Start by marking “Under Pressure (Love and Football, #1)” as Want to Read:
Under Pressure (Love and Football, #1)

Under Pressure

(Love and Football #1)

Rookie quarterback, Drew Carmichael, is under pressure like never before.

When Drew abruptly and unexpectedly comes out of the closet, his life is upended. The media is hounding him. Fans and haters are scrutinizing him nonstop. Worst of all, team management is wary of him, unsure if he’s worth all the hassle.

He’ll do anything to stay on his home state's NFL team, inc
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 129 pages
Published October 8th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Under Pressure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under Pressure

Start your review of Under Pressure (Love and Football, #1)
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
I wish I could give this book a higher rating, since I'm one of the first people reviewing an advanced reading copy, but I have to be honest, peeps: this book isn't great.

I haven't read anything by Lauren Ashley before, and I'm not too eager to read anything else, truth be told.

One of the biggest issues I had was the writing style. The best way to describe it is SIMPLE. It's alternating, present-tense, first-person POV, which isn't my favorite narrative style anyway, but couple that with mostly tell
Cadiva
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
NOTE: 8/10/19 - I've just received an updated ARC with an edited ending, so I shall see what has changed and report back accordingly.

Okay, I've read the edited version and my original review and rating still stands.

Both things I was WTFing about still come out of nowhere and, while there's a bit more follow up for both, it still feels like a heavy handed way of setting up book two and wrapping up the issue with Scott's parents and niece.

***

Original Review This was okay and I was liking the sw/>Original
BWT (Belen)
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015, 2019, mm-fiction
Under Pressure has good bones, but felt rushed to me, as though several scenes had been cut out, especially the ending, and ultimately left me wanting more and frustrated at not getting it.

I would've liked more scenes with Drew and Scott together, publicly and privately, and with the family, and more scenes with just Scott (like, does he have friends?). I'd like to know if Drew ever came clean with the family, and I really hoped for a better lead up to the epilogue. I wish the characters had bee
Erika
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, ebook
Thanks to the author and publisher via A Novel Take for a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review.

Even though this story dealt with some difficult issues, the actual love story between Drew and Scott was very sweet. Both characters were so pure and honest, I never once doubted that their PR relationship would turn into something real. Drew's siblings and family were great and I could clearly picture them welcoming Scott into the fold and making up for his lack of family s
Quirks
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019-reads, m-m
Update: I was sent a newer copy of the book which had a chapter and a couple of scenes added toward the end. And I'll admit, they did make the end better. But not enough to make up for the rest of the book. The best I could have done I think, had I read that version of the book, would have been giving the book 2.5 Stars.

*************************

I don't know what I expected from this book, but it was more than what I got. The plot of the book is pretty simple. A football pl
Michaelene
Under Pressure is a debut coming out m/m romance from Lauren Ashley. While the abrupt ending left me a little disappointed, this debut delivers a quick insta-love plot with low-angst, gobs of humor, and plenty of romance.

Drew accidentally comes out, and to make the transition easier in his upcoming pro-football career, he agrees to a fake relationship. It turns out that the man chosen is none other than his childhood crush and singer, Scott.

I loved how this one began. Drew is such a genuine
Tiffaney
~ ARC WAS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR FOR AN HONEST REVIEW ~

Debut author.
#1 Drafted NFL Quarterback
County Music Star
Both publicly coming out
Fake relationship.
Insta Love

Sigh. I really wanted to like this story. The premise was intriguing and I'm always on the lookout for new authors. But this story did not work.

Drew and Scott never once felt like seperate people. Their personalities weren't distinct at all despite having dual POV. Besi
Athira
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt
Throughout the whole book I was waiting for the other shoe to drop but I got nothing. Nada. This is a no angst, pretty straightforward and short read.

Drew and Scott have a very sweet love story. But there's no character development. I just couldn't feel it. This book had a lot of potential, especially with fake relationship, football and country singer? It should've been perfect. But I was just left wanting more. There's basically no conflict. Also there's a lot of telling but no showing.
Marina
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Drew is a football player and until now, he was in the closet. At the public event full of fans and reporters he accidentally comes out. To calm things and rumors for a while, he finds himself in a fake relationship with a popular singer who he's a fan of.

Scott waited for years for the right time to announce that he's gay. Faking a relationship with a popular football player is just the right opportunity to do that.

They don't fake it for too long. First they fall into bed together,
iam
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: unlimited
This was... weird.
Everything in this book happened way too fast. Usually when that's the case, the writing is also not good - but with Under Pressure I mostly enjoyed the writing. It didn't feel hurried at all, even though it totally was. Like, I was enjoying myself reading this and getting into the characters, just to then stumble over the incredibly fast love declarations and realizing I was almost done already even though I felt like I only just started reading.

So many s
Qhuay
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it
This book has all the possibilities to be great. A good bone to start with, fake boyfriends, drama, a bit forced coming out and a bunch of siblings.

The characters were lovable and kind and they were so sweet together but nothing happens on this book. They met, they were supposed to be fake boyfriends but they had a crush and never discussed shifting from a fake relationship into an actual one.

I feel a bit frustrated because I was expecting so much more, especially because I lo
Mica
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this sweet little romance.
Due to limited page count the development between Drew and Scott from strangers to lovers was rather quick and without many obstacles. Both characters are really interesting and likeable, but I would have loved for them to get a bit more depths and to have more couply time after starting their real relationship :)
However, I have to say the relationship never felt fake, even in the beginning the two men have an instant connection. ...more
Beverly Southern Babes Book Blog
So this is a new author to me, and I definitely will be reading more. I like the way the story was told and the characters.

Drew and Scott are both hiding in the closet. Drew is a NFL quarterback and Scott is a country/ pop singer, they decide its time to be true to who they are. Both are tired of hiding. So a PR scam to be fake boyfriends is the only way to go. They never expected to fall for each other. Through all the media, twists, turns and family, they have a whirlwind romance.
Sebastian
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Rating 2,5

An NFL player and a country star? Fake dating? So much potential, and it was so disappointing.
The main issue I had is that is was boring. There was no conflict, no plot. Like literally nothing happened for 90% of the book and then the ending was all sorts of WTF.
I saw no chemistry between the MCs and the 'fake boyfriend' trope was no fun as there wasn't any back and forth, no banter. The romance was really bland.

Sadly I won't be checking out the next books in t
Jess Gabriel
DNF
This one isn't for me, I'm afraid. I can't seem to connect.
Stephanie
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is sweet fake relationship turn real. I like that Drew and Scott's story is angst free and a sweet romantic story. I like how this story progressed. Now the ending did feel a little rush but overall I love this story and can't wait to read the next one.
Emmi
3 sweet stars

„Under Pressure“ is a sweet, and fast paced m/m fake relationship story with some sports and music elements and I really enjoyed this mix.

It is a bit insta lust/love, which I totally don‘t mind because sometimes two people just „click“ and Dew and Scott are so adorable together.

"It could just be beginner‘s luck,“ I tease. „You never know.“ „Could be,“ he says with an amused lilt in his voice, playing along with me. „Mind helping me figure it out?“

I/>"It
Angelique
Oct 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
Under Pressure,

Its not for me,okay I am not good with first books in a series.
But this one,wow there is little story,both mc`s are the same.
There is no conflict,angst or emotion except boring sex scene(s).
some making out with no heat what so ever.
And first the fake relationship has a end-date,
and with no conflict everyone is ok with the "real deal"
there is no relationship building,and suddenly getting custody,
that does not happen.
I have read a lot of fake-real love books.and this
one comes not even close to them.
in the read again or nice reading before bed.
pity.

Is Lauren Ashely a new author ? ,I should
Philip Cowsill
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Rookie footballer Drew accidentally outs himself at a fundraiser when he was unaware of a nearby microphone. His team management set up a fake relationship with Scott, a singer who wants to come out after securing his music career.

To me, the relationship seemed to escalate to quickly from fake to real.

While there is coverage of Drew’s family, Scott’s is barely mentioned other than the religious parents do not accept Scott’s homosexuality. It came as a surprise then that S
Lisa
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was a first time read with this author for me and this book was just an okay read for me. Drew and Scott's story was a super quick story that where it started out as a fake relationship never really felt like the pair had a fake relationship. The entire story felt rushed as it felt like the book no more than started and then it was finished. There was no real build up to this sweet story.
Overall this was a well written book and both characters had chemistry together. There was a set up tha
Elle
Oct 11, 2019 rated it liked it
A football romance that had a decent premise. I felt that the book had potential, (fake boyfriends is one of my favourite tropes), but the follow through fell apart. I also found a lot of typos and grammatical errors here and there throughout.

Despite this, I did like the characters and the plot, it should have been a nice, light read. The story was just tootling along, everything was going to plan, fairly predictable, then wham! Out of nowhere came a couple of sideblinders, that totally took m
Lillian Francis
The blurb sounded great but unfortunately the book didn't live up to expectations. Two individuals in high profile and historically homophobic industries come out. This should have been full of conflict and resolution. It wasn't. And even plain sailing coming out stories, which are sweet and angst free, still need character and relationship development to give the story depth. This didn't.

And what the hell was with that ending? A massive plot development that is obviously the lead in for book t
Joscelyn Smith
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable fake relationship romance. I liked Drew and Scott, they were engaging characters and perfect for each other. All in all an enjoyable read.

*I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book provided by A Novel Take PR*
Roberta Blablanski
Another bust for me. There was a lack of chemistry between the MCs. And they came off as younger (immature) than they were. Fake relationships is my favorite trope, but this one fell flat.

***ARC provided by A Novel Take PR in exchange for an honest review.***
Simone
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Kristina
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was different than I thought it was gonna be, but not in a bad way. The characters were funny and had great chemistry together. The book was shorter than I wanted it to be, and I thought there would be more conflict (though, it wasn't a bad thing that there wasn’t).

Drew was actually beyond what I thought he was gonna be, which I liked. He was sweet and funny and I liked how supportive his family was. His brothers and sisters were definitely my favorite. They were really protective of
Paul
Rosanny
Oct 25, 2019
Samantha Ortega
Oct 09, 2019
Lauren Ashley discovered her love for books at an early age. She is a hopeless romantic at heart and believes that everyone deserves their happily ever after. An East Coast native hailing from the Tri-State area, Lauren hates the cold weather, but loves her chunky sweaters and cups of coffee. When she’s not writing, she can be found traveling, binge-watching TV, spending time with loved ones, and ...more