Start by marking “Vacation” as Want to Read:
Vacation

Vacation

In this witty, deeply honest tale of married life, New York Times bestselling author Jane Green delves into the heart of the holidays—and the winter of one woman’s discontent . . .

Just when she’d sworn off men for good, Sarah Evans met Eddie. Sarah was a magazine editor, living in Manhattan, and loving her life—except for the heartbreaks. A successful real estate d
ebook
Published October 29th 2019 by Zebra

To ask other readers questions about Vacation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vacation

Start your review of Vacation
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: "Well," Cindy says brightly, "nothing like a bit of soul baring at book club. I'm going to get some cheesecake. Can I bring anyone some?" She rises out of her chair, as do the others, all murmuring about getting more coffee, or cake, or another of those delicious brownies.

Only Caroline stays behind, sitting next to Sarah on the sofa, and when Sarah puts down her wineglass, Caroline takes her hand.

"I didn't know it was that bad," she whispers. "You should have sai
Debbie Oliphant
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I honestly loved this story. It is a quick, easy breezy read and by the time I finished, I wanted more.

The story begins with Sarah and Eddie going thru the motions of their roles with their marriage and family. It is clear that each are unhappy and are close to imploding but trying to refrain from their anger as they know there will be words that they cannot take back.

They both realize that their relations
Jen
2 Incomplete Stars

I’d like to start this review by saying I’m a big fan of Jane Green. I read Jemima J years ago and it still sticks with me to this day. Unfortunately, Vacation is no Jemima J.

The story had oodles of promise, I’ll give it that. Lately, I’ve been delving deeper into stories that deal with relationships after the so called happily ever afters, not just the fairy tale stuff we read in the epilogues. When I saw a Jane Green offering on NetGalley that dealt with some of the uglier aspects of married l
Caitlin Reads
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I received this ARC from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I have read of a lot of Jane Green books and this was definitely not my favorite. This book fell pretty flat for me and I had trouble connecting with the characters and caring about them. You can definitely relate to some of the marital issues and it was a fairly quick read but by the end of the book I felt that nothing really happened. I wasn't sure what I had just read. There also wasn't enough of a clear pa
Pani
Oct 14, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
**ARC received by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

My very first Jane Green read and unfortunately I was disappointed.

I don’t even know how to write a review about this novella as I’m not what the deal was with this one! I’m very very glad that it was only 76 pages as I’m sure I would’ve DNFed it at about 30% of the story.

For more reviews follow me on Instagram @pani.reads
Bridgett
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Well, that felt...incomplete.

Having never read a Jane Green novel before, I had high hopes. In fact, I have a few more of her unread books in my Kindle library, but now I'm a little leery. Vacation felt more like a novella...rushed, unfinished, and oh-so-predictable.

The premise is fine...married couple in trouble decides to "take a break." The writing, however, seemed rather...elementary. It all just seemed a little too easy. Plus, it was written in third person present, a style of which I'm not a fan.

If you're looking for a quick, light (marather....
Jamie
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I received this from Netgalley for a review. I'm not sure what Jane Green is doing as she used to be one of my favorite authors but then I saw this is is an actually an older book? This book didn't seem to have a lot of meaning except for the fact that women were unhappy in their marriage and a lot of complaining was going on. I'm glad it was a quick read on my kindle.
Dianne
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: galleys-arcs, 2019
Unfortunately, this book is being misdescribed in that it is an 83-page NOVELLA and not a complete book. As of this review, both Amazon and Goodreads have incorrect information on this book. The original novella is found in the book: This Christmas.

For the most part, I merely like Ms. Greens' writing. It keeps me reading and amused. Nothing earth-shattering about any of her books -just good, reliable, dependable, and entertaining reading. And this novella is no different!

It is an amusing stor
Brenda
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After 8 yrs of marriage, all Sarah Evans wants is for her husband, Eddie, to be gone. When Eddie's promotion includes a transfer to Chicago she ends him off alone while she finds herself. What can Eddie do to win Sarah back and be with his young children?

Follow Sarah and Eddie as they face their pasts and move forward to a better ever after.

I volunteered to read an ARC through Net Galley.
Heather Donovan
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

*Spoilers ahead*

I actually have no words to describe this book, because... I still don't understand what I just finished reading.

Ignore the first paragraph of the description of this book, because it has no bearing on the story at all; we glimpse at Sarah and Eddie's 'meet-cute" mid-way through the book, and the same amount of consideration is given it as in the description. A few pages at best.

A
MMill
Oct 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Sarah and Eddie have been married for 8 years, have two beautiful children...and don't even recognize each other anymore. They used to be in love, but now Sarah feels completely alone in raising the kids and taking care of the house, while Eddie's work stress has caused him to withdraw from the family and from participating in his own life (he stopped exercising, he stopped eating right, he started drinking, and he just doesn't have the bandwidth to engage with a nagging wife and active children ...more
Julie
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Sarah is a former publicist who seemed to have it all—a handsome and successful husband, two adorable kids, and a life in the suburbs outside New York. But life has changed for this married mother. Her husband Eddie, is no longer the thoughtful partner he once was and doesn’t engage with the family. Her life has taken a quick departure from career success to refereeing arguments between her two kids.

The story reaches a turning point when Eddie agrees to take a job in Chicago, and Sarah proposes
Genevieve Trono
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
I have read a lot of Jane Green books and I tend to go for them when I am looking for something lighthearted but engaging. I was intrigued by Vacation because I didn't know she was releasing another book so soon. While the premise was good, I am not sure what the deal was with this one. It was super short and felt choppy and some of it seemed outdated? I don't know, it was very quick to read but in this case, some length would have helped.

It felt very flat and one dimensional and la
Pani
Nov 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
My very first Jane Green read and unfortunately I was disappointed.

Skye Yanovsky
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
In Vacation, Eddie and Sarah are going through a very rough slump in their marriage and when Eddie has to temporarily go to Chicago for work Sarah admits she wants a separation (a “Vacation”). So they decide to separate; however during this time apart both seem to find themselves again and understand what each did wrong in their marriage. However, what does this self-discovery mean for their marriage? Is their marriage worthy saving? Does either, especially Sarah, want it to be saved?

First off,
Lynette Burnett
Vacation by Jane Green was a good, easy, read. This is a very true to life story of a 10 year marriage at a crossroads. Sarah and Eddie live in the suburbs where they are raising their two children. Eddie works increasingly long hours in the city while Sarah takes care of the house and the children, and slowly becomes more resentful of Eddie’s time away. When Eddie is offered a new position in Chicago, Sarah decides this is the time to make the break. What the couple find out is that they have b ...more
Lynette Burnett
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Amy
Oct 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Jane Green's books, but this one didn't really hit the mark for me.

Green does a solid job establishing the ennui in Sarah and Eddie's marriage. Two young children, a suburban life complete with book club meetings and commutes to the city, and things have gone stale. What doesn't work is everything else. Eddie has to work in Chicago, and Sarah decides to stay put in Connecticut. She thinks it's a separation, he thinks it's a "vacation." Both of them flourish.

The journey from drudgery to
Dawn
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Feeling unfulfilled in her life as a suburban mom and wife, Sarah Evans decides to separate from her successful but absent husband, leading to the title vacation in the book.

I thought this short, easy read was really a cute reminder about what we give up in partnerships and a gentle reminder that keeping yourself might mean you need to focus a little time on reflection. I really thought the focus on the husband's perspective was an interesting and unusual choice.

I found myself easil
Dawn Byers
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from NetGalley for an honest review -
Sara meets Eddie and the sparks fly - Love - totally an awesome feeling. They marry -
Then baby one comes, then baby two. Mommy quits her job to be a stay home mommy.
Daddy works long hours, comes home, grabs and beer and the tv.
They separate - Can they rekindle their marriage?
Green writes so you can feel each persons feelings. This was a good book!
Teena in Toronto
When Sarah and Eddie met, they were in their twenties, living in New York, had great jobs and happening lives. Nine years later, they are married with two children and living in the suburbs. Sarah is an unhappy stay-at-home wife and Eddie works too much, eats too much and drinks too much. Sarah has had enough so when he gets transferred to the Chicago office, she sees this as a chance to have a trial separation. Apart, Eddie realizes that he's been a lousy husband and father and Sarah finds hers ...more
Jordan Caldwell
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a quick read! I really enjoyed this one, but I wanted more! I want to know what happens to Eddie and Sarah after Christmas. Anyone going through the mid life slump will really relate to this story of two people miserably going about the day to day of marriage and parenthood. It was frustrating that neither would talk to the other, but I think this painted a very realistic, if not sad, picture of modern day marriage.

I received an advance copy. All thoughts are my own.
Sherri Lewis
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a novella that originally appeared in the anthology THIS CHRISTMAS. It is about Sarah Evans & her husband Eddie. They used to have the perfect marriage but after 2 kids, she quit her job, they moved to the country, he started spending more and more time working and less time with family things aren't so great anymore. So when Eddie's company needs him to transfer to Chicago, Sarah decides this is the perfect time for them to take a vacation from their marriage and see where they go f ...more
Brittany Hebert
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love Christmas and holiday themed books! They put me in the most festive mood. This novella was originally published in the anthology called "This Christmas," so it may not be new to some readers. I enjoyed this book by Jane Green, while learning about Sarah and Eddie's marriage and the struggles that go along with it. When Eddie's job presents a transfer, Sarah views this as an opportunity for a trial separation. Each go through the trials and tribulations of trying to balance a fa ...more
Meghan
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was received as an ARC from Kensington Books - Zebra in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I am a huge fan of Jane Green and her work. My two favorite books of all time are Swapping Lives and The Other Woman because of the brilliant approach she takes on relationships and makes them so colorful that makes the reader learn something new. In the case of Vacation, Sarah and Eddie seem to have lost their magic tou
Sharon
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, netgalley
Zebra Books and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of Vacation. I was under no obligation to review this book and my opinion is freely given.

Sarah and Eddie had a storybook life for a while, but after 9 years and two children, Sarah is feeling neglected. Her life has not turned out the way she envisioned and cannot help but think that her marriage is doomed. Will a trial separation bring the couple closer together or will it spell the end?

Vacation is not a new
Donna Hines
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
How can you not like a novel by Jane Green?
Love is in the air or at least it was 9 yrs ago but the kindling has all but gone out for this married couple.
Now they are trying to reconnect but first they must go through some trials and tribulations to see if that's really what they both want.
You know it's true what they say the grass is greener on the other side but the truth is perhaps it's just watered and tended to more.
This may be the case for Eddie and Sarah who decided
Jamie Shell
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not necessarily a Christmas story, but Christmas does come into play. Sarah & Eddie have been married 9 year and have two kids and seem to be in a rut. Neither one of theme is happy but they don't talk about it and resent towards Eddie seems to be increasing on Sarah's part. When Eddie's job send him to Chicago, Sarah is relieved and see this as the beginning of the end and Eddie, not wanting to think that way, thinks of it as a vacation. Time apart changes how they both feel about each othe ...more
Amanda
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun read about Sarah and her marriage. She is in a slump and when a change in location presents itself for her husband, she views this as a sign that they need to trial a separation. During this time both Sarah and Eddie take time for themselves. Time they didn't realize they needed. Was disappointed with how the book just ended, I wanted more :)
Janilyn Kocher
This was an ok read. I actually think it's a recycled story due to some of the outdated things mentioned in the story such as answering machines. Sarah annoyed me. She clearly is not happy in the marriage and blamed it all on her husband, instead of admitting she may not have been happy with herself. There is character development with Eddie and Sarah working on self- improvement. The ending was a little scattered as there is no transition from what you read and then how it turns out. I've read ...more

• Christmas Shopaholic
  • A Woman of War
  • What Happens in Paradise
  • A Snowy Little Christmas
  • The Things We Cannot Say
  • Meant to Be Yours (Happily Inc, #5)
  • The Other Mrs.
  • The Matchmaker's Mistletoe Mission (Boots and Bouquets, #0.5)
  • Where She Went
  • Fall and Rise: The Story of 9/11
  • The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of September 11, 2001
  • Holocaust to Resistance, My Journey
Jane Green's eighteenth novel, Falling, is soon to be released with Berkley/Penguin; she is the author of sixteen previous New York Times Bestselling novels, and known as one of the world's leading authors in women's fiction, with over ten million books in print, and translations in over 25 languages.

Previous novels have included The Beach House, Second Chance, Jemima J, and Tempting Fate.