Jump to ratings and reviews

Her dream is writing.
His is the perfect wife and mother.
Until God fulfills them both
with a dream like no other.

Twelve years ago, Faith O’Connor happily gave up her dream as a copywriter to become a wife and mother, clinging to her husband’s promise she could return someday. But when the opportunity arises to write for the Boston Herald again two days a week, her dream hits a snag … along with her marriage.

To Collin McGuire, family is everything because he never really had one of his own. Raised by a father who died early and a mother who didn’t care, Collin is determined to give his children the very best with a full-time mother. But when he denies Faith her dream, he soon discovers he’s denied his own as well … until Christmas day brings a healing through a gift like no other.

130 pages, Kindle Edition

First published October 1, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Julie Lessman

39 books1,210 followers
Julie Lessman is an award-winning author whose tagline of “Passion With a Purpose” underscores her intense passion for both God and romance. A lover of all things Irish, she enjoys writing close-knit Irish family sagas that evolve into 3-D love stories: the hero, the heroine, and the God that brings them together.

Author of The Daughters of Boston, Winds of Change, and Heart of San Francisco series, Julie Lessman was named American Christian Fiction Writers 2009 Debut Author of the Year and has garnered 18 Romance Writers of America and other awards. Voted #1 Romance Author of the year in Family Fiction magazine’s 2012 and 2011 Readers Choice Awards, Julie was also named on Booklist’s 2010 Top 10 Inspirational Fiction and Borders Best Fiction list.
Julie’s first contemporary novel, Isle of Hope, was voted on Family Fiction magazine’s “Best of 2015” list, and Surprised by Love appeared on Family Fiction magazine’s list of “Top Ten Novels of 2014.” Her independent novel A Light in the Window is an International Digital Awards winner, a 2013 Readers' Crown Award winner, and a 2013 Book Buyers Best Award winner.

Julie has also written a self-help workbook for writers entitled Romance-ology 101: Writing Romantic Tension for the Sweet and Inspirational Markets. You can contact Julie through her website and read excerpts from each of her books at www.julielessman.com.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (<1%)
1 star
1 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 50 reviews
Profile Image for Beth | Faithfully Bookish .
840 reviews175 followers
November 4, 2019
Review and giveaway featured on FaithfullyBookish.com

This sweetly steamy and inspirational romance novella will put readers in the mood to snuggle up with their spouses by the Christmas tree! Fans of A Passion Most Pure (book 1 of The Daughters of Boston series) will especially enjoy this “where are they now?” glimpse of Faith and Collin and the entire O’Connor clan. The author’s inclusion of relatable challenges and reminders to seek God’s will and apply His precepts in all areas of our lives touched my heart!

If you like stories with plenty of kisses and tasteful marital passion, A Gift Like No Other delivers! In my humble opinion, we need more stories like this one that honor, challenge, and encourage the relationship between married couples.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher and was under no obligation to post a review. The opinions expressed are my own.
Profile Image for Aimee (Getting Your Read On).
2,933 reviews242 followers
November 27, 2019
I'm Not Sure

I think this novella wasn't the best place for me to start for this author and this series. I could tell I was missing out on a lot of back story. This novella was all about the intimate relations between a married couple. It was a lot to jump right into.
Profile Image for Diana.
302 reviews20 followers
October 9, 2019
What a delight to revisit the lively O'Connors, who throughout the years have become like family to me! Julie Lessman (whom I've affectionately dubbed "la crème de la crème of sizzling romance") has penned another heartwarming, angsty story with two of my fave characters—the lovely Faith O'Connor McGuire and the super hunk of all heroes, the tall, dark, and dangerous Collin McGuire. Be sure to keep a fan handy, ladies!

Even though this is a Christmas novella there are plenty of fireworks between Faith and Collin, as stubbornness and strife threaten to tear apart their once quintessential marriage. Collin has always been a female magnet (a role he's always secretly enjoyed), but will he give in to temptation as feelings of rejection from Faith come into play?

With sensitivity and godly wisdom, Lessman explores how a lack of communication and failure to compromise in a marriage can result in misunderstandings and assumptions—leaving destruction in their wake. On Christmas Eve in the O'Connor's pine-scented parlor, aglow with twinkly lights, candles, and love, do Faith and Connor discover "a gift like no other"?

*I was given a complimentary copy of this book from the author in exchange for my honest opinion. I was not required to write a positive review.*
Profile Image for MJSH.
986 reviews40 followers
November 2, 2019
Julie Lessman’s books are powerful, deeply moving, thought-provoking, inspirational and beautifully romantic. And this Christmas novella just proves her mastery with words and emotions. This book is Christmas novella #5 in the O’Connor family series with six full-length novels in addition to the novellas. I actually haven’t read any of the books in the series but now feel the overwhelming urge to read all of them after finishing this novella. This can be read and fully enjoyed as a stand-alone. If you love Christmas novellas, especially historical ones, you will absolutely love this book.

This story focuses on Faith, the oldest O’Connor daughter, and Collin who have been married for 17 years. Their marriage is passionate, all-consuming, and fulfilling but they tumble into problems of married life that attack their heart, mind, spirit, and faith. The characters and plot address the sanctity and beauty of marriage and ways to keep marriage as a reflection of God’s love. Reading about married love and commitment was quite refreshing and I was gently reminded of the pitfalls that we can avoid in a married relationship.

I received a copy of the book from author/publisher via Singing Librarian Books Tour and was under no obligation to post a positive review. All comments and opinions are solely my own.
Profile Image for Courtney Clark.
549 reviews98 followers
November 8, 2019
Whew! Julie Lessman manages to balance sweetly passionate romances with deep spiritual themes and lessons. A Gift Like No Other does this well, showing the power of prayer and trust in the midst of marriage and everyday life. This Christmas novella will be particularly appreciated by readers of her “Daughters of Boston” or “Winds of Change” series because of all the familiar faces and wonderful family dynamics.
As the summary points out, this story is a little spicier in the romantic department while still being delicate and careful. The romantic scenes between husband and wife are necessary to the story because they play an important part of the plot purposes in illustrating negativity, trust issues, and even (rekindled) attraction within a marriage.
I also appreciated the friendship portrayed between Collin and Brady. Knowing each of their histories, it was good to see them supportive of each other — and the dynamic between Faith and her sisters still delightfully the same! The honesty of this story is the best part, with its message of trust and cherishing the gifts God has given.

Thank you to SLB Tours for the review copy. This is my honest review.
November 7, 2019
Have you ever read books that you fall in love with just from the blurb? And then, when you open the book and read it, it didn’t let you down? Yea, I get that with every single Julie Lessman book I read. No matter if it’s a full length, or a novella, I get all the feels and am never disappointed. Lessman truly delivered us a gift like no other with this read!

I fell in love with Faith and Conner in Lessman’s Daughters Of Boston series, so when I learned this novella was part of their story, I couldn’t wait to dive in! I missed the sweet passion, and the way they held strong to their faith and love. I will tell you this right now, if you didn’t love them before, you will absolutely love them now!

Watching as Faith had to weigh her heart and her dreams was beautiful. Lessman made me feel as though I was Faith while reading this, her emotions and passions becoming my own. Seeing Collin conflicting those emotions was stunning. His troubles with what he wanted for his family weren’t accrued lightly. They were legitimate and powerful, but Christmas time is a time for healing and love to shine through and reading their story, really gives me hope for my own life!

This is beyond 5 star worthy novella. The messages that are woven within aren’t overbearing but are just right to renew the reads hope. The passion that Lessman incorporates is the perfect spark-inducing amount, and makes the reader feel good that they’ve taken a chance on this read. If you’ve never read a Julie Lessman novel, then run, don’t walk, to grab this one up. You will not be sorry! Then, when you’ve finished this one, grab up all the others!

*I received a complimentary copy of this book from Publisher/Author and was under no obligation to post a review, positive or negative.*
Profile Image for Jessica Baker (A Baker's Perspective).
1,107 reviews54 followers
November 6, 2019
This Christmas story was everything I wanted it to be and more. It had just the right amount of passion to keep from blushing, but wanting to have some snuggle time with your hubby. I know some people may be against “passion” in their stories, but I think there’s a time and a place. Obviously I would want it to be with a married couple, and I wouldn’t want it so detailed that I felt uncomfortable reading it. Not to worry – Lessman brings the proper amount of spice to this story.

Here’s the thing – passion is a part of marriages. Right? But it can also be a problem if there is a lack of passion on either side. I cannot thank Lessman enough for writing her stories, such as this, that deal with these emotions and issues that married couple go through. First, it makes me feel like I’m not alone. Second, it encourages me to know that people do make it through the turmoil and get their marriages back on track. I think that is so important in today’s world!

Faith and Collin were fun to read about, and easy to relate to. I’m glad Lessman included both POV’s because it added to the depth of the story. Also reminds you that there are two sides to every story, and we need to be open to see it! Lessman has delivered a delightfully passionate story that will sweep readers off their feet. Highly encourage you to read it!

I received a complimentary copy of this book. I was not required to write a favorable review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Sherida Stewart.
189 reviews7 followers
October 18, 2019
Loved it! Snuggle up with a cup of orange-cinnamon tea and a sugary snickerdoodle, ready to be blessed by this sweet, spicy story!

Devoted fans of Julie Lessman’s writing know her books are filled with passionate emotions. Her well-developed characters settle into a special place in the reader’s heart. This is so true with this story as Collin and Faith’s seventeen-year marriage faces a few challenges, which all marriages do over time. I loved the way this husband and wife confronted their problems with advice from their family and with the realization of God’s gifts. Very touching and very real. The heartfelt emotions of the Christmas Eve epilogue provide the perfect ending for this story...like a present for the reader, wrapped in festive paper and topped with a sparkly bow....the blessings of a gift like no other.

Favorite quote: “Guilt is like a cancer that eats away at our soul, robbing us of joy, hope, and all too often, the very forgiveness that will set us free.”

A note of warning from the author: Due to a subject matter that deals with marital problems, please be advised that this sweet inspirational novella contains a higher level of romantic passion.

*I received a complimentary ebook with no requirement to write a review. I’m pleased to offer my honest opinion about this story.

Profile Image for (Jen) The Artist Librarian.
342 reviews32 followers
November 8, 2019
To borrow an oft-used phrase in the series, "Sweet mother of Job," how I have missed the O'Connors! I can barely believe that it has been practically 12 years since A Passion Most Pure, Julie Lessman's debut novel that introduced us to protagonists Faith O'Connor, Collin McGuire, and the rest of the memorable O'Connor family was published. Set in 1936, twenty years after the events of her first novel, Faith and Collin are navigating married life with ease until a career opportunity causes conflict between the two.

One of my "ult 'ships" (ultimate relationships) or pairings from Julie Lessman has always been Faith and Collin. Faith of course, was an inspiration with her spiritual maturity, the relatable "good girl" compared to her wilder sister, and Collin, though I normally am not a fan of the "bad boy" trope, eventually won me over with his growing faith and I admit, romantic (can I say "sexy?") ways. ;-)
As always, Lessman goes full tilt with swoon-worthy romance (on the "spicier" side of Christian Romance) equally matched with a strong spiritual thread.

Ever since her first novel, where Lessman gave prominence to parents Marcy and Patrick's relationship besides her younger main couple, I've grown to appreciate her attention on married couples, which you don't often seen in romance novels: What comes after the "happily ever after." It's kind of surprising that more Christian Romance authors don't choose to do so ... Marriages have different types of conflict and situations that make for interesting plots and you can definitely up the romance with married couples. Though on the "edgy" side for the genre, Lessman keeps it classy with martial scenes that tastefully closes before things get too steamy.

When a mother should return to the workforce and her career or remain at home has been a discussion many couples have probably had for over a century. While it's easy for contemporary readers to paint Collin's views as being unreasonable, Lessman was able to give him motivations and insecurities behind his decisions that were understandable (besides the historical context) and allowed him to remain in a sympathetic light as the reader patiently waits with his wife Faith for him to come around. I also appreciated how Faith, even though known as one of the more spiritually mature characters in the series, also struggles and draws on the encouragement and reminders from God, her sisters, and mother. The "girl talk" conversations reminded me just how close the O'Connor ladies are as a family and I was here for it all! Finally, it was kind of neat how a couple minor characters and situations from A Passion Most Pure was reflected back in this story.

If there are any critiques, it would be that there are many characters that felt like they were just "name dropped." The O'Connor boys and their spouses for example, Sean and Emma, along with Steven and Annie, always seem to barely be mentioned in these novellas. I'm not sure if it's because the other couples are more popular, but of course, with the ever growing cast of the O'Connors (How many grandchildren must Patrick and Marcy have by now???) it's understandable and probably a good thing that the focus is placed on a certain number of characters.

I also still feel like the book covers for the O'Connor Christmas novellas feel too contemporary, especially the images of the main couples. This minor quibble is understandable because these novellas have been independently published by the author and it is much more difficult to get accurate historical garbed models or images than contemporary ones. However more importantly, Lessman's writing is just as strong as her traditionally published novels and the quality of her follow-up novellas seamlessly continue the stories of the O'Connors for grateful fans everywhere. As always, I eagerly look forward to what Julie Lessman writes next!

The O'Connor Family Saga (so far):

Series Prequel:
A Light in the Window (2012)

Daughters of Boston Trilogy (2008-2009):

2. A Heart Revealed
3. A Love Surrendered

Christmas Novellas:
A Whisper of Hope (2017)
The Best Gift of All (2017)
A Gift Like No Other (2019)

[Disclosure: I received a complimentary e-ARC copy of this book for review purposes through SLB Blog Tours.]
Profile Image for Julia.
2,331 reviews61 followers
November 8, 2019
A Gift Like No Other by Julie Lessman is a Christian historical novel that focuses on a marriage. It is set in 1930’s America where the roles of husband and wife were different to today.
Gradually women were breaking free from the role of stay-at-home mum but there were still men who held the belief that a married woman, and especially one with children should stay at home. “It’s the thirties… where married women have no business in the workplace.” The domineering spirit of a husband means resentment builds within a marriage.
The novel explores a marriage where cracks are appearing. A marriage should be a three way partnership… husband, wife and God. Prayer is the glue that cements a marriage. Marriage as God intended means we should love our spouses as Christ loved the church.
It is important to surround ourselves with godly friends and family, who love us enough to correct us if we fall into temptation. There are characters who have derailed lives. Their guilt weighs heavy. “Guilt is like a cancer that eats away at our soul.” We need to release ourselves from the prison of guilt by confessing our sins to God who forgives us and enables us to walk in the light of His forgiveness.
A Gift Like No Other intimately explores the relationship between a husband and wife in a Christian marriage. If you like sweet Christian novels, I would urge caution as this book may not be for you. I found there was too much information about what goes on behind closed doors (nothing graphic) for me to feel comfortable, even though it was sensitively handled.
The novel shows the importance of having God in the middle of our marriages and of treating each other well.
I received this book for free. A favourable review was not required and all views expressed are my own.
Profile Image for Lisa.
322 reviews5 followers
October 20, 2019
I give A Gift Like No Other 5 stars. This novella is a standalone, but if you have the read the series, you will know more of the background of the all characters. This is about a Christian marriage during a rough patch. So here is a WARNING: Due to a subject matter that deals with marital problems, please be advised that this sweet inspirational novella contains a higher level of romantic passion.
I definitely loved the characters Faith and Collin, they were one of my favorite couples from the series! Coin can be so swoon worthy and Faith is just so sweet you can’t help but love her. They are both just so sweet and so in love. As usual with Julie Lessman’s books I love how she always has passion, not only between the hero and heroine but also passion for Christ. And trust me there was definitely passion and romance in this book! Since they were having a rough patch there were a few parts that made me sad, which will happen when you are so invested and connected to the characters. However, they have a HEA and I loved the book!! I also love how she always manages to have a practical life lesson in there. There are great reminders for any marriage because marriage can be hardwork. It also reminded me of the importance and the power of prayer!! This is a book I would gladly eat over and over again! I definitely enjoyed A Gift Like No Other and would highly recommend it!
Profile Image for Erica.
Author 11 books206 followers
November 11, 2019
Have I mentioned recently how much I adore Collin and Faith? No, I don't think I have. So here we go!

From A Passion Most Pure to A Gift Like No Other, I have loved this couple! Walking with them through their sometimes difficult yet heartwarming courtship, into their beautiful marriage has felt more like a privilege than entertainment. And while I might say that Emma and Sean became my favorite couple when I first read A Heart Revealed, Collin and Faith will always hold a special place in my heart.

This story only intensified that feeling. It was painful, watching them go through a rough patch in their marriage. But their love for one another shined and their faith is so intense, you can feel it. I love how Julie Lessman creates such compelling stories from what otherwise could be considered normal, everyday life. As well as giving us a realistic peek into the way people lived and thought from the mid-1910s into the 1930s.

After such a long break from the O'Connor family, A Gift Like No Other has renewed my love for this fictional, inspirational family. And now, I cannot help myself. I am going to revisit my favorite of the O'Connor saga, A Heart Revealed. After getting a satisfying dose of Collin and Faith, I'm excited to reread Emma and Sean!
Profile Image for Carolyn.
Author 12 books235 followers
November 20, 2019
What fun to visit with the O'Connor family again, esp. the couple who started it all off - Faith and Collin!

In a world in which women (myself included) may lack the support and close-knit companionship of other women, especially family, the opportunity to eavesdrop on the conversations of the O'Connor women is a real gift. Their frank discussions of intimacy and marital love in the framework of Christian family life capture a little something of what those of us displaced by time, distance, and a dearth of sisters are missing.

I always appreciate Julie Lessman's "passion with a purpose" and her refusal to gloss over sexuality, temptation, and chastity, instead acknowledging intimacy's proper place in marriage both for uniting spouses and bringing children into the world. (Except the way she writes it is a lot more fun!) In a world that has firmly told God to stay out of the bedroom, she introduces Him through characters who welcome Him (eventually) into every bit of their lives through prayer and practice.

A little family Christmas celebration at the end demonstrates again all that family can be.

Profile Image for Brittany.
2,159 reviews139 followers
November 6, 2019
I loved seeing into the heart of Collin and Faith’s marriage, with both their passion and love for each other, as well as their conflicts that needed to be worked out. This novella showed their human reactions to hurts, fears, and insecurities yet it also revealed hearts that, while perhaps stubborn at first, eventually yeilded to taking things to God in prayer and petition.

I thoroughly enjoyed this peek back into the lives of some of my favorite characters to read about!

I received a complimentary copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

You can read this review on my blog:
Profile Image for Emily Yager.
Author 9 books82 followers
November 4, 2019
This is one of those warm fuzzy reads that is perfect for curling up with a cup of hot tea.

This novella, while part of a series, stands just fine on it’s own. It shows the power that prayer has within a troubled marriage. Married couple, Collin and Faith, are going through a rough patch in their marriage. This story does a great job of showing how their faith and prayer helps them through it.

I loved this book. It’s very inspiring, emotional, and hopeful read with an HEA.

Warning though – it’s a 18+ read. While it is a clean read, it deals with marital issues and is a bit more steamy then the typical Inspirational Romance.
Profile Image for Martha.
1,784 reviews50 followers
November 2, 2019
In this continuing story of Faith and Colin, I enjoyed so many things about it. I found myself though, having trouble connecting with the character on occasion. I think it is just the place I am in right now, where it just wasn't hitting me right.

I would recommend this book to people that have a strong marriage, but have some minor troubles here and there. The time period is set when women were still a bit looked down on for working outside the home, which was hard for me, but accurate to the time period.
Profile Image for Veronica.
981 reviews6 followers
April 19, 2020
I don't usually like books dealing with marriage issues but I loved the original love story of Faith and Collin so I was interested in reading this one. I liked catching up with the O'Connor family, especially Faith and Charity, seventeen years after Faith and Collin marry. It was interesting to see how Faith and Collin dealt with the idea of her working outside the home a couple days a week as issues from Collin's childhood came up and misunderstandings arose. There was plenty of romance and passion as befitting our couple from "A Passion Most Pure." There was girl talk about marriage and there were a few scenes of the beginning of lovemaking within marriage so this would be too passionate for teens. I thought the advice given was godly and wise for couples dealing with conflict and the spiritual content was well done. I would recommend this story if you liked the O'Connor books or enjoy seeing how couples work through their troubles.
Profile Image for Pris.
621 reviews73 followers
February 25, 2020
A Gift Like No Other was simply beautiful :) it's the perfect "epilogue" novella to the O'Connor family series, and it has Ms. Lessman's usual brand of Christian Faith and Sweet passion (this means that the main characters are married, and no, the author will never write gratuitous/graphic scenes, but it does show the passion and love that leads up to it. If in doubt if the book is for you, just go and read the first chapter in the "Look Inside" feature).
Having only read A Passion Most Pure, it didn't take away from my enjoyment of this novella. I loved getting to see Collin and Faith both as a married couple and parents, but also loved the great community they have with their whole family. Of course, the book wouldn't be complete without some problems and temptations, but I think the author handled them well, while also giving the readers the perfect ending (not exactly the one I had in mind, but still perfect). Finally, I loved the takeaway/reminder to pray at all times and about everything, because that's how much our Father loves and cares for us.
Completely recommended!! :)
155 reviews1 follower
March 18, 2020
A Good Ever After

I had mixed reactions to this throughout. A Passion Most Pure was the first Julie Lessman book I had ever read and I fell in love with her writing and her characters. It’s nice following up with not just Faith and Collin but the whole family even if it’s just snippets of facts thrown into a scene.
There were some disappointments but overall a good book.
155 reviews2 followers
March 22, 2020
Excellent

I have read the two series’ that involve the O’Connor family. This is an excellent addition to the story. I think Faith and Collin are my favorites of all the characters. This is a brief story of some struggles they face as a married couple. It is a beautiful story attesting to their love for each other, but had a powerful message of the importance of prayer.
12 reviews1 follower
March 28, 2020
Faith and Collin's story has to be one of the most romantic stories ever written. I love every time Julie Lessman gives us a glimpse into their passionate, God-centered marriage. This book is truly a delight and a must read for historical-romance novel enthusiasts!
399 reviews1 follower
November 16, 2022
Omg the emotional journey for reader and for Faith and Colin. Annoyed with Colin for his adamant no to Faith's request, smiles for the family moments, the no don't do it to a particular scene, to relating to how guilt, shame and other emotions life throws at you through experiences. Great read
Profile Image for Elizabeth.
91 reviews
November 2, 2022
love visiting the O’Connor family!

A nice quick read with a good message. Almost a marriage book hidden in a Novella, but in a really good way!
Profile Image for Wendi Huisman kitsteiner.
29 reviews2 followers
February 16, 2020
Julie Lessman is my favorite Christian fiction writer next to Francine Rivers. Can’t recommend her enough. If you like clean romance and great character development you will love Julie. I also love the historical fiction aspect of many of her books.
Profile Image for Sarah Vanscoyoc.
312 reviews
November 16, 2019
Disclaimer: I’m not typically someone who enjoys novellas or intentionally seeks out Christmas stories. They just aren’t usually my cup of tea . . . but I do make exceptions for certain authors, and Julie Lessman is indubitably one of them. My usual arguments for avoiding them just don’t hold water with hers. So, if you’re like me, a long-held skeptic of anything that is less than 200 pages in length, give this one a try - I highly doubt you’ll be disappointed.
I’ve long been a fan of Ms. Lessman’s books and I adore the O’Conner family and all the additions they’ve collected over the course of the series. Even saying that, when I saw this would be a novella about Faith and Collin McGuire, I admit to slight skepticism. Theirs was the very first book in the series and they’ve played parts in several of the other ones as well, so what more could there be to tell? Quite a bit, as it turns out. If you haven’t read the rest of the series, you may find yourself playing catch up a bit, regarding names, who everyone is, and with some of the stories they tell. Though I do think the author did an excellent job of explaining a bit, without slowing the story down. So if this your first foray into the group, I would still say, “go for it!” just anticipate wanting to find the rest of the books ASAP when you’re done.
I would like to note something, though it’s already stated in the description: this story is about a married couple and deals with some marital issues. So with that in mind, there are some “steamier” scenes than one tends to find in most Christian fiction. The author’s tag line, “ Passion with a Purpose” definitely fits. Even saying that, as a married lady myself, I truly appreciated how Ms. Lessman handles even the sensitive topics in marriage. Her writing continues to point back to the Designer and Creator of all things, including marriage. Though this book is fiction, many of the discussions within it had me stepping back and double-checking my own marriage and attitudes. Would I still recommend this book to an unmarried woman? Yes, I would. But I would include the understanding that this novella carries with it some heavier topics regarding marriage and enduring through the struggles. As well as some scenes that may encourage a blush - even Faith blushes at some of the conversations and she’s an “old married lady.”
Now, before I make it sound entirely boring, trust me, it certainly isn’t. I can’t help but love the eclectic O’Conner clan, with their banter, random advice, love, and shenanigans. I love how regardless of what’s going on, the family is always there for one another. Even fathers-in-law to their sons-in-law and best friends to their hard-headed co-owners. And some of the conversations are definitely laugh-out-loud-while-reading-in-a-crowded-place worthy.
Overall, I would highly recommend this book - especially to married or soon-to-be-married ladies.

*My thanks to the author for my copy of this book! I was not required to write a review, positive or otherwise, and have not been compensated for it in any way. All opinions expressed are my own.
Profile Image for Grace Johnson.
Author 11 books282 followers
December 19, 2020
There is no place like home.
How true that old adage is! There simply is no place like the O’Connors’ in Boston, at least for me. 😊 I fell in love with this family not even a month ago, and now I can’t get them out of my head. From Patrick and Marcy’s strong marriage and deep love for family, Faith with her spirit and Collin with his signature humor, Lizzie and Brady and their brood, wild Katie and her husband Luke, hilarious—and uncontrollable—Gabe, to my all-time favorite O’Connor sister Charity and her husband—my kind of man—Mitch Dennehy—this group of Irish mules and seductive sisters and dramatic love lives has stolen my heart.
Which is why I thank God—and Julie Lessman—for this Christmas novella.
I’ve read plenty of series—historical and contemporary, romantic and fantasy—about families so close-knit and warm and welcoming, but never has one truly been as real and beautiful as Lessman’s O’Connors. And that’s probably why their stories never end. When one trilogy ends and the story of a younger sibling opens up, Faith and Collin and Marcy and Patrick are still there, imparting wisdom and experiencing trials of their own. When another character has a difficult problem, you know who is still there to do her thing? Charity, of course! And when the main couple of a previous book are finally expecting their first child, what does our beloved author do? She tells their story too!
This novella of Collin and Faith McGuire and their dreams of a happy family and a career as a writer, respectively, has made me smile! Collin and Faith introduced me to Julie's O'Connors and kicked off the series, so it's only natural to love these guys and their story!
(Side note: All of the Christmas novellas take place in the early- to mid-1930s, after the events of both The Daughters of Boston and Winds of Change. Therefore, I highly suggest reading both series before these novellas, because of spoilers—such as who the second set of O’Connor siblings end up with—but I haven’t read Winds of Change yet and was still able to grasp the situation and didn’t feel like any pieces were missing. However, I already know who marries who and what have you, so nothing was spoiled for me. Can’t say the same for you.)

BookWorm
Profile Image for Julie Graves.
892 reviews27 followers
November 4, 2019
It is always fun to check back in with the O'Conner family. If you haven't read The Daughters of Boston series you must check them out!

This Christmas novella features Faith and Collin. They've been married for 17 years now. Faith's dream has always been to be a writer but Collin has no desire for her to work outside of the home. What happens when communication in marriage is broken down and dreams are unfulfilled?

One of the things I love about Julie Lessman's books are the way that characters are portrayed honestly. From the ugly to the wonderful. Another thing I love is the spiritual aspect of each book. I love to see characters that deal with real-life situations be redeemed by a Savior who loves them and wants what is perfect for them. Something else the author brings out in me is an emotional connection to the characters. Whether I am caught up in their excitement or even angry at them because of their behavior. Collin made me mad because of his behavior. He put himself in a situation that he had been warned about and that made me mad. Plus he was dealing with issues from his childhood that he never really explained to Faith. Faith caused her own irritation in me for something she did but I have to say I thought she was the better person in that she was quick to ask forgiveness and willing to do whatever it took to make the situation right. Along the emotional roller-coaster ride of emotions that the author evokes is definitely the ramped-up sexual tension between the characters. She knows how to write a great love scene that gets the heart pumping. I'm not talking graphic sexual details here, but love and desire between a married couple...whew! The spiritual lesson of praying in all things is truly "A Gift Like No Other." Once again Julie Lessman has touched my heart and spirit through her characters.

1,553 reviews
November 7, 2019
I do believe that the novel, A Passion Most Pure, is my favorite Lessman novel, and might just be my favorite novel of all time. So I was tremendously excited when she was going to focus her latest Christmas story on Faith and Conner and this story, A Gift Like No Other, does not disappoint.

It has been about 17 years of marriage and three kids later for this very loving couple and they are still refreshingly in love. And at times they are very passionate about that love. So be forewarned, this novel is higher up on the romantic passion scale. Which was alright with me especially since they have some years of marriage behind them and their marriage is still intact.

However, not everything is bliss and both Faith and Conner still have some learning curves in their marriage. Probably all married couples should take note. Author Lessman has a way of showing God’s truth without ever being preachy, she shows it through her characters and what they have learned and realized. There is a lot of gold nuggets in this novella that I took to heart. Sometimes what wasn’t good in a marriage for a time doesn’t mean it will always be wrong. Sometimes spouses dreams need to be realized and as our lovely couple realize, when that is squashed there is a world of hurt. Sometimes our spouses are still affected by the past, and we must love them throught it. There is so much more. If author Lessman wrote a marriage counseling book- I would definitely read it and recommend to others.

I can hardly wait till these stories are in print. Looking forward to the next one.

I was provided with a copy of this novel from the author. I was not required to post a positive review and all views and opinions are my own.

1,516 reviews17 followers
November 5, 2019
MY THOUGHTS ON THIS BOOK

Another sweet Romance from one of my very favorite Romance writers. As avid readers of Ms. Lessman’s books, we all know the passion she has in all of her books, and this one is very passionate. Collin and Faith were experiencing marriage problems, it is the 1930’s and Collin strongly believes in women staying at home raising their children instead of working, but Faith is just as determined that she work. And Collin is not a happy husband.

These two well developed, head strong characters had me both laughing and crying as Collin and Faith have the fight of all fights in their 17 years of marriage. And following their mistakes, discussions for help, and their kids asking what is wrong, Ms. Lessman does a fantastic job of weaving the problems together with scripture on what the Bible says about their issues. This story shows that even the couples everyone may think has a perfect marriage, have problems and sometimes major ones. And it takes a lot of prayer, support and trusting God to fix the issues. And though this is a wonderful book for married couples, I do not recommend it for those who are not married, whether it be couples or single. See Julie’s note at the  beginning of this review.

A big thank you to Julie Lessman for a copy of this book, and for inviting me to join this tour. I love this sweet author as well as her books. If you have never read a book by Ms. Lessman, I highly recommend any of her books, and you can start with this one!

A copy of this book was given to me by the author or publisher. I am not required to write a positive review. The opinions here in this review are totally mine alone. I am disclosing this with my review in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

Displaying 1 - 30 of 50 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.