Start by marking “Der Untergang der Könige (Drachengesänge #1)” as Want to Read:
Der Untergang der Könige (Drachengesänge #1)

Der Untergang der Könige

(A Chorus of Dragons #1)

Jenn Lyons eröffnet mit »Der Untergang der Könige« ein großes Epos um einen Jungen, der mitten hinein gerät in die Konflikte zwischen Adelshäusern, Zauberern und Dämonen. Hängt von ihm das Schicksal des ganzen Reiches ab? »Erzähl mir eine Geschichte.« Das Ungeheuer machte es sich vor den eisernen Gitterstäben von Kihrins Kerkerzelle bequem.

Und der Junge aus den
Published September 21st 2019 by Klett-Cotta (first published February 5th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Der Untergang der Könige, please sign up.
Megan There's a lot of talk about rape, naughty bits, sex, violence, etc. Personally I would class it as adult fantasy. That wouldn't have stopped me from…moreThere's a lot of talk about rape, naughty bits, sex, violence, etc. Personally I would class it as adult fantasy. That wouldn't have stopped me from reading it as a teenager, though. It's just not really what you'd expect from YA.(less)
Jersebas It seems there will be five books.
From https://jennlyons.com/2019/03/20/the-...
"The series is on a nine month release schedule. That means that, should everything go to plan, Tor/>
…more
It seems there will be five books.
From https://jennlyons.com/2019/03/20/the-...
"The series is on a nine month release schedule. That means that, should everything go to plan, Tor will be releasing a book in the series every nine months or so. Two this year, one next year, two the year after that (again, if all goes to plan.)"
(less)

Start your review of Der Untergang der Könige (Drachengesänge #1)
Petrik
ARC provided by the publisher—Tor Books—in exchange for an honest review.

Convoluted and complex are probably understatements, but I don’t have any other words to describe the main attributes of this debut.

For those of you who don’t know, The Ruin of Kings have been the fantasy debut that Tor has been promoting heavily for several months now. This novel has been advertised as the debut of the year that’s targeted “For fans of George R. R. Martin, Robin Hobb, Joe Abercrombie, Brent Weeks, Brandon Sanderson, and Pa/>Convoluted
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: $2.99 Kindle US 6/2/19

I don’t like the sprayed edges on this one. It looks like they might have been trying to do a grey color from the grey book (which I like better and am going to get) or maybe a light blue.

Holy shit balls! This book was so confusing and so good, I don’t even know what all I just read!! My mind!!!

*photo: David Ho & George Redhawk

Im looking forward to the next book and a reread of this crazy book!

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
James Tivendale
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
We did this (myself and Emma) as a combined review for Fantasy Book Review which can be seen here. http://www.fantasybookreview.co.uk/Je...

These were my thoughts following on from what Emma had already written.

I received a limited edition proof copy of The Ruin of Kings in exchange for an honest review

Additional notes by James Tivendale - I think Emma summed up most of the points perfectly.

I agree with what Emma said about the point of views switching between 1st and 3rd person sometimes be
Emma
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kihrin is many things: orphan, thief, long lost son of a prince... destroyer of the world? Whatever else he is, he’s also having a really bad time of it. Everything he’s ever believed is lies, truths only discovered though violence and death. But since his new life involves evil magicians, a death cult, a war between gods and demons, the kind of family that epitomises the whole keep-your-enemies-closer philosophy, and dragons…. well, his chances don’t seem like they’ll be looking up any time soo ...more
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
Have you ever been to denial town? Currently visiting and it sucks....

The Ruin of Kings has been on my radar ever since it was announced in 2018 being compared to Joe Abercrombie (one of my favorite authors), Patrick Rothfuss, and Brandon Sanderson. It sounded so good - a heavy dose of epic fantasy with all the usual nastiness and morally-grey characters. But I could not connect with a single character or event in this book no matter what I did. The convoluted storytelling DID NOT HELP. In Fact
Amy Imogene Reads

UPDATE: I am still chewing on this story, 7 months later. I had to bump it up to 4 stars for the sheer lasting effect alone. Maybe I love this?

There is such a thing as too much, too fast, too deep, and too convoluted in high fantasy. This is it.

Writing: ★★★★★
World Building: ★★★★★
Pacing: ★★
Timeline:
Overall Reader Enjoyment: ★ for the act of sorting out the plot, and ★★★★ for the actual world and events once deciphered

I’ve never had to make a literal flow chart for a book before this one, but I would not have b/>I’ve/>Overall/>/>/>World/>/>UPDATE:
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
3.5 stars, maybe 4 - may change as I review the full book upon publication.

Who are you again??

So sweet of you to ask. I’m Talon. I’ll be your murderer tonight.

I recently finished reading this preview available on Netgalley of The Ruin of Kings by Jenn Lyons and enjoyed it very much. I did have some problems with the chosen narrative style which did not help the story, but the book was fascinating enough to keep me glued to the pages.

Our story starts off with the protagonist stuck in/>
Stefan Bach
Dec 10, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Angsty orphan with his head in the clouds didn't get his happy story so he decides to destroy the world?
Orphan with his name so conspicuously similar to Krillin's?

description

And then even the blurb is so filled with bullshit that they go so far to compare the worldbuilding with Sanderson's and prose with that of Rothfuss' (which is basically like they compared her wi
Kaitlin
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
* I read this as my Defence Against The Dark Arts OWL read *

This is a story which I think is a little hard to really describe as it tells the story in a fairly unique way. The book is divided into three main narrators, we have: Talon, a mimic who can take on the memories and skin of those she has killed; Kihrin, the real main character of the story who is telling his side of things; and another character who infrequently gives his opinions and any extra information needed to the read
Veronica ⭐️
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, fantasy
*https://theburgeoningbookshelf.blogsp...

The story opens with Kihrin in prison guarded by Talon. Talon asks, I should say forces, Kihrin to tell his story whilst she also narrates her part of Kihrin’s story.

Kihrin’s narration is in first person and starts as a 16 year old Kihrin is being sold in a slave auction. Talin’s is in third person and starts a year earlier with 15 year old Kihrin living with adoptive parents in the slums of the lower ci
Krystal
Look.

I cannot count the number of times this book had me feeling confused.

There are so many names and most are hard to pronounce and often similar so it was incredibly difficult to keep track of who was who and what was what. Then you throw in the genealogy and the adultery and the body snatching and the illusions and I DON'T KNOW WHO ANYONE IS.

There's a boy.
There's a witch.
There's a flirty magic boy.
There's an old sorcerer dude.
There's a tyrant. (Act/>I
Sherwood Smith
The next big blockbuster fantasy series, at least according to the massive publicity push.

There are three narrative threads switching back and forth, sometimes with lightning speed: there is the present-day, in which our handsome hero, Kihrin, is in prison, telling his story to Talon in first person.

Then we get Talon’s narrative intrusions explaining Kihrin’s past, interpolated with a mysterious narrator who also adds footnotes.

It’s clear that the author is having prime fun with na
Beth
The The Ruin of Kings was not for me. I do like complex fantasy. I enjoy great world building with descriptive storytelling. And here comes the BUT. But the story is presented in a very original way but I found convoluted and quite confusing way that lead to me developing zero character connections.

I received this ARC copy of The Ruin of Kings from Macmillan-Tor/Forge. This is my honest and voluntary review. The Ruin of Kings is set for publication Feb. 5, 2019.
Liz Barnsley
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was one you have to commit to being a tome but the read just flies by because it is utterly fantastic. In fact I wouldn’t have minded a bit more…
A good fantasy novel lives and dies on its world building and characters and Jenn Lyons has an intricately imaginative eye for both – a rich tapestry that offers up new insight every time you look at it – a complex and highly intriguing setting with multiple levels that inform and affect the characters you meet there.
The story is t
Dianne
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a preview! THE RUIN OF KINGS by Jenn Lyons looks to be a fabulous fantasy read with all of the action, the quests and the outstanding characters that have hit every one of my must read buttons!

My only regret is that I didn’t realize this was only a preview but I do appreciate the length of it! There is enough to be more than just an info dump.

I received a complimentary PREVIEW edition from Tor-Forge! Expected publication date for the entire book is February, 2019.

For Reviews, Giveaways, Fabulous Book News, follo
Tricia Levenseller
This was fun! I tend to get bored while reading epic fantasy, but that wasn’t the case with this one! The dialogue was well done, and I admire the unique storytelling method. I wouldn’t pick this up if you’re a fan of hard magic systems with clear rules, but if you like more wondrous magic (and dragons!) I would give it a try!
Eric Allen
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A friend of mine who is still in the business sent me an extremely well-worn ARC of this book, saying that, literally, everyone I used to work with when I was still writing and editing articles had already read and completely loved it. I used to work with some extraordinarily hard to please critics, so if they all loved it, it must be pretty good. I've been looking for new fantasy authors/series to follow lately. Seems like there's a lot of buzz about this book, so hopefully, it'll live up to al ...more
✨    jamieson   ✨
DNF @ page 200

I honestly can't believe I'm dnf'ing this because it should've been right up my alley but I just can't get into it. I've tried physical and audio and its not happening. I really dislike the framed narration of the story and the dual timelines, and the inclusion of footnotes. I also don't like the main narrator's voice? They're supposed to be that quirky quippy character but because I don't find them that funny it doesn't really work for me

If this book was sh
Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I was so pumped to dive into The Ruin of Kings. Especially after getting accepted for this but, unfortunately, I ended up disappointed. Honestly, it could've been the format (since I read this on my phone) but it's just like.. ugh, nope.

At first, the characters were interesting and I wanted to know more about them. BUT, ugh, I couldn't stand the backstories anymore. One and done people! I didn't need to know what pe
Ashleigh | Wild Heart Reads
The Ruin of Kings puts the epic in epic fantasy. The sheer scope of this novel is tremendous. I’m pretty sure that if you look up epic in the dictionary you’ll find this book staring up at you. The smallest detail mentioned in passing will come back 200 pages later to kick your ass (or I guess more accurately Kihrin’s ass).

When they brought me up to the auction block, I looked out over the crowd and thought: I would kill you all if I had a knife.
And if I wasn’t naked, I amended
/>
Jessi (Novel Heartbeat)
DNF @ 150 pages

The storytelling was tedious and made me want to bash my skull into a wall. It flip flopped back and forth between Khirin's story - in first person, at point B in the timeline; and Talon's story - in third person, talking about Khirin/Rook, at point A in the timeline. I think it would have been interesting if it had been done just a certain way, but this one sooo did not work for me.

There were a lot of names and places being thrown around - names that sounded like my cat deci
Esme
I have no idea how I'm going to rate this. It's one of the rare books where there are parts I truly love, and some that I seriously hated. That always makes coming up with a score/rating particularly difficult.

This had really neat world building that had some very cool ideas, there was a lot going on, politics, mysteries, non human races, dragons.... but it had horrible pacing and very odd structure choice.
Katiria
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites-books
*** I received this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review, thank you so much to NetGalley and Tor Books for allowing me to read and review The Ruin of Kings. ***

First I would like to apologize for writing this review so late since I finished reading The Ruin of Kings last February but I was really busy in life in general after February. But I cannot describe you on how amazingly fantastic was The Ruin of Kings for me I just love everything about it. Now I won't go
Brenda Waworga
The blurb said this book is perfect for Sanderson and Rothfuss fans (me me me)! and i put so high expectation for this book and ended up pretty much disappointed and i feel exhausted when i finished read this

The writing style is peculiar .. told in first person and 2nd person told the 1st person story (2 different timelines back and forth every chapter) like 2 people did conversation and sometimes in 3rd person POV.. there were also footnotes and tbh i feel annoyed with them cause they are just
Megan
I made it about 175 pages in and then I just....
I can't.

I tried very hard, but to be quite honest, after about 30 pages, I was hate-reading out of spite, and I have better ways to spend my time.

Here's my main two problems with it:

1. Even if your frame device--a letter about how the whole book is an "account" being sent to some kind of king/magistrate/judge (I admit, I can't remember)--says something along the lines of: "I know you probably know a lot of this lore, but I left it in the accoun
Anna
Aug 09, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF at page 227. I can't do this.
The world-building and magic system are super interesting, but also confusing. Too many names that sound similar, I always had to double-check.
My biggest problems were the treatment of women in this world. They have no rights, for the first 150 pages or so the only female characters are a 15-year-old sex slave and her brothel owner who was a slave once too and hated it, but for some reason, she still owns slaves herself now???? And an old woman who is some
The Captain
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Ahoy there mateys!  Today finally be the release day for this fantasy book and I had an unusual journey towards obtaining this novel and also in how I read it . . .

Well mateys.  When I first requested this book via NetGalley, I was super excited to read it.  I was very much engaged in the beginning of the story and was avidly devouring it when it abruptly ended!  Apparently I got an excerpt copy which contained chapters 1 to 23!  I don't I don't normally do memes here on me log but d
Sana
Jun 26, 2018 marked it as anti-library  ·  review of another edition
So this is 'a story about an orphan whose dream of being a lost prince turns into a nightmare when he discovers his real family is vile' Well, now I need it in my life.

Also, the opening lines are so good? I'm a fan of a first line where monsters are mentioned:
'Tell me a story.'

The monster slouched down by the iron bars of Kihrin’s jail cell. She set a small, plain stone down on the ground between them and pushed it forward.

She didn’t look like a monster. Talon lo
peter j
Jun 20, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Brandon Sanderson + Patrick Rothfuss? I'm a shallow guy. Count me the fuck in!
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
As always this review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

There’s something to be said for losing yourself in a book. Forgetting about the outside world and the stresses and strains of life, letting it all take a backseat and allowing it to fade into the background as you consume page after page and The Ruin of Kings is one such book. It is both a sprawling epic, grand in scope and scale and also a deeply personal tale for Kihrin.

I’ll not get down and dirty

• The Raven Tower
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan, #1)
  • The Gutter Prayer (The Black Iron Legacy, #1)
  • The Priory of the Orange Tree
  • Seven Blades in Black (The Grave of Empires, #1)
  • The Rage of Dragons (The Burning, #1)
  • Master of Sorrows (The Silent Gods, #1)
  • Holy Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #3)
  • Blood of an Exile (Dragons of Terra, #1)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • For the Killing of Kings
  • The Wolf's Call (Raven's Blade #1)
  • Dragonslayer
  • The Dragon Republic (The Poppy War, #2)
  • Ship of Smoke and Steel (The Wells of Sorcery, #1)
  • Middlegame
  • The Bone Ships (The Tide Child, #1)
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
Jenn Lyons lives in Atlanta, Georgia, with her husband, three cats, and a lot of opinions on anything from the Sumerian creation myths to the correct way to make a martini. At various points in her life, she has wanted to be an archaeologist, anthropologist, architect, diamond cutter, fashion illustrator, graphic designer, or Batman. Turning from such obvious trades, she is now a video game produc ...more

A Chorus of Dragons (3 books)
  • The Name of All Things (A Chorus of Dragons, #2)
  • The Memory of Souls (A Chorus of Dragons, #3)
“She pushed a dagger into my hands. "And now you are a man with a knife. Woe to the Empire.” 5 likes
“There’s a prophecy. Actually no, it’s more like a thousand prophecies. It’s the collected rantings of a thousand people, the demons possessing them, and whole orders of scholars have spent centuries trying to pull any kind of coherent meaning from them. Relos Var and his lord, Duke Kaen of Yor, believe the prophecies refer to an end time, a great cataclysm, when a single man of vast evil will rise up. The ‘Hellwarrior’ will conquer the Manol, strip the vané of our immortality, kill the Emperor, destroy the Empire of Quur, and free the demons. In his right hand he will hold Urthaenriel, and with his left, he will crush the world and remake it as he desires.” Teraeth sipped at his cup. “Presumably by wiping away the old gods and replacing them with himself, as is tradition.” 0 likes