Start by marking “The Snow Killer (DI Barton, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Snow Killer (DI Barton, #1)

The Snow Killer

(DI Barton #1)

‘Fear the north wind. Because no one will hear you scream…’

A family is gunned down in the snow but one of the children survives. Three years on, that child takes revenge and the Snow Killer is born. But then, nothing - no further crimes are committed, and the case goes cold.

Published November 12th 2019 by Boldwood Books

To ask other readers questions about The Snow Killer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Snow Killer

Start your review of The Snow Killer (DI Barton, #1)
PamG
THE SNOW KILLER by Ross Greenwood is the first book in a new series featuring Detective Inspector John Barton. The novel is a combination of genres. Part of it is historical mystery, part contemporary police procedural, and part an insight into a serial killer’s mind.

The novel is set in and near Peterborough in the United Kingdom, a place where the author was born and later visited many times. This lent authenticity to the sense of place. The opening scene starts fifty years ago when a family is
Matt
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
First and foremost, a large thank you to NetGalley, Ross Greenwood, and Boldwood Books for providing me with a copy of this publication, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.

I was eager to get my hands on this novel, having seen it being discussed all over Goodreads of late. New to the work of Ross Greenwood, I was also interested to see if this might be a new author to add to my ever-growing list of authors to follow. Fifty years ago, a family is gunned down in an apparent
Linda Strong
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it

A family is murdered in what became known as the Snow Killings. Mother and Father and young daughter were slaughtered. The teenage son was shot twice and left for dead.. but he somehow survived.

The boy wanted revenge ... not justice ... and the Snow Killer was born.

Fifty years later, DI John Barton and his team are baffled beyond belief. Every time it snows, a murder occurs and the body count is mounting. Left with no clues, no witnesses, no leads, it becomes a race against the weather.

The
Lou
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Snow Killer is the first instalment in the DI John Barton series, set in Peterborough, UK, and boy oh boy are you going to need your seat belts on for this one as it's a thrill-a-minute wild ride. Half a century ago a family was gunned down in cold blood in the snow with only the teenage son escaping with his life. Then, having had the anger bubble under the surface for a couple of years, the surviving child takes vengeance and is christened The Snow Killer for his brutal actions. Fast ...more
Sue
THE SNOW KILLER is the first book in a British Crime Thriller Series by Ross Greenwood featuring Detective Inspector John Barton. This is the second novel I have read by this author, and I can see that it will be well received and appeal to a wide audience, as it combines many different genres.

The novel is set in the United Kingdom and opens with a family being gunned down in the snow but one of the children survives. Three years on, that child takes revenge and the Snow Killer is born. But then
Elaine Tomasso
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Boldwood Books for an advance copy of The Snow Killer, the first novel to feature DI John Barton of the Peterborough Police.

Fifty years ago a family was gunned down and only a teenager survived to take vengeance a few years later and become The Snow Killer. Fifty years later the snow awakens a deadly need and the killings start again. DI John Barton leads the investigation but, struggling for a motive, it isn’t easy.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Snow Killer which
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This is the author’s first novel in the DI Barton crime series and boy what a start.

The title and the fact that the author sets the story at the coldest time of the year, still didn’t have me realise just how much of a chilling reading experience that I was letting myself in for.

How the story starts had me well and truly hooked. It was a great setting for the rest of the story which had me in turmoil. To a certain extent I had empathy for the killer which felt wrong but I couldn’t help myself.

As
Annette
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just when you think an author can't come up with a completely unique story-line bam here it is.
You can't help have sympathy with the killer, even though the murders are brutal they are swift. I knew from the first chapter that this was going to be my kind of a book, something to get your teeth into and read until the early hours. It spans many years even though for many of them the killer is not active and hiding in plain sight. The police failed to solve the historical murders will they do any
Jane James
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first instalment of a new crime series by Ross Greenwood and having read all the author’s other books I was curious as to where he was going to take me on this new journey. Turns out, this series is just as good, if not better. Right up my street in fact as it was very atmospheric. One to be read during a cold spell, preferably huddled up by a fire to fight off the chill that comes off the pages. The Snow Killer is no ordinary killer; that soon becomes clear and DI Barton is a very ...more
Denise
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Revenge is a dish best served cold. The Snow Killer knows exactly what to do...

Fifty years ago, outside a rural cottage in Lincolnshire, a family of 4 is gunned down in the snow. One of the children survived and later managed to track and kill the men who had killed those family members. Then all went quiet. But now there are new bodies appearing in nearby Peterborough and the police have no idea why. How can it be that there is any connection to what happened all those years ago -- certainly DI
Gram
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
From the start, we know who The Snow Killer is. Or at least we think we do. 50 years ago a family were gunned down by three men. A 15 year old was wounded in the attack, but the teenager's Uncle Ronnie removes his relative from hospital, fearful that the killers would finish the job. The two live off the grid and when Ronnie dies, the Snow Killer assumes his identity.
A few years later, the fake Ronnie has wreaked revenge on the men who carried out what became known as "The Snow Killings" after
Jim Ody
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. But then, why should I be so surprised? Ross Greenwood knows his way around a gritty crime/thriller, and his previous books have entertained me well. But this book is slightly different from his previous books, I don't want to say better, as to utter these words would suggest his other books are inferior. Believe me when I say they are not.

The Snow Killer starts off with an incredibly moving, albeit tragic, first chapter. We like the killer. We empathise and rally the
Kat
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely brilliant !!
When I first started to read this book I wasn’t so sure I was going to like it for some unknown reason but OMG was I wrong it was a superb read and what a twist a real jaw dropping moment and now I am desperately waiting for the next in the series.
So we have a book written from two points of view, the snow killer and DI Barton and it’s a real atmospheric read. The character of DI Barton is very realistic and likeable as are the rest of the team and I particularly liked the
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! This is a fantastic read. I was so excited to see this author was releasing a new book and the start of a new series. I wasn’t disappointed as this was an excellent read. Excellent is the word that popped into my head when I’d finished reading this story.

From start to finish this is a great read. Let me just say there’s a lot going on in my personal life so a book needs to grab me for me to read more than the first chapter. Well as it’s 1.40 am here and I’ve just finished reading
peggy
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A new police series which introduces DI Barton overweight, middle aged and an old school cop. Based in Peterborough he has a murder on his patch. The M O is the same as a series of three murders which happened fifty years ago. Copycat? The body count begins to rise and the police have no clues. The murders happened when the streets are covered with snow. They have to catch the killer before it starts to snow again. I was hooked from the first page, sat on the edge of my seat, tapping my kindle ...more
Sarah Northwood
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The snow killer is an enthralling and fast paced read. Author Greenwood has done a fabulous job of creating characters that are well rounded and full of intrigue and depth. I especially appreciated the little details such as the characters names and home life, where normality meets the crazed. With a great twist and poignant ending, this is a great read and one I highly recommend! I’m looking forward to more in this new crime series.
Shervin Jamali
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having decided to take a break from UK crime books (they were starting to feel very similar to me), I was remiss to undertake reading this one. But I'm glad I did. It breaks all the formulas, tropes and cliches, delivering one of the most surprising twists I have ever read. Highly recommended.
Shalini
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A police procedural with a chilling beginning which gave me the snow killings. And a snow killer.

A family was wiped out except for a child. He grew up and took his revenge. Fifty years later the snow killings started again. And this time it was DCI John Barton in charge. The investigation started amongst the snow, going back deep into the history where it all began.

My first book by author Ross Greenwood, I was blown away by the premise of a story. Believe me, I had multiple theories for the
Nicola Mitchell
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another honest, dedicated detective for the serial list. What a thrilling, thriller. Didn’t see that little nugget coming. Twists and turns until a very explosive finish. Loose and dead ends all wound up in a neat little parcel. It’s hard to shake off the sin’s of the father for more then one character in this tale.

I’m definitely a fan of Ross Greenwood and will continue to be so. Looking forward to the next instalment for Barton and Strange.
Dee-Cee  It's all about the books
The beginning of this story takes us back fifty years where a mother, father and their two children, a girl and a boy are gunned down in the snow. Only the boy survives and oh my goodness reading this beginning had my heart in my throat and to be honest I felt quite emotional and I knew I was is for a rip roaring good read.

This beginning really sets the scene and what follows is a story that had me totally gripped and I ended up devouring this story and it left me desperate to read more.

Nessa
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had three reasons for deciding to read this book, which were:-

1. The author Ross Greenwood is local to me, and I love to support local authors whenever I can.
2. The location or majority of it was based in my home town of Peterborough, Cambridgeshire.
3. The blurb for the book sounded brilliant and enticing, so how could I not want to read it.

So now to the story itself, I found myself pretty much gripped throughout having been drawn in and captivated from the very first chapter.

I liked how the
Ashleigh
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first novel in DI Barton detective series. Ross Greenwood is the author of six crime thrillers. Before becoming a full-time writer he was most recently a prison officer and so worked everyday with murderers, rapists and thieves for four years.

I really enjoyed this fast paced chilling crime procedural. It hooked me right from the beginning. It even had two points of view which I always enjoy, along with the crazy plot of revenge a few twists ands surprises its definitely a great start
Susan Angela Wallace
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The snow killer by Ross Greenwood.
‘Fear the north wind. Because no one will hear you scream…’
Fifty years later, has the urge to kill been reawakened? As murder follows murder, the detective team tasked with solving the crimes struggle with the lack of leads. It’s a race against time
Joanne Cartwright
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The snow killer, targeting criminals and with a tragic background of their own garners sympathy and on some level support, despite them being a murderer.
The book opens with the tragic deaths of a family, gunned down in the snow and with a sole teenage survivor who seeks sanctuary with an off the grid relative.

Year later the killings start, vengeance of sorts targeting criminals and only when it snows.

All of the characters come to life from the earliest stages of meeting them and I particularly
Beau
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It took me a while to read this one but only because I had to read lots of library books in between. But I definitely recommend you read this book, what a rip-roaring read it was. My favourite so far of Mr. Greenwood’s, was transfixed, for want of a better word x
Pamela
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Many thanks to the author and The Book Club Reviewer Request Group for my copy. It was a well written book, and I enjoyed it alot. A very fast paced read. Looking for ward to the next book.
Carol
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book & read it in one sitting. It’s a well paced thriller with rounded believable characters & a few twists & turns. Not everything is as it seems! This is the first book I’ve read by this author but I’m now off to look at his other books. I would recommend this book especially to fans of authors such as Mark Billingham
Emma
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve enjoyed all of Ross Greenwood’s books so I was very keen to read The Snow Killer. It is different to his others but certainly not in a bad way. Some excellent characters and a great twisty plot had me gripped. I hope to read more of DI Barton in the future. Great stuff. Thank you to NetGalley and Boldwood Books.
Annie
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fifty years earlier, all but one member of an entire family was killed. That person went on to become the Snow Killer and seek revenge. In the present day, similar killings start up again, and DI Barton and his team investigate. This was the first in a series, and I enjoyed it. Four stars. I will continue this series when new books come out.
Helen
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Huge thanks to the author for an ARC of his latest book! As expected, it's a gritty story with plenty of action that keeps you turning the pages.

The prologue hooks you right away, leaving you wondering how it's going to develop, and the story has plenty of twists that keep you guessing. And at one point, you're going to go "Ohhh!" But I'll leave you to find that out!

DI Barton is a normal, middle-aged man, fighting self doubt and trying to juggle work and family like everyone else, while keeping
« previous 1 3 next »

• Paper Girls (DCI Kett, #1)
  • Nothing Important Happened Today
  • Killer Motive
  • Woman in the Water
  • Seven Days
  • BACK TO LIFE: A Scottish Crime Thriller (A DCI Harry McNeil Crime Thriller Book 2)
  • Last Request
  • Déjà Vu
  • Her Dark Heart
  • Savage Children (John Savage Action Thriller Book 3)
  • Snow Creek (Detective Megan Carpenter, #1)
  • Break the Silence (Detectives Kane and Alton, #7)
  • All His Pretty Girls (Detective Alyssa Wyatt #1)
  • See Them Run (Detective Clare Mackay #1)
  • I Dare You
  • First Blood (D.I. Kim Stone, #12)
  • The Quiet Girls: An absolutely addictive mystery thriller
  • Impostor (Alexander Gregory Thrillers #1)
I was born in 1973 in Peterborough and lived there until I was 20, attending The King's School in the city. I then began a rather nomadic existence, living and working all over the country and various parts of the world.

I found myself returning to Peterborough many times over the years, usually when things had gone wrong. It was on one of these occasions that I met my partner about 100 metres from