Start by marking “The Allingham Minibus” as Want to Read:
The Allingham Minibus

The Allingham Minibus

(Albert Campion)

“How many of the detective stories you read do you remember?”
Not very many.And there Margery Allingham stands out like a shining light.

In this collection of eighteen short stories, Queen of Crime Margery Allingham dabbles in the occult, the mysterious, and the murderous. Always the perceptive observer, Allingham fills these stories with astute characterisations, brilliant
Kindle Edition
Published October 10th 2019 by Agora Books (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Allingham Minibus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Allingham Minibus

Start your review of The Allingham Minibus
Kathy
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Did I enjoy all eighteen short stories equally? Of course not. There is, however, plenty to like in this collection as the author had many different talents. I had not read any of her "ghostly" tales previously and there are some good ones in this book. Albert Campion wins the prize for one of my favorite stories of the bunch.
The "Minibus" consists of a wide variety of story types with characters that are truly rich in detail and thus easily envisioned. This book can provide hours of enjoyable
Judy Lesley
The Allingham Minibus was first published in 1973 and is about to be re-released. This eighteen story collection begins with a tribute to Margery Allingham contributed by Agatha Christie. There are only three Albert Campion stories among this collection which, I must admit, was a bit of a disappointment to me. Those stories are: Mr. Campion's Lucky Day, The Unseen Door and The Man With the Sack. Of the remaining stories, many of them have supernatural or paranormal elements. I have noticed in ...more
Bill
An excellent collection of short stories from Margery Allingham. I expected them all to feature her favourite detective, Albert Campion, but, in fact, only two of them did. Both of them were excellent, demonstrating Campion's ability to grasp the salient clues to quickly solve both mysteries. I enjoyed them very much. I was surprised, pleasantly it turned out, that there were 3 or 4 ghostish stories contained in the book. I can't say the endings totally surprised me, but I enjoyed them very ...more
Eric
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Varied and intriguing, these 18 tales, mainly dating from the 1920s 30s and 40s,display different aspects of Allingham’s not inconsiderable talent to amuse, bemuse, and feed the soul of the reader.
Resurrection, immortality, life after death, in their various forms and meanings, are found here. Marriage is looked at obliquely in a few of the tales, most wonderfully in “The Pioneers”.

Campion crops up in three, but there is not much by way of conventional detection, except in the over-long “A
Santosh Iyer
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was first published in 1973. It is now being republished by Agora Books and will be released on 10th October.
This is a collection of 18 stories of various genres such as supernatural, detective, crime and romance. In the beginning, there is a tribute to the author Margery Allingham written by Agatha Christie.
Of the 18 stories, as many as 9 stories have supernatural elements. These are generally very good and it is these stories which I enjoyed the most in the book. I detail them below
Luke
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Before I picked up this iteration of The Allingham Minibus – a work that's been around in varying versions since the 1970s – I'd never read any of Margery Allingham's work. I knew little of her, save that she was considered one of the Queens of Crime, alongside Agatha Christie, Dorothy L. Sayers and Ngaio Marsh. I expected, given her contemporaries, that I'd have a quaint read ahead, of clockwork mysteries and tea and crumpets before bedtime.

Thankfully, that presumption was false. The 18 tales
Sue F
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve read and enjoyed many/most of Margery Allingham’s golden age Albert Campion mystery books. So I was happy to get a chance to read an advance copy of a collection of Allingham’s short stories, The Allingham Minibus, in exchange for an honest review.

First off, potential readers should note that only a few (three if I counted right) of the short stories in this book feature Campion, and only a few more are really mysteries. I was surprised to find that most of the rest of the stories are more
Jillian
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I usually rush through a Margery Allingham book, following the narrative to its conclusion yet it took me a couple of weeks to read this collection of stories. I found myself needing to savour each one, absorbing its perfection. Most of the stories have a ghostly element. I avoid supernatural mysteries but these stories are of a different ilk. They extend life beyond the grave for very specific purpose - for revenge, or justice or protection. The short story form accepts this device readily, ...more
Anne
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Allingham Minibus by Margery Allingham is a collection of short stories from a writer of the Agatha Christie ilk. Although a renowned mystery writer, these stories are not entirely mystery: they verge on the Twilight Zone. Many of them are, or appear to be ghost stories. Some are mysteries. All are delightful. These are the type of short stories I would read my tenth grade English class. They make you think, "Oh, I get it!"

There are only three Campion stories in the minibus. Campion was
India
I have not many read many short story collections so I thought this was a good way to introduce me into this format.

He Was Asking After Yon - 3.5
The Sexton's Wife - 4.5
The Wink -
Kelly-Jo Sweeney
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't actually read any of Margery Allingham's book before, so I wasn't really sure what to expect. I'm not sure why I haven't read any before, I've always been a fan of detective novels from the golden age and I have even come across Campion, the detective she is most known for on TV. Although Campion does appear in a couple of the short stories in this book, the collection isn't all about mysteries. In fact, my favourite stories in the collection were those with a bit of a spooky feel. The ...more
Jen
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to NetGalley for the eARC in exchange for an honest review.

The Allingham Minibus is a collection of short stories by Margery Allingham, best known for mysteries featuring detective adventurer Albert Campion. Campion appears in only a few stories, while the rest are stand alone - some narrated in first person, others not. There's a theme of the supernatural in many of stories, character studies of situations sometimes left unresolved (many only allude to crimes committed in the past).

DKC
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could find a copy of this book readily available - only read it years ago through a library that has since culled it from their collection. These were definitely a different kind of tale than what I had become accustomed to with Allingham's Campion series. Made me think of some of the Hitchcock compilations, with tales of mystery, horror, and the bizarre. Allingham's sense of humor can be seen in most of the stories, and all in all, it's a nice little collection of short stories. I wish ...more
Annarella
This amazing collection of short stories shows different side of Ms Allingham and how she could have been a great author even when she was writing about paranormal, occult or everyday life.
I loved all the stories and found them entertaining and enjoyable. They're all full of humour and well written.
I'd have liked some backstory about each them out of sheer curiosity.
An engrossing and entertaining read, highly recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I do love a good Campion story, that genteel mystery set in more polite times. Here are a few of those (at least one available elsewhere, in Campion at Christmas), but also a surprising number of horror stories - I hadn't realised the author dabbled in other genres. The spooky chills are perfect for the Halloween season, with plenty of mysteries and a few bits of whimsy too.

Full review is up on my blog.
Randy Money
Very enjoyable story collection split almost evenly between Allingham's more expected mystery/crime stories (including three with her recurring character, Albert Campion) and ghost stories, all of which I found entertaining, with "The Sexton's Wife" particularly effective. There's not a great deal of thematic depth to these, but I put the book down with the sense of stories well-told by a good professional writer.
Suzanne
This is not my favorite Allingham but I am prejudiced toward Campion stories and not a huge fan of short stories. There are a couple of Campions. There are some "ghost stories." There are a number of "twists" or "surprise endings." Allingham is a fairly impeccable writer. These are what I'd call mostly period pieces. Still worth a read on a dark and stormy night....
Vanessa
Oct 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Cemented my suspicion that Allingham is too strong a spice for my tastes; she is undoubtedly one of the leading lights of the Golden Age and a superb short story writer, but to me her writing tastes like soapy-cilantro. I would totally recommend this collection, however, despite my own iffy reaction.

I received an ecopy from the publishers and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Verity W
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is a mix of mystery and spooky and a bit of neither I enjoyed it. There's a little bit of Campion here, but not a huge amount - but the other stories are so engaging it didn't bother me. Not a typical selection of Allingham really - so maybe not the place to start, but if you like her writing, it's definitely worth a look.

****Copy from NetGalley in return for an honest review****
Victor
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: compilations
Campion appears only in 3 not so remarkable but enjoyable stories but there are a few very good short stories in the mix. The Perfect Buttler, He preferred them sad and the sextons wife stands out .There are a few weak ones also but the prose style is captivating as usual and all in all this is a good enough book to merit 3.5 stars .
Louise
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read a lot of Margery Allingham's novels recently - and I got a surprise when I read her short stories for the first time. I thought they were even better than her full length work. Check them out.
Hmy
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good bed time reading, short stories, sometimes predictable, fairly gentle, perhaps a bit dated now
Katie Hilton
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice selection of short stories by Margery Allingham, creator of sleuth Albert Campion and a very fine writer. Some of these are crime stories; some are suspenseful. All are engaging.
Robin
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good selection of Allingham writing. Enjoyed some better than others, but they are all good. I received an advance reader copy from Crime Classics Review Club. Opinions are my own.
Clive Willcocks
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful collection of short stories. I really love to read books by Margery and would not hesitate to recommend this book.
Colored Ink
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only know Margery Allingham from her mystery novels, and am usually not much of a short story reader anyway, so was surprised (and more than a little disconcerted) by these often otherworldly short stories. A little spooky, a little shivery, and often both surprising and clever. Even a couple for Campion lovers. A great read for this (or any) time of year.
Scilla
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good collection of 18 short stories by Marjorie Allingham. Most of them are exciting and have a surprise ending. Most of them do not star Mr. Campion, although some do. All the stories are very well written and fun to read.

My favorites were Publicity and The man with the sack.
Helen
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an enjoyable short story collection from one of the ‘Golden Age of Crime’s’ stars Margery Allingham, with a nice variety of stories, some featuring her long standing detective Albert Campion, and some with a spooky twist.
If ,like me, you like Allingham’s work you will know what to expect and if you have yet to have the pleasure this would be a good place to start as a taster of her style, but either way I recommend this as an example of a skilled writer having fun.
The inclusion of an
Abbey
THE ALLINGHAM MINIBUS, apa MR CAMPION'S LUCKY DAY, 1973, posthumous collection of eighteen stories mainly written in the 1920s and 1930s; two of her earliest stories were previously unpublished until this collection; eight of the stories are ghost stories, three others are not mysteries or crime stories, and only the last two of the stories feature Campion.

Includes [Date= when first published]

1946 The Sexton's Wife, written 1923, revised 1934
— creepy little story a.la Monkey's Paw, beautiful
Stven
Mar 25, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Allingham gave the world a wonderful series of novels starring Albert Campion. She also gave the world a great many very brief short stories, collected in this volume, a few of which feature Mr. Campion stepping onstage to render one single brilliant observation and thus supply the punch line to the scene. This, alas, is not enough to appease the reader who wishes to spend more time in the exhilarating company of Margery Allingham's most famous protagonist. While admitting that these vignettes ...more

• Death in Room Five (Chief Inspector Littlejohn #24)
  • Death Beside the Seaside (Lady Hardcastle Mystery #6)
  • The Body in the Dumb River (Chief Inspector Littlejohn, #35)
  • Six Merry Little Murders: Christmas Cozy Mystery Novellas
  • The Old Success (Richard Jury, #25)
  • Death on a Quiet Day (Sir John Appleby, #16)
  • Too Cute to Kill (Jake and Emma Mysteries #1)
  • Death of a Busybody (Chief Inspector Littlejohn #3)
  • Fell Murder
  • The Measure of Malice
  • One Wish: A Christmas Story
  • Penny for Your Secrets (Verity Kent, #3)
  • A Christmas Gathering: A Novel
  • Silent Crimes
  • Memories and Murder (Tourist Trap Mysteries #10)
  • A Knife for Harry Dodd (Chief Inspector Littlejohn #21)
  • Death in Focus (Elena Standish #1)
  • Have a Deadly New Year (Farm-to-Fork Mystery #3.5)
Aka Maxwell March.

Margery Louise Allingham was born in Ealing, London in 1904 to a family of writers. Her father, Herbert John Allingham, was editor of The Christian Globe and The New London Journal, while her mother wrote stories for women's magazines. Margery's aunt, Maud Hughes, also ran a magazine. Margery earned her first fee at the age of eight, for a story printed in her aunt's magazine.

Albert Campion (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Crime at Black Dudley (Albert Campion Mystery #1)
  • Mystery Mile (Albert Campion Mystery #2)
  • Look to the Lady (Albert Campion Mystery, #3)
  • Police at the Funeral (Albert Campion Mystery, #4)
  • Sweet Danger (Albert Campion Mystery, #5)
  • Death of a Ghost (Albert Campion Mystery, #6)
  • Flowers for the Judge (Albert Campion Mystery, #7)
  • The Case of the Late Pig (Albert Campion Mystery, #8)
  • Dancers in Mourning (Albert Campion Mystery, #9)
  • The Fashion in Shrouds (Albert Campion Mystery, #10)