Start by marking “Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)” as Want to Read:
Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)

Sweep of the Blade

(Innkeeper Chronicles #4)

Listening Length: 8 hours and 53 minutes

Maud Demille was a daughter of Innkeepers. She knew that a simple life wasn't in the cards, but she never anticipated what Fate would throw at her.

Once a wife to a powerful vampire knight, Maud and her daughter, Helen, had been exiled for the sins of her husband to the desolate planet of Karhari. Karhari killed her husband, and Maud
Audible Audio, Unabridged, 9 pages
Published September 18th 2019 by NYLA (first published July 16th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Sweep of the Blade, please sign up.
Meagen A I recommend reading this even though you aren’t fired up about Maud’s story. I,too, was a bit hesitant to read it because I wanted more from Dina’s…moreI recommend reading this even though you aren’t fired up about Maud’s story. I,too, was a bit hesitant to read it because I wanted more from Dina’s point of view. However, I should have known better. Whatever Ilona Andrews writes will a good story and worth reading. To me, the book still progresses the overall story arc of missing parents and brother. There’s been talk on the authors’ blog of continuing the story and it would likely pick up where this book left off. (less)

Start your review of Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
And the moral of this reread is: if it weren’t for their slightly opposite views on pathetic bloodsuckers fearsome vampires, you’d think Maud the Red and Kate Daniels were long lost, murderously lethal third cousins thrice removed. Or something. Also, I’m still finding it quite unacceptable that Arland didn’t get a little very much drunk on coffee in this instalment. I am most put out and stuff. Also also, too disgustingly PG this was, if you ask me. So sigh and stuff. Also also also, I love ...more
Aisling Zena
Re-read 31/7/19

2/12/18

We have finally reached the end my friends. If you want to read this for free, in it's entirety, this is your chance now before it gets taken down to be edited and published.Enjoy! Many, many thanks and deep gratitude to the authors for all their work on Innkeeper and sharing it with us for free.

Free online serial at: http://innkeeper.ilona-andrews.com/
Review updated on every chapter release, usually every week.

Chapter 1
carol.
"Maud's novella" is a drippy, uninspiring romance with absolutely boring world-building. The first four installments consist of Maud approaching the planet where her non-fiance vampire is from, landing on the planet and overhearing a gossipy conversation between two women, and then flying with her boyfriend to someplace else.

Vampires, in this book, stand in for conquistadors, royalty, billionaires or that other ruling house in their Texas series that I also didn't read the romance trope of
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
3.5 stars for the final enhanced version, which is quite a bit more detailed and smoother than the original online serial. :) Full review to come!

Original review of online freebie version (published in serial form on the Ilona Andrews website): With this installment in Ilona Andrews’ Innkeeper series, the main character shifts to Maud (sister of Dina, the previous main character). Arland, the space vampire, has fallen head over heels for Maud and wants her to go to his planet, marry him, and
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Ilona Andrews books are my crack, and I don't ever want to quit!!

Gah, this book! I could NOT put it down.

If you are a fan of this series, you will be blown away by Sweep of the Blade. Technically, you could try it as a stand-alone since Maud is the main focus of the story, but I highly recommend reading the other Innkeeper Chronicles books first, mainly because they are awesome.

I was so, so addicted to the story, right from the beginning. The pace is very fast, and the time reading will simply
Anne
description

I think most people are kind of over vampires, but these authors do a fantastic job of making these vampires interesting. In fact, if anyone were to ask me if I wanted to read about them, I'd probably tell them nobuthankyouforasking.
However, I'll read anything by Ilona Andrews.
And I'm glad I read this one.

description

Ok, so if you're unfamiliar with the Innkeeper Chronicles, it's basically an urban fantasy series about an alternate Earth with sentient Inns that contain portals to other planets...and
Holly
I read this book in a single day, because Ilona Andrews. I fan girl this writing team so hard it isn't even funny. So with that said, I am obviously unbiased ;)

I can't seem to write a review for this but here's my crappy attempt at it:

This feels a little like Kate Daniels, in that Maud has a lot of knowledge and also knows how to kick ass. Also, Arland has a whole lot of tradition and authority/responsibility he has to uphold, which seems to conflict directly with his choice of Maud as his
1st read - throughout 2018 (Read as it was released as a serial)
2nd read - January 2019 (Reread online when the serial was complete)
3rd read - July 2019 (Final published version)

As much as I love Dina and enjoy spending time at the Inn I'm really happy that we got a book about Maud and Arland. It was great to see more of the vampire culture and visit Arland's home planet but what I really enjoyed was seeing Maud find a place for herself with Arland's family - not just because Arland loves her
Cathy
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
“I do not comprehend this species. How have they ever managed to achieve interstellar civilization without self-destructing?”

Finally, after about one year of updates, the epilogue in December. And finally, finally the (view spoiler) with a little teaser for the next installment.

I am a little underwhelmed. There was too much discussion about who does what to whom and why for my taste. And too many too detailed descriptions of endless, different settings. And
Mei
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
While this can be read as a standalone, I would recommend reading the first thre books before this one! First because Maud is Dina's siter and second because Arland is present in all three of them. Besides there're also the lees with their leader Nuan Cee!

While Dina is basically a witty nice girl, Maud is forged by her circumstances into a real bad-ass woman! A true vampire more than a bad-ass human! I loved her and her ruthlessness!

Since meeting her I just new that she was perfect for Arland!

I
Phrynne
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So so good! And what a superb ending which leads perfectly into the next book. These authors really know how to write an absorbing and exciting story. All of the characters are great and I loved every bit of the vampire world they created. These are vampires with class!

I actual think I like this series even more than the Kate Daniels books. That is a huge compliment. Can't wait for the next book and more about Kraus, the Arbitrator.
Deborah Obida
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book turned out just how I expected, Of I'm been honest it exceeded my expectations. I've read 3 series by this duo and I still can't get enough. They always wow me.

“What’s bothering you?” he asked quietly.
“You told your mother.”
“Of course, I did. You’re not some shameful secret I’m going to hide.”
“No, I’m a disgraced exile who had the audacity to turn down a proposal from the most beloved son of House Krahr.”
He considered it. “Not the most beloved. My cousin is much more adorable than me.
Marta Cox
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-reviews
This review is for the instalment version that the authors were magnanimous enough to post for free on their website. It will disappear when the updated version is published so please be aware of that if you wish to read the tamer more PG version. Now I said tamer but honestly these Vampires are vicious, vengeful and absolutely addictive ! I'm sure Arland would quickly reach for his blood mace at the suggestion he's anything but a brutal fighting force of nature but I'm referring to the lack of ...more
Angela
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The published version is even better than the serial - considering how much I loved that....<3 <3 <3
Review to come.

January 2019 - online serial version. I love this world. Can't wait for more. Review to come of final purchased edition, when available.
Beth
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't get enough of this series. I love that it has transitioned into Maud and her daughter with the vampire planet as the back drop on which the adventure takes place. I've read the unedited, web published version as well as the ebook and have to say I loved them both and am glad I grabbed the ebook copy because the revisions added more to the story.
Robin (Bridge Four)
There is this thing about Ilona Andrews writing that almost always works for me. Again they have captured that blend of good story, interesting backdrop, fun characters, dash of humor, touch of alphaness, pinch of magic and a sprinkling of sword play baked at 322 pages for a delicious good time. You don’t have to have read any of the other books in this series to understand Sweep of the Blade, but you’d miss out on the great time that was Dina and Sean’s story.

Maud is a fighter, she’s been a
Wanda
A little treat that I purchased for myself, the paper version of the latest Innkeeper book. And of course, I couldn’t resist giving it another spin. I’ve read the first 3 books multiple times and now Sweep of the Blade will join that re-reading queue.

This is the polished version--previously I had enjoyed the weekly installments online--and I was pleasantly surprised at the couple of additions that made the story work so well. I’m also intrigued by the ending, which seems to indicate that there
Ursula
Well-written as always, but I'm afraid I did not mesh with Maud, Dina's sister, at all. Basically, she was a killing machine- tougher than a vampire. Really? I thought she was just a human, but what do I know? I am all for kick-arse heroines (I adore Nevada from Hidden Legacy- actually, I adore EVERYTHING about that series) but Maud's awesome sword fighting skillz were just a bit too unrealistic for me.

Our pretty vampire Arland (aka Rapunzel- thank you, Sean) was kind of sweet but
Hollis
This didn't have the usual IA kind of chemistry I expect from her couples but honestly? Everything else was kickass. That ending was mean, though, but honestly I've kind of come to expect it from this series. Speaking of which, I'll admit, it did take me a hot minute to slip back into this world after bouncing through so many other books, not to mention so many other IA worlds, but once I settled? I was in.

That's it, that's the review.
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
Sweep of the Blade is book four in the Innkeeper Chronicles series by Ilona Andrews. We are treated to Vampire politics, a wedding, a double cross, and battles that are very bloody.

OMG I loved the audio. I actually had the book and eBook on release day, but I was waiting for the audio to come out. I LOVE the audios for the previous books and felt this book would be so much better to listen too. I wasn’t disappointed.

In Sweep of the Blade we focus on Maud and her daughter. If you haven’t read
Maggie ☘ (Wonderland-Reader)
Ahhhh another cliffhanger! I want to know so much more. (view spoiler) Overall, I liked this one a lot, although was missing Dina and co. Helen and Maud and Arland are great. I'm curious to know who the next instalment will focus on: back on Dina as the first three books, or some completely new character..
RachelW (BamaGal)
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can’t believe it’s all over; but it’s been a wonderful ride. This has been a quality addition to an addictive series. And the bombshell dropped on the reader at the very end...the next serial can’t come quick enough!!

I'm a little late to the party; but it's been fun catching up...
Lady Heather
The Epilogue has been posted and the story ended with an epic surprise!
What a pleasure it was to read this book every week in Ilona Andrew's newsletter!
☕️Kimberly
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the fourth audiobook in the Innkeeper Chronicles and I love this series! Love it. The authors release this series first as a serial for free online to fans. Which I avoid like the Black Plague. Seriously, I want my wine glass filled to the brim and I want to enjoy it in one sitting until I am pleasantly buzzed. Usually the novel and audio release close together, but there was a delay. I bought the ebook to support the authors but held out because like red wine, audiobook is my drug of ...more
Mariah
June 25th, 2019 - Edit

JUST PLACED MY KINDLE PRE-ORDER

Cannot wait to get Maud & Helen & Arland in my Kindle - now with the addition of a certain scene omitted when publishing the chapters online.

IS IT JULY 16TH YET?

December 8th, 2018 - Review after finishing reading the online serial:
Okay. Confession time. Ever since Arland’s little declaration in the last Innkeeper book I’ve been sort of smitten.
Maud quickly became my favorite Demille sister (sorry Dina) with her strength and valor,
Treece
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

Rating: 5 stars

Cutting edge fight scenes, non-stop action, extraordinary world building and fabulous characters made this book more than worth my time. Maud
and Arland kick butt! Give me more. Now.
Beanbag Love
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent installment in the Innkeeper Chronicles by Ilona Andrews. I love this world they've built so much I knew I would love this even with the shift from Dina's POV to Maud's.

Maud is an extraordinary badass while at the same time being a blatantly affectionate and caring mom to a hilariously badass child. Arland is the vamp who loves them and who will do anything to keep them in his life. Even wait for Maud to decide she'll have him. He's so sweet!!!

This book takes place on a planet
Marianne
Not my favorite innkeeper novel, too bloody and gory. But hey, that's vampires for you. Still adore Arland, though. Interesting ending, will Klaus get his own novel next?

As always:

Thanks for this free serial to brighten up our weekends. Will read the finished product as well later on.

3.75 stars.
Holly
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SO good. That ending though... Pure evil.
Charlie
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite Ilona Andrews books!

I adored everything about this! Maud, Helen, Arland, the lees, Arland's terrifying mother, the child eating dragons, all of it!

I devoured this book, it's just amazing. I want to read it again and I can't wait for the next book in the series.
Girls, Guns and G...: Sweep of the Blade Late NR Thread 66 27 Oct 23, 2019 12:21PM
A Million More Pages: This topic has been closed to new comments. August 2019 BOTM - Sweep of the Blade 3 14 Aug 06, 2019 09:20AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Sweep of the Blade [July 23, 2019] 40 26 Jul 29, 2019 04:03PM

• Shattered Bonds (Jane Yellowrock, #13)
  • Archangel's War (Guild Hunter, #12)
  • Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
  • Aurora Blazing (Consortium Rebellion, #2)
  • Dime a Demon (Ordinary Magic, #4)
  • The Queen's Advantage (Rogue Queen, #2)
  • The Unkindest Tide (October Daye, #13)
  • The Blacksmith Queen (The Scarred Earth Saga, #1)
  • Dark Dancer (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #3)
  • Wolf Rain (Psy-Changeling Trinity, #3; Psy-Changeling, #18)
  • Shadow of Doubt (The Potentate of Atlanta, #1)
  • Night Stalker (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #2)
  • Shadow Hunter (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #1)
  • Tamiko and the Two Janitors (Amaranthine Saga, #3)
  • American Witch
  • Wicked Wings (Lizzie Grace, #5)
  • The Wind's Call (The Broken Lands, #4)
  • Magic Outside the Box (The Case Files of Henri Davenforth, #3)
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a better ...more

Innkeeper Chronicles (4 books)
  • Clean Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #1)
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
“the Law of Bronwyn had proven true again and again, so often that it was simply accepted. “Once a species is introduced to interstellar spaceflight, it will advance technologically but not socially” 3 likes
“He who is feared by my enemy is my shield.” 3 likes