Start by marking “Candy Canes and Buckets of Blood (Sprite Brigade Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Candy Canes and Buckets of Blood (Sprite Brigade Book 1)

Candy Canes and Buckets of Blood (Sprite Brigade Book 1)

Christmas is a time for families to come together.

Guin Roberts can’t think of anything worse than visiting a Christmas market with her new family. Guin is perfectly happy with her own company and doesn’t want that disrupted by her wisecracking stepbrother and his earnest mum.

Their Christmas celebrations are invaded by a sleigh full of murderous elves. And it doesn’t

Published September 21st 2019 by Pigeon Park Press

To ask other readers questions about Candy Canes and Buckets of Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Candy Canes and Buckets of Blood

Start your review of Candy Canes and Buckets of Blood (Sprite Brigade Book 1)
Ross Greenwood
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable festive murderous elf romp. It's not every day you get to say that.

This was quick to get into and the authors did a great job of layering the characters with a short time frame to operate in.

I found this more amusing and didn't quite have the amount of belly laughs of some of their previous books, but it was still a crackling read!

Well worth a Sunday afternoon
Cat Manning
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great laughable one liners and plenty to keep the pages turning. Thoroughly enjoyed this dark comedy. I gave the book 5 stars because it is a good read but the editing had quite a few continuity issues and some places I had to reread several times to make sure I got what was going on.
Suze Bickerton
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love Christmas, but I'm not one for schmaltzy seasonal books and films - Die Hard is my Christmas movie! But give me murderous Christmas elves and I'm right there!

Lovers Esther and Dave are hoping to marry soon, but their kids haven't met yet. So Esther and her 16 year old son Newton are going to spend Christmas with Dave and his daughter Guin, who is 10, to see how they all get along. After picking up Esther and Newton from the station, the soon-to-be family head off to spend the afternoon at
Pam Fox
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Having just finished a few deeply serious and dark books I turned to Heide and Ian for some lighter reading. Having read a few of their books before, I knew it would be gory with a good splash of fun, and they didn't let me down
Dave and Esther are single parents just getting to know each other and have arranged to spend Christmas together with their respective kids, the first time the kids will meet. Esther and son Newton travel by train and Dave and daughter Guin drive to meet them. On the way
Claire Longley
Oct 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I needed a change and that's what I got!

It turned out to be a nice and easy read that also perfectly fit in with my strange sense of humour. The title was the first thing that drew me to this book, it wasn't to be your typical happy holiday novel at all. But I also loved the fact that it also wasn't a normal horror book either, it was different and I found it was really an enjoyable read.

I did feel that it dragged a bit at the beginning. I was waiting on the buckets of blood which took a few
Leslie
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fun, horror, humor, xmas, ku
This is a dark little Christmas horror story that is balanced by tongue in cheek humor and sarcasm.

On the surface it is the story of two single parents introducing their children to one another at Christmas in the hope of becoming a 21st century Brady Bunch. Guin and her father and picking up Newton and his mother at the train station and planning a visit to the Christmas Market. Guin's father is a widower and a paramedic. Newton's mother helps displaced and abused women, likes to craft and
Hilary Mortz
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Carrying on in the classic tradition of festive favourites like Die Hard, Gremlins and Home Alone, Candy Canes and Buckets of Blood is a brilliant and hilarious Christmas action movie in book form. Chock full of gratuitous slapstick ultra-violence with a generous helping of extreme festive family jeopardy on the side, it is the perfect comedy antidote to any cosy seasonal fiction you might be tempted to read at this special time of year.

The story stars a tribe of elves, but they are nothing like
Anne
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
What starts as a lovely story about families and the magic of Christmas soon turns into something a bit odd, and then into something rather more sinister. But this is a story written by Heide Goody and Iain Grant, so I wouldn’t expect anything less than a different take on what starts as a heart-warming story. There is a lot of humour in the writing, but a somewhat darker humour in this book as it turns into more of a horror story. Utterly bonkers in places, which is exactly what I love about ...more
Lindsay
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Elves have never been so scary

Esther and David are a couple who are using Christmas to introduce their kids to each other.
They attend a Christmas market together in a small village but things don’t match up there and they see things that make them question things.
Guin is a prickly child with ways to deal with things by creating her own dolls and uses them, Newton is a shy teenager with a love of animals.
This book has a great premise and a typical great story from Iain and Heide love everything
Samantha Smith
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! We have all had a Christmas from Hell but the premise of a sleigh of murderous Elves descending on a family is fortunately something that we (hopefully) haven't had to deal with yet!

This isn't your normal horror book and is splattered with lots of humour which had me laughing throughout. This is an entirely unique book and if you fancy something different to the normal Christmas stories than this is the book for you!!
Jodi
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was not my usual reading genre but I thought it sounded interesting and it was fab, fab, fab. I loved it.

Two families come together for what they think will be a lovely festive period and end up fighting murderous Christmas elves! I wouldn't know whether to list it as dark comedy, horror or humour as it has it all. Blood, gore and laugh out loud one liners. I really don't want to give any spoilers out for this little gem but I highly recommended you read it.

A massive 5 stars.
Bethany Gordon
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A mad-cap world of murderous elves, makes this a book full or twists and turns and adventures. With a bit of gore thrown in and some odd characters this made a different read from your normal Christmas book. The action never stops, drawing you into the book. Its and easy, quick read with some amusing episodes and if you want something different to read then this is it.
Beccy Thompson
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from the book club reviewers thank you
I love a dark read and this one really ticked the boxes, a twisted festive read perfect!
This is not my first book from Heide but it’s equally as good as her others.
An engaging short read that perfectly suited my mood, thank you
Arkgirl
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another new series from these prolific writers with their characteristic weird with a heavy dose of sarcasm and wit. A fun, easy read with a Christmas theme about families coming together set alongside some murderous elves and a soupcon [or bucketful!!] of gore. It might be a little manic for some but for me it is another great 'laugh out loud' tale that I thoroughly enjoyed.
Pamela
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this book a bit slow at first, and I wasnt sure what to think of the story at first, but was an interesting read.not what I was expecting. many thanks to TBC group for allowing me to review the book
Lee Willie
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant

Loved it, a totally original story with laugh out loud moments and plenty of action . Don't want to write to much and give away the story but needless to say it's funny, elements of horror and action you are looking for then buy this book.
Fiona Webb
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this book, a nice palate cleanser from my usual book choices. It was like reading the equivalent of a Christmas film with the family.
Roy Hawksley
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My new favorite Christmas story

Unique, unusual story of family bonding by sharing a good old life and death Christmas.
Beware the Elves, RIP Dando/Santa
Penny-sue Wolfe
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Christmas from hello? We've all been there! This book is absolutely hilarious! Hard to put down as you want the sharp humour to continue! Fabulous
Amanda Williams
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a very peculiar read but I really enjoyed it. Very out of the ordinary and it won't appeal to everyone but worth a read.
Susan Angela Wallace
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Candy Cane and Buckets of Blood by Heidi Goody and Iain Grant.
A fantastic read. Loved the story. Good humour and gory too. I would highly recommend this book. Brilliant. Very enjoyable. 5*.
paul gregg
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not going to Christmas fair now!!

As ever a cracking good read from this pair. Worrying thing is that my wife has pointed eartops and speaks a weird Nordic language!!!

Mark Smith
Timothy Stouff
Nov 01, 2019
graham woods
Oct 24, 2019

• Saint Peter Takes a Holiday, or It’s About Time (Circles in Hell, #7)
  • In the Absence of Miracles
  • Violet
  • Relatively Strange
  • A Shaper's Promise (Aura Shaper #1)
  • Savage Children (John Savage Action Thriller Book 3)
  • Gate Quest (Star Kingdom #5)
  • Nothing Important Happened Today
  • Killer Motive
  • Dead in Venice
  • Monkspike: You Are Not Forgiven
  • The Silent Dead
  • Demonic Indemnity
  • The Status Debt: A suspense thriller packed with romance and crime (Hunted Book 1)
  • Portal Thief Charlie (The Dragon Mage #6)
  • Creative Writing Skills: Over 70 fun activities for children
  • Fat Chance
  • The First Spell (The Weight of Magic episode 3)
“If Mad Max was a Christmas movie.” 0 likes