Start by marking “The Mothers: Five women. Five secrets. One missing husband.” as Want to Read:
The Mothers: Five women. Five secrets. One missing husband.

The Mothers: Five women. Five secrets. One missing husband.

'Original and stylish... will keep you guessing to the last page' - SHARON BOLTON

'A meticulously plotted exploration of friendship, foe-ship and the lies that bind, which builds to a gripping and powerful conclusion' - CARA HUNTER

Five Women.

They meet at their NCT Group. The only thing they have in common is they're all pregnant.

Five Secrets.

Three years later, they

Published January 9th 2020 by Trapeze

To ask other readers questions about The Mothers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mothers

Start your review of The Mothers: Five women. Five secrets. One missing husband.
Liz Barnsley
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I devoured The Mothers in one sitting it is excessively addictive with a terrific cast of characters and an involving, emotionally resonant, twisty mystery.

Sarah J Naughton is a masterful plotter with a keen eye for divisive, entertaining and authentic characters. Any parent will relate to the sometimes funny, sometimes sad vagaries of parenting and the mystery element is steeped in atmosphere as we watch this group of Mum’s come together and fall apart in equal measure.

Then of course there’s
Kelly Van Damme
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
The Mothers alternates between present events and the history of the five mothers, starting three years earlier after they’d met at prenatal classes. Bella, Electra, Chrissy, Jen and Skye couldn’t be more different if they tried, but somehow they work. Or do they? When Bella’s husband vanishes it’s clear that this is just the tip of the iceberg, that there’s more to the mothers than you see at first glance. A police investigation ensues, but this is in no way a police procedural. While there are ...more
Dawn
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Five women from different walks of life meet at an NCT group and become firm friends. Through a the ups and downs of domestic life, love, pain and children they are there for each other. Bella’s husband disappears and the police are investigating his disappearance and suspect the ladies have some involvement.
What a bloody good read this was. The characters are built up well and you can sympathise with them all. Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for this arc in exchange for my honest
Janice
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Every one of us should have someone we can call to help bury a body (figuratively, you understand). Bella, Chrissy, Sky, Electra and Jen are a rather unlikely group of friends, but they have each other. They’ve stayed together despite not having very much in common: entirely different personalities, living and financial conditions and parenting styles.

After meeting up at an ante-natal group, they formed a close bond that three years on, is stronger than ever, and when Bella’s husband Ewan goes
Lavender
„Five Women. Five Secrets. One Missing Husband.”

Five women met when they were pregnant and stayed in touch. They became close friends despite the fact that they have totally different personalities. The story is told in two timelines. In the present there is Iona, a police detective, who soon gets a feeling that something is not right with the story the wife and her friends tell about the missing husband. The past timeline is told from all of the women’s POV. We learn how they met, became
Karen
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Five women, Chrissy, Electra, Skye, Jen, and Bella – all very diverse personalities and who, on the face of it, only have one thing in common. Children. They wouldn’t normally be friends if they hadn’t met at an ante natal group. For some reason their friendship has endured and they continue to meet for drinks at each other’s houses, even though it sometimes seems that they actually don’t really like each other very much.

The main focus of the story is Bella and her husband Ewan. Bella reports
Emma Shaw
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! What an exhilarating read this turned out to be! Sizzling with tension, this had me on the edge of my seat and up until the wee hours as I couldn’t put it down. The author threw some clever curveballs to throw us off track and I found myself unable to guess where it was going or who I should suspect. A heady mix that made this a delight to read.

When banker Ewan Upton is reported missing Iona and her partner are called in to investigate. His wife Bella is a mess. She has no idea where he
Margot
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was my first time reading this author and I well enjoyed it.
A very interesting story about five women who are very different and yet, somehow they are good friends. Or are they?
It was a great read, with interesting plot twists and a very good ending.
There was only one, silly thing, really!, that was bugging me.
There is one character who is Polish and his name is Atanis. I am Polish myself, living in Scotland, and I have never heard about name like this. I even Googled it. Nothing. Yes, some
No Books
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved The Mothers!
Naughton has written such an enchanting tale, wrought with tension and suspense and she really had me believing that the mothers club didn’t like each other!
The Mothers is the story of 5 new mothers who met at their antenatal classes and although they’re vastly different people, they vowed to stick together forever, whatever. When tragedy strikes one of the mothers, will they band together to save her or throw her under the bus?
Naughton’s characters are vibrant and clever
Katey Lovell
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A twisty-turny novel about a group of mismatched NCT mothers after one of their husbands goes missing.

I couldn't put this one down and although I've not read anything else by this author I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for her other books. The only thing I didn't like were how some aspects of the denouement felt almost too convenient.

A gripping psychological thriller.
Angie F
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five star suspense from beginning to end. This is a fantastic read with such spellbinding moments of tension I had to remind myself to breathe. All leading to a momentous conclusion. I loved every minute.
Morag Murray
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When it comes to a good gripping thriller of a read, Sarah Naughton consistently delivers, and I’m delighted that ‘The Mothers’ continues this trend. The story is told in both past and present from the perspectives of a group of NCT/parent craft mums and the police detective investigating the simultaneous suspicious disappearances of one of the friends and the husband of another.

I applaud Sarah Naughton for the unpredictability of this story, I loved that I had no idea where it was going and
Marnie | Once Upon a Time Book Blog
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
The seven lines used for the blurb of this story instantly had me intrigued and I couldn’t wait to get stuck into reading this. In this case, less is more in describing what The Mothers is all about. Right from the get go I was completely immersed in this story and I was so invested into each of these women’s lives, that it had me racing through the pages to see how it was all going to unfold. Chock full of mystery and suspense with twists and turns aplenty, The Mothers is a great read to lose ...more
The Glass House Online Magazine
Who Would You Call To Help Hide a Body?

If you killed someone - who would you call to help you hide the body? Let's face it, we all have that one person we would turn to if all hell broke loose. What if your husband went missing? Who would you turn to?

Firstly - a quick apology. This review for the blog tour a *little* late - due to unforeseen circumstances (mainly getting stuck in China on the way home for a Christmas holiday - where I promptly forgot you are blocked from all social media..) but
Jacqueline  sharp
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a book I finished in one sitting, well written, good pace, the story gradually unfolds as you read each chapter, keeping you guessing, until about half way through, then I guessed what had happened, some of the suspense left for me then, along with the believability of parts of the story. Mainly the police side of it.

Five women all totally different, they shouldn’t really get on as they only have one thing in common, they all attended ante natal classes together, and had children.
Mary Picken
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
The bond between mothers and their children is strong, but there is also a strong bond between these 5 mothers who met at their NCT class and stayed with each other throughout their pregnancies. A chav; a media-twat; a hippy; a Sloane and a frump. They should have nothing in common, but their shared experience has brought them together and after their various births, they stay in contact.

Sarah Naughton’s book moves effortlessly between past and present; painting a picture of these womens’ lives
Meggy
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it

More than just mothers, the main characters in this book are wives, women, and friends. Different but standing close, like the colours on a painter’s palette. They don’t mix, but they have the possibility to create worlds. Or destroy them. Sarah J. Naughton plays with tones and paints a disturbing canvas of friendships and secrets.

Addictive and highly toxic, this novel seized my attention with a prologue that left me speechless. Claustrophobic and anxiety-inducing, it played its role
Jacqueline  sharp
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it

Maria
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
You know that you’ll love a book when you can’t stop reading!
The Mothers is a psychological thriller with real characters and a twisted plot, perfect for any mystery lover.
This is the story of 5 women, they meet on their antenatal classes and decide to keep meeting every week, sharing problems and secrets until the fatidic night… Now there’s one husband missing and none of the mothers is eager to help the police to discover what really happened. Is it true that what is said at the Mothers
loopyloulaura
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Blimey, what a book! The Mothers front cover gives little away about the extraordinary journey readers are taken on over the course of this book. Part police investigation, part psychological mystery, part woman-affirming literature.
Five women united by their antenatal classes continue their unlikely friendship with regular meet ups to discuss the highs and lows of motherhood and marriage whilst also letting their hair down and relaxing. The morning after one such ‘Mother’s Club’ night out,
Joanne Robertson
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh I did love this one! It's a gripping, twisty female dominated drama that based itself around the relationships that women make when they become mothers. Any woman who's been pregnant knows how isolating it can be but friendships made at NCT classes or similar can be a godsend and last for many years to come. But here we have a group of 5 women who have come together with seemingly very little in common apart from that initial pregnancy. But they are still in contact regularly and as we look ...more
Kay M
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was really looking forward to reading this book and I was not disappointed. This had me gripped from the first page to the last and I did not want to put it down.
'The Mothers Club' is a group of of five mums who all met through an antenatal class. They all come from different back grounds and different walks of life and the only thing they all have in common is the class they all attended, but they all have become firm friends and have built an amazing bond together.
Bella's husband Ewan has
Grace J Reviewerlady
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm not entirely sure what exactly I expected from this book - but, boy, did it take me by surprise!

Five women who met when they were all pregnant and have kept in regular touch. All from very different walks of life, these women - on the surface - have very little in common but they have all pledged to be there for each other, come what may. When one husband goes missing and the police become involved we begin to find out about each and every one of their lives . . .

This is a slow starter but,
Melanie’s reads
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was such an easy enjoyable read with a great cast of characters or should we say suspects? I loved how about a third of the way through, the group of five get given cocktails based on their personalities. I would be a hanky panky (make of that what you will).These five would never have been friends had it not been for meeting at NCT, they are exceedingly different but it works. Bella, Chrissy, Sky, Electra and Jen each with their own problems whether that is personal, financial , work or ...more
Annette Jordan
A gripping thriller with enough twists and turns to keep the most jaded of readers engaged, The Mothers by Sarah J Naughton is the story of five very different women who meet and bond in a pregnancy group , and continue the friendship over the years. When the husband of Bella, one of the women disappears, it soon becomes apparent that most of the mothers have something to hide, and several of them may not be as friendly as they would have you believe. As the police investigate the disappearance ...more
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Starting with one missing husband and possibly a murdered friend, Iona is the detective trying to get to the bottom of what has happened. More murky secrets come to light, but before any questions can be answered, the book tracks back in time to give the background on the current situation. This is more than a thriller though; this is a book about loyalty, friendships, good and bad marriages and the impact that having children can have on a relationship. The five friends are the type of women I ...more
Debra
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fast moving, addictive thriller which I enjoyed very much.

Many women keep in touch with their NCT group for years after the birth of their children. Some make lifelong friends from the close knit group. This group of mothers couldn’t be more diverse but something holds them together. It is a friendship that becomes essential to help out with life’s traumas. Until Bella’s husband goes missing and the friendship is tested to the limits.

This was a thoroughly captivating book. It is told
Kerry-louise Jones
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Five mothers, one secret that the police would not imagine in their wildest dreams”.

Being a new mother myself and having established a tight knit group of 'mum' friends solely based on having children at the same time I was very eager to read this and it didn’t disappoint.

It was a fast paced read that I devoured in one sitting. I loved all the twists and turns and the revealing of the characters more sinister sides. I found that although this was a relatively short book the characters were
Susana Rio
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The mothers

Publish date: 30.04.2020
This is a really good book by #sarajnaughton!
The plot evolves around five friends and the investigation of a missing husband. The plot was quite interesting and although I thought it would be quite predictable there were some really unexpected plot twists!
This book has it all! Mystery, crime, unexpected friendships but what I really enjoyed is how the characters, albeit so different, held on to what they had in common and built their relationship! I also
Angela  Mellor
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Mothers was a fast read for me as I devoured this book in a day due to it being a well written plot with well developed characters.
Th mothers are five women who met at anti natal classes, all completely different women from totally different kinds of lives but due to them all having children born at the same time they share a bond that in the end is deeper than most friendships.
Bella and Ewan are the main couple in this fab novel. Bella has suffered from depression before just after her baby

• Three Hours
  • The Dilemma
  • A Window Breaks
  • The Lies We Hide
  • She
  • Woman in the Water (DS Imogen Grey, #6)
  • I Dare You
  • The Liar’s Daughter
  • The Perfect Couple
  • My Dark Vanessa
  • The Perfect Mother
  • Gone
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • Hold Your Tongue (DI Eve Hunter, #1)