Start by marking “The Hope of Christmas Past” as Want to Read:
The Hope of Christmas Past

The Hope of Christmas Past

When a mysterious painting offers her a trip to the past, will Isla find new hope for her future?

On the brink of aging out the foster system, the last thing Isla Laird wants is to spend Christmas in an old-fashioned plantation. What’s the point of bonding with her foster mom when it’s too late to ever be adopted? But when a mysterious painting suddenly thrusts her into t
Published November 1st 2019 by By The Vine Press

To ask other readers questions about The Hope of Christmas Past, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hope of Christmas Past

Start your review of The Hope of Christmas Past
Deanne Patterson
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Deanne by: cnnamongirl@aol.com
I've never had a miss with this author's books, ever.
She always keeps them fresh and exciting!
A young girl weeks away from turning eighteen and aging out of the adoption system is bitter. Feeling she's caused her parents death and afraid to let her guard down and love and be loved since the relationship won't "last."
I absolutely love old plantation homes and mansions and have toured as many as I could and look forward to touring so many more. Belmont Plantation sounds like a dr
Kailey
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a sweet novella! I really enjoyed it! This story idea was so unique and original. I loved it! I enjoyed this trip back to Belmont.

I was given a complimentary copy of this ebook from the author, but was not required to write a review. The thoughts and comments are my own.
Jessica Baker (A Baker's Perspective)
A time traveling Christmas novella that takes me back to one of my favorite settings from McGee!? Yes please! I was so eager to read this lovely Christmas story and I'm happy to report it did not disappoint. From the beginning McGee had my heart. I knew where the setting was taking me, but I was pleasantly surprised with the foster mom part of the story. Yes, I read the book blurb, but I wasn't sure what the dynamic would be between Ilsa and her foster mom. I could feel for both of these ladies, ...more
Paula Shreckhise
A Christian Time Travel??? Well, let’s suspend disbelief for now and enjoy this novella!
This was a unique story about a foster child, Isla, who is about to “age-out” of the system. She is a Christian but she has trust and self-worth issues.
Jody, her latest foster Mom has invited Isla to the historical Belmont Mansion B&B for a Christmas trip. Looking at a beautiful painting in the music room, Isla is transported back into the 1800’s where she meets Ella, a woman who looks enough like her t
Beth Erin
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review and the first line featured on FaithfullyBookish.com

The Hope of Christmas Past is a sweet and inspiring afternoon read filled with moments of laughter and sprinkled with happy tears. Aside from the tastefully executed time-slip element, Isla's story reads much like an encouraging coming of age story. The author's portrayal of this young lady's heart and jumbled emotions are genuine and relatable. Messages of hope, belonging, and love soothe the bittersweet longings for lo
Sydney
A sweet and fun story of the fear of aging out of the foster system with a bit of time travel mixed in. Author Stephenia H. McGee has written a charming story where readers will be able to connect to the emotions of the main character, especially her fears of aging out of the foster care system. With a bit of time travel mixed in where the main character meets some of her family from the past, the main character comes to learn that is she is loved and wanted and there is hope for a miracle of ho ...more
Julia
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Hope Of Christmas Past by Stephenia H McGee is a delightful Christian timeslip novella that will warm your heart.
There are all the elements to make a perfect Christmas wrapped up in tantalising descriptions. A warm welcome awaits the reader.
Themes of taking care of widows and orphans, and the all encompassing love of God swell the reader’s heart. God loves us forever and always, even when we think we have messed up. His love is unconditional.
Christmas is the time for snow a
Debbie
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't normally read time travel books, because I've always thought it just didn't fit in with my favorite Genre', Historical Romance. Well, I gave it a shot with Miss Stephenia's book, Her Place in Time, and I loved it. Just as I loved this one. Of course this isn't a romance story, but it is about love and acceptance.

Miss Stephenia has a way with time, yes, but she has an even better grasp on time travel and how to fit the two different time periods together to weave a wonderful s
E
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The Hope of Christmas Past is an amazing story of finding peace, hope, and family.
I was hooked the moment I started reading and I did not want to stop.
Isla is perfectly portrayed as teen who is being foisted into adulthood and doesn't know what to do about it. Isla's past forced her to grow up far too quickly and now that she will soon be considered an adult and forced to become truly alone she is lost within her hurt and so burdened that she can't see the hope right in front of her.
The myste
Lori
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this author's books and I try never to miss one!!
I loved this story so much!!
Stephenia is a very talented writer and her style of writing is wonderful. I love it because of the ability
to draw you into the book from the opening page! Almost reminds me of a Mary Poppins type of story. I won't say why because it will give away the story and I don't want to do that!!
The characters in this story are wonderful and exciting! They're also easy to make friends with well all except one. Is
Vicky Sluiter
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my! Author Stephenia McGee certainly knows how to write an intriguing, split time story. She wonderfully ties two time periods together, making her story easy to follow.

This novella reminds us that life isn’t always easy as McGee writes about a young woman who is in the foster care system. She just wants someone to be her forever family, yet feels that will never happen and pushes her foster mother away. But it’s Christmas, the time for miracles and Isla has an adventure ahead! ...more
Jeanne Alfveby Crea
What a sweet novella! I love time travel stories, and Stephenia H McGee really knows how to write compelling time travel stories (Her Place in Time is another amazing story), and she really has perfected the novella format of drawing you in immediately into a short story. I really enjoyed The Hope of Christmas Past. Isla, the main character is about to age out of the foster system after losing her parents at a young age. What's the point of getting close to her latest foster mom? She finds heali ...more
Brenda
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this novella. A time travel story that was fun and unique with wonderful characters. The old Belmont plantation was the perfect place for Isla and her foster Mom, Jody, at Christmas, even though Isla didn’t think so. When Isla “fell” into a different time and visited Ella from the past I knew this was going to be a wonderful book. Isla learned a lesson but would that make her realize the truth? This book has a spiritual aspect that we can all learn and was very intriguing.
I rec
Janice Sisemore
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
The Hope of Christmas past

Isla and her foster mom goes to bed and breakfast to spend a few days. Isla is getting very close to eighteen when will be out of the foster care system. What will she do then?

While at the bed and breakfast Isla ends up going back in time to the 1800’s. She learned a lot from the family there. Will she make it back to the present time?

This a short story that has a lot of meaning to it. I really loved the concept of the story.

I received a complimentary copy of the bo
Carolyn Bryant
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Hope of Christmas Past is a beautiful, enjoyable story. Through believable characters, vivid descriptions, and an extraordinary plot, Ms. McGee has crafted a very inspiring story of hope, trust, and family ties. It was fun getting reacquainted with Ella from In His Eyes, one of my favorite books by Ms. McGee. I highly recommend this Christmas Novella.
I was given an advanced copy of this book with no obligation to post a positive review. All thoughts and comments are my own.
Julia
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would rate this book higher if I could.
It has an obnoxious, hurt teenager trying to make sense of her life.
Time travel back to the 1800, a very different lifestyle and finding meaning to her life.
The reassurance of love from those around her & that family comes in many disguises.
I loved this book, & read it from beginning to end in one sitting.
Stephanie has once again written a great book, an interesting storyline that succeeded.

I received an a
Joan Arning
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time travel is not my favorite genre but The Hope of Christmas Past was an enjoyable read! My heart went out to orphan Isla Laird who has been in multiple foster homes and is now going to age out! She just wants to feel loved! Isla and her foster mother, Jody, are great characters! Ella, from the past, is a caring mother figure. You will enjoy this Christmas novella. I received a complimentary e-book from the author. This is my honest opinion,
Kelly
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Christmas Hope

Do you ever feel rejected? Abandoned? Like you don'tfit in anywhere? I do sometimes, and Isla did as well. I very much ennoyed this story, for the neat time-traves aspect, and especially for the powerful message that each of us are God's beloved children. Very well done!
Hulah
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very unique and charming story.
I really enjoyed the time travel element; well thought out and vividly described. If you are looking for something a little different from a typical Christmas story; look no further.
Carol
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed The Hope of Christmas Past by Stephenia H. McGee. Thought provoking and imaginative novella. Wouldn't it be exciting to journey into the past and discover how life used to be. Great characters and a lovely story with family, dealing with loss and a new beginning. Isla and her foster mother go to an old plantation for Christmas holiday, where she finds a portrait and is taken back into the nineteenth century. What she finds there will change her life.

Looking forward for more by this au
James T. Higgins
Cheryl Willams
Cindy Adams
Amy
Nov 01, 2019

• A Match for Emma (Mitchell's Crossroads #3)
  • Once Upon a Dickens Christmas: 3 Charming Christmas Tales Set in Victorian England
  • A Gift Like No Other (An O'Connor Christmas)
  • Like a Winter Snow (Port Willis)
  • Christmas at Whitefriars
  • Lessons on Love: 4 Schoolteachers Find More Than They Bargained for in Their Contracts
  • The Duke's Second Chance (Lords for the Sisters of Sussex #1)
  • The Bright Unknown
  • The Witness Tree
  • Hope's Highest Mountain (Heirs of Montana, #1)
  • Aiming for Love (Brides of Hope Mountain, #1)
  • Christmas in Winter Hill
  • The Spice King (Hope and Glory, #1)
  • Silent Night Suspect
  • Cameo Courtships: 4 Stories of Women Whose Lives Are Touched by a Legendary Gift
  • Practically Married
  • The Rebel Bride (Daughter of the Mayflower, #10)
  • A Distance Too Grand (American Wonders Collection, #1)

Stephenia H. McGee is a wife, mother of two very active little boys, author, and lover of history. She currently lives in Mississippi with her husband and sons where she writes stories of faith, redemption and the deep south.