Start by marking “More Than Just Mum” as Want to Read:
More Than Just Mum

More Than Just Mum

Hannah Thompson loves her family beyond words… but sometimes, just sometimes, she wishes she could be recognised as more than just ‘mum’.

Eldest son Dylan is soon to be flying the nest, sixteen-year-old Scarlet keeps asking about penalties for worryingly specific crimes, they’ve forgotten world book day and Benji absolutely will not be Where’s Wally again, and it’s at least
Kindle Edition
Published December 7th 2019 by One More Chapter

To ask other readers questions about More Than Just Mum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Than Just Mum

Start your review of More Than Just Mum
Finitha Jose
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can't remember the last time I laughed so much reading a book. From the very first page to the last this novel was absolutely hilarious and so real. And what surprised me most that I was not able to guess where this story was heading at. The book features the day to day life of Hannah Thompson who is struggling with . . . well, practically everything.
Rebecca Smith for sure is a gifted writer finding humour even in tragic situations. If you are a mother, you are going to find yourself in here.
Nicola Clough
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book really took my fancy by the title and cover if the book and it didn't let me down at all and was so funny and such an easy quick read. Hannah was so relatable and you feel for her so much. So realistic and full of a mother who is a teacher but at a crossroads can she decide what to do next it's a brilliant read.

Hannah is a mother of three teaching English to a very difficult class and her children are growing up and giving her grief and she's come to a crossroads in life and really
Jessica | Booked J
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Review also found here at Booked J.

As always, a copy of this book was provided by the publisher or author in exchange for my honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way.

More Than Just Mum was such a pleasant surprise in terms of my end of the year reading. I've been having more misses than hits as I tackle my backlist, and I am so glad my luck has finally looked up. Due in part to its sheer hilarity (seriously, I was snorting in laughter at different
Donna Hines
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, arc
I always save the best for last and this was THE BEST!!
Kudos, to all those moms like self pulling double duty and YES - even those who are married with hard working husbands.
Look - Life is flawed with plenty of ups & downs but the ride- OH the SWEET Ride! IS WORTH EVERY PENNY!
Sure, I'm from the life of 'Hard Knocks' so relating to this was not hard for me and based on reviews we've all been there and done that with many of us getting the award (divorce, bankruptcy, homelessness, and zero
Agi
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-releases, 2019

Hannah Thompson is in her forties, married, has three children and is a biology teacher turned into an English teacher to a class nine students more interested in writing on each other's clothes with felt - tip markers than learning about George Orwell. At home, her eldest son Dylan is soon off to University, the middle one, Scarlet, not only bothers her parents about her name all the time (have you noticed the single "t"? Exactly!) but also asks rather suspicious questions about specific crimes
Alison
Hannah Thompson is a mother of three and a part-time English teacher, due to cuts in the science department budget which led to her job as a Biology teacher being redundant. Her eldest child Dylan is soon off to University, her middle child Scarlet (note the single 't') is asking rather suspicious about specific crimes and her youngest child Benji is the butt of all his older siblings' humour. When Hannah and her husband Nick work out how much money they will need to give Dylan for living ...more
Shalini
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lovely humorous take on the life of a mum of 3 kids with all its bells and whistles.

My first book by author Rebecca Smith, and I was smiling/laughing my way at the antics of this family. The main character mum Hannah was etched in a detailed manner. Losing her job, becoming a part time English teacher and looking after 3 kids and a husband, she had to find her humor, else go bonkers. Fast.

I loved the way the author wrote the incidents in Hannah's life. They were the perfect snapshots where I
booksofallkinds
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I voluntarily reviewed this book via Netgalley.

Hilarious at every turn and relatable in so many ways, MORE THAN JUST MUM by Rebecca Smith is the must-read book for every mother out there who just feels like they can never get it right.

Hannah Thompson is a wife, a mum, and a part-time teacher so life is pretty busy. Scrap that, life is crazy and Hannah is fed up with everyone dropping the ball and expecting her to have all the answers. With so many balls in the air, it is natural to drop one
Emmie Rose
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I saw this book and read the synopsis I knew that this was a book I wanted to read. I want to pat my past self on the back because this book was everything I didn’t realise I needed in my life.

I absolutely loved the Thompson family, especially Hannah who is doing her best juggling everything life throws at her, all the while being unsure about her career and how quickly her children are growing up. The characters were very well developed and honestly had me in hysterics! Their
Sally Tyrer
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The title of this book and the blurb really appealed to me, particularly being a mum of a certain age with older children so I couldn’t wait to start reading it!
Funny, realistic and totally relatable, I raced through this book as I couldn’t wait to see what would happen next!
Hannah a perimenopausal mother of three, wife of nick, walker of the dog and part time English teacher is at a crossroads in her life, teenage children giving her grief, her class of unruly children making teaching
Jocelyne
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This book was a funny read that was very entertaining!! I had a little trouble getting into it at first but at the 30% mark the story picked up and ended up enjoying it very much! By the 60% mark it had me laugh out loud and I was totally engrossed in the story!

It was relatable but with added unexpected bits. I loved the main characters and couldn’t wait to know what was going to happen next!

I would recommend checking this one out if you’re looking for a fun read!

Jena Henry
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How fun- someone wrote a book about me and my life! And even funnier, I noticed from other reviews about this book, that the reviewers all thought the book was about them, as well. What does this say about being a wife and mother, daughter, friend and teacher?!

Apparently as main character British Hannah Thomas moans, “We are not living our best lives.” Hannah decides that she wants to begin a new chapter in her life, a life where she is the star. But first, she has to make beans on toast for
Jeannie Zelos
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it
More Than Just Mum, Rebecca Smith

Review from Jeannie Zelos book reviews

Genre: General Fiction (Adult)

This is classic chic lit style, humour, pathos and a good dollop of real life. I so identified with Hannah at times. I too have been wife, mother, auntie, daughter and somewhere in the middle of that Jeannie, Me, was submerged. You have to fight to keep that, and Hannah's trying hard, but life has the habit of throwing spanners just when you think you're getting somewhere.

Having said that I
Ritu Bhathal
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What's not to like?

Hannah Thompson is a woman - so am I
She is a wife - yup, same here
A mother - *nods* I've got 2 kids, a fur baby and two feathered ones, she has 3 children and a dog
A teacher - yes, yet another similarity!
An aspiring author - yet another similarity
Has a hubby who is quietly supportive of her dreams but doesn't always get the support quite right - check!
Works part-time - no... alas I am a full-time teacher, wife, mother and wannabe writer!

Oh my God, if this woman had only 2
Noemi Proietti
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a fun and entertaining read that will make you laugh (even on a train full of people that then turn to look at you in a weird way, true story!) then you should pick up Not Just A Mum, the fantastic debut novel by Rebecca Smith.

The protagonist is Hannah Thompson, in her forties, married, three children (two teenagers and one adorable ten-year-old boy), a biology teacher turned into an English teacher to a class of students who are more interested in pulling each other’s
yorkshirebooknerd
Laugh out loud funny in parts this book was just what I needed. A warm, witty and disturbingly accurate depiction of what it’s like to be a mum of 3, with a great husband, a less than satisfying job and concerns over money.

Hannah is a part time English teacher, whose eldest son is about to go off to university. Amidst worrying about the additional financial costs, she has a 16 year old daughter asking increasingly more suspicious questions about very specific crimes, a 10 year old with a
Shannon
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I laughed out loud more times than I can count. While my kids are younger than Hannah’s, I do have three of them and felt so many connections to her as a wife and mother. Sometimes I, too, feel like that’s my only identity. This book was enjoyable to read and reminded me, again, what an honor it is to carry those titles. I loved Rebecca Smith’s writing, her storytelling style and her characters. I especially appreciate that Hannah’s husband, Nick, was portrayed as a true partner who was ...more
Heidi
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meet Hannah Thompson, 43-year-old mother and part-time English teacher. She wants to be more than just mum and she wants a job she actually likes. So she tries to write a realistic romance novel. She tries. And that's it. That's the book.

Weird pacing, forgettable characters and an utterly forgettable plot. Insofar as there is a plot, because nothing happens in this book. I think it's supposed to be funny, but the humour is so forced that it misses the mark completely. Maybe it's me. Maybe this
Heli
The pace of this book was honestly breath-taking. Hannah is a part-time English teacher, a mother of three and a wife of Nick. Her days are filled with children, work, friends and worries about her oldest son Dylan leaving home for university and how to make ends meet. The children are a handful. Especially Scarlet, who would like to add another t to her name.
So Hannah, who is only working three days a week, decides to write an erotic novel inspired by The Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James.
Angela  Mellor
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
More Than Just Mum is a hilarious read that honestly makes you laugh in every chapter. A welcome surprise as this is not my regular genre and I flew through it, enjoying it perhaps too much!
Hannah is married to Nick, she is in her forties and is juggling a part time job as an English teacher for year nines with running the house and looking after their three children. We follow her inner struggles of not enjoying her job as she is really a biology teacher and feels she is struggling teaching
Kate Page
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Hannah Thompson is a hard working Mum of three. She's found herself constantly putting her family first, sacrificing her own needs and identity and struggling to make ends meet. She wants to put herself first again and do something that is away from being a mum, a wife, a teacher. When inspiration strikes, she decides she is going to be a writer. And not just any writer, but take on the genre of erotic fiction. What ensues is a light-hearted story, that made me smile many times.

There are so
Mandy
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book really appealed to me as I love humour, rom-coms, chick-lit, etc. Being a mum myself, I can always relate to this type of book, nodding my head in recognition! My child is fully grown now, but it doesn’t take much to transport me back to his teens.

Hannah and her husband have three children and have reached the stage in their lives where the romance is almost non-existent, and they’re more concerned with whose turn it is to put the bins out.

All the characters are totally relatable and
Coriander
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this ebook from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.

I loved this book so much! I wish it had gone on for so much longer. It was hilarious and fun and a quick read. I flew through it and I enjoyed every second of it. I'm not a mother, but Hannah was so relatable anyway. As an aspiring writer myself, I really empathized with her as she was struggling to write her book.

Pretty much every aspect of this book was very appealing to me. The cover is cute, the story takes
Kathleen Gray
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Funny and totally relatable, this is the tale of Hannah (and her family) as she sets her life in a new direction. She's teaching a subject she doesn't like, her kids are teens, and she's not relating as well as she once did to her husband Nick. So what does she decide to do? Why write a book of course. Not just a book, but a book of sorta soft erotica. SO, of course she needs to work on this with her husband. Smith's a good storyteller- she highlights not only the fun parts of life but also the ...more
Annmarie Reddick
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
ARC: More Than Just Mum is about Hannah, a mom to three who also works part time as an English teacher. She begins to feel underappreciated and wants a change. In an attempt to find herself she writes a book and sets out to get it published.

I really enjoyed this book! It was very engaging and I couldn't stop reading. The characters were very developed and well written. It was very easy top picture exactly what was happening and what the characters were doing.

I highly recommend this book! It is
Rebecca
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. Hannah was one of the most relatable characters I have read in quite some time. Her quest to find herself while supporting her family financially and raising her children is hilarious, and her story is one I am sure many mothers can relate to on multiple levels. My only complaint is that the cover doesn't do this book justice. There is more incite and great writing in the pages of this book than the pink cover might lead you to believe.

I received this book free from NetGalley
LianaReads blog
Dec 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I can easily see myself in this story although I am younger and working but have two children.
I laugh out loud many times, I felt her struggle in so many moments and I love the kids, each one with their own personality and so reliable.
But for as great as the writing was, the great mixed of characters and the story overall, I just couldn't get to like Hannah. There's something I just can't put my finger on it but I cannot get her close to my heart.
I will recommend this book because
Henriette
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute chick lit and a quick read.

Hannah is 43, wife, mother of 3 and part time teacher and pretty fed up of her day to day life. She wants to be be ‘More than just mum’, but isn’t quite sure how to go about that.

Hannah is quite funny, but not hilarious in my eyes. Nevertheless, it was a fun read and I rushed through it and enjoyed also seeing how she and her husband Nick interacted with their kids.
Rebecca Phillips
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
More Than Just Mum follows 43 year old part-time English teacher and mother of three, Hannah Thompson. She is fed up with teaching a subject that wasn't her specialty and parenting teenagers so she tries to reinvent herself. Channelling her inner E.L. James, she attempts to write a Fifty Shades-esque book.

Although the book is funny in parts, I felt like it just trundled along and there was no real chase or climax.
Kim Melbourne
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
absolutely loved this funny, easy to read, feel good book.
Hannah is wife to Nick, mother to 3 children and part time teacher. After a reshuffle at the school, biology teacher Hannah suddenly finds herself teaching English to unruly class
After reading a series of books leant to her from a friend, and in an attempt to bring in more money, Hannah decides to write a book...... in erotic humour.
This book made me laugh out loud as Hannah balances research for her new book alongside the trials of

• All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • Four Christmases and a Secret
  • Hold Your Tongue (DI Eve Hunter, #1)
  • The Christmas Party
  • She
  • Love Lettering
  • A Wedding in December
  • Come a Little Closer
  • The Cornish Village School - Christmas Wishes (Cornish Village School series Book 4)