Start by marking “The Fearing: Air and Dust (The Fearing #3)” as Want to Read:
The Fearing: Air and Dust (The Fearing #3)

The Fearing: Air and Dust

(The Fearing #3)

John F.D. Taff's apocalyptic novel, The Fearing, continues in Book Three: Air & Dust as Adam and Jelnik make their way to a prophetic meeting and a mysterious darkness is creeping inward from the horizon, further threatening the lives of all who remain.

Amid the devastation of his Georgia church, a Baptist minister comforts an orphaned girl suffering from amnesia. All s
Published October 1st 2019 by Grey Matter Press

To ask other readers questions about The Fearing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fearing

Start your review of The Fearing: Air and Dust (The Fearing #3)
Michael Hicks
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My review of THE FEARING: AIR & DUST can be found at High Fever Books.

The biggest problem with reviewing each installment of a serialized novel as good as John F.D. Taff’s The Fearing is that you risk running out of superlatives pretty early on. Air & Dust is the penultimate chapter in Taff’s post-apocalyptic epic and having already heaped praise aplenty on the prior installments, what’s left to say now that we’re three-quarters through this story and moving into the endgame? (Unless Taff
The Grim Reader
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Oh man, I so wish The Fearing was one whole book...even splitting it into two books would work, not four novellas. Unfortunately The Fearing #3 suffers a little from not much happening. The final couple of chapters of Air and Dust got me excited for the final book, but what came before was a lot of chat about where folk were going and not much else. Another problem I had is that I've read so much in between this book and the last that it took me a while to remember who everybody was and what had ...more
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Writing up a review for Cemetery Dance! Coming soon!
Holly (The Grimdragon)
“The thing’s mouth was open wide, as if it had unhinged like a snake’s. Inside were row after row of sharpened teeth, an obscenely pulsating tongue darting over them. Everything–the creature’s teeth, its lips, its cheeks–were stained red, smeared with blood, extravagant amounts of blood. Blood dripped from its chin, blood ran down its neck, soaked into its soiled white shirt. It twisted its head at them, gnashed its teeth, and blood flew in a speckled foam from it.”

This is just over 100 pag
Jamie Stewart
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book Three changes the formula of the previous two books by having some of the characters settle in a specific place for the duration of this volume. With this I still proclaim that John Taff is a bastard demon of a storyteller. Book Two ends on a heart shattering cliff hanger that we don’t get to see what happens next for fifty pages, fifty pages that are excellent to read. I do feel this my least favourite of the three books published so far. Book One is all set up and as such there isn’t the ...more
Mindi
Sep 30, 2019 added it
Review to follow...
Michael
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book Three did not disappoint.

Each of these Fearing books are like the scary cool ride that just opened at an amusement park: wait, wait, wait in line, finally get on and hold on tight, scream through the speed, drops and flips and then all too quickly, come screeching to a halt back at the gate. All you want to do is to ride it again, but, there’s soo many rides. Lol.

The countdown until Book Four begins.
D.K. Hundt
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it

I don’t think I’m alone in saying that the end of Book Two absolutely crushed me, so I knew diving into AIR & DUST would be difficult, to say the least! (Lyrics to a certain Jefferson Starship song immediately popped into my head after reading that ending. My heart!)

I would recommend reading each book in the series close together, if possible. I have read a few books between Book Two and Three, so I needed to go back and re-read WATER & WIND before reading AIR & DUST, even though th
Armand Rosamilia
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
More twists and turns in this serialized apocalyptic thriller. I'm loving it. The characters aren't one dimensional and keep surprising me at every turn. I can't wait for the next part of this!
Gavin
Sep 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Full Review To Follow

The calm before the storm.

After two volumes of rip roaring apocalyptic action, Air & Dust calms us down, let's the characters breath, discuss what's going on and prepare for what I'm expecting to be the mother of all showdowns.

A couple of fantastic set pieces are in Book 3. I wish one of them was fleshed out a little more but that'll be me being greedy.

As much as I have enjoyed this serialization it's when a lull in the story to build
John Lynch
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book 3 of The Epic Serial Novel by John F.D. Taff is here, and it should not come as a surprise that it’s another excellent piece of work.

If you’re reading this review, I can only assume that you’ve read the first two books, or maybe you’ve been reading each review to see if the whole thing comes together. Book 3 continues our journey through the fear ridden apocalypse. One might think that having the bigger fears out of the way, the smaller fears might be more manageable. One would
Al Burke
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Part three is out, and I have to say, it's my least favourite of the series so far. Not a whole lot happens, apart from a vampire attack, of which I wasn't fond of its resolution. Kyle mopes over Sarah, and meets up with the gang on the bus, and we discover that Adam, who's spearheaded the events in the series, has a fear of his own - a nemesis of sorts. Towards the end, a new character shows up, one who claims he will lead humankind through the Apocalypse, but he'll do it with an iron fist. Is ...more
Josh reading
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow things are really ramping up in the third serial novel in John F D Taff’s Fearing series. I love the serial format so much, it gives the reader something to look forward to “in the next installment”. After all the tumultuous events that have occurred in the first three parts, I can’t even imagine how John is going to wrap everything up in the next, final volume. Bring it on John Taft, I can’t wait to see how The Fearing comes through cataclysm to its final conclusion!
Scott Kemper
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review to come soon.
Brennan LaFaro
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If I were to write a serialized novel, I'd imagine the hardest part would be pacing. As opposed to a 500 page continuous novel, each separate entry needs to grab the reader with the opening, keep their attention for the next 80 pages or so, and then end in a way that leaves you anxious for the next installment. It's not just any apocalyptic doorstop novel that could work as well as John Taff's The Fearing has so far.
Part 3 picks up with Mark and Monday, and finds them in a camp made up of
A.E.
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After the roller coaster that Taff put readers through with that ending from Part 2 of The Fearing, I was still reeling (and in a state of shock from the end), but also desperate to find out what happens next. I was also terrified to find out what else fate would have in store for the characters in Part 3. The final countdown is officially on for the forthcoming final part, Book 4, that will conclude this saga of epic proportions in November.

In this third volume, we get some more ans
Aina
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
After the chaos and relentless action in the previous installments, Book Three takes a breather. We spend more time with Reverend Mark along with a host of other characters. Despite the initial feeling of safety in numbers, danger still lurks. And monsters can appear in many disguises. This time, it's in the form of a man proclaiming to be the saviour of all.

Book Three looks at the aftermath of Book Two and the effect it left on everyone involved. We also find out a little more of wh
Matt
Shelves: horror-books
We are so close to the end and I don't know if I want it to be done. Taff uses book three as the calm before the storm and it's extremely affective in pulling us deeper into the story. A lot happens here to set up the end game.

Now, I know I said this is the calm before the storm, but that doesn't mean there isn't action. Some haunting events occur to our survivors and reminds us that the Fear is still here and in charge. I think this one might have more blood than the other two.

The only thing
Lesley Hillman
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book Three in The Fearing series was more of a 'scene setter' for book four. That's what I took from it anyways. I felt it lacked some of the excitement of books one and two, but nevertheless it's a great read.

You can feel all the strands coming together now. That culmination is working grasp. The author keeps the crumbs coming, teasing the big finale, the showdown.

Book Three seems to settle on the Reverend Mark. We get a glimpse of our other survivors, but this chapter is definitely his. I w
Laurel
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The third installment of this epic serial released masterpiece is, I think, my favorite so far. There's a lot of traveling in this volume, as you'd expect with survivors (for now) of an apocalypse, but that doesn't mean anyone gets to relax. The fearing is still ongoing, with new horrors, new characters, and new overarching threats. Some of the fears addressed in this third chapter were heartbreaking, some were skin crawling, and some were all too realistic. I loved the pacing, and that we got t ...more
Nate
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
By this third installment, Taff is really cooking with gas, piling on the scares with a disturbingly deft touch. What's really great though is the writing. 100 pages felt like half that. So many books these days are needlessly overlong, well-but-overwritten, forcing readers into slogging through what might have otherwise been good stories. Not so here. You're so involved with what's going on with these characters and wondering what madness is coming next that you barely notice as another 100 pag ...more
Jaime
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.

I am enjoying these stories so much!! This is the third in the series that I've recieved to listen to. Once I start, I pretty much listen straight through!   Such an original storyline! It leaves you griping your seat, heart racing the whole time. The characters are so well written, you get attached to them quickly.

My only suggestion is to buy the whole set! You will immediatel
Beth Nickel
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Fearing: Air and Dust takes you along on the wonderful , thrilling and nail biting ride that John F.D Taff started in Book #1 and continued in Book#2 . Often when an author does this kind of thing I get bored, but not this time, and not with this writer.

Your bookshelves are not complete unless you add this series, pick them up and read them- you will thank me.
David Burnham
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Where to begin? The end is nigh for this post-apocalyptic masterpiece and I have a problem, but it’s a nice one to have. I’m running out of superlatives to use when reviewing John F.D. Taff’s serialized novel, “The Fearing.” I mean, how many different ways are there to say “these books are great, go buy them”? Read my full review on The Haunted Pen website at https://bit.ly/2MudulJ
timj26
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you made it this far you already know how good it is
The majority of this follows the mark and Monday storyline
As the apocalypse rages on hidden powers and identity’s are revealed
Fantastic narration from linda as usual
Can’t wait to see how it all ends highly recommended
I received a free review audiobook and voluntarily left this review
Mike
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book Three in the series and The Fearing continues to deliver. This has been a great apocalyptic ride, capturing the fears and horrors of mankind. With Book Three the stage is being set for the finale, and I for one, can't wait to see how this wraps up with the next book.
David
Shelves: read-in-2019
I love this story and can not wait for the final book! Part 3 was excellent, as were the first two. Mr. Taff is taking no prisoners in this one and I expect all hell to break loose as the conclusion nears.
D. Ward
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another fantastic installment in this novella series. Dying to find out how it goes in the final one, Mr. Taff!
Alexander Pyles
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
*review pending*
Jonathan Tripp
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jesus!!! I'm so ready for part 4! I'm loving this story and how it unfolds. It's beautifully written, and brutal and fantastical! Read the Fearing series and let's spread the Fear!!

• The Pale White
  • Summer Frost
  • Ark
  • Dead Leaves: 9 Tales from the Witching Season

The Fearing (4 books)
  • The Fearing: Fire and Rain (The Fearing #1)
  • The Fearing: Water and Wind (The Fearing #2)
  • The Fearing: Earth and Ember (The Fearing #4)