Start by marking “More Than Just Mum” as Want to Read:
More Than Just Mum

More Than Just Mum

Hannah Thompson loves her family beyond words… but sometimes, just sometimes, she wishes she could be recognised as more than just ‘mum’.

Eldest son Dylan is soon to be flying the nest, sixteen-year-old Scarlet keeps asking about penalties for worryingly specific crimes, they’ve forgotten world book day and Benji absolutely will not be Where’s Wally again, and it’s at least
Kindle Edition
Expected publication: December 7th 2019 by One More Chapter

To ask other readers questions about More Than Just Mum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Than Just Mum

Start your review of More Than Just Mum
Finitha Jose
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can't remember the last time I laughed so much reading a book. From the very first page to the last this novel was absolutely hilarious and so real. And what surprised me most that I was not able to guess where this story was heading at. The book features the day to day life of Hannah Thompson who is struggling with . . . well, practically everything.
Rebecca Smith for sure is a gifted writer finding humour even in tragic situations. If you are a mother, you are going to find yourself in here.
Donna Hines
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, netgalley
I always save the best for last and this was THE BEST!!
Kudos, to all those moms like self pulling double duty and YES - even those who are married with hard working husbands.
Look - Life is flawed with plenty of ups & downs but the ride- OH the SWEET Ride! IS WORTH EVERY PENNY!
Sure, I'm from the life of 'Hard Knocks' so relating to this was not hard for me and based on reviews we've all been there and done that with many of us getting the award (divorce, bankruptcy, homelessness, and zero
Alison
Hannah Thompson is a mother of three and a part-time English teacher, due to cuts in the science department budget which led to her job as a Biology teacher being redundant. Her eldest child Dylan is soon off to University, her middle child Scarlet (note the single 't') is asking rather suspicious about specific crimes and her youngest child Benji is the butt of all his older siblings' humour. When Hannah and her husband Nick work out how much money they will need to give Dylan for living ...more
Jena Henry
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How fun- someone wrote a book about me and my life! And even funnier, I noticed from other reviews about this book, that the reviewers all thought the book was about them, as well. What does this say about being a wife and mother, daughter, friend and teacher?!

Apparently as main character British Hannah Thomas moans, “We are not living our best lives.” Hannah decides that she wants to begin a new chapter in her life, a life where she is the star. But first, she has to make beans on toast for
Emmie (Oncemorewithreading)
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I saw this book and read the synopsis I knew that this was a book I wanted to read. I want to pat my past self on the back because this book was everything I didn’t realise I needed in my life.

I absolutely loved the Thompson family, especially Hannah who is doing her best juggling everything life throws at her, all the while being unsure about her career and how quickly her children are growing up. The characters were very well developed and honestly had me in hysterics! Their
Sally Tyrer
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The title of this book and the blurb really appealed to me, particularly being a mum of a certain age with older children so I couldn’t wait to start reading it!
Funny, realistic and totally relatable, I raced through this book as I couldn’t wait to see what would happen next!
Hannah a perimenopausal mother of three, wife of nick, walker of the dog and part time English teacher is at a crossroads in her life, teenage children giving her grief, her class of unruly children making teaching
Nicola Clough
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book really took my fancy by the title and cover if the book and it didn't let me down at all and was so funny and such an easy quick read. Hannah was so relatable and you feel for her so much. So realistic and full of a mother who is a teacher but at a crossroads can she decide what to do next it's a brilliant read.

Hannah is a mother of three teaching English to a very difficult class and her children are growing up and giving her grief and she's come to a crossroads in life and really
Angie F
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, it was a real laugh out loud read. It was good to read about a couple who still had a good relationship even after 20 years and 3 kids. I thought Hannah was hilarious especially when she constantly jumped to the wrong conclusion. I don't want to spoil the book for other readers so I won't give away any of the best lines, suffice to say that there are some really witty one liners. I'll be looking out for this author in the future.
Review posted on Goodreads and Amazon
Agi
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-releases, 2019

Hannah Thompson is in her forties, married, has three children and is a biology teacher turned into an English teacher to a class nine students more interested in writing on each other's clothes with felt - tip markers than learning about George Orwell. At home, her eldest son Dylan is soon off to University, the middle one, Scarlet, not only bothers her parents about her name all the time (have you noticed the single "t"? Exactly!) but also asks rather suspicious questions about specific crimes
Ritu Bhathal
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What's not to like?

Hannah Thompson is a woman - so am I
She is a wife - yup, same here
A mother - *nods* I've got 2 kids, a fur baby and two feathered ones, she has 3 children and a dog
A teacher - yes, yet another similarity!
An aspiring author - yet another similarity
Has a hubby who is quietly supportive of her dreams but doesn't always get the support quite right - check!
Works part-time - no... alas I am a full-time teacher, wife, mother and wannabe writer!

Oh my God, if this woman had only 2
Noemi Proietti
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a fun and entertaining read that will make you laugh (even on a train full of people that then turn to look at you in a weird way, true story!) then you should pick up Not Just A Mum, the fantastic debut novel by Rebecca Smith.

The protagonist is Hannah Thompson, in her forties, married, three children (two teenagers and one adorable ten-year-old boy), a biology teacher turned into an English teacher to a class of students who are more interested in pulling each other’s
yorkshirebooknerd
Laugh out loud funny in parts this book was just what I needed. A warm, witty and disturbingly accurate depiction of what it’s like to be a mum of 3, with a great husband, a less than satisfying job and concerns over money.

Hannah is a part time English teacher, whose eldest son is about to go off to university. Amidst worrying about the additional financial costs, she has a 16 year old daughter asking increasingly more suspicious questions about very specific crimes, a 10 year old with a
Alison
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A hilarious but oh so relatable tale of balancing motherhood with life.
Hannah and her husband have three children, and come to the realisation that in order for their eldest child to be able to go to university, their income has to increase. As Hannah is only teaching three days a week on a temporary contract that means she has to come up with a plan for her employment.
And so commences a hilarious venture into EL James's territory whilst placating the awful Miriam and braving the abysmal Year
Kathleen
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ll tell you now that when you start reading More Than Just Mum, it will seem familiar. You’ve met these characters before, you think. There’s Hannah, the hard working mother, her husband Nick and their three children, dog and hamster. The genre of bored middle aged housewives and their struggles has been overworked, you think. Stop right there. More Than Just Mum, Rebecca Smith’s debut novel, is different. Do not put it down. Please, please, please don’t put it down.

Hannah, the before
Shalini
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lovely humorous take on the life of a mum of 3 kids with all its bells and whistles.

My first book by author Rebecca Smith, and I was smiling/laughing my way at the antics of this family. The main character mum Hannah was etched in a detailed manner. Losing her job, becoming a part time English teacher and looking after 3 kids and a husband, she had to find her humor, else go bonkers. Fast.

I loved the way the author wrote the incidents in Hannah's life. They were the perfect snapshots where I
Heidi
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meet Hannah Thompson, 43-year-old mother and part-time English teacher. She wants to be more than just mum and she wants a job she actually likes. So she tries to write a realistic romance novel. She tries. And that's it. That's the book.

Weird pacing, forgettable characters and an utterly forgettable plot. Insofar as there is a plot, because nothing happens in this book. I think it's supposed to be funny, but the humour is so forced that it misses the mark completely. Maybe it's me. Maybe this
Coriander
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this ebook from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.

I loved this book so much! I wish it had gone on for so much longer. It was hilarious and fun and a quick read. I flew through it and I enjoyed every second of it. I'm not a mother, but Hannah was so relatable anyway. As an aspiring writer myself, I really empathized with her as she was struggling to write her book.

Pretty much every aspect of this book was very appealing to me. The cover is cute, the story takes
Kayleigh Brown
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hannah Thompson, wife, mother, teacher and friend. Wants more from life, to be more than those thing's. Who can blame her? Right? We all want to live our best life be something more than those labels.

A fabulously funny and dynamic read. A great cast of loveable and endearing characters. A story told from everyday life that you just can't help but relate to, cocky teenagers, family pets, disasters,calamity and love. I really hope that there is going to be more from this family because the author
Kathleen Gray
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Funny and totally relatable, this is the tale of Hannah (and her family) as she sets her life in a new direction. She's teaching a subject she doesn't like, her kids are teens, and she's not relating as well as she once did to her husband Nick. So what does she decide to do? Why write a book of course. Not just a book, but a book of sorta soft erotica. SO, of course she needs to work on this with her husband. Smith's a good storyteller- she highlights not only the fun parts of life but also the ...more
Annmarie Reddick
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
ARC: More Than Just Mum is about Hannah, a mom to three who also works part time as an English teacher. She begins to feel underappreciated and wants a change. In an attempt to find herself she writes a book and sets out to get it published.

I really enjoyed this book! It was very engaging and I couldn't stop reading. The characters were very developed and well written. It was very easy top picture exactly what was happening and what the characters were doing.

I highly recommend this book! It is
Rebecca
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. Hannah was one of the most relatable characters I have read in quite some time. Her quest to find herself while supporting her family financially and raising her children is hilarious, and her story is one I am sure many mothers can relate to on multiple levels. My only complaint is that the cover doesn't do this book justice. There is more incite and great writing in the pages of this book than the pink cover might lead you to believe.

I received this book free from NetGalley
LianaReads blog
Dec 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I can easily see myself in this story although I am younger and working but have two children.
I laugh out loud many times, I felt her struggle in so many moments and I love the kids, each one with their own personality and so reliable.
But for as great as the writing was, the great mixed of characters and the story overall, I just couldn't get to like Hannah. There's something I just can't put my finger on it but I cannot get her close to my heart.
I will recommend this book because
Rebecca Phillips
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
More Than Just Mum follows 43 year old part-time English teacher and mother of three, Hannah Thompson. She is fed up with teaching a subject that wasn't her specialty and parenting teenagers so she tries to reinvent herself. Channelling her inner E.L. James, she attempts to write a Fifty Shades-esque book.

Although the book is funny in parts, I felt like it just trundled along and there was no real chase or climax.
Melinda Anders
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute story of the life of a Mum and the challenges she meets each day with her family. Even though our family loves us they tend to run us through the wringers. Hannah Thompson has a teaching job that she doesn't enjoy. She starts to look for other jobs that could pay more since her oldest son is heading to university next year.
A comedy of how life really is instead of sugar coating it.
Rebecca Phillips

Kim Melbourne
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
absolutely loved this funny, easy to read, feel good book.
Hannah is wife to Nick, mother to 3 children and part time teacher. After a reshuffle at the school, biology teacher Hannah suddenly finds herself teaching English to unruly class
After reading a series of books leant to her from a friend, and in an attempt to bring in more money, Hannah decides to write a book...... in erotic humour.
This book made me laugh out loud as Hannah balances research for her new book alongside the trials of
Natalie Alice
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I recieved this copy through NetGallery for an honest review.

The cover of this book totally caught my eye. Its height which makes it stand out. The pink and white work well together.

The plot of this sounded funny and relatable.

I dont normally read comedy books but I'm glad I read this one. It's funny, relatable and fast-paced. It kept me gripped from beginning to end.

Kaluki
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it! I laughed from beginning to end. I loved the Thompson family and felt that they were extremely relatable and well developed. I would recommend for those looking for a fun and light read.

Thank you to NetGalley and HarperCollins – One More Chapter for providing me with a copy of the book.
Joanne Cartwright
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely light hearted read that will resonate with most mums in terms of regaining your own identity outside your mum role, the importance of good friends (and alcohol) and the realisation of your dreams.
very funny, very true to life (in parts at least!) and very easy to read. A great one for on the beach!
Cori
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#morethanjustmum #rebeccasmith #netgalleyreview #arc #bookstagram #books #booksofinstagram #Netgalley this book was definitely relatable for me. As a mom with children reaching the age of being ready to leave the nest, knowing all, and still having that "baby" in the family. When we turn forty, we as mums, tend to lose our sense of identity. Especially when our kids no longer "want/need" us. We all envision ourselves as who we thought we would be versus the reality of who we've become. This was ...more

• Four Christmases and a Secret
  • A Wedding in December: A Christmas Novel
  • The Christmas Party
  • The Other Wife
  • She
  • A Cosy Christmas in Cornwall
  • Seven Days
  • The Cornish Village School - Christmas Wishes (Cornish Village School series Book 4)
  • Unexpected Lessons in Love
  • Postscript (P.S. I Love You, #2)
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • The Secrets He Kept: A suspenseful, gripping psychological thriller with a nail-biting ending
  • The Rival
  • The Light in the Hallway
  • Snowflakes at the Little Christmas Tree Farm: A cosy and uplifting Christmas romance
  • The Lies We Hide