Start by marking “The Queen’s Advantage (Rogue Queen, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Queen’s Advantage (Rogue Queen, #2)

The Queen’s Advantage

(Rogue Queen #2)

6 hours

When Queen Samara Rani decides to repay her debt to Emperor Valentin Kos by rooting out the traitors in his court, she knows his advisors will despise her presence. The unknown traitors hate her because she tricked them out of five million credits, but even his loyal advisors have no use for the queen of rogues and scoundrels.

True to form, Valentin’s advisors want
Audiobook
Published October 8th 2019 by Tantor Audio (first published July 9th 2019)

Start your review of The Queen’s Advantage (Rogue Queen, #2)
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Actual rating: 3.5 stars.

Free online SF serial available here.

It's finished and stuff! It was pretty fairly entertaining and stuff! I shall write a not-so proper review when the Super Extra Polished Version (SEPV) is published and stuff (in July 2019 and stuff). Now toodeloo and stuff.

Yeah yeah yeah, it's true, there is some disgustingly romantic crap stuff in this story. BUT. There is action and stuff gets shot and stuff explodes and there are yummy political machinations and villainous
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read The Queen’s Advantage when it was available on Jessie Mihalik’s blog as a free online serial and I enjoyed it enough that I purchased the final, edited version when it went on sale. The story was officially edited and expanded upon before official publication and I enjoyed the story as much, if not more, the second time around.

Queen Samara Rami promised to help Emperor Valentin Kos figure out the traitors in his court who are trying to have him killed. To fulfil that promise she's
Lola
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
After listening to the first book in this series and enjoying it I decided to listen to book 2 right after it. I think I enjoyed this one even more than book 1. It's filled with action, danger, political intrigue and some romance.

In this book queen Samara Rani goes to the home planet of the Kos empire to help her friend and love interest Emperor Valentin Kos uncover who of his advisers is a traitor and wants him dead. She lands in the middle of political scheming and as soon as she arrives on
Mara
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: futuristic, novella
Mostly a story divided into an ongoing serial rather than a series in itself. It was less noticeable in the first novella, but here I noticed it. And it seemed a little bit flatter too. Probably because intrigue isn't action, so it really does need more details and less black and white, more depth too...

I'm on the fence whether I want to keep reading, even though I like it. We'll see with chunk 3 I guess :)
Airwreckah
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Solid writing

Thoroughly enjoyable with a good protagonist who is not dumb. Romance is good, but no sex, though it is sexyish. Hero is definitely hot but their relationship is natural and built on personalities.
Shanna Matheo
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I really like this series. I just find the books a bit too short.
Saly
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anne - Books of My Heart
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from Publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I really loved Mihalik's Polaris Rising so I had no hesitation in starting this Rogue Queen series. These shorter books began as a free online serial on the author's website. The feel is similar to Polaris Rising. It is set in space with various factions, political and action battles between planets and various coalitions.

Samara
Mary B. Grove
one of those books with no ending . . .

...where the story just peters out. The books have major flaws as well, starting with the main character, the Rogue Queen. Supposedly she is this legendary assassin who somehow got elected queen over a constituency that’s mainly refugees and had to learn to care about her people. We never learn anything about just how it was that she became queen, and that makes it harder to believe that her people would have chosen her for the role.

mThen there’s the fact
Kerry
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know the official lengths that divide up shorter works into categories, so I'm going to risk calling this one a novella. It's lovely fun, light and easy and enjoyable and the ending suggests there is more to come. I certainly hope so.

Really, I only have one comment and it's a mild spoiler.

(view spoiler)
Colleen
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Really fantastic! There were almost too many characters in play to keep track of at times. Otherwise, fast paced action packed fun.
Ria
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, sci-fi, novella, space
Love this! Poor Samara and Valentin, I hope they get a break soon though.
Literati Literature Lovers
Good Book, but Rushed.

No space adventures for Samara and Valentin as Samara is paying her debt to Valentin by ferreting our traitors in his empire on his home planet. The author writes a good story, but there is a major flub when it comes to Valentin recounting a story about one of his medals. The way in which explanation is told, it’s as if Samara commented or directly asked about the onyx cross Valentin was wearing. Unfortunately this question or interplay must have been edited out, as
Barbara
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Queen Samara Rani is visiting the court of Emperor Valentin Kos to help him find the traitors that are trying to kill him. She’s a little distracted by the simmering attraction between them, but the sooner she finishes her investigation, the sooner they can get to the good stuff. It doesn’t take long before there’s an attack on them, and the attacks just keep coming, along with vicious rumors and political intrigue. Samara is determined to uncover the traitors and stop the attempts on Valentin’s ...more
Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ}
To my own surprise, I didn't enjoy this as much as the first.

The ending was great, and so was the twisting family relations. But I felt like Samara was being too much of a cliched showoff? It felt way overused in this one. I didn't really like several moments (i.e. when she was deliberately manipulating Valentin's fellows to help figure out the traitor, when she shoots a spoon (or was it a fork) and possibly the ceiling, going to the seediest bar to get information etc). I didn't like it because
Suzanne
The books in this series begin as serials posted on the author’s blog. I I really enjoyed reading the first in the series, but this second one seemed lifeless. I’d hoped, without reward, that it would improve when she reworked it before publishing it.

The dialogue often is dull even when it’s about dreadful or thrilling topics, and generally doesn’t sound like normal conversation. (Who TALKS like this? “By fifteen, I was a proficient killer. I earned enough credits to buy my augments and my own
Cat
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good follow up story

Grabbed this immediately after finishing book one. Really enjoy the attention the author gives to all the characters, not just the main couple. Realistic relation development with believable obstacles. Nothing worse than one dimensional characters or ones TSTL. Looking forward to book 3!
Liv
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, sci-fi, assassins
Loved this sequel. Loved the world building and character development (and the palpable chemistry between the main characters). The conspiracy behind the assassination of the emperor was the central overall story arc and the flow of the story followed.

I’d highly recommend this series and this author to anyone who might enjoy actions, sci-fi with a dash of romance.

Kim
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: highest-priority
Just the right combination of sci fi adventure, romance, and political intrigue! I just wish it was longer! Can't wait for the next one, and highly recommend the audiobook version.

My only minor complaint is that the author spends an excessive amount of time on physical descriptions (looks, clothes, etc) at the beginning, but that dies down fairly quickly.
Harmony Williams
This second installment in the series has all the intrigue of the first and answers a lot more questions. I love the progression of the romance between Samara and Valentin and can't wait for the next installment!
Jason
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continues to be a fun adventurous read

This continues to be a fun read and though the ending felt a little rushed the rest of the story was great.

Looking forward to the next installment
Drew Doll
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book

Fast-paced, lots of action, characters I care about. This is another awesome book by Jessie Mihalik. I enjoyed the palace intrigue and the battle scenes. Can't wait for the next in the series.
Joanne Watkins USA
Great

This was a great second story. It is dense with finances and behind the scene intrigue but it kept moving so was engaging. I felt the ending was too rushed - everything suddenly wrapped up but at the same time lots of loose ends.
Linda
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lorie
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked it

It was well written, nicely paced, amusing and I really just enjoyed the action and interactions. I hope more is written in this series.
Tami
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick ok read.

There was a certrain "I tried really hard with the story and characters" feel about this.
To me there was a certain flow missing.
Valéria Alves
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars <3
Yara
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I love these novellas! Can’t wait for the next installment :)
Seantheaussie
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.

• The Wind's Call (The Broken Lands, #4)
  • Mist's Edge (The Broken Lands, #2)
  • Wayfarer's Keep (The Broken Lands, #3)
  • Secrets Bound By Sand (Dragon Ridden Chronicles, #4)
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles, #1)
  • Pathfinder's Way (The Broken Lands, #1)
  • Sapphire Flames (Hidden Legacy, #4)
  • Magic Outside the Box (The Case Files of Henri Davenforth, #3)
  • Emergence (From the Embers Book 1)
  • Tamiko and the Two Janitors (Amaranthine Saga, #3)
  • Magic and the Shinigami Detective (The Case Files of Henri Davenforth, #1)
  • The Witchkin Murders (Magicfall, #1)
  • Protect the Prince (Crown of Shards, #2)
  • Destruction's Ascent (Dragon Ridden Chronicles, #3)
  • Dark Matters (Class 5, #4)
  • Followed by Thunder (Songs of the Amaranthine, #2)
  • Dragon-Ridden (Dragon Ridden Chronicles, #1)
Author of Polaris Rising, a romantic science fiction novel out now from Harper Voyager. For a peek at the first three chapters, visit my website. Aurora Blazing, the second book in the series, arrives in October! The first chapter is available!

Jessie Mihalik has a degree in Computer Science and a love of all things geeky. A software engineer by trade, Jessie now writes full time from her home in

Rogue Queen (2 books)
  • The Queen's Gambit (Rogue Queen, #1)