Start by marking “Sacred Woman: A Guide to Healing the Feminine Body, Mind, and Spirit” as Want to Read:
Sacred Woman: A Guide to Healing the Feminine Body, Mind, and Spirit

Sacred Woman: A Guide to Healing the Feminine Body, Mind, and Spirit

Queen Afua is a nationally renowned herbalist, natural health expert, and dedicated healer of women’s bodies and women’s souls who practices a uniquely Afrocentric spirituality. Her classic bestseller, Heal Thyself, forever changed the way African Americans practice holistic health. Now, with Sacred Woman, she takes us on a transforming journey of physical and ancestral he ...more
Published October 30th 2001 by One World/Ballantine (first published April 11th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Sacred Woman, please sign up.
Ayanna Ziegler It is designed for people of African Decent, as some of the rituals and history is specific to Black history. However, all women have wombs, and we…moreIt is designed for people of African Decent, as some of the rituals and history is specific to Black history. However, all women have wombs, and we all have healing powers. Any holistic wellness practice originated in Africa, so you're dealing with Arican roots whether you know it or not. I'd say anyone can use it, but give credit where credit is due. (less)

Nzinga
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you want a sense of your true role and power as a woman get this book. This book is excellent for those like myself who have had certain teachings from young regarding African culture and rites. Nana Afua has written for all women but I feel your will grasp it immediately and see the benefits more easily if your view of the world is not just mainstream teachings. I picked up this book because I needed healing and it has done and is still doing that she offers some excellent tools. I can't pra ...more
Felicia
Aug 07, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: all wombmen
This has to be taken with a grain (or two) of salt. The voice in which it is written is not what most of us are use to. There is a lot of wisdom within these pages, but it is very hard to disseminate at one sitting, without overload or unconsciousous resistance to what is written...
The idea of the Goddess is presented in a new view which does cause one to step back and reflect. This is not the end all definitive work, but a very informative view that should be considered and not dismissed. I am
Rosey D
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you are in search of a deeper journey regarding health - spiritual and physical, this is a great book to add to your list of must reads. Queen Afua writes from a unique perspective as she tries to teach us "wombman" how important the health and care of our wombs are. She nutures by providing us with spiritual reflections (not religion) to help us grow. This book can be a challenge for the novice readers especially if you are unfamiliar with many of the ancient teachings and customs she discus ...more
Isis Nakia
Aug 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book revealed to me how food has such an impact on us on so many different levels. I also learned how to further embrace my feminity and divinity.
Nicole
Aug 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
I never thought I would return to this book after my young twenties where I was decidedly a vegetarian. I never read this book straigh through but its a great resource for food cures of common women's ailments. Hoping for baby # 2 so I'm back to Castor oil packs and cayenne pepper flushes. Queen Afua knows her stuff.
Ebprl7
Dec 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book was very informative in helping me get on the path of nurturing my body and spirit in a holistic manner. I continue to use this book as a resource and have even bought a copy for my mother because I feel it has so much important information and great advice regarding women's health.
Ivon
Jun 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a FABULOUS book. It gives tonics and ideas to cleanse your body, your mind, and your spirit. A must have for any woman, especially a woman that has African traditions.
Kenesia
Nov 26, 2007 is currently reading it
Recommends it for: yes! this is a great book for Women
Queen Afua taps into that sacred place within the feminine principle! I would suggest that the guys read this too!
Patricia
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality
For the most part, it was a lovely book, but I wasn't really into the passages on veganism, douching and enemas.
Hayley
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I wanted to write a brief review of this book that I was kindly lent by a friend as I work with divine feminine energy so knew I would be interested in this book and as soon as I saw it I was quite excited to read it.

Having finished it, I have mixed feelings about this book.
As with most books of this nature, I believe you should take from it what resonates with you and what doesn't. There was stuff in this book that didn't resonate with me at all- for instance it didn't feel right to me to say t
Empress Yana
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Meeting the author and reading this book totally changed my life. I really enjoy the different outlooks on how to connect with your higher self. Queen Afua was a breathe of fresh air. This book holds many secrets that many women do not know. I say this is a MUST add to your book self.
-Empress Yana Jay
Michele
Aug 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
i used some of the recipes in it for cleansing.
Alyscia Cunningham
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved the info Queen Afua shared about being a woman and our connection with our womb. Great read~!
Nzinga Units x
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! This book started me on my path to better Heath, refinement and womb healing. I lost all my books in a hurricane and this was the FIRST book I replaced.
Jennifer Williams
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those neccessary books for self healing. I have done this journey and currently doing it again. I often refer to it. So much so that my book is tore up, lol! Its about taking care of your body, mentally, physical, emotionally and how to obtain self love. This is truly caring for your womb.
Taylre Malloy
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you ever find your Soul in need of resurrection, Sacred Woman by Queen Afua is the go to manual. Practicing a uniquely Afrocentric spirituality, Sacred Woman offers a metamorphic journey of the physical and ancestral self for all women.
Tionne
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A necessary book for any Black woman looking to deepen her spirituality.

I knew I wanted a change in my life with this book, but what happened goes beyond words.

Definitely recommended for a purer life.
Deidra
Oct 11, 2018 added it
Shelves: dnf
a bit deeper than i was ready for. will start back soon though
Selena Bellows
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knowledge
life changing book. must have a strong spiritual belief for the practices in the book to be fully effective.
Janise Wiggins
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a step by step instructional guide to a better you ..
Lujain
NO words can describe
Melissa
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Melissa by: 72aa0ccd@opayq.com
As an African American women interested in living a more spiritual, intuitive lifestyle, there are very few books that cater specifically to us and our culture.

Most spiritual and goddess-oriented books focus on the perspective of ancient Europe and white women, taking looks into a history that is not necessarily shared by all women. While these books provide valuable information, sometimes you desire a book that was written by someone like you, for you specifically in mind.

Sacred Woman: A Guide
Kat
Dec 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: health
This is a VERY dense book. I attempted to read it a couple of times but it was just too much. I enjoyed the beginning with background on our history I also enjoyed the poems and affirmations but I just didn't have the time or money to do all the things she writes about. Mainly I wanted to see more evidence. Of course raw fruits and veggies are best for you but where is her evidence to back up her claim that flesh foods make you feel anger? How does she know eating dairy makes all women lonely? A ...more
Kiesha
Oct 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing text. Historically informative and spiritually transformative. It's not a book you just read, it's an entire lifestyle to adapt. I've been extremely inspired and motivated by Queen Afua's words and the legacies of the wonderful women chronicled, to change my diet and perspective on the universe. This is a book you use as a manual. I intend to return and use it as such as I continue on this journey to wellness.
Karla
Aug 08, 2007 rated it did not like it
The book was not at all what I thought it was going to be. If you are looking to completely change your life and follow a new religion this is the book for you; but if you just want to have some insight into how to be a more empowering female then this is definitely not the book for you.
Flora
Jul 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any woman looking for a better way
This book has turned out to be something like a bible for me. Anytime I feel really out of sorts I turn to the pages to find a good slap in the face to wake up and take charge of my life. It sits in the top ten for me.
Camerian
Aug 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: women seeking to maximize their potential
this is an incredible guide on how to care for your temple, and maintain overall health and well-being. it helped me along my path of getting rid of the things in my diet that i knew i shouldn't have been eating, yet gave a complete set of alternatives which involved lots of green foods.
Jenn
Jul 23, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: All Women
This book has been a difficult thing for me to work through...I'm still where I was a year ago in it. The discipline that you need to work through this I still haven't achieved, but someday I plan on it and think it will be well worth it.
Helese
Sep 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
I have been waiting to get this book for a long time. It has a ton of information so valuable for women. I can't wait to dive in completely.
Second Post Related to Association with God in this Book 1 2 Mar 28, 2017 03:06PM
Please Do Not Purchase if you believe in the one God 1 6 Mar 28, 2017 02:58PM

• Jambalaya: The Natural Woman's Book of Personal Charms and Practical Rituals
  • The Healer's Manual: A Beginner's Guide to Energy Healing for Yourself and Others
  • The Altar of My Soul: The Living Traditions of Santeria
  • Lord, Change Me!
  • The Hood Health Handbook: A Practical Guide to Health and Wellness in the Urban Community: 1
  • The Value in the Valley: A Black Woman's Guide Through Life's Dilemmas
  • Sisters of the Yam: Black Women and Self-Recovery
  • Maat the 11 laws of God
  • African Holistic Health
  • By Any Greens Necessary: A Revolutionary Guide for Black Women Who Want to Eat Great, Get Healthy, Lose Weight, and Look Phat
  • The Spirit of Intimacy: Ancient Teachings In The Ways Of Relationships
  • The Way of Orisa: Empowering Your Life Through the Ancient African Religion of Ifa
  • The Together Teacher: Plan Ahead, Get Organized, and Save Time!
  • Herbal Rituals: Recipes for Everyday Living
  • Of Water and the Spirit: Ritual, Magic, and Initiation in the Life of an African Shaman
  • The Five Keys to Mindful Communication: Using Deep Listening and Mindful Speech to Strengthen Relationships, Heal Conflicts, and Accomplish Your Goals
  • Writing as a Path to Awakening: A Year to Becoming an Excellent Writer and Living an Awakened Life
  • The 21-Day Consciousness Cleanse: A Breakthrough Program for Connecting with Your Soul's Deepest Purpose
“You have to plan and cultivate good health. You have to commit to good health. You have to live good health because it comes from the inside out. It comes from what you bring to your life: positive, empowering thoughts, prayers and affirmations, uplifting company, and high-quality, life-giving foods. To have excellent health you must invest time and energy into the transformation of your Sacred Body Temple. And once you’ve acquired excellent health, you must maintain it vigilantly. That’s the true divine challenge—one that you can and must meet.” 4 likes
“basic Khamitic diet consisted of beans, lentils, peas, barley, millet, nuts, fruits (such as dates, melons, and pomegranates), vegetables (such as onions, cabbage, and peppers), and healing herbs such as gotu kola, nettle, aloe, garlic, and parsley. And when they were invaded by Asian nomadic shepherds, the Heq Shaasu (Hyksos), more flesh foods entered the diet, thus sowing the seeds of our ultimate deterioration.” 2 likes