafted, leaving me hot and bothered and in
Sabrina
5 UGLY-NOT-SO-UGLY STARS!!

I just LOVE Fairy tales retellings and much more when there is a reverse character!

To take such dear fairy tale and give it a new spin AND make it a sci-fy romance....that takes great imagination and talent!!

Bex gifted us with Atrates and Cisnetta’s story where they both have to fight the hurt and damage done to them in the past.
Atrates is the epitome of a damaged hero but the one that takes the glory is Cisnetta (IMHO), she is so clever, understanding and patient t
Nerdy Housewifey
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Okay

So this was sci fi written like a regency novel. I do not like historical romance and avoid it like the plague so this was not my cup of tea at all. For it reading like a historical novel it was also bogged down by a lot of the sci fi elements. I know those two things seem like they counter each other but I promise it’s true. So much time was spent on the alien race and their agreement etc I feel like the relationship was a rush job. I barely got to know the two main characters and *sna
Lenna
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun and cute

I liked this take on the ugly duckling. It was cute and fun and the characters were very likeable. One thing that was tough was the world building. I had a real hard time understanding what was going on with transfers and the two species and figuring it out with multiple alien names and character names thrown in as I read.

It might've been nice to have a "once upon a time" prologue explaining the aliens, the world they're all on and the transfers as a prologue. The s
Bubbles The Book Pimp
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another fantastic instalment from this creative author.

A blending of historical romance/sci fi romance and fairy tale retelling of the ugly duckling.
I adored the main characters. A was a wonderful gruff protector marshmallow riddled with angst and low self esteem and C was a perfect heroine for him. ♥♥
I really enjoyed this book, it’s another prime example of why this author is one to watch. Filled with originality, charm and wonderful chemistry. This book was unputdownable.
Deanne Taylor
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Have no idea what to call this.....scifi, fantasy, fairytales???? How about we just go with awesomeness for the win???!!
No idea how she does it but this is going to be a world that we need more of, I'm fascinated by these hybrids......need to know more. The side characters intrigued me too!
Atrates and Cisnetta were perfect for a scifi fairytale......nailed this story and left me all happy and satisfied but wanting more too. Perfect way to feel after the end of a great read.
Shasha
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sci-fi romantic fairy tale

I enjoyed this sci-fi twist on the ugly duckling. The low self-esteem worked well for the story.
I was irritated at the redundant descriptions in the beginning but they were short. And the cover model isn't dark enough to match the story.

Read in KU
Jessica
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This felt like an amazingly written balance of Jane Austen meets Scifi Romance. It was a beautiful story that not only touched my heart, it make me laugh out loud and had me smiling as I read the ending. I absolutely loved it!
Andie
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful as always

Bex McLynn is one if my favorites. Loved this fairy tale, and as always her humor. Her world building is one of my favorites, she creates these amazing worlds, that appear in color in ones mind.
Sharon Gillman
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loving the pet swan

I have to admit I struggled at first to get into the lingo/pace of this remarkable tale as I'm unaccustomed to regency romances. But after my initial struggles the story flowed and drew me in page after page. Too soon the book ended with me wishing for more.
Carolyn
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Utterly delightful

Her characters are always a rare treat but the cantankerous swan stole my heart. Do yourself a favor and put McLynn on auto purchase. I don't think she's got a bad book in her.
Lillianne Arai
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sweet

This was a good story. I didn’t get that many similarities to the ugly duckling but it was interesting the way it played out. I don’t have a great understanding of the dynamics of their world.
Atlantis Blake
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This retelling is so awesome, I enjoy reading it very much. Couldn't put the book down. I've always loved the way Bex writes and hope to read more of her books. I've enjoyed reading all of her books and I add this one to my reread list. I can't wait for more of her books. I'm so excited!
Linda
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
3,75
Lisa Book Shelf
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Swan

This is a cute and hot fairytale based on the ugly duckling story with lessons we can all learn from this book.
Robin
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful version of The Ugly Duckling fairytale. I love the character of Cissnetta who's reactions to situations is fresh and Atrates is tough and grumpy but with hidden depths. And then there is Cobbs (and what can you say about that!) All in all, a great read for fans of syfy romance and fans of fairytales. Enjoy!
Danielle
Oct 26, 2019
Nichole Hickman
Oct 29, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Jackie and the Giant (Cosmic Fairy Tales)
  • Contaminated (Cosmic Fairy Tales)
  • Rampion (Cosmic Fairy Tales)
  • The Lion and the Mouse (Cosmic Fairy Tales)
  • The Hunchback (Cosmic Fairy Tales)
  • Escaping Wonderland (Cosmic Fairy Tales)
  • The Frog Prince (Cosmic Fairy Tales)
  • Werewolf Cinderella
  • The Warlock's Kiss
  • Callie's Catastrophe (Icehome, #9)
  • Alien Alliance (Alien Invasion, #4)
  • Red
  • Nadine's Champion (Icehome, #8)
  • When She's Ready
  • Dark Matters (Class 5, #4)
  • Centurion (Galactic Gladiators: House of Rone, #3)
  • Xul (Captured by Aliens #1)
  • Fractured Souls (Darkstar Mercenaries, #3)
Bex loves to read all kinds of romance: science fiction, shifter, fantasy, regency, contemporary...(Seriously, all of it!) Currently she writes SFR and Fantasy/PNR. Her writing style—a mixture of action, humor, tenderness, and heat—features worlds and characters that captivate her readers.