Start by marking “The Collector” as Want to Read:
The Collector

The Collector

They were kidnapped.
Nobody knows where they are.
They all receive instructions to follow the path through the forest.
What they discover will come as a true shock.
The truth is hidden under a veil of secrets.
Paperback, 1, 71 pages
Published September 2019 by Amazon

To ask other readers questions about The Collector, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collector

Start your review of The Collector
JV (semi-hiatus)
"I want to show you what some people are willing to do to fulfil their crazy dream of ruling the world. Unfortunately, your kind didn’t learn anything from its bloody past and kept repeating the same mistakes. Each superpower in the distant past, as well as a superpower in your time, used weapons until the inevitable end because they thought that weapons were the only solution. But all civilizations created by weapons eventually cave in and collapse like a house of cards."
A bizarre,
Adrian
A fun shortish story

Ok, firstly, just a big thank you to Stjepan for giving me the chance to read this story, thanks !!

I have read 2 previous books written by Stjepan, both enjoyable, and this short story was similarly an interesting idea well written. This short story is written in the same style, that is to say it is very dialogue driven. It is an interesting premise, and Stjepan has followed the idea to a great conclusion. The story centres around a group of people who are suddenly whisked
Stjepan Cobets
Feb 28, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fan of Sci-Fi
My new science fiction novella, I would like to hear readers opinion and I would be grateful for every review of the book.

With respect,
Stjepan Varesevac Cobets
LostKnight
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dear Readers,
I just finished reading a phenomenal book called The Collector. Where do I begin?

The plot line is fascinating, and the character development is good. The characters are living breathing entities.

This was a hard book to put down, and it gives me something to think about. i refuse to give spoilers. However, fellow readers, this author is extraordinarily imaginative and thought provoking.

I thank Mr. Cobets for having written and published this book. It is a fairly short read, and one
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This short story reminded me of one of my favourite TV series: The Twilight Zone .

It starts of on the same intriguing note and keeps bringing in twists and turns up to the very end, when you get the real finale and you just have to say: Oh, boy! I did NOT see that coming!

There was a mention of grammatical errors on other reviews, but the author must have corrected those in between, because the story I read was clean. No awkward phrasing and no errors and it read like a charm.

The story itself
Bernard Jan
A story that starts with abduction of one, two, and then more and more grownups and children by alien abductorstakes an unexpected and different turn from a science fiction horror story. The world under the dome is not a hostile planet where other intelligent creatures collect humans to torture them and experiment on them but a beautiful place where revelation and realization come to peace with acceptance that we, humans, with our greed and need to dominate every realm are a destructive force ...more
Stacy
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An unusual sci-fi story. Earthlings have been abducted from Earth and awake in an unknown place, each given a set of instructions and if they don't comply, they are promptly punished. They are each provided with some basic essentials and told to follow a path until they reach a destination, though none of them knows what awaits them there. Enroute, they slowly meet more ex-Earth citizens, and find that each of their experiences have been the same. When they finally arrive, they find a giant city ...more
Kristina Gallo
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful story about survival. Only love can heal sick minds who are willing to destroy humanity. The background of this story is a romance, which I found as unnecessary. A love story can find a place somewhere else.
The characters are well shaped, humorous and a purpose is described well. Victoria is chosen as a savior because of her attitude. Beautiful descriptions of nature give this story a special addition.
Vedrana Ivanda
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
George wakes up in an empty room and doesn't remember how he got there, he only got instructions to listen to.On his way, he meets people who, like him, have been abducted from the earth.How? Why? only the collector knows the answer

An interesting, tense well-written short sf story.I like the dialogue between the characters which is charming and fun.

Thank You Mr. Cobets for this wonderful short story
Faith Jones
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Similar to The Day the Earth Stood Still (a warning, education, alien benevolence) but more imaginative. Several characters have English as a second language, so the dialogue matches that occasionally.
Natasa
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Stjepan Cobets for providing a digital copy in exchange for an honest review.

What a brilliant short story. This story is a great mystery with great character development and interesting surprises. The Collector is not what you expect and is absolutely worth your time, especially if you like science fiction and mysteries.
Sean-Paul Thomas
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I really enjoyed this short sci-fi novella by Stjepan Varesevac. It is like reading a grave warning of our past, present, and future and why we are never destined to learn from our history or mistakes. What a great sci-fi imagination the author has. I really liked the setting and beautiful world building descriptions of the new world. The pacing of the story was good too and kept you hooked to the end to find out the mystery of the strange world and the collectors motives from bringing these ...more
Todd Simpson
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a brilliant short story. I was already a fan of Stjepan Cobets from reading his other books, and this one was thoroughly enjoyable as well. One of the standouts is not really knowing what’s going to happen to the characters, which is someone I always enjoy. Great entertainment.
It’s quite a shock for George to find himself pulled away from his life into a whole different place. Even though he has no idea where he is, it doesn’t take him long to come across Victoria, another person who is
Joshua Grant
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being abducted can be a terrifying experience. Stjepan Varesevac Cobets explores this in The Collector, but it’s not what you think. After going to a bar, George awakens in a mysterious forest with several others, told to follow a path. This novel is a great mystery with good character development and interesting twists. I especially like how Cobets subverts expectations. The Collector is not what you think and is certainly worth your time, especially if you love science fiction and mysteries!
Mike
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sf written in golden age style that reminded me of Asimov,Clarke,Simak and early Silverberg.There is a nice buildup to the final revelation full of wonders and secret histories.There are some flaws here like dialogues that are a bit clumsy,but that dosen't really matter because overall Stjepan did a very good job with this novella.I liked it a lot.
Chesca
The Collector must be the author's work that I liked best. It had an interesting world-building and better characters compared to his previous ones.

There's one thing that I really think should be improved: the Romance. Insta-love is never my cup of tea, and it's the most unnecessary thing in this book. I know that it's a novella, but I believe that any relationship could still be developed neatly no matter how short a piece of fiction may be. This book could and will survive without romance in
Lawrence Brown
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This reminded me of a Twilight Zone or Outer Limits from the 1960's (in the best ways). And most refreshingly, there were no rogue spaceship captains, no viewscreens, no tapping on computer keyboards or losing the shields...in short, this story struck me as both fresh and puzzling. I didn't know where it was going, and combined with the cliche'-free dialogue (no instances of 'We can do this!' or 'Lock and load, people!') that's worth 4 stars right there. Then the ending hit quick and I never saw ...more
Chris DeVito
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Collector is an absolutely enjoyable read. It's an intelligent and engaging sci-fi short story. The characters are engaging and interesting. The concepts and interactions with aliens are intriguing and don't follow the stereotypical path. Don't want to spoil but there are very well done and touching scenes between the very powerful alien and the human character, especially towards the end.

The only tiny flaw would be some of the dialogue comes of a tad clunky at times but English is not
Noor Al-Shanti
The Collector is an excellent sci-fi tale that has great world-building and something to say about human civilizations. A must-read for sci-fi fans and for those looking for intelligent fiction. It took me a while to get into it and the last third was definitely the strongest part of the story, but this was also because life kept interrupting me when I first picked it up to read so it took me a while longer to get immersed.

As I said it has excellent world-building. We open with a character,
Linda Lpp
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well off they went to be mysterically collected by The so called Collector. Where are they and where are they going? Who is behind this? What has happened and what is in store?
The fantasy of the experiences give you the reader an opportunity to sit back and imagine.
I especially liked the vivid scenery descriptions. I didn't like the foul language at times.
My father used to speak of the "Science Fiction" of his generation- Space travel and humans actually walking on the moon. He lived to see
Warren Dean
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Collector is an old school sci-fi story. Pervaded by a sense of mystery and wonder, it reminds me of something Clarke or Farmer might have written.
George wakes up to find himself trapped in a mysterious vault, naked and covered in transparent tubes. The pipes retract and instructions appear on a wall – get dressed and follow the path to your destination. After a typically human first reaction, resistance, is met with pain, George complies. Once outside, he meets Victoria, who has just had a
D. Peach
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Victoria and George suddenly find themselves plucked out of their ordinary lives and dropped in a strange wilderness, on another planet. And they aren’t the only ones trekking toward a giant dome. They were chosen by the Collector to fulfill certain roles. Victoria, who worked in a bar, was selected to be the governor. Why? Uncovering the answer to that question becomes the mystery of this sci-fi novella with a twist.

The story includes some interesting takes on history, particularly around the
Ken Goudsward
Honestly I found this book hard to read, because it seemed to move too fast. It was all "this happened, then that happened" with very little character development or anything. I guess a lot of people like that type of action, but it's not really my thing.
There were some interesting ideas, and the last chapter shifted into a different style that was actually a lot more enjoyable than the rest of the book.
Sam II
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
World Building

The Collector by Stjepan Cobets, is the story of George and Victoria, kidnapped (for lack of a better word), transported to an alien world and forced to live on it by the mysterious ‘Collector’. The story proceeds at a breakneck pace and almost anything I describe about the environment, technology, aliens or people described in the story would be a spoiler. The story is too good to spoil, and I will not. What I can tell you is the descriptions of advanced technology are written and
Bonnye Reed

• Black Hat Blues
  • Kakorrhaphiophobia
  • The Wake Up
  • The Comedian: A dark and humourous, novelette
  • The Letter: An edgy and new-age, black, romantic comedy.
  • Saving Bigfoot Valley
  • Dismissed with Prejudice (J.P. Beaumont, #7)
  • Grave Sight (Harper Connelly, #1)
  • A More Perfect Union (J.P. Beaumont, #6)
  • Minor in Possession (J.P. Beaumont, #8)
  • Payment in Kind (J.P. Beaumont, #9)
  • Medellin Acapulco Cold (A Military Thriller with Rick Fontain Book 3)
  • The Grumpy Hero
  • The Quest for Home (Book 2 of Crossroads trilogy)
  • Improbable Cause (J.P. Beaumont, #5)
  • To the Victor: Tales of Magic and Adventure
My short biography:

I was born on September 12, 1965, in Split, Croatia. I live and work in Kastel Sucurac, where I finished my elementary and secondary schooling. At a very young age, I started reading. I loved it because, through books, I traveled to places I could never visit in person. As a child, I loved fairy tales and adventure, but later I discovered other genres. When I found a Jules Verne
“He clasped his hands in front of his chest, stood for a moment in silence to think, and then spoke, “Since it is obvious that you want to know the truth, I’ll show it to you in its completeness.” But then he narrowed his eyes. “What I’m about to show you, what you’re about to see, you’ll have to keep to yourself. You will be the only human being who will know the truth of why I brought you and the others here. The truth sometimes can be painful. Well, for this reason, I ask once again: are you ready for such responsibility?” 2 likes
“It may be just a child’s play, but in itself, this game hides something that fills you with happy thoughts.” 2 likes