Start by marking “Firstborn Academy: Shadow Trials” as Want to Read:
Firstborn Academy: Shadow Trials

Firstborn Academy: Shadow Trials

(Firstborn Academy #1)

HARRY POTTER MEETS THE HUNGER GAMES
Ever since magic stormed the world, the price for human survival is surrendering your firstborn to the monsters.

But this year it's Nova's turn, and the monsters better watch their backs.

"If you're looking for a fresh and dangerous twist on a magical academy series, this is it."
--Advanced Reader

I am the firstborn in my family. The first
Published September 23rd 2019 by JFP Press

To ask other readers questions about Firstborn Academy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Firstborn Academy

Start your review of Firstborn Academy: Shadow Trials
Jeanny
A potentially great . Hoping the second book is better than the first, bc at the moment I’m feeling apathetic. I’m not necessarily in love with any of the characters & know little about the world itself but the series has unfulfilled potential. Potential I hope we will make progress on in the second book. Should I go on to the second book it’ll be a decision based on hope alone. So yes, hope for potential would be my motivation to continue & that is not enough to recommend this series. ...more
Debbie Turk
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, This Is A Gritty, Dystopian/Sci-Fi Academy Story that's Unique!! 4.5 Stars!
(Read using Kindle Unlimited)
Firstborn Academy: Shadow Trials (Firstborn Academy #1)

This is a very intriguing & unique academy tale! In a dystopian future the Earth is invaded by Alien beings called World Walkers! After trying to fight back & losing, millions of humans died but the following famines & diseases resulted in the deaths of billions!! Eventually the Walkers made an offer to save them but it
Amanda
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holy Effing Thrills And Suspense!!

Firstborn Academy blew every possible expectation from mind and completely enthralled me from start to finish! I'm blown away with the utter uniqueness of this book that subtly combined a few different genres and made it damn near unputdownable! The MC was likeable, the action and suspense was palapable, and the bond of friendship and family is interwoven beautifully with the ever-pressing need for survival. I can't say enough good things about this book and I'm
Linda U. Dickens
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended

Really enjoyable. Finally an academy story without all the sex. Haven't read a story line quite like this one. Very interesting characters and world. Looking forward to the next book.
Devz Milady
Dec 06, 2019 rated it liked it
This review is for the first two books of the series.
I dropped this series part through the second one.

Briefly, this book goes with a 'Save the world' theme and the concept of an all evil villain and the too-good heroine. So Nova and her friend Ameline are send off to an unknown place as the first borns of their family based on a decades old treaty with a super-human group. They discover that the 'unknown scary place' is an academy where they are trained and put into trials and made into
Neeraja Sankaran
Dec 19, 2019 rated it liked it
While this book is interesting in its approach--as one person put it, a kind of Harry Potter meets Hunger Games--I don't think that it's going to take the world by storm, in the way Harry Potter or the His Dark Materials books did, most certainly. I never got into Hunger Games so I can't say. I mean, even Artemis Fowl (Harry Potter with attitude as a friend so accurately described it) never gained even a fraction of the Potter popularity. Maybe in the small niche of YA (and this book is ...more
Sydney LeClere
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 Mildly Confusing Stars

Shadow Trials is the first book in the Firstborn Academy series by Isla Frost.

I’m still trying to decipher the origins of the invaders in this book. I thought it was going to turn out to be a unique twist on fae. Rather I’ve come to discover they might just be alien in nature. Perhaps an odd mesh of the two?

Nova is presumably like all the other firstborn children since the Watchers invaded their planet, decimating a wide portion of the human population. The black fog
Katia H
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
This was equal part great, part boring. No one knows anything. Not you. Not her. Some people do. But they won't tell you anything until later. It's just that I didn't know later meant almost literally at the end of the book and even then you don't know everything.

And you don't really get to know anyone either (with two exceptions to an extent), even though there's plenty opportunities and semi interesting people you'd want to know. But they're just sort of floating there in the book, not
Joanne
Dec 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm slightly conflicted about this one. It was enjoyable: a quick, easy read with a likeable enough main character. I finished it in no time at all and definitely did like reading it.

It also lacked depth and contained many of the cliches found with YA. The main character herself was a bit of a cliche, although a likeable one. Very much 'not like other girls', whilst everyone else her age is worried about romance and popularity, Nova doesn't have time for all that silliness! She has a much better
April M
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think my favorite character is Millicent. She is fascinating, smart, caring, and vindictive. lol. But I don't blame Nova and Brynn for thinking the worst when they are pulled from their families and alone in a room that appears to have no doors. lol.

I loved this story and the characters in this book. I really enjoyed the writing style in this book. I enjoyed the snippets of future that the reader was privy to, even though it was small. I enjoyed how a good part of the story was spent to trying
Jamie
Oct 29, 2019 rated it liked it
The premise of this book is interesting enough. The world building is a little confusing in places. There are times the author over explains things and other times where things need more explaining and you are left to wonder what is what. Even with all of that I like the idea of the world/s.

I like the characters. I say I like them but I could love them if they were more fleshed out or shown more.

One of the things with this book that bothered me was so many things happens off page and are only
Bernard
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
The book takes three plots that are common in the fantasy genre, and combines them in an interesting way.

Take a dystopian story line. Add magic with lethal creatures. Add in a magical academy. Oh, and just to keep the readers guessing, make sure there are deep, dark secrets waiting... All in all, not a bad recipe. The plot comes together nicely.

The characters, unfortunately, do not. Remember those fantasy plot lines we used above? Take typical characters from them and throw them into the story.
Corey Lovato
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pretty good

I liked this book. I didn’t love it but i liked it. A lot. Excellent world building great character growth and some of the best characters I’ve read in awhile. The three girls were amazing together they made an excellent team. The main Heroine was clever and a great leader and the other two side characters complemented her. The thing that kept me from loving this book though was we still have no idea why anything is happening. It’s frustrating as a reader to have to wait (for me
Bouchra
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
It was a good book but in the beginning it was hard for me to really get into this universe.

The synopsis is correct it is indeed "HARRY POTTER MEETS THE HUNGER GAMES".
So you enjoy the Harry Potter vibe and then something happens that reminds you of the other part of the story and you're are little thrown.

I am curious about where the story is going to go so I will read the 2nd book but I'm a little worried about the "villains". The way the walkers were introduced is a little weird.
We'll see how
Orianna Blesi
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So, so good!

I was skeptical of this book, as I am of all books in this genre, as 99% of them turn out to be disappointing. This one, however, sucked me right in and didn't even let go at the end! I'm off to read the next one immediately. If you like smart, kind heroines, mysterious storylines with just enough answers to keep you going, and plenty of action and excellent world-building, then this book is for you. You won't regret it!
T.
Nov 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shadow Trials, book 1 of the Firstborn Academy series was strong on concept, but disappointing on execution. There was a lot of potential in the storyline, but the plot development felt incomplete and the writer missed opportunities to pull the reader in by experiencing the story rather than hearing about results. There is still a lot of potential in the storyline, but I'm on the fence about book 2.
Lirae
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: academy
I enjoyed, definitely worth a read, and gets better and better throughout the series as you get to know the characters more. A great mix of dystopian and fantasy, I’m not actually that into dystopian novels but this was a perfect balance for me- and not too much a classic academy book. Not much romance until the second book but is quite minor- which I quite like because the girl is not defined by her love interest and doesn’t rely on a guy to do things. Great series, definitely give it a read!
Debbie Hogue
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pleasantly Different

I noticed the cover of this book on Amazon and decided that it might be a good read. Having read several related novels, I expected more of the same and I was pleasantly surprised that this is not the same. The story focuses on strength and working together. It’s a good book and I believe that it would appeal to all ages. I am looking forward to reading the second in the series. Well done!
Steph
Nov 06, 2019 rated it liked it

This book i struggled with. while the whole concept of the story deffinantly intrigues me, Some parts where just not delivered very well. To the point where i skipped some sections. Way to much detail and pointless to the storyline i felt.

But i am curious to see what happens in the next book.
Ken
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lot of potential

This book wasn’t boring like many of the reviews made it out to be. I could wish for a better editor but I have seen far worse. The storyline was fun, different and exciting at times. The narrative seemed rushed at times skipping over things that I felt would have added to the story. But, it didn’t hurt the story.
Cindy Dillman
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First born Academy

Isla Frost, you have delivered a fast past, slow drama, intense intrigue, delightfully spooky, thoughtful military training story. I was entranced reading the blurb, but totally engrossed when reading it. Had to finish it quickly and am now impatiently waiting for more of Nova, Bryn, Ameline, The use and Lirille. Keep the good stuff coming.
Jessica
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gutsy heroine

If you love fantasy stories with a head strong and loyal heroine that isn’t boy crazy but has two equally heroic friends, then you’ll love this book. Also, the story is so unique. I’ve never read anything like it, and that’s saying something because I read a lot. Hopefully I will be able to devour book 2 tomorrow!
Alison
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating!

While I can see how the Academy is a cross between Hunger Games and Hogwarts, this story is so much more! A unique twist to the usual school story, mixed with magic and possibly sci fi. A hugely enjoyable and enthralling tale, l will be continuing to read this series!
Jeffrey Collyer
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great twist on magic-coming-of-age genre

This deserves to be better-known. It’s a brilliantly imagined world - a mixture of post-apocalyptic/fantasy/sci-fi that works really well and makes for an interesting take on the training-for-we-don’t-know-what story. I enjoyed it very much and read in a day, can’t wait for book 2!
Charles Wood
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shadow Trials

Nova, Aveline, and Bryn, three 17 year-old firstborns, are forced into the academy run by the creatures that devastated the Earth. Will they stay together? Will they pass all their classes? Will they survive? A very well written story with interesting characters and unexpected plot twists.
Aditi
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Harry Potter meets Hunger games sounds great doesn't it? I feel like the wrong things were elaborated on in the books, the house that head feelings etc great, the classes? Barely touched upon
I didn't feel invested in any of the characters. I am not sure I will continue the series
MKYHome
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Your enemy is my enemy?

Great urban fantasy with some world building and character development. There are so many twists and turns as one lands on his own feet or with the assistance of others. What war are we fighting, don't forget to shur up th walls.
Pam Collins
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good read!

I usually dislike dystopia based books, but this one is very intriguing. The 3 main characters friendship and loyalty is heartwarming, and inspiring, especially in the thrilling life threatening situations they face. Enjoy!
Roxanne
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellence

This series is off to a great start! I finished this book in one evening and am now going to move on to the second. Definitely reminded me of "The Hunger Games" and I highly recommend this series. You won't regret it
Liz Madill
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyable!

Different from most books with more mystery and suspense. A paranormal dystopian background with the mfc on a mission to change the status of the way the world works. Loved it!

• Outling
  • Dragonsworn
  • Untamed Magic (Academy of the Elites, #1)
  • Evermore Academy: Winter
  • Fire & Flood (Mount Olympus Academy, #1)
  • Demigods Academy: Year One
  • First Term (Dragon Fire Academy #1)
  • Second Term (Dragon Fire Academy #2)
  • The New Girl (Shifter Academy: United, #1)
  • The Bloodwood Academy Shifter: Semester One (The Bloodwood Academy #1)
  • Demigods Academy - Year Two: (Young Adult Supernatural Urban Fantasy)
  • Unleashing Trials: Year 1 (Academy of Sorcery #1)
  • The Bloodwood Academy Shifter: Semester Two (The Bloodwood Academy, #2)
  • Night Shade Academy
  • Hybrid Academy: Year One
  • Broken Magic (Academy of the Elites, #2)
  • Supernatural Academy: Year Two (Supernatural Academy, #2)
  • Titania Academy Book One: Faerie Misborn

Firstborn Academy (2 books)
  • Firstborn Academy: Shadow Witch