Start by marking “Love to Water My Soul” as Want to Read:
Love to Water My Soul

Love to Water My Soul (Dream Catcher)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  562 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Based on historical characters and events, Love to Water My Soul recounts the dramatic story of an abandoned white child rescued by Indians. Among Oregon's Paiute people, Shell Flower seeks love and a place of belonging...only to be cast away from her home. A remakable story of God's constancy and provision for all lovers of history, romance and faith...

Based on historical
Published November 11th 2009 by Multnomah (first published June 26th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Love to Water My Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love to Water My Soul

Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful story. Based on an actual account of a small child lost from a wagon train and raised by Indians. Asiam ( as-i-am ) falls from the last wagon on a train moving west. Her cries are not heard and she is found by an Indian. Asiam does not fit into the tribe and at 14 is banished.

This is a story of survival, will and belief in a God. An interesting and eventful read.
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read many of Jane Kirkpatrick's book and have rated them all 5 stars. However, this if probably the best one yet. From the first page to the end of the book, I was fascinated with the story of Asiam and how she endured her life after being left behind by her parents on their trip West; and about how she was found by a Indian and how she lived among them, but was not really accepted.
The book tells how she felt as an outcast in Indian society and how she eventually returned to her people f
Feb 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Jane Kirkpatrick wrote "Love to Water My Soul"

It was hard to get into the beginning of this book but well worth it as you leafed through the pages telling the story of a little girl lost from a wagon train. She was found by the Paiute Indians, dirty crying and scared. They took her home with them and let her live there for many years. It was an extremely hard life and a lonely one, she was felt an outcast, she slept with dogs for warmth and they became close friends.
They gave her name of shell f
May 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: most women
Recommended to Challis by: Karisa Hardy
THis was an interesting 'historical fiction'. It starts out pretty heavy emotionally. The protagonist is abandoned by her family on a wagon train headed westward and 'rescued' by an indian tribe. Her story is very pitiful and depressing, however, because this is told from her point of view as an adult whose life turns out well, she maintains an incredible uplifting, hopeful attitude throughout the telling. This is what impressed me most about the character. He ability to overcome any bitterness, ...more
Nov 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Strange, I just got this random book for free at a garage sale. They only had 1 book and since I just read Glamorama (a truly pathetic bit of drivel) I took it off their hands.
When I got hope and looked at the author's name I recognized it as the same author of a random signed book I purchased in a tiny desert town in Oregon. This one is signed too.
I gather Jane Kirkpatrick is from the Oregon desert and a real rancher. Probably tough as nails but sweet as can be. So far it's about a little white
Aug 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-cried
This book was really good. It took me a long time to actually get into the book and enjoy the story. It's about a girl, starting from the age of three, and it continues until she gets to be an adult. The whole book is about her coming to accept herself for who she is. When she was three, her parents were heading on the Oregon Trail up to somewhere new. She got left behind and Indians found her. She was in two different tribes. A big chunk of the first half is when she is with the second half. I ...more
Dec 13, 2011 rated it liked it
This little >400 page book took me longer to read than Atlas Shrugged. Therefore I don't really think I can give it a completely fair rating. It's the tale of a little white girl in Oregon getting left behind by her pioneer group and being raised by a Native American tribe. Then because of the central plot point her life changes but she always is burdened by this one thing that happened.

I had the hardest time getting into this book. There were small pockets of time when I was interested but
Chelsea Bronder
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked this novel. I live in Oregon and started reading it right before the ranchers occupied the Malheur Wildlife Refuge. This book takes place in that area and gives an idea of the life of Native Anericans as they were trying to live with white people pushing them out if their land. It was funny to hear the Bundy's talk about giving the land back to the rightful owners as I was reading about Paiute Indians forced out of their home and made to walk north into Washington during the winter. Many ...more
Rose Thygesen
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Our book club just finished reading this story of a very young white girl rescued by Indians around 1870 after getting separated from her family traveling by wagon train in Oregon. I loved the descriptions of the characters and the way of life of the various tribes. The story is not easy to read because of the many difficulties faced by the girl, but it is very worthwhile and rewarding. The strength and wisdom of her Indian mother provided a wonderful model for her. Loved seeing her growth into ...more
Della Johnson
Dec 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This author is a genius in her storytelling of historical fiction. You feel like you are watching a movie in that era of time and really see how it was with the Native American Indian culture. You hear it in the mind of this kind white child who is trying so hard to fit in and belong. She is trying to get along and stay away from trouble . Its very interesting to me how she sees in her mind, amazing writing. I'm thrilled to find this author has many books. this is my first one written by this au ...more
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Cindy Armstong
"Love to Water My Soul" is a sequel to "A Sweetness to the Soul" which was very good and Outstanding Western Novel of 1995. I really liked the first book and actually thought that the second, Love To Water My Soul, was better. I enjoy the detail and depth of he characters and tale. Kirkpatrick is an excellent story teller and it is obvious that much research goes into her work. With some vague Indian ancestry in my own family these books intrigued me from the beginning. Being from the Northwest ...more
Gwyn Valverde
Jun 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! Kirkpatrick's novels are detail-oriented and I love getting details to create a vivid picture in my imagination of the characters. The novel is about a child separated from a wagon train and being found by Indians. She struggles with a need to belong and the isolation of being an "outsider". She dreams of one day finding her family. I won't spoil it by mentioning too much more about the plot, but it caused me to think of what it means to "belong" and how God can use tough things ...more
Nov 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Awesome writer. Once again I was mesmerized by a Jane Kirkpatrick story. Beside the fact that I now reside close to the area where her story is set, I was totally absorbed by the historical and descriptive way this writer sets the stage and script of her characters on paper. This tale is written about the Native American Indians love of the land and their plight but is told by a white child who was found, abandoned and brought up by the native peoples. I am glad I own this book.
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful, based on a true story. Love the way Jane Kirkpatrick writes about extraordinary women without glossing over their difficulties and flaws, portraying their amazing strength, and testifying to the sustaining power of the Spirit in their journeys. This is my favorite book of hers so far; perhaps my favorite book I've read so far. No spoilers...just read it! It's worth your time!
Sep 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-group
I did not care for the first book in this series. However, I liked this book quite a bit. The two books are linked in that a minor character in the first book is the main character in this book. I almost didn't read this one, because the first one (A Sweetness to the Soul) wasn't that great.

I previously read another series that Jane Kirkpatrick wrote - the Kinship and Courage series. I really liked that. There are three books in the series, and each is a continuation of the previous book.
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An engaging story about a white child rescued by Indians on the Oregon Trail, based on an actual story. Shell Flower lives among the Oregon Paiute people seeking love and acceptance. This was not an easy story, but one that tells a story of the hard life the westward moving pioneers and native Americans lived.
Jun 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
I'm only part way through it. I find I'm reading it more to glean anthropological tidbits and geographic features, than I am for the story. The story is okay, it's just not what's really pulling me along. I'm curious about the tribes, the tribal locations, and reflecting on this fictional history as it relates places that I've been.
Jun 29, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was a harder reading then I am used to. If you like a book about the 1700-1800 years this is a book for you. It has history but also a love story all in one. I am not used to reading books like this but I forced myself and ended up liking it. The ending is really good and parts of it is a tear jerker.
Apr 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this historical fiction of Oregon Trail pioneers and American Indians. She is a Pacific NW Author and does an excellent job of mixing true stories and events with her fictional stories. She explains what is real for each story.
Jul 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Paiute Indians in Southern Oregon raised shell Flower after she was left behind by the wagon train her family was traveling with. The books follows Shell Flower through life as she tries to fit in with her adoptive family and then is cast away from the only family that she remembers.
May 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
This held my interst for the duration of the book. It stirred emotions and especially with regards to historical facts on the treatment of native americans. This book also made me think about way things have changed not only for Native Americans but for all groups of people. I liked the book.
Mar 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I think I liked this better than the prior novel in this series. I appreciated the reliance on God that the main character came to know. It is not an LDS book, but I liked how her faith got her through difficult circumstances.
Jun 23, 2012 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars. A young women, lost by Oregon trail pioneers, found by Indians and raised to a teen by them. Flows into previous book in the series but enjoyed the first more. Based on Oregon history.
Nov 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was a great story. I especially liked the first half when she lived with the indians. Beautifully written. The characters were very descriptive. The main character, Asiam, is a great example of love, patience, forgiving, hopeful, faithful and hard working.
Sep 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read this book last year for book club. I really enjoyed it, although a lot of the details are but a faded memory now. I do recommend it though...
Mar 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Wonderful story about a young girl-to-woman journey to "find her place" the world, in a family, within herself.
Jul 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Really great story
Kristin Shields
Read this for my book club. This is our 2012 quilt book. We will make quilts inspired by this book, to be finished in August 2012.
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
She has a nice way of putting words together that make a lovely novel. She puts positive spins to negative happenings. This is an uplifting book.
Nov 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
all time favorite of hers, wonderful.
  • The Midwife's Legacy
  • Yukon Wedding (Alaskan Brides, #1)
  • Family of the Heart
  • Second Chance Family
  • The Prairie Romance Collection: 9 Historical Romances from America's Great Plains
  • Wanted: A Family
  • Her Healing Ways (Gabriel Sisters, #3)
  • A Log Cabin Christmas Collection
  • Light of My Heart (Silver Hills Trilogy, #1)
  • Child of Promise (Brides of Culdee Creek, #4)
  • The Wedding Journey (Irish Brides, #1)
  • Tears in a Bottle
  • The Baby Compromise (Orphan Train, #3)
  • Pioneer Doctor: The Story of a Woman's Work
  • The Champion
  • Marrying the Major (The Women of Swan's Nest, #4)
Kirkpatrick brings us a story of one woman's restoration from personal grief to the meaning of community."
More about Jane Kirkpatrick...

Dream Catcher (4 books)
  • A Sweetness to the Soul (Dreamcatcher)
  • A Gathering of Finches

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99