Start by marking “Girl at Heart” as Want to Read:
Girl at Heart

Girl at Heart

As the daughter of a successful Major League pitcher, Charlie Hastings has baseball in her blood. Unfortunately, being the only girl on her high school baseball team, Charlie has always been just one of the guys.

When her best friend, and secret love of her life, asks another girl to the prom, Charlie is devastated. She’s tired of being overlooked by boys becaus
Published November 4th 2019 by Bluefields

Start your review of Girl at Heart
Jacob Proffitt
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While containing some light, possibly shallow, elements, I was impressed with the emotional depth this story wasn't afraid to plumb. Successfully, I think. There's a strong wish-fulfillment angle with Charlotte's (Charlie) dad. He was a successful MLB player and currently works as some kind of media guy for an MLB team. So they have money. But while he travels with the team and is thus away a lot, he cares for and about her and it's clear she has a real loving home that is above average in every ...more
Lien
3.5 Stars

Very cute YA-book! Great for in-between if you want something light and fluffy that makes you feel good.
Alina
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a clean, adorable romance with mature teens who handled their lives like actual teenagers but were not annoying about it. I loved everyone in the book even the heroine's three obnoxious best friends, who were kind of douchey but what do you expect with teenaged boys. Also I love Jace he is absolutely adorable. I have not read YA in a long time but this was a good jump back into it.

This is not very angsty read BTW! A lot of the times I give 5-star reviews not only because the
Navdha
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
What an easy, fluffy read! I’m not a sports person and didn’t really pick this book up because of baseball. In fact, I didn’t even know there was anything sports related about this book, which I think was a good thing because had I known, I might have pushed it down the list. The characters are likable and the story is very chic flick. Girl is an introvert, doesn’t wear makeup, isn’t popular and has a very small friend circle. Is in love with her best friend but doesn’t wanna ruin their relation ...more
Julianne
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This may very well be my new favorite Kelly Orman book. It was a perfect balance of fluffy YA read with a lot of life lessons throughout. I could not put this down!!
Every character in this book has my heart. I could relate so much to each one of them. I'm a few years removed from being 18 and on the verge of a future that I have very little control over and I thought this book portrayed that change well while also giving the reader a little bit of hope for themselves.

Charlie (the protagon
Lillian
Y’all I know better than to start a Kelly Oram book at bedtime. I know better, yet I do it with every release. The lack of sleep was worth it. Girl at Heart is Kelly Oram's first release in over two years, and it is perfect! I have never picked up one of her books and not had a smile at the end. Girl at Heart broke my heart, put it back together, and reminded me of the sweet butterflies that come with first kisses and first loves.

“As the daughter of a successful Major League pitcher, Charlie Hasting
S B
All the feels

This book had me laughing and crying! The identity crisis Charlie went through was heart breaking. Especially when she got negative comments about it. But she didn't back down from her choices. She stayed the course to figure herself out!
Chad is either the best dad ever, or super obnoxious and refuses to grow up. (Both are true according to Charlie.)
Jace is an absolute sweetheart! I appreciated that his interest in Charlie wasn't a deep rooted love from afar kind of thing. He
Jessie
Squeal!!!

I absolutely loved this book! I checked it out with Kindle Unlimited. By the time I had stayed up too late reading it last night, I knew I had to buy my own copy and send it to a few friends.

Charlie Hastings is the only girl on the high school baseball team and she’s dang good! She has three best friends on the team. When she realizes they’ve all made prom plans without her, she gets offended. Why won’t any of them see her as a girl?! What starts as an identity crisis leads
Lex
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this latest book of Kelly Oram. I missed her writing. This is the reason why I love her books. She is excellent in story telling. She makes it enjoyable, fun, cute, so adorable and the banter! The characters, I love love love the supporting ones. Chad, Leila and Reynolds. They are the best characters in this book. I definitely would recommend this to everyone. It's short read. Just 211 pages. It's fun and honestly, real.

I hated the 3 bffs she got and honestly she can do better.
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
Short, quite bland, and I found it a bit objectionable.

Essentially it was a somewhat clumsy exploration of gender dynamics, with the key message being that blonde girls in short skirts and makeup are the only 'real' girls...

Also, the drama was OTT and the romance was laughably played out, but I finished the book in literally two hours. Win!

[Blog] - [Bookstagram]

Short, quite bland, and I found it a bit objectionable.

[Blog] - [Bookstagram]

photo c l i m b C2A0e v e r y C2A0m o u n t a i n 2_zpsykn9gbgr.png
Hayley Bradshaw
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
K.O. With the KO!

Kelly always knocks it out of the park - but this book. It’s something special. She totally crushed it. It’s not only an adorable and sweet love story, but a true story of self discovery and acceptance that every person on the planet can relate to. I absolutely loved reading then transformation of so many characters and falling in love with all of them!

Charlie is the perfect heroine. She’s smart and funny and honest. She has morals and integrity. She’s talented
Patrícia Costa
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was so much fun to read !
This is the second book I read by Kelly Oram and the author really did not disappoint me. She's an expert at writing really relatable characters.
The issue I have with these YA girly books is that sometimes characters tend to be very annoying. This was not the case AT ALL for this one (seriously I would love it if Jace and Charlie's dad existed in real life).
The only thing I wish was different about this book is that it is so fast paced that I
Todd S Fulton
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A bit predictable

This was a very sweet coming of age story. The main character grappled with learning how to be girly. The supporting characters were decent but not fleshed out or given quite enough page time to feel super real. The main character occasionally came across as a bit childish, but she was in high school. The love interest was pretty classic for this author as she has a talent for writing up dreamy guys. I would cautiously recommend this to others depending on their reading taste.
Vibliophile
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
(5 stars) - Two very enthusiastic thumbs up!

Charlie comes from baseball royalty, but much as she loves the game, she wants more than baseball in her life. Jace is willing to help her, but he's got his own ulterior motives - the state championship... and the chance to spend time with her himself.

This is a sweet and fun YA that makes use of a popular high school sporty trope, but does it really well. Charlie's frustration is understandable, but can her old friends handle Ch
Pascale
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
‘There’s no crying in baseball’? ⚾

It seems that clean romantic sports novellas are the current “in” thing now, especially if they’re about tomboys who are “just one of the boys “. Maggie Dallen, Stephanie Street, Christina Benjamin, and others currently have similar books out as well. I enjoyed this book and I thought it flowed well. The only thing that I found myself rolling my eyes at was that Charlie seemed to be crying constantly. I thought the expression was, “There’s no crying in baseball
Liz
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have a huge weakness for Kelly Oram's writing... she has a way with her writing that takes me away and completely pulls me into a novel. She makes me care about her characters and what happens to them. It doesn't matter what the story is about, it just works very well on me.

Girl at Heart was very cute and fluffy. I enjoyed it even though it was not that special, but it was entertaining nontheless. A bit unrealistic.. and the happy ending was a bit TOO good to be believable... the whole story
Alisa
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fun book! Charlie may seem like a tomboy to the rest of the world (especially her best friends, who are all boys), but she has an inner girly-girl who is dying to come out! She's only been raised by men and she doesn't have any girlfriends - so how does a girl learn to be girly when there's no one around to teach her?

Enter the baseball team captain - Jace. Who doesn't want her to quit the baseball team right before they're going to state (and may have other ulterior motives fo
Melanie Milburn
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a Girl!

If I could have given more stars, I would have. Charlie Hastings is a terrific catcher and would love to play collegiate ball. Her stats are some of the best in the league, but she’s a girl and knows that her chances of playing
collegiate ball are practically nil. Then comes the realization that the guys on her team, especially her three best friends, don’t see her as a girl, just one of the guys. Prom comes up and not only do they make plans not including her, they laugh at the
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Young, Fresh and Fun

I'm so happy to see a new book from Kelly Oram! It was young, fresh and fun. Plus, baseball. I love baseball! I also love how Charlie collects people along her new path of discovery- good people who are kind and supportive. It made me want to be that kind of person too. This story was more than fluff and went a little deeper than many YA, high school books, without ever becoming bogged down or overwhelming. It was the perfect balance and I really loved it. I think my te
Treena
I love cupcakes. For me, a cupcake is my favorite cake topped with great icing in a cute little paper cup. A cupcake is portioned just big enough so that I feel like it's a treat but it's size doesn't make me feel guilty that I'm in indulging in one or two.

This book is a cupcake.

It's sweet. Reading it made me very very happy. It's a quick read but I didn't feel short-changed. And I really loved the MC's.

Sooooo, like I said, it's a cupcake of a love story. And I mean that
Corinne Story
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another grand slam

I'll start by saying I have loved everything Kelly Oram has written. I didnt realize I had missed this one, until I was looking for my next read and stumbled across this one. The character depth and development that is in all of Oram's books, was present again in this one and it felt so real. I really connected with all of the characters and thoroughly enjoyed reading this. I hated it when it was over, and wish there was more. But I also really appreciate that everything i
Kathryn
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've loved everything that I've read of Kelly Oram's and "Girl at Heart" is no different. One thing I loved is that there wasn't the big breakup in the way that you would expect from a teen romance. And while there was the mean girl, she was only around for a little bit. And for once, the female lead stood up to her! I loved all the supporting characters (here's hoping that Leila gets a story of her own once she's away at college!) even though I had a hard time remembering who everyone on the ba ...more
Michael Hobson
Kelly Oram does it again

Girl at Heart is Kelly Oram at her best. It is funny, romantic and heart tugging in all the best ways. The story of how Charlie goes from just one of the boys to bring the girly-girl she is at Heart is told in a fun way. The story pulls you in and makes you not want to stop reading until you've reached then end. Heck, this book almost made baseball, which I consider the second most boring sport after cricket, to be interesting.
Tiffany Olsen
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You'll have a smile on your face as you read this book

As usual, I love this book by Kelly Oram. My emotions ran the gamut as I read it, but overall, I couldn't keep a smile off my face. The main and supporting characters are many-faceted and loveable. The romantic tension is there too. Can Jace be my boyfriend in my next life? Just a great book overall. It would be a really cute movie. Don't miss out!
Rebecca
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Super cute!

This story, while following a fairly standard concept plot, has enough unique elements to make it stand out. Well edited, the plot is quick with the right balance of humor and romance. I very much enjoyed this book, and while it is set in the same world as One of the Girls by Robin Daniels, it isn't necessary to have read that first. I would definitely enjoy returning to this world in a future book.
Heather De Los Reyes
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute Ya read

I thought the idea behind this book was really cute and I loved how her characters were portrayed. Charlie is a sweet girl who only wants the rest of her school to see her as a girl rather than one of the guys since she plays baseball. She gets her heartbroken but also finds love in a place she didnt know existed. It's cute, romantic and very pg, perfect for any YA reader.
Heather
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Better than I expected

I love this author, and was excited to read a new book from her - but even then, I was expecting more cliche than I got with this book. It had more depth, more heart, and tons of humor. The only thing that I expected and received amply was the swoony nature of the relationship of the two main characters. This author always delivers when it comes to enjoyable swoon!

Clean, with some kissing.
Abby Rockett
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic book.

I loved this book by one of my favourite authors!
As always I love how the characters develop, and mix from other books. It is a chickflick in book form. I had all the emotions reading this and nearly made a fool of myself as I was nearly in tears on the bus.
katy
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kelly's back!

It's been a while but Kelly's back and I'm so excited! I love a good sports romance so I was all over this. Charlie was super relatable and then there's JACE! All the heart eye emojis!!!!! Would love to get some of the scenes in his pov. Can you imagine?! Oh look, my heart eye emojis! Just pure fluff and I loved every second of it! Just what I needed.
Lori
All the feels!

Kelly knocked it out of the park again with this wonderful coming if age story. Even knowing next to nothing about baseball, I felt like I really understood Charlie and what she was going through because her character development was so good. The only bummer thing about this book is that it was too good and I read it in one day and now it's over 😭
« previous 1 3 next »

• Playing the Enemy (The Trouble with Tomboys Book 1)
  • Playing to Win (The Trouble with Tomboys Book2)
  • One of the Girls (Friendzone Book 1)
  • The Trouble With Christmas
  • The Kissing Tutor: A Standalone Sweet Romance (Sweet Water High Book 11)
  • One of the Guys
  • The Wrong Costar (The Wrong Match Book 2)
  • I Hate You More
  • All That's Left (The Carlington Twins Duet, #1)
  • Road Trip with the Enemy (Sweet Water High, #10)
  • The Good Girl's Guide to Being Bad
  • Audible Love: A Young Adult Romance
  • My Not So Wicked Boss (My Not So Wicked Series Book 3)
  • All That's Been Said (The Carlington Twins Duet, #2)
  • Heartbreak Café
  • Tall, Dark, and Nerdy: A Sweet YA Romance (High School Billionaires Book 1)
  • Never Have I Ever Faked a Boyfriend (Never Ever Love, #2)
  • The New Girl (Oak Brook Academy #1)
Kelly Oram wrote her first novel at age fifteen–a fan fiction about her favorite music group, The Backstreet Boys, for which family and friends still tease her. She's obsessed with reading, talks way too much, and loves to eat frosting by the spoonful. She lives outside of Phoenix, Arizona with her husband and four children.