Start by marking “The Youngest Hero” as Want to Read:

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  144 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
The Youngest Hero
Published April 3rd 2002 by Warner Faith (first published March 28th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Youngest Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Youngest Hero

Deb
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Youngest Hero is a "rags to riches", Horatio Alger type of story. I really enjoyed this tale of young Elgin Woodall who has a deep love for "America's pastime". Despite his family's hardships and an absent father, Elgin tries to fulfill his dreams of making it into the "big league". You do not need to be a sports fan to fall in love with Elgin, his mother and all the other characters who were created by Jerry Jenkins. I found this audiobook very captivating and emotional. The use of two dif ...more
Angel Parrish
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: snagged-library
Saved $11 because I Snagged @ the Library

Once again, Jenkins is the consummate storyteller!

Here is a story that isn't profound, and is not necessarily important. But it's real, it's solid, and once again is a page-turner like we expect from Jenkins. I don't understand baseball in the detail it is described in this book, and yet I found myself fascinated by the descriptions. The characters are genuine and believable and you want to root for them. The problems are all too real-world and believable
Ron
Aug 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Forget Left Behind, Jenkins hits a home run with sports books. The Youngest Hero has great storytelling, a great story, and great heart.
Alex Laferriere
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Youngest Hero, written by Jerry B. Jenkins, takes place in the city of Chicago during the late 1900’s. It is about a young boy, Elgin, whose family is torn apart by stress and anxiety. His father, who had the talent to play professional baseball, ruined his career and became a drunken alcoholic who never sees his son anymore. His mother, although she loves him very much, works long days and does not see Elgin much. Consequently, Elgin is a lonely boy, who has only one thing to hold on to, ba ...more
Nora St Laurent
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it

I really liked this book. The youngest hero puts in a lot of hard work and over comes incredible odds. The Youngest Hero stands as a legend for our troubled times. The story of a brave young mother, protecting her gifted son during his spectacular rise, becomes a rousing portrait of their unbreakable bond and of the power of faith and love to make even the most improbable dream come true.

This makes for a fun read and one that would work well for a book club pick.

Disclosure of Material Connection
Adrian Miral
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was very interesting, as sports books are my favourites. This book is about a young boy named Elgin Woodell and his single mother trying to make Elgins baseball dreams come true. He wants to be the star baseball player his dad once was, until drugs and alcohol wasted him. Elgin and his mom, Miriam move to Chicago, and instantly, he meets kids his age who play baseball. Every day they would play, but he wanted to play on a league team. So he was signed up, but dominated his age group, s ...more
Ryan
Sep 20, 2015 rated it liked it
The Youngest Hero is a great book that tells the story of baseball prodigy, Elgin Woodell, and the struggles that his family goes through on his path to becoming one of the greatest baseball players of all time. Beneath this young boys dream, readers follow the struggles of his mother, trying to help her son achieve his dream, all while trying to provide him a modest life and balancing the headache of Elgin's drunk, imprisoned father. All while Elgin's mom battles with her own demons and balanci ...more
Rogelio
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I like the book in a way that I was able to appreciate more about baseball. Though I had difficulty in understanding some baseball jargon like the baseball throws players use such fastpitch, curves, etc. Anyway, the story focuses on the struggles of a Mother and her son, the youngest hero, in moving forward with their lives even without a man in the family while doing the things that matter the most -- being together and achieving their dreams.
Swantje
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
I'm skeptical of the author's Left Behind series, but enjoyed this story very much. I don't understand that much about baseball, but all the descriptions gripped me anyway. The characters are believable and you root for mother and son not to become overwhelmed by the success he has through his talent and hard work.
I listened to the audio version, it was great to have two narrators for the two points of view.
Megan
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was another of my FIL's audiobooks we listened to on our road trip. If you like baseball you will enjoy this book! If you don't like baseball...you will probably still enjoy this book! The storytelling is fabulous (I thought it was a true story at first, the details were so superb...and I don't know any baseball history). It's one of those feel good books that critics probably hate but it just makes you smile. This book was a Home Run!
Paula-O
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a great story of a young boy who loved his dad and wanted to be just like or better then his dad in baseball. He taught himself many things and excelled in the game by working very very hard to learn the game. His mother helped him by the way they lived and she supported his dream. You will like this book whether you are a baseball fan or not, I did...
Lawrence
Jan 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm a baseball fan and I've enjoyed many other Jenkins stories. So this combination made for a quick and entertaining read. I think it's enjoyable even if you don't like baseball because Jenkins makes you care about the main characters.
Elisa
Aug 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Story of forgiveness, love and focus on God's calling. Set in Chicago, and written from the perspective of the mom and her son. At times, the son seems unrealistically adult to be only 11 years old, but I've never met a child prodigy before either. An easy, enjoyable read.
Sheila
Aug 28, 2008 rated it liked it
As much as I hate to admit it I thoguht the book dragged on for the first 200 pages. Once it picked up the pace though I did enjoy it, although not as much as I have some of Jenkins' other works.
Melissa
Sep 15, 2014 rated it liked it
young baseball player and his mother. Great story about love and parenting but a bit too drawn out. Listened to audio.
Chris
Nov 20, 2008 is currently reading it
This book so far is good. I smile every time i read it
Jessica
May 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not my favorite. That may have to do with the fact that I am not a baseball fan. There was lots of baseball stats and talk of different plays. Just not my thing.
Beth
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a great book. It touches on forgiveness and not holding things against people. Perfect for guys who love baseball.
Austin
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Best fictitious baseball book ever written. Love it. Multiple reader
Cindy
Sep 04, 2010 rated it liked it
This was a book about baseball. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I would know more about baseball. Still a good book.
Brandee Terry
May 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a quick and easy read. I love Jenkins and his style of writing and this book is no exception.
aqua
Jun 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who knows baseball well
Recommended to aqua by: my dad bought me it
about baseball, fouls, fly balls, curve balls, pitching machines...and a life without your dad
Jean
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
I wasn't too crazy about this book. Too much baseball.
Sonya
  • Dare To Dream!: 25 Extraordinary Lives
  • The Illuminati
  • Shall We Gather
  • The Preacher and the Presidents: Billy Graham in the White House
  • Conservatize Me: How I Tried to Become a Righty with the Help of Richard Nixon, Sean Hannity, Toby Keith, and Beef Jerky
  • Hope: A School, a Team, a Dream
  • A Chance to Win: Boyhood, Baseball, and the Struggle for Redemption in the Inner City
  • Old Songs in a New Cafe: Selected Essays
  • The Golden One (LucasFilm's Alien Chronicles, #1)
  • Runaway Heart
  • Striking Gridiron: A Town's Pride and a Team’s Shot at Glory During the Biggest Strike in American History
  • The Cure
  • Lead... for God's Sake!
  • Digger
  • Mary Higgins Clark Presents Malice Domestic (Malice Domestic, #2)
  • Critical Condition
Jerry Bruce Jenkins is an American novelist and biographer. He is best known as co-author of the Left Behind series of books with Tim LaHaye. Jenkins has written over 185 books, including mysteries, historical fiction, biblical fiction, cop thrillers, international spy thrillers, and children's adventures, as well as non-fiction. His works usually feature Christians as protagonists. In 2005, Jenki ...more
More about Jerry B. Jenkins...